Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Yea I think they’ve sold the SECSESEC pitch well with him early and he bought in. He may flip to Alabama if he has any semblance of common sense,  but in all reality as long as Leal doesn’t go to Texas;  Aggy considers that a win, even though that’s idiotic. 
You're absolutely right that it's idiotic, and you're right aggy would consider Leal going to Bama a partial win as long as his final 3 were Bama, aggy and us. Fucking mind blowing but true.

If the situation was different and his final 3 were blowU, aggy or us, there is no freaking way I'd rather he go to blowU than aggy if the final decision wasn't the Longhorns...NO WAY. That kind of thinking just destroys whatever part of my brain controls logic and sound reasoning.

I truly give less than zero fucks about the best Texas players staying in conference if they aren't going to be wearing burnt Orange, and in fact I'd rather they go ooc if that isn't going to happen, or at least go to a Big12 team that doesn't stand a good chance of beating our ass on any given year. But I guess if you're into being a cuck and riding coattails that sort of thinking doesn't compute..
  • Like 1

You guys have to read this article on Bru.....I know it's Bleacher Report, but Mike is a quality writer.  SC guy (Mike) would eat with us at our tailgate on gamedays.  I'm hearing Bru really likes Texas....

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2782979-5-star-bru-mccoy-is-a-2-way-superstar-athlete-in-great-demand.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

You guys have to read this article on Bru.....I know it's Bleacher Report, but Mike is a quality writer.  SC guy (Mike) would eat with us at our tailgate on gamedays.  I'm hearing Bru really likes Texas....

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2782979-5-star-bru-mccoy-is-a-2-way-superstar-athlete-in-great-demand.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

You all but have guaranteed he's going to USC repeatedly here...which means you're trolling us. 

That or this is a That'sTheJoke.gif and I'm an idiot. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

13 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

the usually deferential McCoy sent a message to a mouthy reserve quarterback by tackling him violently enough during practice to launch him 10 yards upfield. A few hours later, the player's father called Prohaska wondering why his son couldn't urinate.

mouthy reserve qb is probably going to SC because Mater Dei. Texas lock!

12 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

You are a saucy minx, I'll give you that. There's almost no way he doesn't go to USC, but it's nice to be in the mix. 

Bru McCoy at WR is legit. If he wants to play WR, he could be a high NFL pick at WR. If he wants to play defense, you let him play there. If he can go both ways, let him mix into the rotations. His film reflects these capabilities too. He's worth the hype.

The opposite can be said of Tongue. You let him play WR for a year if he requires it in order to sign. He won't hurt you there, but he's a potential NFL LB and that will be played out by the time he leaves the campus, whether at UGA or Texas. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You all but have guaranteed he's going to USC repeatedly here...which means you're trolling us. 

Come on guys, you're more sophisticated than that....recruiting can change on a dime, and I've stated repeatedly that there is no such thing as a LOCK.  All I have ever said about Bru is that (according to knowledgeable sources) it would be a shock if Bru chose another college other than USC. 

All I'm reporting is what I heard.  He really likes Texas.  It will be difficult to pull him as of now, but that can change at any time.

Following recruiting is big boy business, you have to be prepared for all it turns and curves. I'm reporting on the interest.  

I hate trolls, and have little patience for them, if you don't realize that by now, you haven't been paying attention.  The only thing I attempt to provide is the SoCal slant, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Come on guys, you're more sophisticated than that....recruiting can change on a dime, and I've stated repeatedly that there is no such thing as a LOCK.  All I have ever said about Bru is that (according to knowledgeable sources) it would be a shock if Bru chose another college other than USC. 

All I'm reporting is what I heard.  He really likes Texas.  It will be difficult to pull him as of now, but that can change at any time.

Following recruiting is big boy business, you have to be prepared for all it turns and curves. I'm reporting on the interest.  

I hate trolls, and have little patience for them, if you don't realize that by now, you haven't been paying attention.  The only thing I attempt to provide is the SoCal slant, nothing more, nothing less.

I mean...I pay attention. But I don't care about you enough to pay THAT much attention to know whether or not your like the occasional troll, your level of patience regarding pretty much fucking anything, or whether you're a Longhorn94 or UTFanWhatever7 level of homer that should be taken as seriously as Mack Brown talking about senior leadership or Matt Leinart giving me his analysis on who the best team was in 2005. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

You're doing GOD's work Princess and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-weekend-june-29th-july-1st/

– Texas has made the cut for Louisiana Athlete Makiya Tongue who can play either WR or LB. Right now Georgia is the front-runner after dazzling him during his official visit. – (Will)

– 2019 DL, Marcus Stripling (Mayde Creek) was at one time a silent commit to Oklahoma. Many of you may know that when Riley lands a commit he tweets out the eye ball emojis. When Stripling committed, he tweeted out two eyeball emojis. Needless to say, the Sooners are very high on him.

However, Stripling never publicly announced his commitment and ended up backing away from it. Since then he’s actually visited Texas.

He’s also visited Texas A&M, which was the school that had appeared to seize the lead. In fact, I had recently heard that Stripling was about to shoot a video for a commitment to Texas A&M.

That is no longer the case.

Stripling tells me that, instead, he will now delay his commitment and take his five official visits, this fall. His announcement will come after the official visits.

Stripling says he will take official visits to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Syracuse. – (Super K)

Marques Caldwell, 2019 cornerback target out of Alvin (TX), has publicly decommited from Oregon

Caldwell recently visited Texas and as Super K alluded too earlier, it would not be surprising at all to see this swing in the Longhorns favor in rapid fashion.

