Texas recruiting notes 2019

Hahaha this thread is the greatest. I had a late night working and busy morning, went to the baseball game, phone died and had to catch up on work when I got back, finally get around to reading the thread and I find people learning about Raf, posting pictures of Tex’s jacket, having a legit RB discussion, and questioning EJ’s orientation.

Recruiting thread is the 

goat.png

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Hahaha this thread is the greatest. I had a late night working and busy morning, went to the baseball game, phone died and had to catch up on work when I got back, finally get around to reading the thread and I find people learning about Raf, posting pictures of Tex’s jacket, having a legit RB discussion, and questioning EJ’s orientation.

Recruiting thread is the Tits! 

FIFY

Mike Roach: Elite RB Noah Cain goes in-depth on Texas, recruiting process

Noah Cain has been away from Texas for a couple of years now. After transferring to IMG Academy (Fla.) prior to his junior season, the four-star running back savors his time in the D-FW area. After arriving home for the summer, Cain went to work with his skills trainer Christian White AKA Coach Flight. Cain credits his offseason work for his tremendous performance on the field. “It feels good being home,” Cain said. “I’ve been with Flight since the beginning of my sophomore year, and that’s when I really made a name for myself. It’s just been a blessing to get better every day and get ready to play ball in college.”

While Cain is making the most of his opportunities at IMG, he did admit there are things he misses about Texas. “I miss it a lot to be honest with you,” Cain said. “When I first went to IMG, I didn’t think I was going to because I was here every day. It’s easy to take things for granted at times, but when I’m looking back on things and reflecting on the development I got down here I’m thankful. At the same time, I know I made the right decision to go to IMG.”

Cain is one of the most wanted men in the country. He holds offers from nearly every major program in the country, but he’s still taking things slow when it comes to narrowing things down. “I’m not sure who will get an official,” he said. “It’s a real stressful process right now. There are different schools and different staffs in my ear, and I’m just trying to take my time. I’m coming out with my top five or six in July or August, and after that I’ll have a real solid idea who will get those visits.”

The Longhorns have been a mainstay in Cain’s recruitment since they offered. Running back coach Stan Drayton is holding strong in this recruitment, and he’s receiving some help from Tom Herman. “It’s just the relationship I built with Coach Drayton since I was offered by them last March,” he said. “Bryan Carrington and Coach (Tom) Herman, too. They’ve embraced me as far as coming back to Texas and playing ball. Jordan Whittington is always recruiting me hard, too.”

Cain said he talks to a member of the staff at least once a week. He also said that nearly every member of the staff has spoken with him over the course of his recruitment. Cain’s teammate, Trey Sanders, is also high on the Texas board, and Cain said the two have talked about playing together. “Texas is one of those schools that we’ve talked about where we could see ourselves playing together,” Cain said. “There’s not too many schools that could feature us both and let us eat, and Texas is one of them. We’ve talked about playing together at the next level, but it has to be the right fit for both of us.”

Cain is planning to make a visit to Texas before the end of the summer. At 5-foot-11, 209 pounds, Cain is ranked as the No. 2 running back in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports Composite.

E.J. Holland: Texas offers rising 2019 WR Kennedy Lewis

image.png

Texas has extended a new offer. This time around, the Longhorns put a scholarship on the table for rising Melissa wide receiver Kennedy Lewis. "After a great camp and talk with Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Drew) Mehringer, I am blessed and honored to announce that I have received an offer from The University of Texas," Lewis posted on Twitter. Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is recruiting Lewis, who holds 26 total offers from across the country.

Prior to arriving at Texas, Mehringer served as an assistant at Rutgers, Houston and James Madison. He was also a graduate assistant at Iowa State and Ohio State. Mehringer stopped by to see Lewis during the spring evaluation period. He made an unofficial visit last month and camped with the Longhorns over the weekend. Texas has two wide receiver commits in the 2019 recruiting class in Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington. However, the Longhorns are still looking for a big outside wide receiver, and Lewis fits that mold.

