Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Prepare for most UT commits to free fall.

Do we have any predictions?

ill go with Tyler Johnson dropping because no camps.  

Jake smith will drop a bit and they will say his competition is why his numbers are so good.

Kenyatta will move up, because of the visiting other(sec) schools.

Sweat should move up.

They will find a way to drop the Wiley from Temple since he doesn’t play TE in High school.

they will bump some aggy to create a fight for number 1 in country just watch. 

Edited by Dondrysdale1
Add

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Thanks man, was a shot in the dark but want to try and understand where guys fit generally - I feel like I have a decent understanding of DL and LB positions (and DB overall) but WR is just not something I have a great grasp on!

Know Wilson/Higgins aren't coming here but wanted to see where they fit!

Wilson and Higgins both play the X but we also pitched Higgins to play slot like LJH. However, I think Herman would really prefer to have a speed guy like Jake Smith in the slot given the choice.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Wilson and Higgins both play the X but we also pitched Higgins to play slot like LJH. However, I think Herman would really prefer to have a speed guy like Jake Smith in the slot given the choice.

In Herman's offense, the receivers are as follows:

X - big outside receiver (Collin Johnson, Washington, Lewis) usually to the boundary

H - slot receiver, half receiver/half running back type, (LJ, Jake Smith, Whittington). With more slot types, the offense can feature 4 and 5 wide with two slots.

Z - speed, speed, and more speed outside receiver to the field side (Duvernay, Houston)

Y - tight end (Beck, Brewer)

T - running back

Wilson was recruited as a H primarily but also as a Z.

Higgins was recruited as a H and a X.

• Like 2

🚨🚨 

Update on 5️ #ATH Bru McCoy (24/7):

“I love the program, primarily the coaches and the environment,” McCoy said. “Austin is a really cool city. The program is on the up and up. You look at Coach (Tom) Herman and what he did at Houston and now transferring that to Texas, you can see where the program is heading.”

“Coach Herman brings this up-tempo energy about himself, and he’s very charismatic,” McCoy said. “Coach Mehringer is a really genuine and nice guy. He cares a lot about his players, specifically the receivers, in all facets of life. The relationship between me and Coach Herman, Coach Mehringer and Coach Beck is strong.”

“The message they’ve conveyed to me is the best way to grow as a person is to make yourself uncomfortable,” McCoy said. “They think I can stay at home and be comfortable. But if you want to grow as a man, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Texas offers a great place to grow, and Austin is a great city.”

“Austin is different. The culture is very football based. They are all in football fans. Going to the game and watching 103,000 people scream chants, I’ve never experienced that, and you don’t get that experience in California given the number of teams. Texas is the football school that represents Texas, in my opinion."

“Austin has a lot of different aspects to it music wise, and you have the lakes. It’s gorgeous. And you have the city. It’s a cool place.”

“He’s (De'Gabriel Floyd) recruiting me as hard as anyone has ever recruited me,” McCoy said. “Gabe is one of my friends. I know he has my best interest in mind but also, I know he wants me to be his teammate. Me and him did get to play a little in 7-on-7 in the offseason. He’s a freak of a player. He tells me why he’s going there and why he’s so confident. He told me I shouldn’t be worried because we have each other’s backs. He’s done a great job of making me comfortable if that were the decision I were to make.”

“It’s a tough comparison,” McCoy said. “They are both different and the same. They are very rich tradition programs that go way back. People look at the Vince Young run to the end zone to beat USC. Obviously, they blew USC out this year. But the programs are comparable in the sense that they are highly competitive and strive to be the best.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

In Herman's offense, the receivers are as follows:

X - big outside receiver (Collin Johnson, Washington, Lewis) usually to the boundary

H - slot receiver, half receiver/half running back type, (LJ, Jake Smith, Whittington). With more slot types, the offense can feature 4 and 5 wide with two slots.

Z - speed, speed, and more speed outside receiver to the field side (Duvernay, Houston)

Y - tight end (Beck, Brewer)

T - running back

Wilson was recruited as a H primarily but also as a Z.

Higgins was recruited as a H and a X.