We will keep you updated. – (Charlie)

– Texas has been searching high and low throughout most of the 2019 cycle for elite playmakers at the wide receiver position. From Elijah Higgins to Garrett Wilson, the staff has been steadily plugging away at recruiting wide receivers who fit the staff’s vision of where they want to take their offense.

To date, their efforts have produced two incredibly gifted players who will have every opportunity to provide an impact as soon as they arrive on campus in Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith. Texas also continues to pursue one of the nations top athletes in Bru McCoy out of California.

With all that being said, according to our sources, the Longhorns are in a very strong position to land another elite playmaker at the receiver position in Demariyon Houston out of Oklahoma City, (OK) Millwood HS.

Houston has steadily been climbing the recruiting rankings of various services over the last six months and he is no longer considered a “hidden gem” as he has picked up offers from around the country. Demariyon visited Texas unofficially back in March and the Longhorns knocked that visit out of the park and as we mentioned, according to our sources, they are locked in at the top of his list.

As for a timeline for his announcement, we would not be at all surprised to see him make a commitment prior to his senior season and possibly even earlier. – (Charlie)

The summer dead period began earlier this week. That means there will be no face to face contact between college coaches and recruits from June 25th to July 24th. Recruiting will quiet down, somewhat between now and then. There will still be recruits committing and coaches and recruits can still talk, just not in person. So I thought now was a good time to break down Texas’ current 2019 recruiting class. I’ll also have two other posts to go with this one breaking down what Texas needs at each position moving forward in 2019. One will be an offensive post and the other will focus on the defensive side.

Texas currently has 10 commitments in 2019. Six on offense and four on defense, and running back is the only position that Texas doesn’t have a commitment. Here’s the breakdown of the current class…

QB: Port Neches-Groves (TX) Roschon Johnson: It has nearly been a year since Johnson made his commitment to Texas, at last years under the lights camp. Texas A&M made a pretty big push for Johnson after Jimbo Fisher was hired. Since then, it has been smooth sailing with Johnson as he’s been doing some behind the scenes recruiting for Texas since he committed.

Johnson is a guy that has dropped in the rankings a bit recently. I don’t pay too much attention to rankings, and this isn’t much different. Johnson is an elite athlete for a QB, and needs some work as a passer. I think he’s a great fit for Texas and Tom Herman’s offense. I think it will be a perfect situation for Johnson too. Getting able to sit behind Sam Ehlinger for two years, giving him some time to develop as a passer and then taking over the offense in 2021. Johnson had an insane junior season. Throwing for 2,918 yards, 35 TD’s and 5 INT’s and completed 65% of his 279 passes. Then he rushed for 1,627 yards and 29 TD’s on 227 carries which is over 7 YPC. It would be very impressive if he could top those numbers in 2018.

DE: Huntsville (TX) T’Vondre Sweat: The first defensive commitment came from DE T’Vondre Sweat. In a bit of a surprise, as some expected him to pick Texas A&M, he was a nice pickup for Oscar Giles. A guy who is 6’3 and already over 250 pounds, I think he grows into a perfect fit as a strong-side DE in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 defense.

This guy fits the bill of a recruit that makes an early commitment and most people somewhat forget about until signing day. Sweat has remained rock solid in his Texas commitment and I don’t expect that to change.

WR: Cuero (TX) Jordan Whittington: It seemed like Whittington pushed his commitment date back 5+ times when he was planning to commit to Texas. Keeping people on edge as Texas A&M was the early favorite. Whittington finally pulled the trigger almost four months ago and has been Texas’ most vocal recruiter since. Whittington is a superstar athlete, that could make a difference at either WR or DB. And he’s one of those guys that you just let pick which spot he wants to play, and he wants to play on offense.

Whittington plays at a very small school, so he’s pretty much a man amongst boys out there most of the time. Last year he caught 73 passes for 1,457 yards and 16 TD’s. He also rushed for 227 yards and 5 TD’s, and had a pick-six.

OLB: Westlake (CA) De’Gabriel Floyd: The biggest, most impressive commitment that Texas has secured in 2019, in my opinion, is from OLB De’Gabriel Floyd. Going into California and landing the former USC commitment was very impressive, and add to the fact that he’s a Top 60 recruit nationally only makes it that much more impressive. Texas has hit the West Coast much harder than we’ve seen in the past when it comes to recruiting. But I will say that Floyd has been an instrumental part of that success. As he’s just behind Whittington in terms of being the most vocal recruiter for Texas.

Floyd has also been adding some good weight too. Most of his junior season he was around 220-225. He’s now up around 240 and really starting to fill out.

CB: Grayson (GA) Kenyatta Watson: The most freaky athlete award in the 2019 class goes to CB Kenyatta Watson. A guy that’s 6’2 190, who runs a 4.5 with a 4.12 shuttle, and a FORTY-FIVE inch vertical. That’s the quick twitch that CB coach Jason Washington looks for. That being said, a lot of people aren’t sold on Watson’s ball skills and his technique as a big-time CB prospect. If he can put together a strong season against some really good competition at one of the premier HS’ in Georgia, he will shoot up the rankings. He’s a guy that if a DB coach in college and help him become a master technique-wise, Watson can be a first-round pick.

Texas fans can actually thank Jimbo Fisher for having Watson in the fold. As he was originally committed to Florida State until the rumors about Fisher leaving Tallahassee started floating around.

