Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 more IT comments (Whittington, Catalon)

Spoiler

Wells: Whittington = RB, slot, KR, PR. In that order.

/

Nahlin: Catalon is about to meet with Patterson. As of now TCU doesn’t have a good read for where he’s leaning, just that Arky, TCU, and UT are in it.

Their most recent read before this was Ark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB says staff doing an in home with Ira Henry. Seems to be focusing on him for our last OL take regardless of shep. Teammate of Washington and cooper

Hadn't watched his highlights before now (and can only find Junior year clips available).  But damn.  That kid is massive. 

Some decent clips of him changing direction on the DL, too, but doesn't seem to have great knee bend.  His recent photos appear to show a much slimmer kid, though.  Gotta think the staff sees him as an interior lineman, right?

12 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Hadn't watched his highlights before now (and can only find Junior year clips available).  But damn.  That kid is massive. 

Some decent clips of him changing direction on the DL, too, but doesn't seem to have great knee bend.  His recent photos appear to show a much slimmer kid, though.  Gotta think the staff sees him as an interior lineman, right?

He's a big dude who's a project. Hand seems to like that type 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

TFB says staff doing an in home with Ira Henry. Seems to be focusing on him for our last OL take regardless of shep. Teammate of Washington and cooper

I think they will still pursue a JUCO as well given the amount of them they're evaluating.

Just now, ImissWallyPryor said:

I need advice on where to go for the best rankings/commit lists (both current and past) since 247 seems to have blocked much of their content from non-subscribers.  I used Rivals in the past, but their ranking system seemed... suspect.

247's rankings are free 

1 minute ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I need advice on where to go for the best rankings/commit lists (both current and past) since 247 seems to have blocked much of their content from non-subscribers.  I used Rivals in the past, but their ranking system seemed... suspect.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

247 composite is still the best even though the ratings that make up the composite seem to be getting more and more suspect. None of their rankings or commit lists are blocked. Just their CBs and other inside info, most of which is a complete dumpster fire anyways.

Edit: What Fud and Mach said, just in more words.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

247's rankings are free 

That's weird, because on both my mobile app and full website, when you click a school, they only show the top three recruits plus three random.  And it won't take me to the individual recruit's page.  I assumed that meant the info was available only to subscribers.

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That's weird, because on both my mobile app and full website, when you click a school, they only show the top three recruits plus three random.  And it won't take me to the individual recruit's page.  I assumed that meant the info was available only to subscribers.

They might be doing site updates.  I just tried and wasn't able to click on any of the teams on the Team Rankings Page.  

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This link should show all of UT's commits: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This link should show all of UT's commits: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Using both of these links works, but when I go to the team rankings on my own, I'm still running into road blocks.  I'll assume Hiphopopotamos's theory is correct.

Put me in the camp of if Shepard comes here okay and if he goes to aggy IDMAS in the grand scheme of Texas football.   Maybe he can be just like Jorrie Adams or the lineman that got booted for beating his meat in an aggy parking lot.  He can always consult with those other aggy Mensas like Johnny Manziel and the Bennett brothers.  If he needs to do some community service, he can go visit Thomas Johnson on weekends.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Let's cut this young man some slack. 99% of posters here have no idea what its like to be recruited. Coaches who are for the most part good salesmen are trying to convince a 17 year old that he needs to come to their school. This young man like most recruits is being pulled in many different ways. Some may care about the young man and some may not. Maybe this young man has some character issues.  So did every one of us when we were 17.  We have kids in college that screw up.  Maybe he doesn't have a solid support system at home like most of us did.  This young man could turn out to be a lottery pick or could be a bench warmer for his entire career. No one knows until he has a chance to prove himself.

If he comes to Texas great. If he choses another school wish him well.

You said young man 5 times in one paragraph. That seems weird regardless of who you're talking about.

10 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

i'm sorry. i cant think of a less discrete crowd than FWK, Hamm, bag hag and aggy. 

if this kid was bought and paid for and was gonna flip. thered be noise. loud noise. 

i'm not a fan of Shepherds antics. but if he didnt flip while at aggy, and there isnt "we are making avideo" type noise coming off the visit. then the kid is still solid to texas. 

Or the kid is making sure to keep the auction running a few more weeks.

IT (most of their stuff today is 2020- and 2021-focused)

TALKING WALK-ONS

Bellaire Episcopal DE Patrick Bayouth: “The mix of great academics and a great football program are really what pulled me in. From the scholarship aspect of it, I decided that I wanted to go where I want to be even though I have to pay and work towards being put on scholarship. I originally had no desire to be a walk on, but the staff stressed to me how walk ons are a part of the team and how they see me eventually growing into a solid role.” 

Austin Westlake’s Jake Ehlinger is another name to file away. David Neil too.

Ehlinger, the 25-6A defensive MVP, found out this week he was accepted into the McCombs School of Business. Despite Ivy League offers, the chances Jake walks on at Texas are increasing daily. 

The same goes for Neil. Despite a few small offers, walking on at Texas looks likely here as well. Neil would play OL in Austin. 

THIS WEEK

Another guy Texas has its eyes on is Lakia Henry, a JUCO linebacker out of Garden City CC in Kansas. The Tennessee de-commit has a few suitors like Ole Miss and Florida State, and could visit Austin in late January. 

If his transcripts are legit, UT really wants him. 

After Jalen Catalon’s OV to TCU last weekend, he’s set to announce at the end of week. Coach Naivar saw him last week and will see him again this week.

