Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Those recruiter rankings often don't really tell the true story on recruitments, so what Mehringer really brought on that front might not match up with where 247 has him. I tend to agree with your assessment, but if Herman still sees him as weak link this would be the time to pawn him off as an OC to a G5 or another Rutgers. Maybe Mehringer has learned some things and is trending up as a coach and recruiter? Does @closetojumping have a pulse on the current situation?

I know CTJ is a big fan of Meh so I seriously doubt he would say anything disparaging towards him.

12 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Those recruiter rankings often don't really tell the true story on recruitments, so what Mehringer really brought on that front might not match up with where 247 has him. I tend to agree with your assessment, but if Herman still sees him as weak link this would be the time to pawn him off as an OC to a G5 or another Rutgers. Maybe Mehringer has learned some things and is trending up as a coach and recruiter? Does @closetojumping have a pulse on the current situation?

He may or may not, but he will have a bombastic and lengthy post either way. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

JT Daniels is a stud and will be every bit on Sams level in a year. 

I think there’s a difference in having stud qualities than actually getting to put them to use. His environment is not letting him use his full potential and bru should be able to see that. 

Obviously Sam played poor last year and progressed  tremendously this season. So one could say the future isn’t all dark for Daniels, especially being a highly touted QB on the recruiting circuit, but I think you have to look at it differently. Do you want to go to a program with a proven QB or go to one that you hope will live up to his potential with a coaching staff that’s on the riffs right now? 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

The stronger we close this season the less likely we are to replace staff outside of Warehime and possibly Giles. With the improvement CJ and LJH have shown plus Mehringer being the #3 recruiter in the country, I just can’t see that there would be any justification to push him out. Same with Beck - very good recruiter, clearly doing a great job with Sam. The only reason he goes is if Herman truly doesnt want to call plays. I would love to have Beatty and/or Tee Martin, I just don’t see either happening at the moment.

IMHO it's due to better OL play than any coaching being done by Meh and Beck. When your QB can eat a sandwich while surveying the field he's going to be better and make better decisions unless he's a complete imbecile (which Sam is not). 

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IMHO it's due to better OL play than any coaching being done by Meh and Beck. When your QB can eat a sandwich while surveying the field he's going to be better and make better decisions unless he's a complete imbecile (which Sam is not). 

Completely agree, but the receivers have also made a huge leap in using their physicality and beating coverage. I would be hard pressed to believe much of that may not be just two great athletes maturing, but you know how these things go when coaches get to take credit for these kinds of things. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

There is no guarantee of this at all. Especially in such a dysfunctional environment

This....Daniels and some of the defensive players got into it on the sideline and the cameras caught a little of it. Helton has 100% lost this team if it wasnt evident already.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

lulz. Yes. Johnson, Humphrey, Duvernay, and Ehlinger have absolutely shown no signs of improvement at all. No consistency in running routes, blocking down field, checking in and out of plays at the LOS. Yep absolutely no improvement. Meanwhile the OL is still inconsistent and the running game without Sam is abysmal.

The retarded gymnastics used to denigrate the coaching staff is hilarious.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

lulz. Yes. Johnson, Humphrey, Duvernay, and Ehlinger have absolutely shown no signs of improvement at all. No consistency in running routes, blocking down field, checking in and out of plays at the LOS. Yep absolutely no improvement. Meanwhile the OL is still inconsistent and the running game without Sam is abysmal.

The retarded gymnastics used to denigrate the coaching staff is hilarious.

People don’t want to be wrong on the Internet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Went from concerned about recruiting last night to encouraged. With OU barely squeaking by OSU, it legitimizes our loss to them a bit and shows that the conference is wild this year. It also shows that there’s room for top defenders in our lineup, and lots of stats to get for skill position players. If we can somehow close out ISU, I think we close great down the stretch. 9-3 or even 8-4 is solid.

That’s not how any of this works. Players aren’t making decisions based off one game or transitive property logic. We won’t win or lose a single recruit based on Iowa state. 