TE: Chandler (AZ) Brayden Liebrock: Texas could have something on their hands with Brayden Liebrock that they haven’t had in years. An elite pass-catching tight end. Thanks to a great job by Texas assistants Tim Beck and Derek Warehime, Texas landed Liebrock over schools like Ohio State, USC, and others. The only thing I’m wanting to see with Liebrock is for him to gain some weight. He’s 6’5 and around 220 pounds right now. If he can get up around 240 by the time the 2019 season starts, I expect to him make an impact for the Longhorns as a true freshman.

Liebrock also played a key role in helping Texas land a recruit I will get to shortly…

OT: Conroe Oak Ridge (TX) Tyler Johnson: Texas OL coach Herb Hand landed a guy that Texas has been looking to land for the past few classes. A 5-star offensive tackle. Texas fans are going to keep being reminded of the loss of Walker Little. And I’m betting he’s an early first-round pick in two years. But Texas got their guy in Tyler Johnson. And I think landing him earlier in the process is even bigger for the Longhorns.

Johnson isn’t a very vocal guy, and that’s a reason he decided to shut down the process early on. I think Johnson is more of a right tackle in college, but I think he has a really solid chance to make an impact as a freshman.

TE: Temple (TX) Jared Wiley: The guy who qualifies as the “raw athlete” on the offensive side of the ball in the current class is TE Jared Wiley. Like Liebrock, he needs to add some weight as he’s around 6’6 225. The difference with Wiley is that he plays QB at Temple. So he’s not nearly as refined as a pass catcher as Liebrock right now. I’m much higher on Liebrock as a prospect, but whichever one of those two becomes a solid blocker first will see the field first.

WR: Notre Dame Prep (AZ) Jake Smith: I love Jordan Whittington, but my instant impact skill player in the current 2019 class is WR Jake Smith. He’s absolutely electric and the biggest thing with him is how fast he can get to his top speed. This is the guy that Brayden Liebrock h deserves a major assist for helping Texas land Smith over USC.

He’s going to go down as a legend in HS football in Arizona. He and former Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk are the only two players from Arizona to rush and receive for more than 1,000 yards each in a single-season. Smith caught only 33 passes in 2017, but for 1,055 yards (more than 33 yards per catch!) and 15 TD’s. He then carried the ball 118 times for 1,135 yards (over 9 YPC) and 11 TD’s.

DE: George Ranch (TX) Peter Mpagi: The most recent Texas commit is DE/OLB Peter Mpagi. I’ve talked about this guy quite a bit recently and after Texas offered I was a little bit surprised. Mpagi is a guy that has talked about for a while that a Texas offer would completely flip his recruitment. So he’s a guy that I thought the staff would wait until December/January after they see how things start to unfold with the remainder of the class. But I get that they decided to take him early, as it’s not the strongest year for DE’s.

Another note that makes sense is that someone noted that there could’ve been a chance that if Texas strung Mpagi along until December/January, he might just lose interest. I think that’s a big example of how recruiting has changed over the years, with so many more early commitments. And Mpagi was supposed to take an official visit to Northwestern the weekend of the Texas “Heat Wave” event. And he quickly canceled that as he was going to commit to Texas. Who knows if he was going to commit to Northwestern that weekend. All I can say is that Oscar Giles has two really solid pieces along the defensive line in the 2019 class. And I expect them to take at least two more. – (Andrew)

The Opening, presented by Nike, will take place at the Star in Frisco Texas and it is the biggest college football recruiting event of the year.

The TFB team will have on-the-scene coverage of 166 top recruits, video interviews, analysis, and more.

Below is a list of the teams constructed by the folks in charge of the event, and we have highlighted the players to keep an eye on for the Longhorns.

Team “Overdrive”

Players of note for UT: OL Branson Bragg, DB Derek Stingley, DL Nana Osafo-Mensah,WR Jaylen Ellis, ’20 RB Jase McCellan, DL Ishmael Sopsher

Team “Impact”

Players of note for UT: RB Noah Cain, RB Zachary Evans, DL Kayvon Thibodeaux, CB Jaden Davis

Team “Hype”

Players of note for UT: RB Trey Sanders, WR Micah Pittman, WR Garrett Wilson

Team “Elite”

Players of note for UT: WR Elijah Higgins, LB Rian Davis, RB Isaiah Spiller

Team “Dynamite”

Players of note for UT: WR Bru McCoy, WR Marcus Washington, OL Stacey Wilkins, LB Shammond Cooper, CB Jeffery Carter

Team “Boomin”

Players of note for UT: OL Javonne Shepherd, LB De’Gabriel Floyd (Texas Commit), DB Marcus Banks, DL Marcus Stripling, OG Kardell Thomas, LB Marcel Brooks, S Demani Richardson – (Charlie)

• Like 1

IT

THE OPENING 
For the first time, Nike's Opening recruiting event hits the road. Destination: The Star in Frisco, TX. For usTexans, the 100-degree heat/humidity won't be too unbearable, but for national pundits that are used to the cloudless and cool Oregon weather at Nike Headquarters, it'll be fun to see who melts first. 

As for the players, I think this gives kids from Texas, Louisiana, and Florida an advantage. PJC and myself will arrive at the practice home of the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday (6/30) and stay through Wednesday (7/3). I look forward to this competition every year because you not only get to see the best-of-the-best, Top Gun style, but you get to evaluate how they compete with their equals at each position. 

This year the Longhorns have a handful in attendance, and a few more on the radar. There's also a group of in-state guys I'm curious to see on this stage. Let's look at each. 