I’ll do the same for an update later this week. Still a three-team fight between the Hogs, Frogs, and Horns. 

Arkansas is a little leery Texas could be making up ground. TCU is waiting to see where fit into the four-star’s future plans. 

OFFENSIVE LINE

Herb Hand will hit the west coast to check out JUCO OLs Desmond Bland and Bamidele Olaseni. 

He’ll also hit Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) to see Ira Henry tomorrow. Texas is still trying to setup an OV, and they feel like they’re in a good spot. His teammate, Marcus Washington, signed with UT in December. He helps. 

Two grad transfers we’ve mentioned are still on the big board; UCLA’s Justin Murphy and Virginia’s RJ Proctor. The staff is continuing these relationships and hope to add at least one this offseason.

• Like 1

Using both of these links works, but when I go to the team rankings on my own, I'm still running into road blocks.  I'll assume Hiphopopotamos's theory is correct.

Look, if you want to spend time on this thread you need to memorize all of the commits, their Twitter handles, their mom’s twitter handles, their Instagram and Snapchat handles, the names of their coaches, the names of their best friends, and whether they have girlfriends or not. Just don’t be obsessed with them. That’s creepy.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm starting to think more and more that the most likely outcome is that Shepherd signs with Texas, and ends his career at Jacksonville State. What happens in between is only relevant to those who are trying to sell subscriptions.

interesting.  you got any inside info on this?  I’d paypal you for it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I'm guessing the higher profile freshman blurb was in regards to either Overshown or Coburn

Sounds like it was Adeoye. From the Open Post:

I am told that Ayodele Adeoye is expected to stay. I had mentioned earlier that I had been told he was considering a transfer but the latest I’ve heard is he is expected to return.

Edited by Cashdaddyblumpkins

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From that:

Quick-Update | Jordan Moore
– Super K

Am told that Texas will not have a spot for Texas A&M transfer DB, Jordan Moore.

As you know, Jordan is the brother of Texas wide receiver, Joshua Moore.

It sounds like coach Washington wanted Moore but the numbers are tight.

21 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Well shoot, I didn't know about Sheperds incident.  I was mainly referring to Spreewell turning down a $21 million dollar contract because he felt like it was an insult, claiming "I have a family to feed".  Fast forward:  He never signed another contract.  

Hide contents

On October 31, 2004, the Minnesota Timberwolves offered Sprewell a three-year, $21 million contract extension, substantially less than what his then-current contract paid him. Claiming to feel insulted by the offer he publicly expressed outrage, declaring, "I have a family to feed." He declined the extension and the Timberwolves offered him nothing more. Having once more drawn the ire of fans and sports media, Sprewell had the worst season of his career in the final year of his contract. In the summer of 2005, the Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers and Houston Rockets all expressed interest in signing Sprewell, but none ended up signing him.

One month into the 2005–06 season and without a contract, Sprewell's agent, Bob Gist, said his client would rather retire than play for the NBA minimum salary, telling Sports Illustrated, "Latrell doesn't need the money that badly. To go from being offered $7 million to taking $1 million, that would be a slap in the face." Several days later, Gist said that Sprewell planned to wait until "teams get desperate" around the trade deadline in February, and then sign with a contending team -an eventuality that never materialized for him. Gist said that Sprewell would not be interested in signing for any team's $5 million mid-level exception, calling that amount "a level beneath which [Sprewell] would not stoop or kneel!"

In March 2006, Sprewell was offered contracts by the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs, both of whom were considered at the time to be strong favorites to win the NBA Championship, but Sprewell failed to respond and remained a free agent as the season came to a close. The Los Angeles Lakers also showed minimal interest in him at the start of that season, but nothing ever came of it.

This is exactly the type of creative bungholery that drives a thread to the 1000 page holy land.  And quoting it, of course.

Final Rivals top ten. Some of us have been saying that Leal is the best prospect in the state for over a year now, and it looks like the services finally caught up 

1) Derek Stingley Jr (LSU)
2) Nolan Smith (Georgia)
3) Trey Sanders (Bama)
4) Jadon Haselwood (OU)
5) Antonio Alfano (Bama)
6) Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oregon)
7) George Pickens (JUCO)
8') Evan Neal (Bama)
9) Zacch Pickens (Sakerlina)
10) DeMarvin Leal (A&M)

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Final Rivals top ten. Some of us have been saying that Leal is the best prospect in the state for over a year now, and it looks like the services finally caught up 

1) Derek Stingley Jr (LSU)
2) Nolan Smith (Georgia)
3) Trey Sanders (Bama)
4) Jadon Haselwood (OU)
5) Antonio Alfano (Bama)
6) Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oregon)
7) George Pickens (JUCO)
8') Evan Neal (Bama)
9) Zacch Pickens (Sakerlina)
10) DeMarvin Leal (A&M) 

That name. Fucking why.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What’s the definitive backstory on that fuck up? Feel free to make it up, just looking to run with something at this point.

My understanding was that the staff was overconfident about their standing with him, then Leal bought into the SECSECSEC Kool-Aid.

On top of that, we had our weakest recruiter on him, while they had Brewster.

Jimbo decided to strike first with the OV, and closed, and that was that.

I've seen some people suggest that it was a crooked recruitment, but I haven't heard anything to support that, unlike the way that Marcus Banks' and Dylan Wright's recruitments turned on a dime.

Edited by Machinator