Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT

By: IT STAFF

RESTRUCTURING THE AD

Athletic Director Chris Del Conte let it be known he's looking to hire two senior level AD's. As we've covered, he has aggressive plans to streamline and restructure the Athletic Department. We've mentioned the department will shrink in size, and that likely happens at the end of this month.

I'm not sure how the restructuring will look, but as of now he has head coaches of the various programs reporting directly to officials in the athletic department, save football and basketball who report directly to him. Perhaps one of the assistant AD's will get women's sports and the other men's.

We do know the athletic department will no longer have a women's and men's athletic director. We've heard conflicting things on the fate of Chris Plonsky. Most likely is she'll ride her contract into retirement.

TEAM

The freshman have arrived and the struggle is real. They just aren't in the same kind of shape as the rest of the team but to their credit they are fighting. They'll be fine, it's just that 'basic training' is a bit of a rude awakening as workout intensity is dialed up significantly from what they're used to.

Obviously it's too early to tell anything, but a couple of things I've heard is Joseph Ossai is impressing. He's in good shape, has a good frame, and is showing great fluidity in drills. Another name mentioned was Josh Moore for his speed. Not surprising, but good to hear.

@dosbobby asked us to check on injuries.

What we've heard is everyone is participating as normal save Montrell Estell. I asked about Gary Johnson and heard, he's back, but not at full speed. Gary plays so fast it's very noticeable he's not his old self yet. Hopefully he's not rushing a return. We often get asked about Kirk Johnson, in fact I was asked about him at all three stops in the recent days. He is participating but any production from him at this point is found money. I would keep expectations low for him remaining healthy, but obviously keep your hopes high. I wish I would have asked about Cade Brewer but it slipped my mind. He's apparently working with the team, however. I'll check on him and Patrick Hudson shortly.

Team 7 on 7 started back up today. Teams were decided by 1s and 2s from spring with freshmen sprinkling in where they can. I have no details on how that went yet, but I'm sure stuff will trickle our way in the coming days.

LINEBACKER RECRUITING

As we know, linebacker recruiting has been worth monitoring for a year now. In the relatively short time the staff has been in place, we've seen it aggressively bolster quarterback, tight end, and pretty much every position, save linebacker. Both the short and long view of the position gives some concern. However, the staff's actions indicate they aren't nearly as concerned as fans.

The depth chart is as follows:
SR Rover Gary Johnson
SR Mac Anthony Wheeler
SR Rover/Mac Ed Freeman
JR B/Rover Malcolm Roach
JR B/Mac Jeffrey McCulloch
SO Mac DeMarco Boyd
FR Mac Ayodele Adeoye
FR Rover/B Byron Hobbs

With the staff's preference for nickel and dime, numbers here appear okay, but things will look much different without Wheeler and Johnson next season (which is why I wanted Honas last year). Linebacker is not an easy position to pick up quickly, so time to incubate is preferred. Mac and B, which is used more situationally, should be fine as long as Adeoye delivers. Rover, is the prime concern because it takes a special athlete to unlock the potential of the position. That may be early enrollee DeGabriel Floyd, but that's a pretty big projection. It may also be DeMarvion Overshown who arrived in Austin over 210 pounds.

The bolded are questions from intelligent recruitnik @spacecitywrangler from the Prospect Board.

What's the status with Henry? I know he's committed to the Vols. Does he still visit Texas?

Juco Lakia Henry committed to Tennessee last month. He might still visit, but Texas isn't pushing all that hard. They'd take a visit, though, but as a way to help steal him late if needed.

Gbenda...I have a bad feeling about the aggy picnic coming up. Thoughts?

Right now, David Gbenda is leaning A&M ever-so-slightly. The Aggies have done a good job pushing for him, while Texas is remaining patient, waiting to see how other targets pan out. UT likes Gbenda, and might take him, but they’re in no rush. He's stated he could commit at anytime provided he gets the "right feeling" from a school. Could that be this weekend? Sure, but he's also stated he wants to slow things down himself. Texas likes him but I doubt he's viewed as being part of a maximized class. Right now the schools recruiting Gbenda the hardest are A&M, Baylor, and Ole Miss.

Richardson...he's a LB'er in my book. Is Texas recruiting him as a LB'er? Does he have his heart set on a certain position? 

The Waxahacie safety and A&M commit is a bit of an enigma. He’s content with being pledged to the Aggies, but coach Naivar is keeping in touch. Texas has Catalon, Adimora, and probably Cine in its sights, but won’t back off Richardson anytime soon. Could he play LB? Sure. Will he? Probably not and nobody will land him by recruiting him as one.

Besides Tongue, who else does Texas have a shot at? Tufano? Cooper? Lytle? Other names?

