Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Caldwell is visiting today. He grew up a UT fan and has a time-sensitive offer at CB. Howe is talking about a commitment today. QED...

Maybe it is Fuds mom who is committing to a surly gangbang

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Gbenda? I can’t figure out why you guys think he’s the guy Howe is talking about. He isn’t. Hell, who knows what the hell is going on with Gbenda? It doesn’t even sound like the schools really know. 

This is what Tfloss mentioned about Gbenda:

Something to file away on Gbenda...there's conflicting info out there on which schools are genuinely pushing for him.

From what I can tell, the only Texas site saying Gbenda is a UT priority right now is 24/7.

I've seen talk elsewhere that certain schools have backed off after seeing him live in the spring.

Edited by Bruh Man

E.J. Holland: Texas has Top 5 recruiting class based on average rating

Don’t look now, but Texas is on the cusp of entering the Top 10 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings. The Longhorns are coming off a big May that saw them land five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star tight end Brayden Liebrock and three-star tight end Jared Wiley. Tom Herman and company also opened the summer with a huge recruiting win as they beat out USC for elite slot receiver Jake Smith.

If this story seems pretty familiar, well, it should be. After all, it was at this point last year that Texas really got going. The commitments of Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown on back-to-back days in late May jump-started what would be a summer to remember for Texas as it notched commitments from BJ Foster, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles, Al’Vonte Woodard, Rafiti Ghirmai and Malcolm Epps. Despite facing more competition from Texas A&M, which has momentum with new head coach Jimbo Fisher, and Oklahoma, which has the top recruiting class in the Big 12, the Longhorns have continued to get the job done.

In fact, Herman has embraced the ever-changing dynamics of in-state recruiting. “There is and there always will be competition in the state of Texas,” Herman told Horns247. “The days of the University of Texas just going out and picking 25 players are not real anymore, especially in the social media age, where all these out-of-state programs can have a presence in front of these kids. But that’s okay. Competition makes you better. Those other programs are doing a great job. We feel like we’re doing a great job. There is definitely enough talent in the state of Texas and surrounding states as well as nationally.”

Texas has a pair of Top 10 in-state recruits committed in Jordan Whittington and Tyler Johnson and is in the thick of things with Lewis Cine and Texas A&M pledge DeMarvin Leal, so there is still an opportunity for the Longhorns to take back the Lone Star State. But as Herman said, he is perfectly content going out-of-state as well. Of UT’s nine verbal pledges, four hail from other states, including national Top 150 prospects De’Gabriel Floyd and Jake Smith, so there is no reason for any type of concern. Texas is doing just fine on the trail. Just look at the quality of the class.

If team recruiting rankings were based on the average rating of prospects committed, this would be the new Top 5:

Georgia 95.70

Alabama 93.76

Ohio State 93.24

Texas 92.93

Florida State 92.25

Texas is ranked ahead of Oklahoma, which has an average recruit rating of 92.14, and would have the top class in the Big 12. The Longhorns would also run the state as Texas A&M has a class average of 90.02. In fact, Texas A&M, which sits No. 2 overall in the current rankings, wouldn’t even have a Top 10 class nationally. In terms of quality, Texas is dominating on the re recruiting trail — a trend that will likely continue this summer and through the rest of the recruiting cycle.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Texas has Top 5 recruiting class based on average rating

Hide contents

Don’t look now, but Texas is on the cusp of entering the Top 10 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings. The Longhorns are coming off a big May that saw them land five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star tight end Brayden Liebrock and three-star tight end Jared Wiley. Tom Herman and company also opened the summer with a huge recruiting win as they beat out USC for elite slot receiver Jake Smith.

If this story seems pretty familiar, well, it should be. After all, it was at this point last year that Texas really got going. The commitments of Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown on back-to-back days in late May jump-started what would be a summer to remember for Texas as it notched commitments from BJ Foster, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles, Al’Vonte Woodard, Rafiti Ghirmai and Malcolm Epps. Despite facing more competition from Texas A&M, which has momentum with new head coach Jimbo Fisher, and Oklahoma, which has the top recruiting class in the Big 12, the Longhorns have continued to get the job done.

In fact, Herman has embraced the ever-changing dynamics of in-state recruiting. “There is and there always will be competition in the state of Texas,” Herman told Horns247. “The days of the University of Texas just going out and picking 25 players are not real anymore, especially in the social media age, where all these out-of-state programs can have a presence in front of these kids. But that’s okay. Competition makes you better. Those other programs are doing a great job. We feel like we’re doing a great job. There is definitely enough talent in the state of Texas and surrounding states as well as nationally.”

Texas has a pair of Top 10 in-state recruits committed in Jordan Whittington and Tyler Johnson and is in the thick of things with Lewis Cine and Texas A&M pledge DeMarvin Leal, so there is still an opportunity for the Longhorns to take back the Lone Star State. But as Herman said, he is perfectly content going out-of-state as well. Of UT’s nine verbal pledges, four hail from other states, including national Top 150 prospects De’Gabriel Floyd and Jake Smith, so there is no reason for any type of concern. Texas is doing just fine on the trail. Just look at the quality of the class.

