Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is TFB now saying Shepherd isn't visiting next weekend?

Yep.

Earlier in the day, Javonne Shepherd told us he’d be visiting Texas next week for the BBQ. Then, last night at 11:21 PM (you know it just had to be before the clock struck midnight) Shepherd texting me saying “Something came up. I won’t be able to make it”.

Still feel good about where things stand with Texas and Shepherd.

20 hours ago, EZ$ said:

We only have 13 commits, so space for at least 12 more for sure and maybe up to 15 more guys in the class

As of now, I’m only seeing maybe 6-7 realistic (at least 50/50), quality (top 300 players) uncommited targets out there.  We already have a couple “projects” committed, so don’t see us taking 5 more of those types, so are we counting on flips and Jucos to fill out the class? Maybe go after new targets that we impress on the field, but then only have 2-3 months to recruit hard??  Is the staff more confident in the 5-Star out-of-state guys they are after than the $9.95’ers?

I just don’t see Herman filling out the class with bread, so wonder where these championship-type recruits will come from?

and 9 of those 13 are 4*.  pushing 70% "blue chip".  fuck Jimbo Fisher.

EJ after dark: Running back recruiting notes

— Texas is continuing to make a strong push for four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown. The Longhorns are looking to get him down for a visit after the dead period. If that doesn’t happen, we fully expect Brown to make an official visit to Texas at some point in the fall/winter. Brown is in no rush to make a decision and the longer this goes for Texas, the better. It seems like his interest in the program is really rising. Area recruiter Jason Washington is doing a tremendous job here.

— Texas is exploring other running back options and is evaluating three-star University Lab (La.) product Mike Hollins. He holds offers from the likes of Alabama, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Utah and Virginia. Texas has been talking to Hollins about making an unofficial visit at some point after the dead period, so he is definitely a name to keep an eye on moving forward. Don't be surprised if he makes his way to campus next weekend. If the Longhorns extend an offer to Hollins, I'm told it would help with his teammate, Makiya Tongue.

— Five-star 2020 Galena Park North Shore running back Zachary Evans is more than likely going to be in Austin for an unofficial visit on July 27. Evans has visited Texas so many times this offseason that we’ve lost count. We feel very good about where the Longhorns stand with him early on. As we’ve mentioned, Texas has already made him one of its top overall priorities for next cycle. Florida is also trying to get Evans down next weekend, but Texas is obviously the easier trip for him and his brother to make.

— There isn’t much new to report on in-state 2019 running back options. Katy’s Deondrick Glass has maintained contact with the staff but for now, there are no set plans for him to visit. Newton’s Darwin Barlow remains on the radar, but there hasn’t been much movement with him either. Both, however, could become stronger options later in the cycle.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-20th-22nd/

Quick Hitter | Updates On A Pair Of ’19 & ’20 Defensive Backs
– Charlie S

– Spoke to 2019 defensive back Jeffery Carter (Mansfield Legacy, TX) very briefly recently, and he let me know that he is “Not talking to Texas”. While the Longhorns have Kenyatta Watson, Chris Adimora, and Marques Caldwell verbally committed, they are still looking for at least one more defensive back in ’19. At this point, it does not appear that Carter is an option and they will be looking elsewhere to fill that spot.

– Also caught up with 2020 defensive back Bryson Washington (C.E.King, Houston, TX) briefly and he let me know that he will be visiting Austin on the 27th for an unofficial visit. Washington played last season at Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) and has been picking up offers from across the country recently which includes an offer from Texas. Washington will make the trip to Austin on the 27th and follow that up with a trip to Norman to see the Sooners for their BBQ.

While he has ties to Darion Green-Warren, the recent OU commit out of Mater Dei, he has told me that Texas was one of his top schools. After doing a little digging from other sources, I would be inclined to say that Texas is his top school and his visit to campus will be very helpful in putting some separation between UT and several other schools for the talented junior defender.

2019 RB Derrian Brown to Visit Texas
– Super K

A guy we haven’t talked much about but someone I think you’ll be hearing a lot more about in the future is 2019 running back Derrian Brown (Buford, GA).

A friend of mine out in Georgia who happens to be a football coach and knows Brown and has had a chance to see him, described Derrian Brown as “Jamaal Charles 2.0”. High praise but his description of Brown’s game matches what you see on film and there are some similarities to Charles. He’s slasher with speed to separate. He can kill you on the edge and he’s great catching the ball out of the backfield. Like Charles, Brown stands around 5’11.

It seems pretty clear that Texas is making Brown a priority. He tells me that he’s being recruiting by coach Drayton, coach Washington and the head man himself, coach Herman.