Makiya Tongue and Texas have a nice relationship and he wants to visit again. The LB position is probably the most up in the air in terms of targets and priorities. Spencer Lytle is a possibility, but for now it’s only DeGabriel Floyd who UT seems worthy of its next linebacker invitation. Of course they would take Rian Davis, as well, and they need to knock his official visit in two weeks out of the park. The staff will also work on Bru McCoy throughout. He gives the staff good feedback and has Floyd in his ear. Positioning second in a recruitment sometimes leads to finishing first. He's worth the effort at this point. Going forward expect the staff to tackle linebacker recruiting like it did defensive line late last cycle; patiently, nationally, with an eye towards cultural fit.

Feel free to turn this into a Q&A. I'll post up here for another hour or two.

13 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Higgins is using us as his backup school imo. I don't mind keeping the seat warm in case Stanford doesn't work out for him, but I wouldn't waste any resources on him that could be better used elsewhere, like our last few OVs this summer.

The staff is handling this right, they had him for an unofficial, but they rebuffed his attempt to get an OV and have offered several other WRs in the last week or two.

Banks didnt get an OV this spring and he got all pissy and ran to aggy. kay, next man up, no problem. 

And while we will entertain Higgins and yes I think the back up school is what he sees us as, we arent gonna spend an OV on somebody who has bounced around so much. 

Texas laid the gauntlet down at the WR position. They offered project guys thatd cut your throat ( hyperbole? maybe) to come to Texas. 

Statements been made. texas is good at WR. If we gotta take a few project guys , we will. but the offers are out, and guys are gonna start biting. better get it while the getting is good.

I like this move a lot. Cuts down on the prima donnas. lets see how it plays

12 hours ago, T-dog said:

On a related note, Stanford checks in at #3 of the Times Higher Education World Reputation Ranking, UT sits at #36.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/reputation-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

thats obviously a typo. dont you mean #6? Or #13?

7 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Banks didnt get an OV this spring and he got all pissy and ran to aggy. kay, next man up, no problem. 

And while we will entertain Higgins and yes I think the back up school is what he sees us as, we arent gonna spend an OV on somebody who has bounced around so much. 

Texas laid the gauntlet down at the WR position. They offered project guys thatd cut your throat ( hyperbole? maybe) to come to Texas. 

Statements been made. texas is good at WR. If we gotta take a few project guys , we will. but the offers are out, and guys are gonna start biting. better get it while the getting is good.

I like this move a lot. Cuts down on the prima donnas. lets see how it plays

Pretty sure Banks canceled on us, although I don't care either way 

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Grad transfer, no blocky

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

You can block grad transfers. Which Saban is currently doing. 

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

The "you can't block grad transfers" is a weird messageboard myth 

You can block them, teams just typically don't bother doing it

31 minutes ago, golfclap said:

it's by conference but you absolutely CAN block grad transfers, ask Evan Shirreffs, Shaq Wiggins, Maurice Smith, etc ... 

happens all the time. 

If it is by conference and the SEC presidents voted to allow it, then SABAN CANNOT BLOCK A GRAD TRANSFER TO ANOTHER SEC SCHOOL.

What is so difficult to understand?

Now if SABAN, the University of Alabama, and maybe the NCAA feel like being sued for fun, then they can try to block the transfer, but SABAN & Bama are powerless.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If it is by conference and the SEC presidents voted to allow it, the SABAN CANNOT BLOCK A GRAD TRANSFER TO ANOTHER SEC SCHOOL.

Now if SABAN, the University of Alabama, and maybe the NCAA feel like being sued for fun, then they can try to block the transfer, but SABAN & Bama are peerless.

Saban is blocking a grad transfer right now. The article being linked doesn't change this. You guys are idiots and should feel bad. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Saban is blocking a grad transfer right now. The article being linked doesn't change this. You guys are idiots and should feel bad. 

Guys, quit fighting. I hate when y'all fight. @Fud is right, but it is a slightly misleading tweet. As I understand it, the SEC added an addition year to intra-conference transfers, and that is what is going away, right?

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If it is by conference and the SEC presidents voted to allow it, the SABAN CANNOT BLOCK A GRAD TRANSFER TO ANOTHER SEC SCHOOL.

FFS. 

SABAN CAN STILL FUCKING BLOCK THE TRANSFERS. 

Do you guys not remember when Ferentz granted a full release to Jake Rudock to go to UM? Rudock still had to clear a B1G rule that says that you have to be a student for 1 full academic year at your new institution. So yes, it was totally "allowed" but of course it wasn't feasible without a waiver from the conference. And that was aside from the fact that he still had to choose a major that Iowa didn't offer, actually GET IN to the graduate school, and all the other stumbling blocks to grad transfers have to deal with. That year of residency is the change that was made today for the SEC. It was NOT about blocking. 

