Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

22 hours ago, Scholz said:

Herman mentioned at his press conference that we've been in the bottom 6 * in offers the past couple of years which means we're being more selective.  We don't fill up on bread early like some.  It also means an offer from UT means something and we don't just shotgun offers to everyone.  A function of Herman's staff taking a close look at athletic ability as well as a big emphasis on character (and taking a pass on some kids with playing ability but that won't cut it ultimately).

* among D-1 FBS schools

There have been a couple of guys get butt hurt over this and it has hurt us a few times, but better to miss on one or two guys per year than to bring in 4 or 5 guys per year you wish you had waited on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Has there been a summary on this thread of the players who are early enrollees from this class, and whether any are considered at risk for making it in by the fall? Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance (on behalf of my friend, of course).

The only risk I've heard is Shepherd, but nothing on that since December.

Early enrollees:

Roschon Johnson

Tyler Johnson

Jared Wiley

Bru McCoy

Jordan Whittington

Jacoby Jones

Peter Mpagi

De'Gabriel Floyd

Marcus Tillman

Caleb Johnson

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

Horns247 Staff: Final grades for the Longhorns 2019 recruiting efforts

With National Signing Day in the rearview mirror, the Horns247 staff is taking a look at how well the Longhorns recruiting efforts paid off throughout the 2019 recruiting cycle. Texas Football finished with the No. 3 ranked class in the country, according to 247Sports Composite Team Rankings, marking the second consecutive Top 3 finish for Texas under Tom Herman and his assistant coaches. With that said, Part 2 of Horns247's Question of the Week is …What overall grade would you give the Longhorns for the 2019 signing class?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

I would give Texas an A on the overall talent of the class. It’s very strong top-to-bottom. But where the staff really out-did itself was out-of-state recruiting. Texas has never — ever — had this much success on the national scale.

Chip Brown, Columnist

I'd give Tom Herman and this coaching staff an A- for the 2019 signing class with the knock being the lack of an immovable, double-team-commanding nose tackle. Otherwise, I think the talent evaluation will prove to be right on point. Texas had no idea running back Derrian Brown, whom I really like, would end up having an ailment that could take him out of football (at least for the short term). And I think there are a lot of developing gems in the class — like DB Kenyatta Watson, DL Myron Warren, DL T'Vondre Sweat, DL Peter Mpagi, DL Jacoby Jones and LB David Gbenda.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

When grading a recruiting class I always try to answer two questions: Did the team in question meet all of its needs? Is the team in question more talented because of the incoming class? Unequivocally, Texas can answer both of those questions in a positive manner. Yes, the Longhorns have questions at running back, but the roster will be deeper and more talented going forward due to what was added at every position group. It’s obviously up to the coaches to develop the prospects into players and for the players to do their part by buying into the program and putting in the work. The running back situation is the only thing that keeps my grade from being higher, but an A-minus speaks to how talented this class is from top to bottom.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

I would give Texas an A-minus. The Longhorns’ talent evaluation once again appears to be spot-on with the 2019 signing class, and Texas won some huge national recruiting battles. I would say the only negative I would have is that the Longhorns failed to add another running back option, but overall, a solid A-minus effort.

EJ Holland, Recruiting Analyst

A-minus. A Top 5 finish is tremendous. Texas won some big national battles. But they could have done better in-state.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

I would probably give them an A-. It's hard to be too critical of a Top 3 class, but I felt they could have added more at running back and on the interior of the offensive line. They might be able to address both areas in the grad transfer market.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The only risk I've heard is Shepherd, but nothing on that since December.

Early enrollees:

Roschon Johnson

Tyler Johnson

Jared Wiley

Bru McCoy

Jordan Whittington

Jacoby Jones

Peter Mpagi

De'Gabriel Floyd

Marcus Tillman

Caleb Johnson

Thank you, kind sir!

18 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

On paper  (ie potential) that’s a quality roster. Many there proved last year they can play.  Very excited to see the new comers fill out the roster 

I expect Green and Cook to be the starting corners next year, but it would not surprise me a bit if Watson edged one of them out next year. We are two more elite corner/nickels away from being at early 2000s levels in the secondary.

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There have been a couple of guys get butt hurt over this and it has hurt us a few times, but better to miss on one or two guys per year than to bring in 4 or 5 guys per year you wish you had waited on.

He’s said over and over it’s not who you miss that kills you but rather kids who aren’t very good who you take that stick around for 5 years. His main selection criterion is “Can this guy help us win it all? No? Then pass.”

