Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Didnt say it was the same as LA.  However, to say that it is quaint, with a hometown vibe is a phenomenally unjust rationalization that in no way encompasses the vibe and verve of Austin.  Austin is not LA but when comparing a city of 13 million (metro) to a city of 2 million (metro), the differences are not as great as you might think.  There is a reason Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the country...

Depends where you live. I live central and you have a lot of neighborhoods around the 40 that can be described as quaint/down home. Compare us to PHX or SoCal and it's the perfect fit/vibe. Now if your version of ATX is Lakeway, Cedar Park or RR well the joke is on you.

DE recruiting has definitely moved on this weekend which is good.  First wave didn't pan out besides Sweat.  I like the new prospects I'm reading about though.  If we could land Z.Williams, J.Johnson and another of the new WDE offers, that'd be very good.

At SDE are Stripling and/or Pickering pipe dreams?  Any chance there.  Don't see much movement or new offers at either SDE or DT.

Just now, Scholz said:

DE recruiting has definitely moved on this weekend which is good.  First wave didn't pan out besides Sweat.  I like the new prospects I'm reading about though.  If we could land Z.Williams, J.Johnson and another of the new WDE offers, that'd be very good.

At SDE are Stripling and/or Pickering pipe dreams?  Any chance there.  Don't see much movement or new offers at either SDE or DT.

This is the good side of early decisions by players IMO, we will have plenty of talent to choose from and just like last year we will have a great class.

• Like 1

RE: With Texas combing the state of Arizona like the Spaceballs troopers, it’s a surprise that they seemed to miss a pretty big target in DE Ty Robinson from Higley in Gilbert, AZ.

The Brainiacs think Texas is close to offering. https://247sports.com/Player/Ty-Robinson-46047228

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

At SDE are Stripling and/or Pickering pipe dreams?  

Curtis Stripling has been the biggest roadblock in our way in the Marcus Stripling recruitment. He was told after the new Aggy staff was in place that an offer would be coming, etc ... despite them retaining The Marine.  Well, the Ags have offered ELEVEN OT's and SIX OGs for the 2020 class alone and none of them are for Curtis but 2 of the OGs are already commits. So in their efforts to keep Marcus from Texas via poisoning the well with Curtis the Aggy staff has actually pushed both Marcus and Curtis toward fucking OU and until the ink is dry on the fax machine this one it's going to be interesting. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I'm not tracking with you at all here, man. First, it's not good that DL recruiting has moved on, because all that means is we missed on all our top targets (I don't really count Sweat as a top target).  Second, 3 out of the 4 guys you say you liked, we don't have much of a shot at.  I like a couple of our backup offers, like the AZ kid and the one that went to Beck's school, but I have no clue if we have any chance at them at all. That NJ DL screams JAG, I'm not a big fan of the Z'Core kid, and I'd much rather be offering Taurean Carter after he has a huge senior year. Right now, it's a pretty big reach for him to be worth a UT offer, although I do like his potential.  All I see is Giles striking out big time and settling to for subpar talent, so far. Hopefully some big time DL recruits emerge during their senior year, otherwise this DL class is going to be verrrry meh.

24 minutes ago, Goodman said:

This is the good side of early decisions by players IMO, we will have plenty of talent to choose from and just like last year we will have a great class.

I mean I guess we can call missing on all/most of the elite targets early instead of late a silver lining.  I won't rehash it but last year's DL class wasn't great. It was fine (and also not a sustainable way to build a class every year).  I'd rather not stack a 2017 DL class that has one real contributor with 2 straight just decent classes.  At some point, we need to bring in some elite talent on the DL, like we are just about everywhere else, instead of reverting to backups and relying on late diamonds in the rough that may not pop up every year.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm not tracking with you at all here, man. First, it's not good that DL recruiting has moved on, because all that means is we missed on all our top targets...

My philosphy is "bad news is good news".  At least we can do something about it now that we know where we are and at least we're not sitting on our hands.  Of course I would've rather gotten our first offers but that's not how it shook out so move on.  I'd rather they let us know early.

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

My philosphy is "bad news is good news".  At least we can do something about it now that we know where we are and at least we're not sitting on our hands.  Of course I would've rather gotten our first offers but that's not how it shook out so move on.  I'd rather they let us know early.