• Like 2

Holy shit, Daniels and Ehlinger's stats from their first years are literally identical.

FR QB 9 159 277 57.4 1975 7.1 6.8 11 7 125.3
      FR QB 9 158 275 57.5 1915 7.0 6.6 11 7 124.1

Difference is that Daniels will have a brand new offense next year while Ehlinger will be going into year three of consistency, so I don't see Daniels being better than Sam at this point next year.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Holy shit, Daniels and Ehlinger's stats from their first years are literally identical.

FR QB 9 159 277 57.4 1975 7.1 6.8 11 7 125.3
      FR QB 9 158 275 57.5 1915 7.0 6.6 11 7 124.1

Difference is that Daniels will have a brand new offense next year while Ehlinger will be going into year three of consistency, so I don't see Daniels being better than Sam at this point next year.

Great points, and I don’t mean to nitpick, but those stats aren’t “literally identical.”  Carry on.

Daniels is good, but Sam has "it". Grit, toughness, will to win, doesn't lock on to his first receiver. If only we had better defenders....

But I digress. Cosmi looks like a stud, Vahe is gone (thank Christ), Shack is back, Kerstetter will be back, Okafor should progress (hopefully), Imade (unknown), Angilau (let's hope he takes the Cosmi route of bad ass, and I don't know who else? Another grad transfer?

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Daniels is good, but Sam has "it". Grit, toughness, will to win, doesn't lock on to his first receiver. If only we had better defenders....

But I digress. Cosmi looks like a stud, Vahe is gone (thank Christ), Shack is back, Kerstetter will be back, Okafor should progress (hopefully), Imade (unknown), Angilau (let's hope he takes the Cosmi route of bad ass, and I don't know who else? Another grad transfer?

Ghirmai has to end up somewhere, too.

That’s not how any of this works. Players aren’t making decisions based off one game or transitive property logic. We won’t win or lose a single recruit based on Iowa state. 

You’re right. I was talking about me and my wussy insecurities about recruits. I’m sure they’ve been fine all along.

31 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I am still holding out hope that Hudson contributes. My ideal line for next year would be something like Cosmi, Hudson, Shackleford, Angilau, Kerstetter.. But I would love to see someone beat Shack out. He is good for at least one penalty, and at least one free pass rusher per game

Edited by Vertigo

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I am still holding out hope that Hudson contributes. My ideal line for next year would be something like Cosmi, Hudson, Shackleford, Angilau, Kerstetter.. 

Good list, but like I said I read Hudson is getting a medical. I hope that's wrong because he could be a beast. He's a freaking rock.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Good list, but like I said I read Hudson is getting a medical. I hope that's wrong because he could be a beast. He's a freaking rock.

I havent read any reports confirming one way or the other, but if he cant go then maybe Kerstetter moves inside or we pull in a GT at guard, or we let Ghirmai, Moore, and Okafor battle it out for the last spot.

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am still holding out hope that Hudson contributes. My ideal line for next year would be something like Cosmi, Hudson, Shackleford, Angilau, Kerstetter.. But I would love to see someone beat Shack out. He is good for at least one penalty, and at least one free pass rusher per game

Okafor will be the likely starting RT next year. Kerstetter is better inside, and would love for him to replace Shackelford.

Most likely it's Cosmi(SOr), Angilau(FRr), Shackelford(SR), Kerstetter(JR), Okafor(JRr).

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I havent read any reports confirming one way or the other, but if he cant go then maybe Kerstetter moves inside or we pull in a GT at guard, or we let Ghirmai, Moore, and Okafor battle it out for the last spot.

That would make the most sense. Get a GT and let the rest battle it out. I'm down with that. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Has anyone said what his condition actually is? I was under the impression that it was a heat stroke.

I think he's had several of them since he's been at Texas. That is the problem, and the doctors have been unable to determine what is causing them.

Edited by HtownHorn