Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I think we let Banks' line go a bit slack and he felt slighted. Leal is the weird one and doubt it's because he likes secretly likes glory holes and jizz jars.

I think it's the reverse, honestly. We misread things with Leal and got outworked while Banks' recruitment took a very strange turn.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I think it's the reverse, honestly. We misread things with Leal and got outworked while Banks' recruitment took a very strange turn.

Maybe I misremember, but you are definitely more on top of it than I am. Thought Leal was on campus several times, trending to us, just prior to going to aggy for what was the first time in months and then suddenly commits to them. Banks seemed likely to commit to us after an early visit and then he trended publicly over the weeks from commit watch to afterthought. Things seemed to sit stale and then aggy starts increasing their effort and begins to trend in his recruitment. 

Edited by rickyspub
Needed to up my 'trending' quotient for Hornius.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Fine.  I’ll admit it.  I’m Geoff Ketchum.  I make things up about recruiting because I like money.  That was my bad.  

But listen, I can’t go into detail on a public forum, but I just received some very interesting information from a source who is as inside as it gets about who the staff might be targeting next if we don’t get Bragg.  And believe me, if this all works out like my source tells me, you may forget all about Bragg ... and possibly very soon!  You won’t be disappointed, I can promise you that.  I’ve probably said too much on here already because this is super sensitive info, so come behind the paywall for the full scoop!

It's Waddle, isn't it?

5 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Maybe I misremember, but you are definitely more on top of it than I am. Thought Leal was on campus several times, trending to us, just prior to going to aggy for what was the first time in months and then suddenly commits to them. Banks seemed likely to commit to us after an early visit and then he trended publicly over the weeks from commit watch to afterthought. Things seemed to sit stale and then aggy starts increasing their effort and begins to trend in his recruitment. 

Banks was thought to be a guy who "lived in the moment". He came to our junior day and seemed to be on the verge of committing, he then visited LSU and named them his leader, then later visited A&M and predictably had a blast there too. But through it all, he had a strong relationship with Jason Washington, which is why it was very, very strange when he more or less cut off contact with Texas a few weeks ago. There's also the complicating factor of his father's death.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Banks was thought to be a guy who "lived in the moment". He came to our junior day and seemed to be on the verge of committing, he then visited LSU and named them his leader, then later visited A&M and predictably had a blast there too. But through it all, he had a strong relationship with Jason Washington, which is why it was very, very strange when he more or less cut off contact with Texas a few weeks ago. There's also the complicating factor of his father's death.

I thought it was dueling rumors about Banks. One side said we had backed off or at least weren't aggressively pushing and the other side said Banks had backed off or was receptive to aggy showing the love. Washington visited his HS soon after these rumors came out and while Banks still seems to be leaning aggy, he hasn't committed yet.

Those seem to be the more natural twists and turns of recruiting. Miss a week of communication and a recruit feels slighted. Miss two weeks and you could be completely out of the picture. Leal was in Austin one weekend and was all UT, then he has an OV the next weekend to aggy, which wasn't even on the aggy insiders' radar, and commits. If Banks is a 'live in the moment' guy, what does that make Leal?

19 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I thought it was dueling rumors about Banks. One side said we had backed off or at least weren't aggressively pushing and the other side said Banks had backed off or was receptive to aggy showing the love. Washington visited his HS soon after these rumors came out and while Banks still seems to be leaning aggy, he hasn't committed yet.

Those seem to be the more natural twists and turns of recruiting. Miss a week of communication and a recruit feels slighted. Miss two weeks and you could be completely out of the picture. Leal was in Austin one weekend and was all UT, then he has an OV the next weekend to aggy, which wasn't even on the aggy insiders' radar, and commits. If Banks is a 'live in the moment' guy, what does that make Leal?

I think when Banks pushed back his OV from the first week of May we all assumed that it was sort of orchestrated from our end, rather external factors. Banks backing off on his own didn't become a thing until mid-to-late May. As golfclap alluded to, it's possible that the death of Banks' father added a new dimension to the recruitment that wasn't present originally.