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Closing the book on the 2019 recruiting class

Hide contents

Tom Herman dominated in-state recruiting during the 2018 cycle. The staff assembled the best of the best during their first full cycle in Austin and won most of their head-to-head battles. That wasn’t the case in 2019. Facing stiff competition from Texas A&M under first-year head coach Jimbo Fisher and Oklahoma under Lincoln Riley, Texas lost early head-to-head battles for key targets.

It started when A&M landed Bishop Dunne safety Brian Williams. A top target for Craig Naivar, Williams’ commitment kicked off a chain of events that saw the Longhorns come up on the losing end for Demani Richardson, DeMarvin Leal, Dylan Wright, Baylor Cupp and Kenyon Green. The Aggies weren’t the only opposition Texas faced. Stanford topped the Longhorns for Branson Bragg and Elijah Higgins. Ohio State won over Garrett Wilson, while Oklahoma landed Theo Wease, EJ Ndoma-Ogar and Marcus Hicks.

The outlook was bleak for many fans, but Herman did what he has done so many times during his coaching career. He pivoted and found a new avenue to build his class. The Texas brand has always been capable of recruiting nationally, but the wealth of in-state talent and risk of upsetting the THSCA relegated them to a regional recruiter. When Charlie Strong was forced to look outside of the state for talent, he was skewered by high school coaches. Herman was able to nimbly walk the line and keep both sides happy.

Exactly half of the 2019 class came from states not named Texas. Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy was the highest rated player in the class. Westlake (Calif.) linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd was one of the earliest commitments and vocal leaders in this group. Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith won the Gatorade National Player of the Year award, and Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock was one of the best in the country at his position.

Aside from those prospects, Texas went back to California for Mayfair safety Chris Adimora and Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson. They also went into Georgia for Grayson cornerback Kenyatta Watson and Buford running back Derrian Brown.

Texas went back to Louisiana for Many (La.) defensive end Myron Warren, and the Longhorns visited familiar recruiting grounds in Missouri and Florida for Trinity Catholic wide receiver Marcus Washington and Orlando Jones linebacker Marcus Tillman. Butler C.C. (KS) defensive end Jacoby Jones, a Louisiana native, topped off the out-of-state class and ensured Texas would have some immediate depth coming in during the spring.

The Longhorns also won a number of in-state battles. Jordan Whittington, Javonne Shepherd and David Gbenda could be counted as head-to-head victories over the Aggies. Tyler Johnson never showed much interest in other schools, but any program in the region would have loved to land him. The Texas backup plan was successful enough to put the Longhorns back into the Top 5 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings.

There are questions regarding the sustainability of a strategy like this, but they don’t ultimately matter. If a plan proves to no longer be effective, Herman and his staff have shown the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome.

I like how Mike Roach has wrapped up all the negatives in 2 paragraphs openly and honestly without any spin, conjecture, non-sequitur comments, aspersions, hearsay, or butt-hurt.

aggy takes 3000 words and 20 paragraphs to cover those negatives, but with unending loquacious and copious amounts of spin, conjecture, non-sequitur comments, aspersions, hearsay, and butt-hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I expect Green and Cook to be the starting corners next year, but it would not surprise me a bit if Watson edged one of them out next year. We are two more elite corner/nickels away from being at early 2000s levels in the secondary.

If anyone edges Green out, it's Boyce, not Watson. Would be different if he were an early enrollee 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Horns247 Staff: Final grades for the Longhorns 2019 recruiting efforts

Hide contents

With National Signing Day in the rearview mirror, the Horns247 staff is taking a look at how well the Longhorns recruiting efforts paid off throughout the 2019 recruiting cycle. Texas Football finished with the No. 3 ranked class in the country, according to 247Sports Composite Team Rankings, marking the second consecutive Top 3 finish for Texas under Tom Herman and his assistant coaches. With that said, Part 2 of Horns247's Question of the Week is …What overall grade would you give the Longhorns for the 2019 signing class?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

I would give Texas an A on the overall talent of the class. It’s very strong top-to-bottom. But where the staff really out-did itself was out-of-state recruiting. Texas has never — ever — had this much success on the national scale.