But, I thought Wilson wasn't that fast - Speed, speed, speed - Z?

Here's the updated Top247 (not to be confused with the composite): https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

1. Nolan Smith

2. Derek Stingley

4. Bru McCoy

9. Trey Sanders

16. Garrett Wilson

20. Baylor Cupp

23. Marcel Brooks

24. DeMarvin Leal

29. Jeffery Carter

37. Kenyon Green

43. Demani Richardson

46. Tyler Johnson

47. Spencer Rattler

54. Trejan Bridges

56. Theo Wease

59. Elijah Higgins

63. De'Gabriel Floyd

71. Dylan Wright

72. Stacey Wilkins

76. Tyler Owens

96. Rian Davis

97. Austin Stogner

108. Marquez Beason

113. NaNa Osafo-Mensah

120. EJ Ndoma-Ogar

124. Marcus Banks

130. Lewis Cine

131. Brian Williams

132. Branson Bragg

134. Jordan Whittington

144. Christian Harris

155. Jake Smith

179. Chris Adimora

195. Erick Young

196. Brayden Liebrock

198. Marcus Stripling

209. Andre White

216. Langston Anderson

231. Isaiah Hookfin

236. David Gbenda

Notable movers:

Derek Stingley to number 2 overall prospect in the country.

Trey Sanders is now in the top 10.

Baylor Cupp moved up 33 spots and is in 5* territory.

DeMarvin Leal moved up 20 spots and is also in 5* territory.

Stacey Wilkins moved up 27 spots.

NaNa Osafo-Mensah dropped 41 spots out of the top 100.

EJ Ndoma-Ogar dropped 29 spots to also fall out of the top 100.

TCU RB commit Daimarqua Foster out of Wichita Falls jumped up 109 spots.

Jake Smith moved up 32 spots (as mentioned).

TCU QB commit Max Duggan jumped up 70 spots to enter the Top247.

Langston Anderson, the WR out of Midlothian that we offered in the summer but never pushed for, jumped up 329 spots to enter the Top247.

Hookfin jumped up 320 spots and gained his 4th star.

Jaylen Ellis got a big bump.

Shepherd, Tamauzia Brown, Wolfe, and Arjei Henderson all fell out of the top 30 in Texas.

Edited by Machinator

25 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

🚨🚨 

Update on 5️ #ATH Bru McCoy (24/7):

“I love the program, primarily the coaches and the environment,” McCoy said. “Austin is a really cool city. The program is on the up and up. You look at Coach (Tom) Herman and what he did at Houston and now transferring that to Texas, you can see where the program is heading.”

“Coach Herman brings this up-tempo energy about himself, and he’s very charismatic,” McCoy said. “Coach Mehringer is a really genuine and nice guy. He cares a lot about his players, specifically the receivers, in all facets of life. The relationship between me and Coach Herman, Coach Mehringer and Coach Beck is strong.”

“The message they’ve conveyed to me is the best way to grow as a person is to make yourself uncomfortable,” McCoy said. “They think I can stay at home and be comfortable. But if you want to grow as a man, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Texas offers a great place to grow, and Austin is a great city.”

“Austin is different. The culture is very football based. They are all in football fans. Going to the game and watching 103,000 people scream chants, I’ve never experienced that, and you don’t get that experience in California given the number of teams. Texas is the football school that represents Texas, in my opinion."

“Austin has a lot of different aspects to it music wise, and you have the lakes. It’s gorgeous. And you have the city. It’s a cool place.”

“He’s (De'Gabriel Floyd) recruiting me as hard as anyone has ever recruited me,” McCoy said. “Gabe is one of my friends. I know he has my best interest in mind but also, I know he wants me to be his teammate. Me and him did get to play a little in 7-on-7 in the offseason. He’s a freak of a player. He tells me why he’s going there and why he’s so confident. He told me I shouldn’t be worried because we have each other’s backs. He’s done a great job of making me comfortable if that were the decision I were to make.”

“It’s a tough comparison,” McCoy said. “They are both different and the same. They are very rich tradition programs that go way back. People look at the Vince Young run to the end zone to beat USC. Obviously, they blew USC out this year. But the programs are comparable in the sense that they are highly competitive and strive to be the best.”