The Southeastern Conference voted Friday to allow graduate students to transfer immediately among its member schools, eliminating the one year so-called “residency” requirement that previously stood in place.

Additionally, the SEC will allow any student-athlete at a school that has been placed on a postseason ban to transfer immediately within the conference.

The NCAA is currently considering whether to end the process of schools and coaches blocking an athletes from transferring or dictating where they may go. Under the NCAA proposal, schools would be free to contact athletes when they notify their current coaches, along with stricter tampering rules and the creation of an NCAA-wide database which lists athletes who could be recruited.

As it stands now, SEC schools may still block intra-conference transfers. But Sankey said “those rules may change” under the new NCAA transfer model.

fuck. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Why are there 24 people in the Elite 11 picture?

Because it's the Elite 11 FINALS. From that group of 24, 12 will be chosen and those guys will lead the 7-on-7 teams that compete in a tournament on the last day of The Opening Finals in DALLAS, and the Elite 11 MVP + the final Elite 11 list will be announced after said tournament.

edit: alright, I finally got it this time. stupid selective memory.

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

So, is this Kennedy guy any good?

Any info beyond being from Alabama is appreciated as I'm trying to figure out how much emotional energy I should invest in this scenario.

He has experience playing C. Is that enough information for you or do you need more?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

So, is this Kennedy guy any good?

Any info beyond being from Alabama is appreciated as I'm trying to figure out how much emotional energy I should invest in this scenario.

He's almost certainly better than Shack, so go ahead and be emo 

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

People might think that this bit has run its course and that you should stop. Those people would be WRONG!

I would say ‘run its course” is a bit of an understatement.  More like beaten to death by a mob of angry villagers, ripped limb from limb to bloody shreds, then consumed by pigs and shit into a cholera ridden ditch of sewage.  

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Will June be a big month for Texas?

Texas ended May very strong. How will June go on the recruiting front in comparison? -- Hookem777

EJ: Remember, it was around this time last year that Texas really started to heat up on the recruiting trail. Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown committed back-to-back and BJ Foster followed soon after. Then it took off. We could see a similar run this summer. Four-star wide receiver Jake Smith is set to make his decision soon, and the Longhorns appear to be in a prime position to flip Marques Caldwell from Oregon. On top of that, Texas will host a big event in June, which could produce some earlier than expected decisions. I think June will also be a nice month for the Longhorns on the recruiting front.

Mike: Ideally, the Texas staff would love for May and June to be their big spring boards every year. It's perfect to allow for thorough evaluations during the spring but still generate momentum going into the summer with big events like The Opening. EJ laid the game plan for June out, and I think we could see things get interesting if a few dominoes start to fall.

Does the Tyler Johnson commitment help sway or push anyone else to Texas? Seems like at different times and unofficial visits that Javonne Shepherd, Branson Bragg and Johnson have all bonded via Twitter. -- bigo61

EJ: Johnson was a huge get for Texas. He is a five-star prospect for a reason and an ideal fit at right tackle that could get on the field early in his career. However, Johnson isn’t a big personality guy. Like Roschon Johnson, Tyler keeps to himself and is hardly on social media. I’m sure he’ll help recruit guys like Bragg, Shepherd and Kenyon Green, but he’s not going to be leading the charge vocally.

Mike: He's not going to be a huge vocal recruiter, but guys want to play with good players. I think you saw that with the Texas secondary class last year, and I think there's a chance we could see that with the OL class this year. If Bragg and a guy like Shepherd both decide to join Johnson, it might be enough to sway someone like Kenyon Green.

Obviously, love the Hudson Card commitment. However does this impact the chances with Bryce Young? -- gmchetzatx

EJ: From everything I have been able to gather, Texas is still in the Top 5 for Young as he plans to make his decision this summer. I would say it’s likely that UT takes two quarterbacks in 2020. However, I don’t think Texas has made a concrete decision on that yet. With all this said, I feel like Young will end up at Oklahoma. The Sooners were gaining steam before Card committed to Texas, and I think the situation helps them a bit. It’s always tough to sell a quarterback on being part of a two take class.

Mike: Two QB classes are tough, and I think the Longhorns were happy to land a local kid with a great ceiling. I'm sure they will continue to probe Bryce Young, but it seems like OU and USC are making big pushes there. I would say the chances with him go way down now.

Do you see more 2020 recruits pulling the trigger to commit to Texas in the next few months? -- messican

EJ: It’s a definite possibility. However, Texas doesn’t like to push for early commitments, and it doesn’t seem like key targets want to shut things down early. With that said, I could see a guy like four-star athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson or four-star running back Mookie Cooper hopping on board with strong summer visits.