Zachary Evans, RB - North Shore (Galena Park, TX) (2020)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 1, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 5

Note: Every year, Nike invites a few uber-talented underclassmen to the event. When you're the nation's top tailback for 2020, you get the recognition that comes with it. Evans might be one of the youngest kids on campus this week, but you'd never know that watching him at 6-foot-0, 200 pounds. He really likes Texas but it will be interesting to see what he tells national reporters covering the full spectrum of teams recruiting him.

DeGabriel Floyd, LB - Westlake Village (California) TEXAS
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 4, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 55

Note: One of the best linebackers in 2019, the future Longhorn is probably the most vocal of the UT verbals. He's recruiting kids on the west coast like its his job. He'll continue that trend this week. He has the talent, personality, and physical stature that commands respect. 

Elijah Higgins, WR - Bowie (Austin)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 17, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 103

Note: The 6-foot-3, 220-pound pass-catcher is in Atlanta right now dominating the competition at the Rivals 5* camp. I anticipate he'll do the same next week in Frisco. He recently took an UOV to Texas with his family and told me this trip was "different" than before, in a good way. But UT has its work cut out for him. Ohio State and Florida are chomping at the bit for his services. The good news; I doubt Stanford is an option moving forward. Let’s see how Higgins uses his mix of size, quickness, and ball skills this week.

Kenyatta Watson II, CB - Grayson (Georgia) TEXAS
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 49, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 549

Note: The former FSU pledge jumped ship last winter and quickly tripped to Austin. It came down to Texas and Notre Dame. Orlando and Washington did a tremendous job selling him on what the real DBU is about. KW2 knew it was going to be Texas probably three months before he announced. He won't be participating because of a recent shoulder injury, but will still attend and recruit for the #fUTure19. He is quietly working behind the scenes on UT’s behalf in his region.

Jalen Catalon, S - Legacy (Mansfield) 
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 12, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 198

Note: It's rather silly he was a late addition to The Opening roster, but better late than never. Catalon, 5-foot-10, 180, plays with a chip on his shoulder because the rankings penalize him on his size. The truth is he's a playmaker in the truest since and just smells the football. I've heard he's the perfect nickel in the Quandre Diggs mold.

Javonne Shepherd, OL - North Forest (Houston)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 26, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 239

Note: This recruitment has already visited crazy town. Initially an A&M lean, then he told me in February that, "Texas is actually the school everyone talks about." The Aggies have gone to great lengths to get the 6-fot-6, 315-pound tackle on campus. Texas is his top school right now and a commitment could happen at any time. Literally. "Hook'em forever," was my favorite post-Heat Wave quote. 

Marcus Stripling, DL - Mayde Creek (Texas)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 12, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 145

Note: Texas fans shouldn’t get too jazzed up after his recent comments that he'll delay his decision and wait until he takes all of his official visits, though it looks like the Horns will get a visit. It's been an OU-A&M battle for the most part, but this recruitment has the potential for twists and turns. He’s a tougher read behind the scenes than you might expect. 

Jaylen Ellis, WR - Cedar Ridge (Texas) BAYLOR
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 70, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 535

Note: Ellis was offered by Texas over a month ago, and despite his Baylor pledge, he's more open than people realize. He has speed and ability in the slot position, but I'm curious how he looks versus big-time corners. That'll tell me, and Texas, plenty. 

Noah Cain, RB - IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) 
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 4, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 58

Note: One of the nation's top tailbacks is also on the highly desired short list for the Longhorns. Cain, formerly of Denton Guyer, is a fan of Texas, and especially RB coach Stan Drayton. He built up Drayton so much, 5-star Trey Sanders had to see the 40 Acres for himself, which actually put the Horns in the running for both. UT still looks good here, but this one will likely go the distance. An OV to Austin is extremely likely. 

Rian Davis, LB - Wekiva (Florida)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 5, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 75

Note: One of the top targets for the Longhorns, the former Clear Lake Falcon recently took his official visit to Austin, and as usual, had a great experience. He's a kid that fits Todd Orlando's schemes and Texas makes that abundantly clear. Since moving to the Sunshine State, he's been drinking the SEC water, so Georgia and Florida stand out right now. But UT won't let him go easy. If Georgia doesn't take him, Texas looks really good. Herman will push for the Mike LB until NSD. Great linebackers are so damn hard to find. 

Bru McCoy, WR/LB - Mater Dei (California)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 2, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 21

Note: The 6-foot-3, 210-pound athlete wants to play WR at the next level, but a few schools are trying to convince him he's a future star at LB, including Texas. He took an UOV to Austin a couple months ago and instantly scheduled an official visit for the 9/15 game vs USC at DKR. The Longhorns are in his top two schools right now, along with the hometown Trojans. 

Stacey Wilkins, OL - Camden (Arkansas)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 21, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 192

Note: Wilkins maintains he's open after delaying his commitment announcement a couple times already. His tape isn't all that great, but his measureables and athleticism are eye-opening. He wants to take an OV to Texas this fall, and he might. He may also be committed to OU by then. I'm curious how he looks against the Kayvon Thibodeaux’s of the world. 

Marcus Washington, WR - Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MS)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 10, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 62

Note: Texas has built a nice relationship with the power program from Nelly's hometown. You don't hear much about Washington and UT, but there's a lot of contact and relationship building behind the scenes. Don't be shocked if the 4-star shows up at Stars at Night in late July. Ohio State is said to currently hold the edge. 