Texas Tech and TCU hold 50 percent of Crystal Ball predictions apiece but just two experts have made picks. At 6-foot-3, 190 pounds,Lewis is ranked as the No. 93 wide receiver in the country and No. 91 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

The Longhorns currently have nine commits this cycle — five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley, three-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock and three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas is ranked No. 13 in the country in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings with a score of 183.74. Texas sits behind Oklahoma in the Big 12 team recruiting rankings. However, the Sooners have more commits. Texas finished with the No. 3 recruiting class last cycle, highlighted by a historic defensive back haul that featured big name recruits like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, DeMarvion Overshown and D’shawn Jamison.

UT’s recruiting success came in its first year under Tom Herman, who coached the Longhorns to a 7-6 season and win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. Herman is under a five-year contract with a base salary of $5 million per year. The 2017 season marked the program's first winning season since 2013 and first bowl win since 2012 under then-head coach Mack Brown. Prior to arriving at Texas, Herman led Houston to its first American Athletic Conference title in his first year at the helm. The year after, Herman guided Houston to a win over Florida State in the Peach Bowl.

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Never heard of this kid. Late bloomer?

He doesn't always generate a lot of separation, and his speed is not top end, but he is a definite red zone threat, and he can make catches in tight spaces.  There are plenty of deep balls in his highlight reel where you're thinking "This one's gonna get knocked down" but nope, he makes the catch.

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

Calculator. I bet he's moving in with cousin Taurean. Let catalon and Taurean recruit him to Texas 

If we push for Caldwell and take his flip commit would we take a 3rd CB?  I'd love to have Carter if he has all his off-field issues resolved.

EJ after dark: Can UT lock up key CB target?

— Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell is set to make an unofficial visit to Texas on Wednesday — he pushed it back a day — and is excited to get an in-depth look at the program. I’ve been told that Caldwell is already sold on the Longhorns but that the coaching staff needs to win over his mother. I’m also told that Oregon has been pushing extremely hard for Caldwell to visit before making any type of decision, which is possible. However, Jason Washington has done a terrific job in this recruitment, and I feel like he should be able to close soon.

— There has been a lot of buzz about Texas A&M and four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright after his weekend visit. Our Mike Roach checked in with Wright’s father, who told him that A&M definitely made a surge following their trip but that everything is still pretty stagnant. Remember, Wright plans to make a decision in January and is not wavering from that timeline. We do, however, feel like it’s safe to say that Texas and Texas A&M have separated themselves from the pack early on.

— The recruitment of four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd got pretty wild over the weekend. There was a lot of speculation about negative recruiting from both sides — Texas and Texas A&M. But here is what I do know: Shepherd was upset with recruiting reporters and Texas A&M fans after not making it to College Station, which, at the end of the day, shouldn't hurt much but definitely won't help. Texas was accused of negative recruiting and ‘lying,’ but I have no reason to believe Shepherd bought into it. There are reports that he will visit A&M at some point this weekend, but I haven’t heard that it’s set in stone. Texas does expect him to make his way to campus on Saturday. We still feel like Texas has the edge over A&M.

— Texas will host another key offensive line target this weekend as four-star 2020 tackle Chad Lindberg informed me that he would be on campus for an unofficial visit. Lindberg is very high on the program early on and has been developing a strong relationship with Herb Hand. In addition, his older brother is a student at Texas, and I have my Crystal Ball on the Longhorns.

• Like 2

DeGabriel Floyd on commitment and recruiting Cali kids to Texas ::

Four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd gave Texas a verbal commitment this offseason and has been a vocal recruiter for the Longhorns.

Floyd sat down with Horns247 to talk about his decision, how he sees himself fitting in at UT and more.

EJ: You made an early commitment to Texas. What was it about UT that really attracted you?

DF: The offer came kind of late. I just thought it was a big name offer. I never took it that seriously until Coach (Todd) Orlando came to my school. There are only a few guys he’s recruiting in California, and he came out here just for me. He told me what he wanted in a player and what he sees from me in the future. That really opened my eyes. He told me that he really wanted me at Texas.

EJ: It seemed like your visit for junior day weekend pushed you over the edge. Is that an accurate take?