Mike: There are a few guys who could be candidates to jump early, but more will depend on how this season goes. If Texas picks up some momentum in recruiting and gets off to a hot start, I think you could see some bigger numbers in 2020.

How close in ability are CBs Marcus Banks and Marques Caldwell? Does getting Caldwell make up for losing Banks? -- samuraiHorn

EJ: Very close. I think Caldwell was a guy that people forgot about. He committed to Oregon so early, and he hasn’t really been moved up in the rankings since then. Banks is faster and a more natural cover corner. However, Caldwell is really long and athletic and has a ton of upside. I also like that he’s getting more physical and adding weight. He impressed me this offseason and could be a steal if UT flips him from the Ducks.

Mike: I talked to a 7v7 coach during the early spring who told me that he thought Caldwell had the highest ceiling of any corner in-state. I think Banks is a pretty safe cover corner, but Caldwell gives you more physicality and upside.

Who are the top few, if any, prospects that jumped out this spring that you weren’t expecting going into the spring season? -Springhrn

EJ: This spring was my first chance to see four-star outside linebacker Rian Davis in person, and he was probably the best defensive recruit I saw during my spring tour, which included 51 stops. Davis is a ferocious linebacker with great size and speed. He’s going to be a stud at the next level. On the opposite side of the ball, I would go with Texas tight end commit Brayden Liebrock. After watching him in person, I think he has the makings of an NFL tight end. He moves like a receiver and has great hands. He’ll be a monster once he gets in UT’s strength and conditioning program.

Mike: I didn't get to make the spring travels that EJ did, but I was able to go to a few spring games. All of them were to see known studs, so I wouldn't say that any really jumped out. Jalen Catalon and Chris Thompson were the two best I saw, and I totally expected them to be.[/Spolier]

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

People might think that this bit has run its course and that you should stop. Those people would be WRONG!

34 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I would say ‘run its course” is a bit of an understatement.  More like beaten to death by a mob of angry villagers, ripped limb from limb to bloody shreds, then consumed by pigs and shit into a cholera ridden ditch of sewage.  

do you two homos have waddle updates or not.  

E.J. Holland: Four-star WR Elijah Higgins locks in return visit to Texas

Elijah Higgins will be back on campus soon. The four-star wide receiver out of Austin Bowie made a quick stop at Texas on Thursday to talk to the staff about summer visit plans. While he did not lock in an official visit, Higgins will make an unofficial visit to UT on June 8. Higgins was considered a Texas lean early in the process, but it appears Stanford is currently in the pole position. Schools like Auburn, Florida and Ohio State are also involved in his recruitment. At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Higgins is ranked as the No. 25 wide receiver in the country and No. 22 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

Justin Wells with some additional recruiting news:

Let’s not waste time with pleasantries. It’s going to be a busy weekend and beyond.

On Jake Smith...the6’1, 180-pound 4-star WR from Scottsdale, AZ (Notre Dame Preparatory) will arrive in Austin tonight. Once he steps foot on Texas soil, it will be his home away from home.

He’ll get the premium package. Academics, global networking, traditions, and Texas Pride will be stations he and his family experience on this ride called a UT Official Visit.

I’ve written much of Smith and Texas’ chances of landing the elite pass-catcher. Best guess: he’ll commit to the Longhorns. Soon.

On Marques Caldwell...the Alvin CB and Oregon pledge might be getting closer to making the call to coach Herman. Most Texas offers, like most schools, have a shelf life and expiration date. The elites’ last until NSD. For others, it’s a ticking clock. I don’t think the Horns are playing around at cornerback. They want one more to join KWII. Caldwell can be that guy. Soon.

On Elijah Higgins... snuck on campus yesterday, but nothing formal. Most of the coaches are already on the road, coaching satellite camps. Texas CB coach Jason Washington is at Florida Atlantic for its camp.

But that quick stop + an unofficial visit on June 8th makes me think the Austin Bowie product, once a Texas lean, is still answering UT’s phone calls. I’ll say Stanford until I’m told otherwise.

On Malik Hornsby and Roschon Johnson.. The rapid-rising 2020 QB from H-town has a planned camp schedule this month, with Texas hopefully seeing him soon. I don’t think the early QB take, Hudson Card, has deterred his desire to strongly consider Texas over the next few years.

With Ro-Jo, he’s headed to the Elite 11 trials. He told me he’s too excited and ready to represent Texas properly.

I’ll be at ETBU in Marshall for the Texas satellite camp tomorrow, then to Dallas for UT’s satellite camp with SMU and others. I’m looking forward to seeing the Horns staff in their environment. It’s always interesting to see how each coach actually coaches. There will also be a number of prospects on hand, and the opportunity to see who makes an impression on Herman and his guys.

A lot going on this weekend. Summer has arrived. Let’s Texas Offseason together.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2