Trey Sanders, RB - IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 1, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 7

Note: The top running back for the 2019 class is the real deal. He recently tripped to Austin, on his own dime, and was blown away. So much so, he wants to take an OV to Texas this fall. It might be a long shot, especially with UT looking good with Cain, but Sanders is his own dude. Don't underestimate the Drayton Effect either. 

EJ Ndoma-Ogar, OL - Allen (Texas) OKLAHOMA
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 8, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 157

Note: The Allen product is a fan of Texas, but the lack of push turned his attention to OU. He readily states he's solid to the Sooners, but UT still talks to him and is interested. If the Horns can get an OV from him, this gets real. 

Evan Neal, OL - IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) 
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 8, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 43

Note: At 6-foot-7.5, 391, he's a ginormous athlete with plenty of suitors, including Texas. He's a fan of Herb Hand and wants to see Texas again. I don't think the Horns are pushing too hard, but like EJNO, if they can get him back for an official visit, it'll get interesting quick. With his size, I'm curious how he looks against better and faster competition. 

Jeffery Carter, DB - Aledo 
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 11, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 95

Note: One of the best athletes in Texas for his class, Carter is having a little fun with the recruiting process. By that I mean, he's telling a few too many schools they have a shot when in reality its like down to Alabama and Texas A&M. He stays in touch with CB coach Jason Washington, but if Bama wants him, they'll get him. Otherwise, its likely A&M. He's got some knucklehead to him, which means Herman won't lose too much sleep over him. 

Marquez Beason, DB - Bishop Dunne (Dallas) ILLINOIS 
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 4, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 74

Note: Not only one of the best athletes in Texas, but the nation. So why didn't UT push? There's some questions about qualifying. I think this kid is a straight up dog, very raw, but has the tools to compete at a high level in D1. And when the Horns knew they were getting Kenyatta Watson II, this pursuit ended. Also, that commitment to Illinois is pretty interesting. 

Trejan Bridges, WR - Hebron (Lewisville) OKLAHOMA
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 21, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 112

Note: If you watch the tape, Bridges brings a bravado and skill level that is as good as anyone in-state for 2019. He's got some maturity issues and classroom stuff to fix, but in the right situation, he could be good. Real good. Best hands in the state.

Marcel Brooks, LB - Marcus (Flower Mound) LSU
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 6, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 120

Note: On the field Brooks is one of the most talented linebackers in Texas in 10 years. Off the field, it's a totally different story. Don't ask for specifics, but UT could've had him last summer. Herman is adamant in bringing high quality talent and kids in his program. So they moved on. I don't even know if he'll be at Marcus HS this fall. 

Jalen Curry, WR - St Pius X (Houston)
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 23, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 119

Note: The former Stratford HS and Florida State commit is a big target at 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. Out of 22 offers (Auburn, OU, A&M), you'd think Texas would be on him. But despite the measureables, his tape isn't that sexy. He's also stiff in-and-out of his routes with suspect hands. He's got the potential to be a good D1 wide receiver, but UT's big board has bigger fish on the line. I want to see him against some of the country's top DBs too. 

TEAM

One quick injury note from on-campus; Cade Brewer is coming along really well, and despite not being fully 100%, he’s expected to be ready come fall camp. An on-field duo of him and Andrew Beck would boost the tight end position immensely for the Horns in 2018.

• Like 1

Trejan Bridges, WR - Hebron (Lewisville) OKLAHOMA
247 Composite Pos. Ranking - 21, 247 Composite Overall Ranking - 112

Note: If you watch the tape, Bridges brings a bravado and skill level that is as good as anyone in-state for 2019. He's got some maturity issues and classroom stuff to fix, but in the right situation, he could be good. Real good. Best hands in the state.

"Maturity" and grades issues? Sounds like a Sooner to me!

32 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Come on Princess, this is the Surl. You are expected to rule out 'turns and curves' and put your ovaries on the table with your pick. You can't say you would be 'shocked' if Bru doesn't choose USC and then trot back and act like SHOCK doesn't rhyme with LOCK.

16 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Come on Princess, this is the Surl. You are expected to rule out 'turns and curves' and put your ovaries on the table with your pick. You can't say you would be 'shocked' if Bru doesn't choose USC and then trot back and act like SHOCK doesn't rhyme with LOCK.

Or maybe she can post her curves

19 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Haha.....good thing that "locks" like De'Anthony Thomas and DeSean Jackson stuck with USC.......oh, wait.

OB War Room - IMG: T.Sanders, N.Cain, C.Akporoghene; T.Palmer, E.Higgins, M.Tongue, G.Wilson, J.Smith, B.Liebrock, Priest Fucking Holmes

A bit more on five-star running back Trey Sanders, who told OB this week that Texas is very high on his list after his recent UT visit (see our initial report here if you missed it) ...

The Texas coaches have obviously made Sanders a priority, but the Longhorns have a few others working on the IMG Academy standout as well. Sanders mentioned that guys like Kenyatta Watson and Jordan Whittington are recruiting him, and he said former IMG teammate and current Longhorn Dele Adeoye is in his ear as well.

“My former teammate, Dele, he always talks to me about going to Texas,” Sanders said. “I tell him, play with him, say ‘Hey man, I’m going to commit to Texas right now.’ He’s always like, ‘Stop playing with me man, stop playing with me.’ But yeah, they’re talking to me quite a bit.

“I talk to a lot of Texas recruits like Kenyatta (Watson) and all those boys that are committed. Jordan Whittington, they always stay on me about coming to Texas, things like that. They’re in my DMs all the time and I was hanging out with Jordan when I was at Texas. Even when we were in the facility, he was hounding me about committing.”