DF: Yeah. So I took the trip, and I was with my family, and we loved it. Everything was top tier. The vibe between me and all the coaches was great. I bonded with some of the players like Dele (Ayodele Adeoye), Jamari (Chisholm), BJ (Foster) and a few others, so it just felt like home for me.

EJ: So where does your commitment stand now?

DF: My commitment is 100 percent solid. I’m trying to graduate early and get there in January. I want to learn the playbook, get bigger and just get comfortable with the system.

EJ: How do you see yourself fitting into UT’s defensive scheme?

DF: They want me to come in and play rover. Coach (Todd) Orlando explained to me that the rover is the guy that makes the most plays. I’m excited to play that role. Their rover position needs a lot of speed, instincts and ability. I think I have that. I love going after the ball. They said I have the intangibles to do that, so I’m ready.

EJ: What’s your relationship like with defensive coordinator Todd Orlando?

DF: Man, we have a great relationship. I talk to him all the time. I tell him literally everything that’s going on in my life — wrong, right, good and bad. That’s my guy. He’s a mentor that God has blessed me with.

EJ: What stands out to you about head coach Tom Herman?

DF: Coach Herman is great. He’s a loving father figure to everybody. He’s all for the kids. That’s just the type of person he is. He’s heartwarming. He knows football. He knows what he needs from his players. He doesn’t need to tell them what to do. They know what they need to do to get it done.

EJ: Texas is having some success recruiting the state of California. What is it about UT that’s really attracting kids from the West Coast?

DF: A little bit of it is the saying that everything is bigger in Texas. Football is bigger in Texas. It means something there. I think a lot of guys are really interested in that. And it’s just a great program with a lot of tradition.

EJ: It also seems like Austin is a natural fit for a lot of California prospects. What do you like about the city?

DF: Austin is really similar to Los Angeles. There is a lively atmosphere. There is a lot of stuff to do. People are active and out having fun. It’s just a lively city.

EJ: Which recruits are you working on to join you at Texas?

DF: Bru McCoy is my guy. I try to stay in contact with him as often as possible. I’m not going to name anybody, but I’m in the process of possibly flipping some guys. We’ll see, but I’m the heaviest on Bru. I don’t want to put all his business out there, but Texas is high on his list like he’s said.

EJ: What’s your pitch to Bru McCoy?

DF: Everybody is talking about this Cali to Texas movement. I feel like Texas is trying to recruit the West Coast hard because there is a lot of talent out here. We can make a big name for Texas.

EJ: Last thing, when is the next time you want to make it back to Texas?

DF: I wanted to make it this weekend, but I have some family plans. But I’m going to be back there some time in July. I’ll make my official in the fall.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He doesn't always generate a lot of separation, and his speed is not top end, but he is a definite red zone threat, and he can make catches in tight spaces.  There are plenty of deep balls in his highlight reel where you're thinking "This one's gonna get knocked down" but nope, he makes the catch.

Possible TE-ish/H-back guy down in the redzone?

Four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd gave Texas a verbal commitment this offseason and has been a vocal recruiter for the Longhorns.

Floyd sat down with Horns247 to talk about his decision, how he sees himself fitting in at UT and more.

EJ: You made an early commitment to Texas. What was it about UT that really attracted you?

DF: The offer came kind of late. I just thought it was a big name offer. I never took it that seriously until Coach (Todd) Orlando came to my school. There are only a few guys he’s recruiting in California, and he came out here just for me. He told me what he wanted in a player and what he sees from me in the future. That really opened my eyes. He told me that he really wanted me at Texas.

EJ: It seemed like your visit for junior day weekend pushed you over the edge. Is that an accurate take?

DF: Yeah. So I took the trip, and I was with my family, and we loved it. Everything was top tier. The vibe between me and all the coaches was great. I bonded with some of the players like Dele (Ayodele Adeoye), Jamari (Chisholm), BJ (Foster) and a few others, so it just felt like home for me.

DF: My commitment is 100 percent solid. I’m trying to graduate early and get there in January. I want to learn the playbook, get bigger and just get comfortable with the system.

DF: They want me to come in and play rover. Coach (Todd) Orlando explained to me that the rover is the guy that makes the most plays. I’m excited to play that role. Their rover position needs a lot of speed, instincts and ability. I think I have that. I love going after the ball. They said I have the intangibles to do that, so I’m ready.

