Texas recruiting notes 2019

22 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

To try and get back to football, anyone know how many of the 247 looks like they didn’t qualify? Any surprises?

Are you talking about Texas, or in general? The only player we signed that there were any qualification rumors about was Shepherd, and there's been no word on that since December.

10 hours ago, sushihorn said:

I went back and looked at the timeline of the 2019 Class and as usual the aggy narrative fell apart completely.  Herman and Co got a few early stud commits but also just did a better job of early evaluation on kids that no one else was paying any attention to.  Some early takes that were WTFs at the time turned into senior season monsters.  And Herman went OOS for positions that were thin in Texas from the very beginning.

Roschon Johnson committed in 2017, before his junior year even began.  T'Vondre Sweat, Jordan Whittington, De'Gabriel Floyd, Kenyatta Watson II, Brayden Liebrock, Tyler Johnson and Jared Wiley all committed before the end of their junior year.  3 of them came from OOS very early.  Thus dies the aggyfact(TM) myth that Herman was FORCED to go that route. 

Over the junior to senior year summer Jake Smith, Chris Adimora, Peter Mpagi, Marcus Tillman Jr and Marques Caldwell joined the class.  Herman already had the core of a Top 10 class before the season started - arguably a Top 5 core.  The silly delusion of aggy that they were dictating anything or shutting anyone out is just part and parcel of the pathological narcissism that permeates that place.  They couldn't be content to achieve something on their own.  They STILL had to make it about The University and they lied to themselves to do it.

It's well past the edit window and wanted to add this:

Effective propaganda must possess 2 traits: 1) It must have a surface plausibility and 2) It must have emotional appeal to the masses at which it is directed.  The current aggy narrative has both WRT their fanbase.  #1 breaks down on close examination but aggy won't admit it because there is too much of #2 (in multiple senses) involved.  They desperately want and need to believe they somehow bested the hated and envied "tu" in something, anything really. 

Nevermind that Jimbo had top 10 talent his whole career and went 19-15 against the top 25.  Without Winston, that record looks really poor at 11-14.

• Like 3

IT on Parker Braun

PARKER BRAUN

I had an excellent conversation with Coach Mike Braun, the father of talented Georgia Tech offensive line graduate transfer Parker Braun. 

Here's how it went:

-- Parker's decision to leave GT was to enhance both his academic and playing experience. Academics were mentioned before football on numerous occasions. Coach Braun did state that the NFL draft was also a factor. He essentially said, but not verbatim (I was driving), "there's a difference between being a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. Like, will you have to work again difference. We want to get to a point where there are no 'nos' when a question is asked about him. When it's asked if a player can do something, you don't want to hear 'no.'" He stated Parker can pass block perfectly fine but that he could benefit from going up against better competition, "both in games and in practice."

-- Changing schools signals to the NFL ranks that he can learn different systems and that he's adaptable; that he's mature and not afraid to take on the challenge of a new town and new situation just like when he gets drafted.

-- This recruiting process isn't about recruiting, it's about business. "It's not about getting wined and dines. Guys in high school being recruited are looking for different things than a guy with 6-8 months left." When Parker visits Texas, it'll be to see what it's like to be a Texas football player, not a recruit. He wants to watch film, learn some terminology, and see how he fits. And oh yeah, academics were mentioned yet again.

-- His official visit to Austin has been moved from this upcoming weekend to March 1st for reasons you can probably glean. More 1-on-1 time here is ideal rather than Hand trying to get to know him better among a throng of high school prospects. This should be a specifically tailored visit with the staff knowing his measurements before he arrives.

-- Texas made it perfectly clear how interested they are. Said Mike, "Parker talked to Coach Hand before we even knew he was officially in the portal." 

-- Texas has also made it clear they have experience with this exact situation and something Mike will remind of this past season. "They see Parker as a bridge between last year and some younger guys." In the course of conversation I mentioned that's exactly what Calvin Anderson was at left tackle for Sam Cosmi.

-- I mentioned I had no concerns over Braun's weight but that 280 was a bit lighter than what you normally see. He responded, again, not verbatim but essentially, "He's 287 right now and was 305 pounds when he left high school. Weight is a non-issue, you can see guys playing well in the 280's in the NFL."

-- Parker's impression of Tom Herman after having visited U of H while Herman was the head coach may offer some insight. "I didn't make the visit to Houston with Parker but he came home impressed with Herman, said he was a sharp guy. I told him, 'if he's that sharp he won't be there in two years.'" Good call, Mike.

-- With Mike being an offensive line coach, I mentioned that gives him much more insight than the average parent. I asked him what his thoughts are of Hand. He raved about Coach Hand's reputation. 

-- Other schools showing a lot of attention: Florida, Ohio State, and Auburn.

-- Timeline: "We're not in a hurry but then again we can't wait too long because of the application process." Sounds like a decision later on in March is in the works.

We can probably put this story on the back-burner for now, but UT is in a good spot with the early March visit looming large.

• Like 4

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

If academics are as important as it seems, cross Auburn and Ohio state off. Seems like Texas has some advantages over Florida too. 