Of course, Texas is recruiting a couple of Sanders’ IMG teammates in running back Noah Cain and offensive lineman Chris Akporoghene as well. I asked Sanders if he and his teammates ever talk about playing together in college and he said they do, especially him and Cain. On the surface, the odds of two top running backs from the same high school attending the same college would seem very low, but Sanders said it’s not out of the question.

“That’s very possible. I feel like we know what we can do with each other, so I feel like that’s a high chance,” Sanders said.

One potential wildcard in this one is that Sanders’ brother, linebacker Umstead Sanders, just enrolled at Florida on Thursday. Sanders admitted that having his brother in Gainesville does help Florida’s chances.

“It helps a lot. I’ve always wanted to play with my brother in college,” Sanders said. “We always talk about it, but even if I don’t go to Florida, I’m going to tear his head off if I see him on the field. I tell him that all the time too.”

For Texas to have a legitimate shot in this one, getting Sanders back to campus will be imperative. He did tell me he wants to try to return to Austin later this summer and will “probably” set up an official visit, so Texas should have another chance or two to make an impression.

Kentwood (LA) wide receiver Trey Palmer is a Rivals100 member. He’s going to be very tough to pull away from LSU, but Palmer did tell me at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge that he’s planning to take an official visit to Texas, if the UT staff wants to roll the dice and bring him in.

“I’ve always liked them. I use to play them in (video) games and stuff,” Palmer said. “I like their wide receivers coach and I want to go check out their academic programs and things.”

Palmer admitted that LSU is a major player for him and said he’s realistically looking at about five schools. We’ll see if Texas actually pushes for a visit in this one since there are other receivers who seem like stronger possibilities, but it’s not out of the question that Palmer does come in for a visit in the fall.

Speaking of more likely receivers, I was able to catch up with Elijah Higgins at Five-Star check-in to pick his brain.

On his status: 

“I’m narrowing it down. I want to narrow it down and kind of get things out of the way, focus on what I really want to focus on. I don’t have much time left. I probably have close to a month in a half where I really want to sit down and figure things out for myself.”

On how many schools he’s going to keep on his list:

“I’ll probably do anywhere from five to six, because those are really the schools I can see myself going to. I’m not really one to throw in schools just for fun. I really want to start narrowing things down, being honest with myself, basically, being true to myself.”

On Texas making the cut:

“Oh yeah, they’re in there … they’ll be in there for sure.”

On his recent unofficial visits to Texas:

“Usually on visits, you kind of just meet with the coaches, get a feel for where they’re at. But I’ve already passed that stage, I know what the coaches are like, I have a relationship build there with coach Beck and coach Mehringer, coach Herman. All the coaches there, really – coach Washington. So it was really just me sitting down with them, in the film room and seeing what it was really about and them comparing me to different players and things (the staff compared him to Lil’Jordan Humphrey), where they could see me fitting in for them.”

On committing this summer and whether or not he’ll still take official visits:

“That will probably be the only official. Some schools don’t care if you go out and have fun, if you want to enjoy it. But some schools once you’re done, kind of want you to be done. Really I guess that’s up to me. I feel like if I’m unsigned, a person can’t really tell me what I can and can’t do, but I’m going to respect wherever I go and their influence on me and what they want me to do.”

On Ohio State, where he has visited officially and unofficially:

“Just what they have right now. It’s an established franchise, I guess. Urban Meyer there, one of the best coaches in college football. Garrett Wilson is one of my good friends, so he’s pulling for me to. It was fun. It was really just me getting my family up there, my parents, my brother and sister. I hyped it up. I loved it when I went there for an unofficial, I went with Grant Gunnell. It was an amazing time, and amazing place. I wanted them to see that and understand where I was coming from. I think they got it. … It was a great experience, probably one of the best officials I’ll ever take. It was a lot of fun.”

On Florida, where he visited unofficially recently:

“Growing up a Florida fan – I don’t watch much college football – but I was really surrounded by Florida Gators, orange and blue. Once I got up there, it was like a home feeling for me. The coaches were really nice, really great people. Everything was just structured in a way that it was really for me. It just felt like home, family, they let us right in. Just a great place overall.”

On how close the race is between the five or six schools on his mind:

“Oh, it’s close. It’s really close for me. Really it’s day by day. Every day I wake up and see a different name in my head. I’m really just waiting for consistency at this point. I think that consistency is going to come with me sitting down and really evaluating schools, seeing where I see myself fitting. That’s what is going to win, after I sit myself down.”

On how he’ll find one school to choose:

“My family is there for me, my dad and my mom are who I rely on the most. My dad really knows what he’s talking about. He’s a big college fanatic, so he knows the coaches and things like that. But for me, it’s really about feeling what’s right. It sounds a little cliché and cheesy, but it’s really true, the more you get around, the more you understand what you feel and don’t feel. I think that’s really going to play a role in this.”

On what Texas has to offer that’s different than the other schools in the mix:

“Hometown, obviously. I think what they’re trying to do there is a lot different than a lot of schools. Obviously they’ve been very successful in the past. I think they’re at a point right before the peak. I think that’s what’s really different with them than other schools. I think they’re going to prove really soon that they’re Texas. That’s what’s really cool about them is that I think they’re going to do really great things in the near future.”