I guess. "Bad news is good news" sounds very aggy to me and being happy that we're not sitting on our hands seems like an unbelievably low bar for expectations at a place like UT, or honestly any fucking school. 

I like some of the guys we've offered.  The Zach Williams eval was money. I might like him better than Nana, although I'd rather just have both and let them fight it out for the next four years.  My biggest problem though, is most of the backup offers I like seem to be the longest shots. The in-state guys and some of the lower-rated guys, like the NJ kid, seem to be the ones we have the best shot at (read: settle for), and I'm not a huge fan of any of them. 

I agree with you there's still time to get a good DL class and the sky isn't falling, but things aren't trending in a good direction right now. There needs to be a reversal, and Herman's got to be the one that causes it. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm not tracking with you at all here, man. First, it's not good that DL recruiting has moved on, because all that means is we missed on all our top targets (I don't really count Sweat as a top target).  Second, 3 out of the 4 guys you say you liked, we don't have much of a shot at.  I like a couple of our backup offers, like the AZ kid and the one that went to Beck's school, but I have no clue if we have any chance at them at all. That NJ DL screams JAG, I'm not a big fan of the Z'Core kid, and I'd much rather be offering Taurean Carter after he has a huge senior year. Right now, it's a pretty big reach for him to be worth a UT offer, although I do like his potential.  All I see is Giles striking out big time and settling to for subpar talent, so far. Hopefully some big time DL recruits emerge during their senior year, otherwise this DL class is going to be verrrry meh.

I mean I guess we can call missing on all/most of the elite targets early instead of late a silver lining.  I won't rehash it but last year's DL class wasn't great. It was fine (and also not a sustainable way to build a class every year).  I'd rather not stack a 2017 DL class that has one real contributor with 2 straight just decent classes.  At some point, we need to bring in some elite talent on the DL, like we are just about everywhere else, instead of reverting to backups and relying on late diamonds in the rough that may not pop up every year.

Ojomo, Williams & Coburn are Great takes, not average. Ossai is a great take and you can call him a LB but he will be destroying QB's. I'm ok with calling Carson a project. I am also of the belief that all OL, DL and QB need a RS but that DL class is exactly what we need every year. Stop looking for Year 1 contributors in the trenches, we have a real program now. If they can stay healthy we have some monsters. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Ojomo, Williams & Coburn are Great takes, not average. Ossai is a great take and you can call him a LB but he will be destroying QB's. I'm ok with calling Carson a project. I am also of the belief that all OL, DL and QB need a RS but that DL class is exactly what we need every year. Stop looking for Year 1 contributors in the trenches, we have a real program now. If they can stay healthy we have some monsters. 

This. I doubt many of the 2018 recruits will even play significant snaps this season because our juniors and seniors are actually talented and coached well.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

I don't think you and I have the same definition of great but that's fine and I'm not saying that because I"m looking for day one contributors. I like our 2018 class but I was hoping to do better this year. So far, that's not looking likely.   My biggest problem with the 2018 class in critiquing the staff was the unsustainability of how it came about. 

Regardless, there's still time, and I hope the staff can flip it around. Most of them are relentless workers and some of our better recruiters locking up there guys early will help, I"d just rather avoid scrambling to fix the DL class every year. 

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I knew a Leal flip were coming, I’d be way happier with our DL recruiting.

Good thing you are on record saying if the state’s top player committed to us you would feel better about recruiting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Good thing you are on record saying if the state’s top player committed to us you would feel better about recruiting. 

Yeah, I know it’s self-evident. Didn’t mean it that way per se. Just saying that if he eventually flips to us (I have no idea of the odds), it would cast the total DL recruiting push in a far different light, regardless of How much overall panic is now setting in due to Giles. Much as signing Smith would greatly ease the pain on Wilson. 

21 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I don't think you and I have the same definition of great but that's fine and I'm not saying that because I"m looking for day one contributors.