Chip Brown, Columnist

I'd give Tom Herman and this coaching staff an A- for the 2019 signing class with the knock being the lack of an immovable, double-team-commanding nose tackle. Otherwise, I think the talent evaluation will prove to be right on point. Texas had no idea running back Derrian Brown, whom I really like, would end up having an ailment that could take him out of football (at least for the short term). And I think there are a lot of developing gems in the class — like DB Kenyatta Watson, DL Myron Warren, DL T'Vondre Sweat, DL Peter Mpagi, DL Jacoby Jones and LB David Gbenda.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

When grading a recruiting class I always try to answer two questions: Did the team in question meet all of its needs? Is the team in question more talented because of the incoming class? Unequivocally, Texas can answer both of those questions in a positive manner. Yes, the Longhorns have questions at running back, but the roster will be deeper and more talented going forward due to what was added at every position group. It’s obviously up to the coaches to develop the prospects into players and for the players to do their part by buying into the program and putting in the work. The running back situation is the only thing that keeps my grade from being higher, but an A-minus speaks to how talented this class is from top to bottom.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

I would give Texas an A-minus. The Longhorns’ talent evaluation once again appears to be spot-on with the 2019 signing class, and Texas won some huge national recruiting battles. I would say the only negative I would have is that the Longhorns failed to add another running back option, but overall, a solid A-minus effort.

EJ Holland, Recruiting Analyst

A-minus. A Top 5 finish is tremendous. Texas won some big national battles. But they could have done better in-state.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

I would probably give them an A-. It's hard to be too critical of a Top 3 class, but I felt they could have added more at running back and on the interior of the offensive line. They might be able to address both areas in the grad transfer market.

cowchip says we didn't sign a prudential/gibraltar nose tackle.  i didn't know there was one to be had.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

If anyone edges Green out, it's Boyce, not Watson. Would be different if he were an early enrollee 

This is correct. The staff really liked Boyce going into last season. If he learns to play with a little more confidence, Boyce could be a good starter. Green and Watson will both play though. Green at CB, Watson on special teams at least. 

On 3/26/2018 at 11:44 PM, Bodacious Bevo said:

I wasn't too familiar with the shag until hearing about its closing but I'm big into Texas football and recruiting so this seems like a community I'd like to get involved with. 

I'll start off by calling my shot: We finish with the #6 class in 2019. More than a third of the class is out of state, including 2 five stars. 

As part of the slow march to 1000 I figured I'd bump my prediction from March and also share a few favorite moments or whatever.

Prediction wasn't too far off. Overall better than I expected.

Favorite coach subtweet: Herb Hand after Jake Smith committed 

Favorite commitment: JWhitt's video 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

As part of the slow march to 1000 I figured I'd bump my prediction from March and also share a few favorite moments or whatever.

Like to see it change from Shock the Nation to Rule the Nation. Maybe go Fuck yourself bitches. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

For not being a Shagster, you got to the new Surl pretty early in the game.

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

This is correct. The staff really liked Boyce going into last season. If he learns to play with a little more confidence, Boyce could be a good starter. Green and Watson will both play though. Green at CB, Watson on special teams at least. 

I'll go with Green having about a 70% chance of winning the job long term this year (who's starting game three vs game one) over 30% for Boyce. I think many are forgetting how good Green is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

I'll go with Green having about a 70% chance of winning the job long term this year (who's starting game three vs game one) over 30% for Boyce. I think many are forgetting how good Green is. 

Yeah, I think Green should beat out Boyce, but both will play a lot. All the CB's are really young though so we should expect some growing pains and rotations while they develop. 

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Yeah, I think Green should beat out Boyce, but both will play a lot. All the CB's are really young though so we should expect some growing pains and rotations while they develop. 

I'm also wondering if Jamison will be an outside corner. With how we use the nickel as primarily an extra linebacker, I don't think Jamison can hold up there. 

Redshirt him and create some separation between Cook and Green, both of whom might be three year guys 

59 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If we want to get to 1000, let's throw in my girlfriend Allison Brie and some more of yummy Kate, and throw in some delusions of grandeur from aggy so we can replenish and hydrate on tears. 

dba260ffe0134cde9528851a2b22bcda.gif

Sommer is here to bring smiles 😀

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So tell the rest of the joke, man. Don't leave us hanging. Was a priest there?

I think I've heard this one:

Bru and Jalen Green walked into Cabo. 

Bru turns to Jalen and says "I'm going to commit to usc because I just love Clay Helton and the place feels like home.  It doesn't matter if Kingsbury stays or not, it's the place I want to be."

Get it? 

@TrojanPrincess, did I tell it right? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I think I've heard this one:

Bru and Jalen Green walked into Cabo. 

Bru turns to Jalen and says "I'm going to commit to usc because I just love Clay Helton and the place feels like home.  It doesn't matter if Kingsbury stays or not, it's the place I want to be."

Get it? 

@TrojanPrincess, did I tell it right? 

Bah dum! Perfect

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

cowchip says we didn't sign a prudential/gibraltar nose tackle.  i didn't know there was one to be had.

Didn't we sign TWO guys last year who will end up playing NG/NT?

Why the fuck would we need 3 in 2 years when some 4i's already on the team might grow into NGs/NTs?