On if his parents want him to stay close to home:

“They’re cool. She enjoyed Ohio State a lot. I can tell they don’t care where I go. I’ve lived in Columbus before. I know what it’s like, they know what it’s like. I lived in Florida, so everyone knows what it’s like there too. I have ties all over. I don’t think that’s really a factor for me. I think the only factor is that Austin is right there, and it’s a lot different for them to recruit me than other schools. I think that’s the only factor as far as location is concerned is that Austin is right there for me.”

Wide receiver Makiya Tongue released a top three of Georgia, Texas and Arizona State this week, and while there’s been some buzz about Georgia after Tongue took an official visit there a couple weeks ago, we have reason to believe the Longhorns are in a better spot right now than most realize.

Georgia is definitely a threat here with Arizona being a wildcard, but with Tongue hoping to make his decision this summer, we heard this week that this one could fall Texas’ way for the Baton Rouge University Lab product.

A quick update on Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson, who was once again exceptional at the Five-Star Challenge. Wilson chose Ohio State over Texas, but said the UT staff does stay in touch.

“They still text me. They asked me to go to the pool thing they had a couple weeks ago. They’re taking it a little easier but they’re still hitting me up a little bit,” Wilson said. “When they check in with me, I always talk back with them. There’s no hate, we’re just talking. They try to get me to come by campus, things like that. But it’s never too much. I just take it for what it is.”

So does Texas have a chance?

“I’m pretty locked in on the Buckeyes. I’m going to be a Buckeye whenever it’s time for college. I love the Longhorns, but that’s pretty much where it’s at,” Wilson said.

In reading Wilson’s body language and tone, this one feels like it’s going to be extremely tough for Texas to get him to reconsider his Ohio State pledge.

While in Atlanta this week, I had the chance to pick the brain of Ralph Amsden, who covers recruiting for ArizonaVarsity.com and ASUDevils.com. Amsden has covered Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock for the past couple years and has seen them live on numerous occasions, so I figured he’d be a good source for some background on Texas commitments Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock.

On what Smith brings to the table:

“The best thing about Jake Smith is his acceleration. We haven’t had a player like him in the state of Arizona who can get to his top speed as fast as him. He’s probably, I’d say, the number two guy on the West Coast outside of Sean Dollars, as far as being able to get into his top speed right away. His hands are very good. His ability to adjust his speed when the ball is in the air, and his ability to get around the corner are probably the best two parts of his game. The other thing that’s huge for him, as a lacrosse player, he understands finding open space and he’s all about the physicality. He’s definitely not soft, and he’s definitely not somebody who I’ve seen get flustered by someone trying to jam him or anything like that. Then again, he gets moved around so much that it’s really tough to gauge where he’s coming from and what he’s going to do.”

On what Smith will bring to the Texas program:

“The nice thing about going to Texas, I think he sees that he won’t necessarily just be a package guy. … I think he wants to be on the field all the time. I think with some patience and with some development out there, I think obviously you utilize speed like that as quickly as you can, but he’s to me a guy you can depend on at receiver. I think he saw that opportunity at Texas more than anywhere else. It remains to be seen – Arizona kids aren’t exactly known for faring well in the Big 12. We sent Connor Brewer your way and that didn’t work out so well. But speed kills and it translates everywhere, and that’s what he brings to the table.”

On what Brayden Liebrock brings to the table:

“A couple things with him. He has 4.7 speed at 6-5, when you have a completely undeveloped frame, is exciting for any type of player. But his route running ability and his hands, I think he’s shown by dominating 7 on 7 competition all off-season. I know some people say ‘Well that’s not real football’ but the guy is out there embarrassing some of the best players in the Southwest, some of the best players in Florida, some of the best players from California. Part of it is that he has really great chemistry with quarterback Jacob Conover (BYU commitment) and another part of it is just a combination of speed, route running, intelligence and hands. I think some areas of opportunity, you’re going to have to build him up a little bit to be a reliable blocker. That’s something that needs a little bit of work on his part. The other thing is relative inexperience. He didn’t score a touchdown until the first game of the playoffs of his junior year. Gunner Romney was the guy there where most of the targets went. He really only came alive in the playoffs and then in the Geico Bowl against a team out of Florida that he absolutely destroyed. So his emergence is so sudden that you want to see if he has the ability to sustain it against top level competition when he’s receiver 1A from Chandler High.”

On what he feels is allowing Texas to have so much success in recruiting Arizona this year:

“I think it’s twofold. I think the talent level in Arizona is increasing to the point where they had 16 Power 5 commits last year, this year they’re going to have around 35 or 40. And next year they’ve already got seven guys in the Rivals250. The boom in Arizona is out of control right now. Tim Beck came from Saguoro High School out in Scottsdale so he has some familiarity. I think when they look at Arizona, they see that ASU hasn’t been able to keep kids home, UofA hasn’t been able to keep kids home, and the people that have traditionally feasted on that are USC and Oregon. Now that there’s more for everybody, you’re seeing the Big 12 start to show up. I think Texas looks at that and says, why not? When they go out, they’re very intentional, they know the area, they make the kids feel wanted in a way that the other schools in the area haven’t been. To pull Jake Smith away from what he essentially called his dream school and to pull Brayden Liebrock away from the potential opportunity to play with his high school quarterback at Arizona State, that’s big. Both of them basically said we’ve never seen anything like this city (Austin), and they just felt wanted. When the Texas coaches come out to Arizona, they go in the morning and they don’t leave. They stay until well into practice and just watch and observe. Just being around like that and showing that you want these players is everything to these guys. You have to make them feel wanted and right now the in-state schools aren’t doing it.”