That is a good quote.  Reads like his head is here and heart at USC.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think I would like this, too. LJH is awesome, but man, I'd kill for some speedy YAC.

Nahlin on RB recruiting:

Texas is catching a bit of a break with Georgia appearing like it will add Fort Lauderdale runner Kenny McIntosh. There was a brief window during the summer where it looked like Noah Cain was going to be a Bulldog but then Georgia landed John Emery. 

With Emery de-committing from UGA, they renewed interest in Cain to the point he was going to officially visit. It now sounds like that visit will not take place and McIntosh is the priority.

The majority of McIntosh’s crystal balls were for Miami but he didn’t hold a Canes offer despite his brother playing there. 

Miami is now central to this plot because it appears to be the front-runner for late-riser DJ Williams, a nephew of Edgerrin James, who Texas offered last week. Miami thinks they get him but they’re in the midst of a four game losing streak and their class is nothing to write home about.

Williams will take an official visit to UT the weekend of December 8th when numerous commits will be in town. He’s more explosive than Cain — a better athlete in general — but might not provide the immediate impact. 

The Shelby, Florida product will take an official to Auburn this week for the yearly late-season SEC bye week and Miami the week after when it takes on a surging Pitt.

Williams is tentatively scheduled to take an official to Georgia right before NSD1 but again, it looks like Smart wants McIntosh.

Five-star Trey Sanders visited Florida this past weekend. After hearing UT surged (heard that from outside of UT circles) it sounds like Bama is the team to beat (once again or still). That’s at least the impression of the Florida staff. Assuming Florida misses on Sanders they could figure into the Williams recruitment but they like others too.

What I heard about UT and Sanders at least gives me hope they can pull off Cain.

When swimming in these waters you have to cast a wider net. I knew a new RB offer was going to go out but had no idea to who. Williams is an excellent candidate, though no easy pull. Fortunately I’m still picking Cain to UT, assuming Emery ends up at LSU.

41 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

That is a good quote.  Reads like his head is here and heart at USC.  

Yup.... we need USC to completely meltdown.  He wants to be an early enrollee.  Need Helton to be fired so he doesn’t know who is coaches will be.  Only way i see us getting him.

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yup.... we need USC to completely meltdown.  He wants to be an early enrollee.  Need Helton to be fired so he doesn’t know who is coaches will be.  Only way i see us getting him.

I’m sure Bru is going to be impressed by Helton going 6-6 and getting fired.

Bru so wants to just be a "USC guy" (like many of us on this board are Texas guys, no matter what).  I hope Bru comes to Texas - he won't regret it if he does - but personally I'm backing away from this one for awhile.

I am intrigued by the Williams RB, though.  I love those Newhouse types that can actually play (and Robert was a PLAYER both at UH and as a DC), so if we can get us one, let's get us one, lol.

Edited by XOVERX
I'm stupid.

Next year we'll have at RB

Keontay

Daniel Young?

Toniel? 

Derrian Brown.

would we look at bringing in 3 rbs.  figure Toneil is gone.  Not sure about Young.  

Probably not the best allocation of spots, but that's a pretty dicey depth chart unless I'm missing someone.

Brown, Cain? DJ Williams.

Williams can RS

I'm sure this is ridiculous but that RB room is thin unless we look at GT

Edited by Post Oak

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm hearing that we're back in the running with Wilson. He really likes all of the shady shit that Smith accused Herman of doing. He's still probably going to OSU, but if Herman can get caught trying to cover up  abuse scandals or maybe running some kind of homeless person fight club ring, he might be able to land Wilson. 

This reads like “visiting fan” fan fiction. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Based on his offers, and that he goes to Episcopal so in-state tuition should be quite doable, I'm sure he's able to look at the longterm values of those two degrees and make the smart choice.

This is gonna be kinda stereotypical, but his HUDL film looks like a cross between Max (Rob?) Cummins' and Max Wright's.  Kid has a decent frame and could potential grow into a good looking 4i prospect.  He could also grow into a decently sized blocking TE.

The fact that he's basically a free recruit is fucking awesome.