Day one contributors to top 10 level programs on the DL are few and far between. Having said that I totally get what you're saying (though I'll take a 2018 DL level haul 4 years in a row and stack it against anyone that isn't Clemson or Bama) but at this point the only "great" DL that we have outright missed on, in those parameters is probably DeMarvin Leal and to be honest I don't think he's a day 1 guy either. Tremendous NFL upside and frame. I want him in the worst way, but he's not even a surefire early contributor and could see a RS season. NaNa is 100% a RS guy. Sweat, Stripling, and Ibeneme (if he returns 100%) are the only other guys on the DL that could contribute early to a top tier defense, IMHO. I guess you could get situational help from Caesar, Mowry, or Parker on 3rd and miles but they're far from ready for 3 down play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Day one contributors to top 10 level programs on the DL are few and far between. Having said that I totally get what you're saying (though I'll take a 2018 DL level haul 4 years in a row and stack it against anyone that isn't Clemson or Bama) but at this point the only "great" DL that we have outright missed on, in those parameters is probably DeMarvin Leal and to be honest I don't think he's a day 1 guy either. Tremendous NFL upside and frame. I want him in the worst way, but he's not even a surefire early contributor and could see a RS season. NaNa is 100% a RS guy. Sweat, Stripling, and Ibeneme (if he returns 100%) are the only other guys on the DL that could contribute early to a top tier defense, IMHO. I guess you could get situational help from Caesar, Mowry, or Parker on 3rd and miles but they're far from ready for 3 down play. 

That might have been worded poorly. I meant that contributing early wasn't something I was looking for at all, as in I didn't knock any of them for not being able to contribute immediately.

I could probably live with 4 straight years of the 2018 class, as long as we mix in a 5 star/truly elite guy every couple years.  That's what I was hoping for with the 2019 class but so far, no dice, and I'm not sure if we're even heading for the 2018 level class at this point. 

Also, the 2017 class and what's left of the 2016 class puts a higher onus on these two classes to be really good than they would otherwise need to be.

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

That might have been worded poorly. I meant that contributing early wasn't something I was looking for at all, as in I didn't knock any of them for not being able to contribute immediately.

I could probably live with 4 straight years of the 2018 class, as long as we mix in a 5 star/truly elite guy every couple years.  That's what I was hoping for with the 2019 class but so far, no dice, and I'm not sure if we're even heading for the 2018 level class at this point. 

Also, the 2017 class and what's left of the 2016 class puts a higher onus on these two classes to be really good than they would otherwise need to be.

We weren't last year either, outside of fluking our way into getting Coburn. Happily, the lines are where you see the most late risers.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We weren't last year either, outside of fluking our way into getting Coburn. Happily, the lines are where you see the most late risers.

I"m not trying to rehash the last debate but this is where conversation is going and I like talking about this stuff. Plus, it beats comparing the school districts of LA and Austin so here goes.

I agree and there is still time, but it goes back to sustainability.  Last year we had Coburn pretty much in the bag, the U notwithstanding.  We got lucky with Ossai due to a coaching change, which probably won't help us this year, and while there are sometimes late risers on the line, they're usually project takes who fill out your last spot. It's rare to have a guy the quality of Ojomo just pop up.  Williams and Carson were project takes already. For the record, I like Williams but he has a higher bust potential than other guys who are rated higher. I'll put it this way, a late riser should have the Williams role in the class, but we also nabbed a late riser and Carson.  We took three late guys/project types last year. I like 2 of them a lot but I doubt we could get three guys of their quality late most years.  If that doesn't happen, we might start settling for some JAGs and then you start to have roster issues.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Leal and Nana both planning on EE makes the redshirt less likely 

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I don't think you and I have the same definition of great but that's fine and I'm not saying that because I"m looking for day one contributors. I like our 2018 class but I was hoping to do better this year. So far, that's not looking likely.   My biggest problem with the 2018 class in critiquing the staff was the unsustainability of how it came about. 

What was unsustainable about how the 2018 class came about?

I'm not worried about your definition of great is, because it's likely as useful as a fart in starting a fire.

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I guess. "Bad news is good news" sounds very aggy to me and being happy that we're not sitting on our hands seems like an unbelievably low bar for expectations at a place like UT, or honestly any fucking school. 

Well OK.  That seems kind of an unreasonable and unwarranted insult to call my aggyish.  I'm just saying you can move on or you can sit around and cry about it.  I prefer the former.  And I prefer knowing bad news early so something can be done about it.  I don't think that's aggyish at all.  aggy would be "well those guys are overrated anyway".  I'm not saying that nor am I saying I don't care that we didn't land Leal and NaNa.

