Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Perception of Herman whiffing on all high profile national recruits, such as Bru, Sanders, & Cain. 

Bru and Sanders are totally different recruitments - they're top 10 OOS recruits - no one bats an eye if Texas misses out on them.  Cain is much different perception-wise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

After our morning workout this morning a stray kitten came and watched.  When The workout was over, it came over to the group to join in the group photo.  The little guy came right up to me and sat anxiously waiting for me to turn around.  When I acknowledged it, the cute little smokey gray fur ball looked up with it’s green eyes it gave a commanding meow.  He was saying that we got this.  I reached down and said hello Bru.  It instinctively jumped up into my hands.  The trainer said we can’t leave it in the parking lot.  With four kids, a guinea pig, and a dog my wife would not appreciate me bringing home another animal, the substitute trainer decided to take it home and post pictures on Facebook of the lost animal.  I’ll just take it as a sign.  Bru will be a Longhorn ... believe it.  True story.

giphy.gif

I’ve always thought the “don’t go after highly rated recruits because you might not get them” is the most cowardly recruiting idea.

Seems like a lot of these 995ers are cowards... probably how you end up in a dead end job, begging High Schoolers to be your friend.

Fuck it, go after all badass out of state recruits. You might land a Ricky or a Burt or a Floyd.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ew, he's kind of right. Good class, obvious holes, fruitless OOS fishing expeditions (though we did lock down some great OOSers early).

Need a strong second signing period.

DuuixDrUUAArhPT.jpg

The fuck are you talking about?  We already have a back in the class and are likely going to push for Glass as a second.  On top of that - there was nothing fruitless about our OOS recruiting - Floyd and Jake Smith think you're out of your mind.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’ve always thought the “don’t go after highly rated recruits because you might not get them” is the most cowardly recruiting idea.

Seems like a lot of these 995ers are cowards... probably how you end up in a dead end job, begging High Schoolers to be your friend.

Fuck it, go after all badass out of state recruits. You might land a Ricky or a Burt or a Floyd.

9.95'ers are the same idiots that thought we should have gone all in on Grant Tisdale, that Gunnell would have an 'effect' and that Rondale Moore was a wasted scholarship.

3 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Uh, most of the 9.95ers have praised the staff for shooting for the moon.

It's the people on Surly and other message boards who have 1) eviscerated the 9.95ers for being over-congratulatory and 2) criticized the staff for wasting time and resources on recruitments that we were never going to win (allegedly).

But like you said, there's a difference between going after guys like Bru McCoy and Sanders vs. guys like Smith, Washington, Warren, etc. The former two are the elite-ist of the elite that you always want to throw your hat in the ring for. The others, despite being great as well, have in-state analogues, meaning the decision to pursue them signals a deliberate strategy of OOS emphasis.

Edited by satyanash
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

But like you said, there's a difference between going after guys like Bru McCoy and Sanders vs. guys like Smith, Washington, Warren, etc. The former two are the elite-ist of the elite that you always want to throw your hat in the ring for. The others, despite being great as well, have in-state analogues, meaning the decision to pursue them signals a deliberate strategy of OOS emphasis.

Who was Jake Smith's in state analogue?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

With Jimbo coming in and having a very thin depth chart so he can sell playing time + Aggie adoption of SEC recruiting tactics going OOS for analogues in places were you have strength (AZ with Beck, CA due to prior years, FL as well due to prior years) is called good strategery.  

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You are losing credibility by the day if you are going to be a rankings slave and not put De'Gabriel Floyd and Jake Smith (and arguably Whittington) in the same talent tier as Bru and Sanders.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Who in state compares with Jake Smith or D'Gabriel Floyd? Another terrible take from a poster with a Hall of Fame career in terrible takes. For fuck's sake man. Your ability to shit all over positive things is fucking impressive. 

He has Longhorn recruiting dysmorphic disorder. 

Does RynoAg not realize that Aggy offered both of those guys as well, they just got eliminated because they are fucking Aggy? Hell, they brought Sanders spare ass older brother Umstead to campus on an official visit in attempt to gain some kind of foot in the door. Clearly none of them realize we have Derrian Brown as well.  

fucking idiots. 

Who in state compares with Jake Smith or D'Gabriel Floyd? Another terrible take from a poster with a Hall of Fame career in terrible takes. For fuck's sake man. Your ability to shit all over positive things is fucking impressive. 

The one that "maybe" compares to Smith in-state, they're bringing him in, too (Whittington).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

. The others, despite being great as well, have in-state analogues, meaning the decision to pursue them signals a deliberate strategy of OOS emphasis.

Fucking negged for idiocy. I've apparently hit the absolute fucking limit with your bullshit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas is loaded with WRs year after year, so it was more of a general statement. But Wease and Bridges both come to mind. All three are athletic enough to play the H-back/slot WR role and do a great job at it.

You could also put Wease and running back because he's athletic enough to do it, but it doesn't really make sense to compare him to Trey Sanders

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

and Jordan Whittington

agreed...

I was looking at the top 10 let's say in Texas - 

I understand the S / CB commitments to the Farmers and others. Tough depth to break at UT

Green is from Humble. Houston / East Texas aggy pull.. they sometimes just don't know better

Leal is the outlier here ($)

Next 20 

Henderson, Osafo-Mensah, Ndoma-Ogar, Bragg... wtf

1. Championship caliber

2. Program cultural fit

3. Like their recruiter, their position coach, and our head coach.  

4. No special “in” at another school.  

Its a pretty tall order to find nearly all your players that satisfy the above criteria from one state, in a state where every school in the country recruits like crazy.  

1 minute ago, TexasBeta said:

agreed...

I understand the S / CB commitments to the Farmers and others. Tough depth to break at UT

Green is from Humble. Houston / East Texas aggy pull.. they sometimes just don't know better

Next 20 

Bragg and Leal are the two big misses

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Even if you had a point (which you don't),  this strategy just means that we didn't fucking settle for in-state back-ups when the top Texas options went elsewhere, you lunatic.

• Like 5

Just now, TexasBeta said:

agreed...

Next 20 

Henderson is a head case and we passed on him, rightfully so.

Osafo-Mensah is a miss, but there are also questions about his motor and his level of competition. Nevertheless, it would be naive to say we didn't whiff on him at the time, given that the staff appeared to be pushing for him.

The staff didn't push for EJNO, and time will tell if that was a wise decision or not. Of course, he's also an Allen prospect, so you know how that goes.

Bragg - fuck Stanford. The staff needs to figure out how to overcome that.

• Like 1

People can bitch about losing out on McCoy and Sanders all they want, the biggest recruiting loss this cycle to me will continue to be Bragg. We have not landed true "potential" all conference interior lineman in forever, and he was an admitted lifelong fan and we just couldn't close.

• Like 1