As for Leal, I think Texas sites underplayed the efforts A&M put into getting Leal, while A&M "insiders" seemed to be even less plugged in and aware than our 9.95ers. It's possible that there was some shady business going on with him as well, but Leal has also been described as a relatively withdrawn guy, which means information on him is less forthcoming, and every change in his recruitment becomes more sudden. That's the way things go following recruiting, sometimes. We don't have anywhere near all the answers, but it's interesting to watch things play out, all the same.

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Surly is the battleground of a massive 9.95er civil war where a bunch of sock accounts post each others content in an attempt at sabotage and slander each other to win the subscriber base. This is some game of thrones shit.

I get to be Ramsey Bolton. Till the dogs eat him. 

EJ after dark: Texas still in a position to steal Caldwell?

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington is continuing to have daily dialogue with Oregon commit Marques Caldwell. The two have been working hard to set up an unofficial visit, and it appears Caldwell will be making his way down to Austin next Friday. However, details are still being worked out. We still feel very confident that UT can flip him from the Ducks.

— According to a Louisiana source, Texas has a slight edge for four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. While we reported last week that Clemson was making him have second thoughts, the source said that Arizona State is now UT’s biggest threat after making a huge impression on his official visit over the weekend. Next up for Tongue is an OV to Georgia this weekend.

— It doesn’t appear that things are over just yet five-star LSU offensive line commit Kardell Thomas. He plans to use all five of his official visits and mentioned that Texas was a possibility. Remember, Thomas had legitimate interest in UT early in his process and made his way down to Austin for an unofficial visit. With all this said, we think he likely sticks with LSU.

— There is still no specific decision date set in stone for four-star Trinity Christian Cedar Hill defensive back Lewis Cine, but I am told that he still plans to do it before the season. Cine is tentatively set to make an official visit to Texas next weekend and has high interest in the Longhorns. He will make an OV to Penn State this weekend. The Nittany Lions are still considered the favorites.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which committed target can UT flip?

Out of these three committed prospects -- DeMarvin Leal, Garrett Wilson and NaNa Osafo-Mensah -- which one is most likely to flip to Texas? -- UTwildcatter34

EJ: I’m going to say DeMarvin Leal. Obviously, Texas has put in a ton of work in that recruitment and is still pushing hard every single day. Leal enjoyed his official visit in May and wants to make some return trips to Texas before inking with the Aggies. Jason Washington, last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, getting more and more involved is definitely helping Texas, and Bryan Carrington is continuing to impress Leal’s mother, who still has an affinity for the UT program. I still feel like Texas can flip Leal before it’s all said and done.

Mike: You have to say Leal because he took his official after making his commitment. Osafo-Mensah and Wilson both decided after taking their officials. All three would be tough, but I believe there was enough initial interest from Leal to say that they have a chance. They’ll have to have a monumental season and keep chipping away at the relationship with his mom.

Is it over with Kenyon Green? -- hfj17002

EJ: I think Texas may still get a visit. But as Tom Herman told me over the weekend, some kids just grow up wearing maroon pajamas. Green always loved A&M, and it was no surprise he committed to the Aggies. The Longhorns gave it their best swing and made things interesting, but it wasn’t enough.

Mike: I think so. Texas tried all they could when he de-committed from LSU, but he never showed as much interest as he had in the Aggies. Credit to them for nailing that recruitment and putting it out of reach for the Texas staff.

What other OL options will Texas look into now? -- hjblair

EJ: As far as tackles go, Texas already has Tyler Johnson committed and made a huge impression on Javonne Shepherd on his visit this week. Texas is currently focusing all of its efforts there, and once again, I feel like UT is in the pole position in that recruitment. As long as Texas fends off recruiting rival Texas A&M, it should come away with the two best tackles in the state this cycle — I consider Green more of a guard. Remember, Texas will also get Stacey Wilkins in for a visit in September. As far as interior guys go, Texas is going all out for Branson Bragg and is still communicating with Oklahoma commit EJ Ndoma-Ogar.