Brown was hoping to visit Texas next weekend but it appears that isn’t going to materialize, “I was supposed to visit the 27th (July) but we have practice and pictures the next day”.

So far, Brown hasn’t taken any official visits but says he will “of course” visit Texas this fall. I expect him to make it out for the USC game, early in the season.

Other schools he’s considering for official visits are Auburn, Penn State, Florida State and Notre Dame.

Brown’s running style is a great fit for the Big 12. As he works his way through some initial trash and with it being commonplace in the Big 12 to have five or six defensive backs on the field, his ability to get to top speed coming out of the fray could create real leverage problems for the back end of these Big 12 defenses.

Javonne Shepherd | Updated Visit Plans
– Super K

2019 OT, Javonne Shepherd has been to Texas a lot and things aren’t slowing down. Earlier this week he had let us know that he would be on campus next Friday (July 27th) for what is looking like a big recruiting event.

We continue to believe Texas is the leader but Shepherd has said he’d like to take his official visits before announcing a decision. However, we get the sense he’s been close to pulling the trigger multiple times. So, our thoughts were that perhaps Texas could get lucky next week.

We initially thought the news of Javonne Shepherd visiting could be a bit of good news on a day when a former player came out and blasted the program and an offensive lineman announced he would be medically retiring from football.

But July 18th just wasn’t a Texas Football kind of day.

While earlier in the day, Shepherd told us he’d be visiting Texas next week for the event, later that night at 11:21 PM (you know it just had to be before the clock struck midnight) Shepherd texted me saying “Something came up. I won’t be able to make it”.

Still feel good about where things stand with Texas and Shepherd and we expect him to make it back to campus at some point in the near future.

Marcus Washington Still Expected to Visit Texas
– Super K

As you all know by now, Texas 2019 WR target, Marcus Washington tweeted out earlier this week that he plans to announce his commitment on August 7th.

As one person close to Washington told me, the announcement “came out of the blue”. I spoke with multiple people who are close to Washington and was told the following…

***Washington has only taken one official visit which was to Ohio State. Should he announce in August then it’s the opinion of most that Ohio State would be the choice. However, I’m told that while Washington and his father liked the visit to Ohio State, “it didn’t blow them away”.

***Source also said, “I know for a fact that he’s still open”. The source indicated that Marcus doesn’t truly know where he wants to go, yet.

***Source added that Marcus will take the four remaining official visits regardless of whether he commits in August or not and that will include an official visit to Texas.

***When I asked both sources whether they believe Marcus will indeed go through with the commitment on August 7th, both said they believe things are likely to get pushed back.

To summarize, based on my conversations it looks like the decision will get pushed back and even if it doesn’t, Texas will still get an OV. Furthermore, irrespective of the school he chooses, neither of my sources seem to believe he is fully sold on any single school he’s visited. So, said decision could be described as a placeholder, at best.

Edited by Machinator

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-20th-22nd/

Reveal hidden contents

Quick Hitter | Updates On A Pair Of ’19 & ’20 Defensive Backs
– Charlie S

– Spoke to 2019 defensive back Jeffery Carter (Mansfield Legacy, TX) very briefly recently, and he let me know that he is “Not talking to Texas”. While the Longhorns have Kenyatta Watson, Chris Adimora, and Marques Caldwell verbally committed, they are still looking for at least one more defensive back in ’19. At this point, it does not appear that Carter is an option and they will be looking elsewhere to fill that spot.

– Also caught up with 2020 defensive back Bryson Washington (C.E.King, Houston, TX) briefly and he let me know that he will be visiting Austin on the 27th for an unofficial visit. Washington played last season at Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) and has been picking up offers from across the country recently which includes an offer from Texas. Washington will make the trip to Austin on the 27th and follow that up with a trip to Norman to see the Sooners for their BBQ.

While he has ties to Darion Green-Warren, the recent OU commit out of Mater Dei, he has told me that Texas was one of his top schools. After doing a little digging from other sources, I would be inclined to say that Texas is his top school and his visit to campus will be very helpful in putting some separation between UT and several other schools for the talented junior defender.

2019 RB Derrian Brown to Visit Texas
– Super K

A guy we haven’t talked much about but someone I think you’ll be hearing a lot more about in the future is 2019 running back Derrian Brown (Buford, GA).

A friend of mine out in Georgia who happens to be a football coach and knows Brown and has had a chance to see him, described Derrian Brown as “Jamaal Charles 2.0”. High praise but his description of Brown’s game matches what you see on film and there are some similarities to Charles. He’s slasher with speed to separate. He can kill you on the edge and he’s great catching the ball out of the backfield. Like Charles, Brown stands around 5’11.

It seems pretty clear that Texas is making Brown a priority. He tells me that he’s being recruiting by coach Drayton, coach Washington and the head man himself, coach Herman.