DF: Man, we have a great relationship. I talk to him all the time. I tell him literally everything that’s going on in my life — wrong, right, good and bad. That’s my guy. He’s a mentor that God has blessed me with.

DF: Coach Herman is great. He’s a loving father figure to everybody. He’s all for the kids. That’s just the type of person he is. He’s heartwarming. He knows football. He knows what he needs from his players. He doesn’t need to tell them what to do. They know what they need to do to get it done.

EJ: Texas is having some success recruiting the state of California. What is it about UT that’s really attracting kids from the West Coast?

DF: A little bit of it is the saying that everything is bigger in Texas. Football is bigger in Texas. It means something there. I think a lot of guys are really interested in that. And it’s just a great program with a lot of tradition.

EJ: It also seems like Austin is a natural fit for a lot of California prospects. What do you like about the city?

DF: Austin is really similar to Los Angeles. There is a lively atmosphere. There is a lot of stuff to do. People are active and out having fun. It’s just a lively city.

DF: Bru McCoy is my guy. I try to stay in contact with him as often as possible. I’m not going to name anybody, but I’m in the process of possibly flipping some guys. We’ll see, but I’m the heaviest on Bru. I don’t want to put all his business out there, but Texas is high on his list like he’s said.

DF: Everybody is talking about this Cali to Texas movement. I feel like Texas is trying to recruit the West Coast hard because there is a lot of talent out here. We can make a big name for Texas.

DF: I wanted to make it this weekend, but I have some family plans. But I’m going to be back there some time in July. I’ll make my official in the fall.

Good stuff. A reference to a San Diego RB that won the Heisman could probably help with recruiting there too.

59 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Bru McCoy = want

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Good stuff. A reference to a San Diego RB that won the Heisman could probably help with recruiting there too.

I wonder if these kids know who Ricky Williams is, or how great he was. These kids were born four years after Ricky won his Heisman. He was already at the tail end of his career when they were like 4 years old. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I wonder if these kids know who Ricky Williams is, or how great he was. These kids were born four years after Ricky won his Heisman. He was already at the tail end of his career when they were like 4 years old. 

Yeah, Ricky unfortunately was a little bit of a national joke towards the end of his career with his break in Thailand to go smoke weed for a while and all that. He's not tremendously relevant anymore except as part of a history of success.

Updated Rivals top 100

3) Theo Wease
12) Kenyon Green
22) Jordan Whittington
27) Arjei Henderson
29) Erick Young
30) Brian Williams 
39) Garrett Wilson
49) Noah Cain
67) Trejan Bridges 
72) Jalen Curry
75) Tyler Johnson
84) Marcus Stripling
86) Demani Richardson
91) Lewis Cine
92) Marquez Beason 

I fucking hate Mike Farrell.

It's funny because not only does he have the constant OU bias, but it's pretty clear he may be getting a bit of a kick back from the same trainer that is working EJ and Sayles over. Mother of fuck that is some terrible shit. 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, Ricky unfortunately was a little bit of a national joke towards the end of his career with his break in Thailand to go smoke weed for a while and all that. He's not tremendously relevant anymore except as part of a history of success.

I think Texas should be showing these guys highlights of Blaine Irby and Kaelen Jakes. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Updated Rivals top 100

3) Theo Wease
12) Kenyon Green
22) Jordan Whittington
27) Arjei Henderson
29) Erick Young
30) Brian Williams 
39) Garrett Wilson
49) Noah Cain
67) Trejan Bridges 
72) Jalen Curry
75) Tyler Johnson
84) Marcus Stripling
86) Demani Richardson
91) Lewis Cine
92) Marquez Beason 

Others of interest:

1. Derek Stingley

4. Kayvon Thibodeaux

8. Trey Sanders

14. Kardell Thomas

16. Chris Steele

26. Owen Pappoe

35. Spencer Rattler

58. Faatui Tuitele

80. John Emery

82. Mycah Pittman

98. Hudson Henry

100. Rian Davis

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I thought most kids in Cali dreamed of going to Thailand to get stoned.