If team recruiting rankings were based on the average rating of prospects committed, this would be the new Top 5:

Georgia 95.70

Alabama 93.76

Ohio State 93.24

Texas 92.93

Florida State 92.25

Texas is ranked ahead of Oklahoma, which has an average recruit rating of 92.14, and would have the top class in the Big 12. The Longhorns would also run the state as Texas A&M has a class average of 90.02. In fact, Texas A&M, which sits No. 2 overall in the current rankings, wouldn’t even have a Top 10 class nationally. In terms of quality, Texas is dominating on the re recruiting trail — a trend that will likely continue this summer and through the rest of the recruiting cycle.

Oh shoot Caldwell's gonna wreck this. Pull his offer.

31 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

This is what Tfloss mentioned about Gbenda:

So, they were excited by his size (5'11" 210lbs) and speed (4.74) and film (which is good) but were disappointed when they saw him work out? That seems kind of odd.

9 hours ago, Fud said:

I think one needs to be a CB/S only if we push the number to six DBs

I seriously doubt it's 6. We are only graduating 4 and have Brandon Jones as the only junior db who's not going anywhere. Its more likely 4 than 6

7 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

I seriously doubt it's 6. We are only graduating 4 and have Brandon Jones as the only junior db who's not going anywhere. Its more likely 4 than 6

It's more like 5. But if a late cycle elite wants in, you don't tell him no, and that goes for any position 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure folks have noticed, and In quite sure it hasnt been properly ramped up yet, but so far attrition has been less than expected. 

Any kind of decent year from Dev. Duvernay I bet he declares and lil' bro transfers.  Cuffee has already been passed by Cook.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure folks have noticed, and In quite sure it hasnt been properly ramped up yet, but so far attrition has been less than expected. 

They talked to good ones into staying, and didn't have to make room by forcing others out 

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any kind of decent year from Dev. Duvernay I bet he declares and lil' bro transfers.  Cuffee has already been passed by Cook.

Sad part is that Donovan isn't bad at all. He was dominated 2 spring games in a row by CJ but still stuck to him like glue. He's just of the vertically challenged variety.

50 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So, they were excited by his size (5'11" 210lbs) and speed (4.74) and film (which is good) but were disappointed when they saw him work out? That seems kind of odd.

Reasonably sure he's 6' 0", he measured in at exactly 6-feet at the Houston Opening. His size is perfectly fine fir a Mike (Mac) in the Big 12.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

But how do you know that’s actually his height and speed? He could’ve been running barefoot or been measuring next to kids with stilts on.

Looks like Caldwell's recruitment won't be so simple after all...

EJ after dark: Intriguing targets planning to visit Texas soon

— Cass Tech (MI) athlete Jaren Mangham is coming off an official visit to Colorado and is in the process of setting up more trips. Mangham told me that he should be back at Texas very soon, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns get an early fall OV. Mangham grew up in Texas and has been open to returning to the Lone Star State for college. He is an intriguing option as an outside linebacker or running back.

— Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell did not make it in for his scheduled official visit. This one is starting to take a weird turn. I’m told that some in his corner are advising Caldwell to stick with his commitment or, at the very least, visit Oregon again before pulling the trigger. I’m also told that some family members are very pro-Texas, so Caldwell is getting pulled in different directions. As of a few days ago, a flip appeared imminent. Now, not so much.

— New Texas wide receiver offer Kennedy Lewis told me that he is very excited about garnering a scholarship from the Longhorns and plans to make a visit before the start of the dead period. Lewis is starting to gain plenty of steam on the recruiting trail and has notched a handful of P5 offers over the last few days.

— There has been a lot of talk about running back recruiting, so I decided to check in on Katy running back Deondrick Glass. He told me that he has still been in contact with the Texas staff but doesn’t have a return visit set at this time — he was on campus for junior day weekend in February. It’s clear Texas is focusing on guys like Noah Cain and Trey Sanders, but Glass could be a RB2 take if the Longhorns decide to take two.

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Looks like Caldwell's recruitment won't be so simple after all...

EJ after dark: Intriguing targets planning to visit Texas soon

Hide contents

— Cass Tech (MI) athlete Jaren Mangham is coming off an official visit to Colorado and is in the process of setting up more trips. Mangham told me that he should be back at Texas very soon, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns get an early fall OV. Mangham grew up in Texas and has been open to returning to the Lone Star State for college. He is an intriguing option as an outside linebacker or running back.

— Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell did not make it in for his scheduled official visit. This one is starting to take a weird turn. I’m told that some in his corner are advising Caldwell to stick with his commitment or, at the very least, visit Oregon again before pulling the trigger. I’m also told that some family members are very pro-Texas, so Caldwell is getting pulled in different directions. As of a few days ago, a flip appeared imminent. Now, not so much.

— New Texas wide receiver offer Kennedy Lewis told me that he is very excited about garnering a scholarship from the Longhorns and plans to make a visit before the start of the dead period. Lewis is starting to gain plenty of steam on the recruiting trail and has notched a handful of P5 offers over the last few days.

— There has been a lot of talk about running back recruiting, so I decided to check in on Katy running back Deondrick Glass. He told me that he has still been in contact with the Texas staff but doesn’t have a return visit set at this time — he was on campus for junior day weekend in February. It’s clear Texas is focusing on guys like Noah Cain and Trey Sanders, but Glass could be a RB2 take if the Longhorns decide to take two.

I trust Washington until I see different.