Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

SIAP: Bevo Nuggets Part II

— Texas is continuing to do tremendous work with 7v7 coaches. Yes, Tom Herman and his staff are still finding a way to keep high school coaches, which is quite remarkable considering the beef between the two sides. In fact, Herman is probably doing the best job of balancing the two parties. From Ro Simon of Fast 7v7 to Doug Smith of Dominate The Day to RJ Henderson of Team Texas Elite, Herman has not only welcomed them with open arms to campus this offseason but also really wowed them. Herman realizes that the landscape of recruiting is changing and that 7v7 coaches and trainers are becoming just as valuable as high school coaches. Keeping both parties happy is really giving Herman an edge in recruiting.

— This weekend’s tournament was obviously held in Louisiana, which has been a bit of controversial state for Texas to recruit. The Longhorns have nabbed guys like Malcolm Roach, De’Andre Christmas-Giles and Michael Williams in recent cycles, but they haven’t been able to really pry away the bigger names in the Bayou State from LSU. According to sources in Louisiana, Texas will become more of a threat with more success on the field. While there is immense pressure for them to go to LSU, more and more kids are becoming open to leaving Louisiana, especially with the Tigers’ inconsistency and murky future. This is a prime opportunity for Herman to take advantage. But again, it comes down to wins and losses.

— I spoke to the mother of a recruit with a Texas offer and got her take on Herman. She told me that Herman is one of the more personable coaches she has met so far. The mother was in attendance for junior day weekend in February and was blown away with her time on campus. She added that Herman made her feel like a part of the family and seemed genuine in his recruitment. The mother also said that while her son currently prefers another school, she loves Texas the most.

— Texas is set to host five-star cornerback Derek Stingley for an official visit on May 4. So do the Longhorns have a legitimate shot here? It all depends on that OV. Right now, Texas is sitting third with LSU and Florida out in front. I am told that there is some concern about a staff shakeup at LSU, which could open the door for the Longhorns. Stingley is also a high academic kid, and UT’s education is sure to appeal to him. Yes, Texas is on the outside looking in, but there is plenty of time to go in this recruitment.

— Texas is also set to play host to rising Louisiana athlete Makiya Tongue on May 4. Out of all the Louisiana targets, Texas has the best shot to land Tongue. In fact, the Longhorns currently have the lead in his recruitment. Tongue loves the overall vibe on campus -- he made an unofficial visit earlier this offseason -- and the position flexibility. While he may grow into a safety or linebacker, Tongue perfers to play wide receiver, and Texas would give him a chance to start off there. That is playing a huge role in his recruitment.

— Four-star Warren Easton (La.) cornerback Chester Kimbrough is the other Louisiana prospect scheduled to make an official visit on May 4. Kimbrough is currently a Florida lean, but there is still a lot of wiggle room here. Kimbrough has always liked Texas since making an unofficial visit there last summer, and he has developed a solid relationship with Jason Washington. I am told that Kimbrough is impressionable, so a strong official visit could turn the tide for the Longhorns.

— Two other Louisiana recruits Texas is in the mix for are four-star wide receiver Trey Palmer and four-star athlete Christian Harris. Don’t be surprised if they make their way to campus at some point this offseason, but both will be tough pulls. Palmer is a heavy LSU lean, while Harris is extremely high on Alabama and LSU.

— Texas put an offer on the table for four-star 2020 Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire late last week. So where do the Longhorns stand? Right now, Texas is in his top two along with Texas A&M. I would give the Aggies the edge at this point in the recruiting process, but it’s obviously still early. Omeire wants to develop more of a relationship with Drew Mehringer and is excited to make it back down to campus in coming weeks to do just that.

— Texas is making four-star 2020 New Caney cornerback Dwight McGlothern a top priority for next cycle. McGlothern opted not to visit for the spring game due to this 7v7 tournament, but he does plan on being back on campus on May 4. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar is in constant communication with McGlothern, and the two FaceTime frequently. McGlothern also has a strong relationship with Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington. LSU, Texas and Texas A&M are the teams to beat early on.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, Baldwin's his bud, he's not going to just leave him hanging publically on Twitter.

Baldwin sounds like a boyfriend whose girlfriend broke up with him and he’s heartbroken.

Plus Baldwin with never throw a pass in game in Columbus.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

May 4 is going to be a doozy of a recruiting weekend. It's a mix of players who are virtually calculator (Tyler Johnson, NaNa), players we're in a good spot with (Wiley, Banks, Tongue), and a bunch of big names we have a great chance to make an impression on (Wilkins, Stingley, Jaden Davis, Chester Kimbrough). If we get a commit or two to drop from the first two groups that weekend, it could generate momentum that could potentially sway some of the players from that last group.

7 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

A kid named Branson Bragg from Crandall, Texas coached by Joe Dale Curry doesn't sound like a Stanford type. But I guess that's why you don't judge a book by its cover.

Bradley Dale Peveto is the LB coach at A&M.  Guys with Dale as middle names are like best buddies.

And Dale is buddies with Boomhauer...ie Jimbo.

Punch all that into the calculator...and you get Branson Bragg is maroon & white! howdy doody!