The running backs coach at the Five-Star Challenge was none other than former Longhorn great Priest Holmes. I was able to grab him for a couple minutes in between drills to get his thoughts on a few topics …

On how closely he follows the Texas program:

“Very closely. I’m retired and back in San Antonio so I have a lot more time on my hands to be able to do nonprofit work, give out scholarships and support my Longhorns (Note: Holmes provides educational scholarships through the Priest Holmes Foundation. Find out more at priestholmesfoundation.org). I’m excited. I was up at UT this past November of last year. I had a great opportunity to be there. We actually were not on the same schedule so I didn’t have an opportunity to meet (Tom) Herman there, but he opened up the doorways and that’s what we really like. The fact that with him coming in, he’s making sure that the former players that have had many years of success there are able to come back and it’s kind of an open-door policy to get back involved with the school.”

On what kind of progress he sees in Herman’s time on the job at Texas:

“I’ve heard a lot of great things about him. He has a wonderful track record coming over from Houston. I think also, just because of that pedigree and having that tie to the University of Texas at Austin, it’s one thing you always love to do is have the boosters on your side. I think he has that and people have said a lot of great things about him. As far as just corralling the players, making them believe in his system, I believe that’s taken place. It’s just a matter of giving him a little bit of time and I think we’ll see some success. We’re excited to know that we can know that we have to put a quarterback product out there that can show some impact, and I think that they have the ability to do that.

“It always comes back to quarterback play, especially in that conference, so you definitely want to put the best product out there, but you better make sure the team believes in what you’re putting out there at quarterback and he has to have the leadership skills to move the team forward.”

On Texas trying to get back to having a stable of backs like when he played:

“We had a great run. It was running back by committee. Me and Shon (Mitchell) always said they needed to get us out of the way so they could put a fullback in front of Ricky and let him do his thing. You saw what he did when they put a fullback in front of him. He broke tons of records.”

On his best memory from his time at Texas:

“Some of my greatest memories were the bowl games where I was able to have some success. The Sun Bowl was something that I definitely had fun playing in that game, having that comeback victory over North Carolina. Mack Brown was actually the coach there at the time, so there’s some irony there. But then, my freshman year. We came in with some chips on our shoulders. We had Mike Adams, Lovell Pinkney, a big receiver out of the D.C. area, Kenny Harrison. We just felt like we really had a special rookie class coming in. The majority of our guys that year, actually had a chance to start that year at some point of the year. So that was really big for us because we were a really tight-knit group.”

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

I've been watching Trejan since before he had offers. Even despite all that, he's a huge miss for the Longhorns. No two ways about it.

I'm guessing you would have been saying the same shit about Tre Metoyer as well. And yet, no one ended up missing him. A really fast turd just slides down the sewer faster. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You are a saucy minx, I'll give you that. There's almost no way he doesn't go to USC, but it's nice to be in the mix. 

Bru McCoy at WR is legit. If he wants to play WR, he could be a high NFL pick at WR. If he wants to play defense, you let him play there. If he can go both ways, let him mix into the rotations. His film reflects these capabilities too. He's worth the hype.

The opposite can be said of Tongue. You let him play WR for a year if he requires it in order to sign. He won't hurt you there, but he's a potential NFL LB and that will be played out by the time he leaves the campus, whether at UGA or Texas. 

Well duh, I'm Latina, so I was born saucy.  Aren't there women on this board?  We have a big circle of us that follow recruiting like bat-shit crazy die-hards, that consider signing day a national holiday, and live and die by every win and loss.

Cooking and feeding a bunch of guys with connections to the program on game day, and on the boards, we pick up great info along the way, form long time friendships with guys in the recruiting business.

7 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

We have a big circle of us that follow recruiting like bat-shit crazy die-hards, that consider signing day a national holiday, and live and die by every win and loss.

Cooking and feeding a bunch of guys with connections to the program on game day, and on the boards, we pick up great info along the way, form long time friendships with guys in the recruiting business.

Is your name Karen, by any chance?

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

From Joe Cook:

Pulled into College Station for state 7 on 7. Watched Cuero to see Jordan Whittington. This was his first real action in something competitive since groin surgery 9 weeks ago.

He said he messed up his groin early in the 2017 season and played through whatever was hampering him. He looked good for Cuero but they came up short against Mexia in the second round here in College Station. 

He also mentioned that Roschon Johnson is likely the biggest recruiter in the class. Whittington said he knew Johnson was a baller when he saw him in action at Future 50 last summer.

Whittington is a little bummed he couldn’t participate in the opening but he knows it’s because he missed the regionals due to recovery from surgery. Says he’s currently 6-1.5, 202. Texas Coaches talk with him about slot. 

He predicted a top 5 class.

2 hours ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Word on the street is that you are a solid 6, but that personality and love for football makes you a 9 in my book.

So he's a Trojan guy but keeps mentioning aggy player comparisons? Mike Evans once, Von Miller twice..fuck dat shit.

3 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

I've been watching Trejan since before he had offers. Even despite all that, he's a huge miss for the Longhorns. No two ways about it.

Missing on him isn't like missing on Wilson, Waddle, or Preston

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So all that OB and TFB horseshit about something "not Caldwell" going down was just that - horseshit.  That's a shame because in a few hours this place is going next level ghost town for a while.  We now resume our regularly scheduled life.

Think it was just OB saying that.

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So all that OB and TFB horseshit about something "not Caldwell" going down was just that - horseshit.  That's a shame because in a few hours this place is going next level ghost town for a while.  We now resume our regularly scheduled life.

What did we say about something "not Caldwell" going down?