Mike: More guys are going to emerge. Keep an eye on Manvel OL Layden Robinson who had a very strong spring. Texas needs to focus on landing Shepherd and Bragg to add with Johnson and try to fill in the gaps from there.

Who is the best DT in the state behind DeMarvin Leal in your opinion? -- texasStrong1171

EJ: There just isn’t much depth at that position in-state this cycle. I would probably go with Oklahoma commit Kori Roberson. I’m actually surprised Texas hasn’t offered him yet. He was really high on the program early in the process and visited for junior day weekend in February. I know Mike is very high on him as well.

Mike: Roberson is my guy, and I think Marcus Stripling is going to make a good interior player. The defensive line talent is just so far down in the last few cycles, and the Longhorns need to find creative solutions. The good news is, there looks to be an uptick coming in the next few classes.

Are there any East Texas players Texas lands this cycle? -- 903txstan

EJ: To be honest, it’s a down year out in East Texas this cycle, so I don’t feel like Texas will have anyone from that part of the state unless they make a late offer. I do like Jefferson’s TQ Jackson more than some of the recent wide receiver offers, and he camped with the Longhorns over the weekend. Texas is also keeping tabs on Newton running back Darwin Barlow and Lufkin defensive lineman Javasia Brunson. Both might be late options.

Mike: Like EJ said, the high end talent just isn’t there. Jackson is an intriguing option, and I’m surprised he wasn’t offered when Texas extended invitations to Jaylen Ellis and Langston Anderson. Other than that, I don’t see any guys that would be great takes for them.

With Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith on board, how many more receivers do you think we will take in this class? -- rcroc52

EJ: Wide receiver is just a weird position at the moment. I feel like they could go as high as five. The Longhorns are still in a great position with Dylan Wright and Makiya Tongue and are right behind USC for Bru McCoy. Of course, we feel like they could pull in Jaylen Ellis, Langston Anderson and Peyton Powelldepending on whom they push for. And don’t forget about Demariyon Houstonand Marcus Washington. This is one of the more intriguing storylines of the cycle.

Mike: I think two more, maybe three if they consider Whittington an athlete. They will push for Wright and have guys like Tongue and McCoy as versatile players who could play a number of positions. This is the one position I’m watching closely to see how it plays out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I personally don't get the pool party. Too much of a sausage fest. I would much prefer something at the lake or any place with UT women in bikinis.

Recruits seem to like it. Plus, we all know Ehlinger takes the priority recruits out on the lake on whoever's boat he has access to when they come through.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Recruits seem to like it. Plus, we all know Ehlinger takes the priority recruits out on the lake on whoever's boat he has access to when they come through.

Between choosing UT and everything Ehlinger accomplished at Westlake, I'm not sure there's a boat on Lake Austin that he doesn't have access to. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I personally don't get the pool party. Too much of a sausage fest. I would much prefer something at the lake or any place with UT women in bikinis.

You seem to take a lot of things very literally. I don't think lack of access to hot girls is an issue recruits face when they visit UT. 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Clark from frog 247 says that the Frogs are worried about Taurean Carter wanting to go where Jeffrey goes since Patterson has "no plans of offering him".

Kid must be a real headcase with all the red flags around him.

Yeah, that is a bad sign if Patterson will not offer a kid.

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Clark from frog 247 says that the Frogs are worried about Taurean Carter wanting to go where Jeffrey goes since Patterson has "no plans of offering him".

Kid must be a real headcase with all the red flags around him.

That is an interesting piece of information considering that Taurean doesn't have an offer from aggy. 

So we can’t flip kids that grow up wearing maroon pajamas, but also have the kiss of death anytime anyone mentions UT as their Dream School....
It's difficult to break free from a cult..

Sometimes the feds just have to come in and burn it down.
  • Like 2