• Like 1

Man, I wish Mensah would go ahead and announce. I'm sick of Loy blurbs polluting this thread. Fuck the domers. Name-changing holier-than-thou bitches. There's a lot of hate here thrown at tree but not so much at the gilded motherfuckers. There needs to be more vitriol directed towards South Bend in this thread. Fuck those rudy-fellating gipper whores. Damn nasty BBC-conning pretenders. I hate them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Man, I wish Mensah would go ahead and announce. I'm sick of Loy blurbs polluting this thread. Fuck the domers. Name-changing holier-than-thou bitches. There's a lot of hate here thrown at tree but not so much at the gilded motherfuckers. There needs to be more vitriol directed towards South Bend in this thread. Fuck those rudy-fellating gipper whores. Damn nasty BBC-conning pretenders. I hate them.

Snax?

Upcoming visitors per TFloss: .

April 27th
LB, Owen Pappoe, Grayson (Loganville, GA)*
CB, Kenyatta Watson, Grayson (Loganville, GA) *
ATH, Christian Harris, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA)
ATH, Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)

May 4th
TE, Jared Wiley, Temple
OL, Tyler Johnson, Conroe Oak Ridge *
OL, Stacey Wilkins, Camden-Fairview (Camden, AR) *
DE, NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Fort Worth Nolan Catholic * 
LB, Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA) *
CB, Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney * 
CB, Jaden Davis, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
CB, Chester Kimbrough, Warren Easton (New Orleans, LA)
CB, Derek Stingley, Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA) * 
'20 CB, Dwight McGlothern, New Caney

* indicates official visit 

Please correct the official visitors as more information becomes available.

9 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

"Rock the Harbaugh" would be an interesting punk parody. Someone get on it.

So in the lyrics interpreted as a clash of cultures happening at a casbah.  What would be clashing at Harbaugh?  Pleated khakis and a pasty white guy doesn’t seem to be to much clashing there.

Just now, Dr.Dre said:

So in the lyrics interpreted as a clash of cultures happening at a casbah.  What would be clashing at Harbaugh?  Pleated khakis and a pasty white guy doesn’t seem to be to much clashing there.

In that scenario, I believe Harbaugh would be "Sharif."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Bill, are you still on SpursTalk? If so, would you invite TFloss to Surly? Tell him that we have a great Spurs subforum with fairly level headed posters. Would love to have TFloss here providing the recruiting fix.

The SpursTalk folks have been really slow to renew my membership over there. I still can't post or reply to threads. If we cross paths again, I'll make the invitation. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

tOSU offered Hudson Card today. 

I'm not saying the kid can't play, but it's a curious move. The timing is even more curious. 

I'm starting to think the Baldwin take was Urb's opening chess move to land Wilson. 

Fuck that pizza grease hair, rust belt livin fake heart attack having asshole.  Maybe if we land Wilson and Card that will be enough to cut off the Ohio State pipeline.

The SpursTalk folks have been really slow to renew my membership over there. I still can't post or reply to threads. If we cross paths again, I'll make the invitation. 

It’s weird over there. I’ve never been able to post or reply. But I have an account. I’ve emailed a couple times and they’ve never replied.
But I do enjoy TFloss and his contributions.

TFloss has been compiling and posting $9.95-info for SpursTalk for several years, and has generally done a terrific job of it - to the point that even Aggies wade into his threads to get info as well. He wouldn't have too much to do on this recruiting forum, since there are posters here who fill that role as well.

That being said, I'd welcome him here as heartily as anyone.

Edited by satyanash

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

tOSU offered Hudson Card today. 

I'm not saying the kid can't play, but it's a curious move. The timing is even more curious. 

I'm starting to think the Baldwin take was Urb's opening chess move to land Wilson. 

That was my first thought as well.  Maybe us offering Card had a bigger effect on Wilson than we thought.  Meyer sees this and decides to extend the offer.  Not saying that they're just copying us or whatever....Card is likely a take for tOSU regardless or would've played himself into an offer this season, but they see the effect it may have had on Wilson and they decide to go ahead and offer earlier than planned.  The timing makes sense to me.

6 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

That was my first thought as well.  Maybe us offering Card had a bigger effect on Wilson than we thought.  Meyer sees this and decides to extend the offer.  Not saying that they're just copying us or whatever....Card is likely a take for tOSU regardless or would've played himself into an offer this season, but they see the effect it may have had on Wilson and they decide to go ahead and offer earlier than planned.  The timing makes sense to me.

The timing is curious in that they're to leverage Wilson by offering Card. "Hey Hudson, it's Urban Meyer, we're offering you now because we really want your friend Garrett Wilson. Welcome to the Buckeye Family!"

I hope everybody in Lake Travis can see throw the Urban Meyer sleaze. 

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well we have Herman to thank for the tOSU - Texas Pipeline, but yes it needs to end now. 

I for one, welcome Urban’s next shitfit, bitchfest about how Texas high school football players wound up at Texas.  Seriously, fuck that guy.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I for one, welcome Urban’s next shitfit, bitchfwar about how Texas high school football players wound up Texas.  Seriously, fuck that guy.

I think it's vendetta against Herman. It could be any number of things, but I think at its core, Urb is pissed one of his former employees is challenging him. A lot of people think it started at the Satellite Camp hosted by Texas Southern last year, but I think it goes back to the Dobbins' recruitment. 

Does Urb and the tOSU staff work on Georgia and Florida recruits this hard? Hell no. They shut down Browning, Okudah, and Dobbins. No late cycle drama at all. They worked those guys hard, locked them up, and didn't let anybody else in. Not even Saban could pry those guys loose. That's a tremendous amount of leg work.