Brown was hoping to visit Texas next weekend but it appears that isn’t going to materialize, “I was supposed to visit the 27th (July) but we have practice and pictures the next day”.

So far, Brown hasn’t taken any official visits but says he will “of course” visit Texas this fall. I expect him to make it out for the USC game, early in the season.

Other schools he’s considering for official visits are Auburn, Penn State, Florida State and Notre Dame.

Brown’s running style is a great fit for the Big 12. As he works his way through some initial trash and with it being commonplace in the Big 12 to have five or six defensive backs on the field, his ability to get to top speed coming out of the fray could create real leverage problems for the back end of these Big 12 defenses.

Javonne Shepherd | Updated Visit Plans
– Super K

2019 OT, Javonne Shepherd has been to Texas a lot and things aren’t slowing down. Earlier this week he had let us know that he would be on campus next Friday (July 27th) for what is looking like a big recruiting event.

We continue to believe Texas is the leader but Shepherd has said he’d like to take his official visits before announcing a decision. However, we get the sense he’s been close to pulling the trigger multiple times. So, our thoughts were that perhaps Texas could get lucky next week.

We initially thought the news of Javonne Shepherd visiting could be a bit of good news on a day when a former player came out and blasted the program and an offensive lineman announced he would be medically retiring from football.

But July 18th just wasn’t a Texas Football kind of day.

While earlier in the day, Shepherd told us he’d be visiting Texas next week for the event, later that night at 11:21 PM (you know it just had to be before the clock struck midnight) Shepherd texted me saying “Something came up. I won’t be able to make it”.

Still feel good about where things stand with Texas and Shepherd and we expect him to make it back to campus at some point in the near future.

Marcus Washington Still Expected to Visit Texas
– Super K

As you all know by now, Texas 2019 WR target, Marcus Washington tweeted out earlier this week that he plans to announce his commitment on August 7th.

As one person close to Washington told me, the announcement “came out of the blue”. I spoke with multiple people who are close to Washington and was told the following…

***Washington has only taken one official visit which was to Ohio State. Should he announce in August then it’s the opinion of most that Ohio State would be the choice. However, I’m told that while Washington and his father liked the visit to Ohio State, “it didn’t blow them away”.

***Source also said, “I know for a fact that he’s still open”. The source indicated that Marcus doesn’t truly know where he wants to go, yet.

***Source added that Marcus will take the four remaining official visits regardless of whether he commits in August or not and that will include an official visit to Texas.

***When I asked both sources whether they believe Marcus will indeed go through with the commitment on August 7th, both said they believe things are likely to get pushed back.

To summarize, based on my conversations it looks like the decision will get pushed back and even if it doesn’t, Texas will still get an OV. Furthermore, irrespective of the school he chooses, neither of my sources seem to believe he is fully sold on any single school he’s visited. So, said decision could be described as a placeholder, at best.

In other words, the staff wants no part of Carter and his baggage.

49 minutes ago, Fud said:

Didn't they recently report that we were still recruiting Marcel Brooks?

Let me clear this up because I see this as being a point of confusion here.
The staff is recruiting and keeping in contact with Marcel Brooks. They aren't pushing hard but keeping in his ear and on his mind. Why do you think he was at one point scheduled to make an UOV to Texas out of the blue if Texas wasn't recruiting him at all?

edit: Texas needs LBs and he's the best LB in the state right now regardless of off-field stuff.

Edited by OnAComputer

Just now, OnAComputer said:

The staff is recruiting and keeping in contact with Marcel Brooks. They aren't pushing hard but keeping in his ear and on his mind. Why do you think he was at one point scheduled to make an UOV to Texas out of the blue if Texas wasn't recruiting him at all?

Maybe a backup plan at OLB if Makiya Tongue falls through?  I don't see anyone else being recruited there (Rian Davis seems gone).  

At ILB, I see S.Cooper, L.Henry, D.Gbenda and D.Heimuli being recruited still.

3 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

I don’t know who you are, but will baizer of tfb posts here as 35dimes. If he wanted to tell us something about that recruitment, he’s surely read this thread and could post himself. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

edit: Texas needs LBs and he's the best LB in the state right now

My read was that was all him. I mean, the staff has let kids visit before when they weren't really recruiting them

Knowing Brooks' issues, I seriously doubt they have any plans on ever taking him 

ESPN rankings updated: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2019

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux

3. Kenyon Green

13. Garrett Wilson

15. Tyler Johnson

16. Spencer Rattler

17. Trey Sanders

23. Theo Wease

26. Kardell Thomas

31. Brian Williams

32. Jordan Whittington

38. Lewis Cine

39. Faatui Tuitele