Edited by Scholz

4 hours ago, T&T’s Dad said:

LOL at Austin as a quaint, down home vibe...  The bullshit that these 9.95er's spew is comical.

Surprised you would think this was anything but a compliment.......something USC can never compete with.  

As much as L.A. can attract players, it works equally against us.  

I loved Austin for those same reasons, but I did feel it had a young, hip vibe that would make it a great place to live for 3-4 years.

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

This. I doubt many of the 2018 recruits will even play significant snaps this season because our juniors and seniors are actually talented and coached well.

coburn will play. unless he pulls a Daylon Mack on us. nose isnt deep enough. and Coburn is a hoss

4 hours ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Didnt say it was the same as LA.  However, to say that it is quaint, with a hometown vibe is a phenomenally unjust rationalization that in no way encompasses the vibe and verve of Austin.  Austin is not LA but when comparing a city of 13 million (metro) to a city of 2 million (metro), the differences are not as great as you might think.  There is a reason Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the country...

Not to mention, Austin doesn't have wildfires, mudslides, and does not have earthquakes. No personal income taxes either. LA has all of those. Aren't they lucky!

Edited by Bevojoe

Just now, texifornia said:

Those poor Angelenos. How will they ever survive?

tzoo.25247.1818.417030.Sandiego.jpg?widt

Not sure that is appropriate swimwear for surfing near LA.  That water is freaking cold.  I've been to Santa Monica in August and it was tough being knee deep.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Those poor Angelenos. How will they ever survive?

tzoo.25247.1818.417030.Sandiego.jpg?widt

10 minutes ago, Bevojoe said:

Not to mention, Austin doesn't have wildfires, mudslides, and does not have earthquakes. No personal income taxes either. LA has all of those. Aren't they lucky!

A college kid wouldn't give a shit about income taxes.

• Like 1

If you live in the LA basin but you're from Texas, the near erotic pleasure of cool nights in the summer never gets old. Except for a few weeks in August, an 85 degree day drops to 68 about 45 minutes after the sun sets.

Now I have contributed to the tedium about CA, but running down LA in general and the spectacular possibilities of being a football player in the little world of USC is idiotic. It's a great destination. It's not the only great destination, but it's a great destination.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

14 minutes ago, angryhomer said:

A college kid wouldn't give a shit about income taxes.

"AND OVER HERE IF YOU LOOK YOU'LL NOTICE EVERY LOCKER HAS A BIG ASS TV IN IT WHOA MAN LIKE HOW ABOUT THA..."

"Yah that's nice but uh, what's the water table like around here?"

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NorLa Horns said:

as an "after football" topic of conversation, it would be relevant to point out that the state seems to turning into a shithole. Habla?

I remember all the nights I spent as an undergrad in Austin talking about mortgage rates, income taxes, and the preponderance of Texans who speak Spanish. That would be followed by rootbeer floats and discussions about what was the best approach to long term care after we retired and our bodies began to fail us. Then we'd all gather in the TV room to catch the latest stock market news and hit the hay. I loved college.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What was unsustainable about how the 2018 class came about?

I'm not worried about your definition of great is, because it's likely as useful as a fart in starting a fire.

I'm getting some real utgrad97 vibes from this post. lulz.  I literally explained why the 2018 DL class is not a sustainable model in a long-ass post right above 12 minutes before you typed this. 

41 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Well OK.  That seems kind of an unreasonable and unwarranted insult to call my aggyish.  I'm just saying you can move on or you can sit around and cry about it.  I prefer the former.  And I prefer knowing bad news early so something can be done about it.  I don't think that's aggyish at all.  aggy would be "well those guys are overrated anyway".  I'm not saying that nor am I saying I don't care that we didn't land Leal and NaNa.

I didn't call you aggyish. I am aware of the vitriol you hold towards that backwards ass group of rednecks.  I was just saying that the smoothing over of the status of the DL recruiting, IMO, and that one phrase sounded kind of aggy to me.  I don't know that we're all that far off in our takes on the situation, you were just taking the optimistic route while I ventured on my well-worn path of pessimism.

• Like 1