Yeah, UF is higher-rated as a whole by USNWR (obviously not the end-all and be-all), but if he's an engineering dude with a GaTech undergrad degree, UT will definitely put his post-football career in a better spot.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I will have no comment on this matter. For historical reference, Ron Tatum is the only commitment we've ever had for whom I started the commitment thread. That didn't work out so well.

You should have focused on keeping his mom happy instead... know what I’m saying?

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I will have no comment on this matter. For historical reference, Ron Tatum is the only commitment we've ever had for whom I started the commitment thread. That didn't work out so well.

Sounds like, for commitment threads, you're not our Huckleberry.

76b6d49fefb999411b8b65c72aa6cc60.gif

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

So he flipped to OU and now he sat a full year and wants out..

A top 100 DE that was listed by many OU sites as being a potential impact FR and he never saw the field... With that D?

Something smells fishy

Are you at all familiar with the work of Mike Stoops, world champion cocaine snorter and beady eyed dipshit?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

A top 100 DE that was listed by many OU sites as being a potential impact FR and he never saw the field... With that D?

Something smells fishy

Any chance this may have to do with the new DC??

One of our primary 2020 DL targets ( Prince Dorbah ) has been stated for a while as being a Texas/OU battle and he recently told TFB that the new defensive staff at OU isn't really recruiting him hard.

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Something smells fishy

I don't think it's anything fishier than a kid that was lied to a lot during his recruitment and is now leaving. He had no interest playing inside at DT and made that pretty clear during his recruitment, but with Grinch starting the assessment process I'd bet they talked to him again about moving inside and he's done with their bullshit.  

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any chance this may have to do with the new DC??

One of our primary 2020 DL targets ( Prince Dorbah ) has been stated for a while as being a Texas/OU battle and he recently told TFB that the new defensive staff at OU isn't really recruiting him hard.

The Ohio States guys have said that Grinch is a Giles/Meh level recruiter.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, UF is higher-rated as a whole by USNWR (obviously not the end-all and be-all), but if he's an engineering dude with a GaTech undergrad degree, UT will definitely put his post-football career in a better spot.

I am pretty sure I read that he is a history major. USNWR ranks our graduate History program at #16. OSU is actually higher (#27) than Florida (#53) for grad history. GT's program is at #114 and Auburn's comes in at #125.

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I am pretty sure I read that he is a history major. USNWR ranks our graduate History program at #16. OSU is actually higher (#27) than Florida (#53) for grad history. GT's program is at #114 and Auburn's comes in at #125. 

Hm, not many people actually do a grad degree in history unless they want to be a professor - the BA is usually more of a useful base for something like law or business school.

Guess we'll have to see what he wants to be after college.

Edited by texifornia

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hm, not many people actually do a grad degree in history unless they want to be a professor - the BA is not a useful degree at all and if you got a history degree, you're a dumbass.more of a useful base for something like law or business school. 

FIFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hm, not many people actually do a grad degree in history unless they want to be a professor - the BA is usually more of a useful base for something like law or business school.

Guess we'll have to see what he wants to be after college.

Good point. They got rid of the requirement that the school offer a grad program that isn't available at the current school, right? I would think law or business school would be pretty hard to offer something unique since they are more professional programs rather than research-based. 

If academics are as important as it seems, cross Auburn and Ohio state off. Seems like Texas has some advantages over Florida too. 
Well yeah, Austin is not a shithole like Gainsville. Also there is also the Whatabutger and JITB aspect. Not to mention the old In n Out aspect.

Just now, rickyspub said:

Good point. They got rid of the requirement that the school offer a grad program that isn't available at the current school, right? I would think law or business school would be pretty hard to offer something unique since they are more professional programs rather than research-based. 

Georgia Tech does not have a law school, so that wouldn't be a problem.  But there's no way we want a football player going to law school.  First, Texas's law school doesn't have a summer start program and won't let a student take non-UT Law classes in the summer.  Maybe they'll make an exception for a football player, but I doubt it.

Second, the first year, first semester course load would be a beating during the season for someone who actually takes academics seriously, like Braun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Speaking of beatings, this thread has been one lately until page 969 where actual pertinent shit has been posted and discussed. It makes it worth visiting again. Here's hoping some of you stupid fucks can stop filling the thread up with fucking garbage and thus enable the rest of us to track anything lingering regarding the 2019 class. 

I know it pains you to say it.  But we all know that I got it back on track.  You're welcome.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

immamac should just insert 2,000 posts into the database on this thread so it gets to 1000 pages and then we can get back to actual discussion.

Only the sidebars I participate in are interesting. The others are shit.

Also the number of posts per page are fewer here than shaggy so a 1,000 page goal is even more pointless.

1 minute ago, Hmbre97 said:

Meh, I'm counting it as 1000. We already had 100+ pages at scattybevo before Kevin Morgan, known pederast, fucked everything up.

Well, guys.  It looks like we can pack it up and move on.  Hmbre97 is counting it as 1,000, so we're good to go.

Great work, guys.  Great year.  Let's do it again next year.