Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

10 hours ago, Eternal Noob said:

is anybody else having a twitter formatting issue where quoted tweets spill out of the quote box and cover part of the text? 

Easy workaround for now... Click the dropdown arrow next to the username of the person quoted. It'll hide the quote and you can see the reply text.

• Like 2

EJ: Bevo Nuggets

— Texas received a pleasant surprise when four-star Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal made his way to campus this weekend. I’m told the elite prospect had a great time in Austin as the Longhorns rolled out the red carpet. From everything I have been able to gather, it’s safe to say the Longhorns have the early edge in this recruitment. However, I am told by a source familiar with Leal’s recruitment that he still wants to make a couple of visits before shutting it down. Alabama and Texas A&M are the biggest threats. But all signs point to Texas as of today. He would like to make a decision before the summer.

— A factor playing in Texas’ favor in the Leal recruitment is his mother. I am told by a source close to his recruitment that his mother absolutely loves the Texas program. In fact, Leal’s mother has spent some time alone on the UT campus and has a strong relationship with the Longhorns coaching staff. Leal’s mother is also very close to Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington, who is playing a major role in this recruitment. It seems like Texas has really won over his mother, so there is half the battle. 

— Four-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson made his way to campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. But the short trip to the Forty Acres didn’t change the dynamic of his recruitment by any sense. I have my Crystal Ball on Texas for now, but Ohio State hit a homerun on its visit, and I’m told the Buckeyes have the momentum in this recruitment. Texas did a good job of immediately getting him back on campus after his trip to Columbus, but there is still work to be done, especially from a football aspect. Wilson is not sold on UT’s offense right now, which is playing a big role in his decision. With all of this said, I’m told Texas hasn’t lost any confidence here. This recruitment is going to come down to the official visits, and the Longhorns are at their best in crunch time.

— Texas also played host to another local four-star wide receiver in Elijah Higgins. It’s unclear what exactly is holding Higgins back from pulling the trigger, but it is very clear that the Longhorns have the advantage here. Higgins plans to be back on campus later this spring and was wowed by the atmosphere on campus this weekend. The only school that still seems to be a threat here is Stanford. Higgins is a high academic kid and is intrigued by the idea of heading West. But at the end of the day, we would be surprised if he doesn’t stay close to home.

— Elite defensive back Lewis Cine made his first recruiting visit since moving to the Dallas-area from Massachusetts. The fact that it was to Texas speaks volumes of the Longhorns’ chances here. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar has been working night and day on Cine since offering and was attached to his hip throughout his three-day weekend stay. I’m told that Cine found the visit eye opening and that the Longhorns are now a serious player. Cine is also a high academic kid and loved the business school. Penn State is still the leader here, but Texas has plenty of time to change that.

— Four-star offensive lineman Branson Bragg took in the Longhorns’ practice on Saturday and watched the offensive line play closely. He was impressed with how Herb Hand worked with the guys in the trenches and is quickly building a strong relationship with him. However, this was a short trip due to Texas Relays, so Bragg hardly got any 1-on-1 time with Hand. He will make a return visit at some point in the next few weeks.

— The recruitment of four-star outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah is a tough one to read. While Notre Dame entered the weekend as the favorite, I feel like Texas did enough to pull even. The Longhorns not only impressed Osafo-Mensah but also did some major work on his mother and head coach — both accompanied him on the trip. It should also be noted that UT hosted his 7v7 coach earlier in the week. Both Todd Orlando and Oscar Giles spent extended time with Osafo-Mensah and really sold him on scheme fit as well as UT’s academics. This recruitment is going to come down to his official visits to Notre Dame and Texas before his May decision.

— On the graduate transfer front, Texas played host to former Wake Forest wide receiver Tabari Hines. I am told that right now, Texas is probably the team to beat. He does have an offer from the Longhorns and would be a take. In fact, he is the top grad transfer on the board. As I reported last week, Texas really wants some immediate help at slot receiver. If the Longhorns miss on Hines, they will make a harder push for former Notre Dame wide receiver CJ Sanders.

— It’s crazy that we’re at this point in the article and are just getting to the commitment of four-star California outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd. The Longhorns hosted Floyd all week long and felt like they had a strong chance to land him before he got on his flight back home. UT didn’t pressure Floyd but still earned a verbal pledge. The UT staff wanted him to be sure, and Floyd was. He is completely solid, and we don’t expect him to waver at this time. Floyd is pondering enrolling early and is ready to help the Longhorns recruit. Todd Orlando and the aforementioned Carrington did a tremendous job with this recruitment.

— With Floyd in the fold, the Longhorns have an opportunity to make an even bigger impact in the state of California this cycle. Tom Herman has made the Golden State a priority since arriving in Austin and will continue to do so moving forward. Floyd plays on the same 7v7 team as linebacker Spencer Lytle, who recently visited, and five-state athlete Bru McCoy, who is planning to visit soon. Floyd’s commitment could also play a role in the recruitment of five-star cornerback Chris Steele, who recently named Texas a top school.

— Texas hosted several top prospects from the state of California over the weekend as Premium Sports 7v7, which is Floyd’s 7v7 team, invaded Austin. Out of all the prospects that visited, I have reason to believe that four-star wide receiver Braedin Huffman-Dixon and elite quarterback Bryce Young, the nation’s top 2020 signal-caller have the best shot to get offered. Texas has been in contact with Young for a while, and Huffman-Dixon was blown away by his time on campus.

— Texas played host to several trainers and 7v7 figures this week and over the weekend, including Clay Mack, Joey Moss of True Buzz 7v7, the aforementioned Premium Sports 7v7, Doug Smith of Dominate the Day 7v7 and Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King. Mack, who works with several top defensive backs, said his relationship with Texas is growing stronger and that loves what Herman and Jason Washington are doing in Austin. Moss is very close to Dylan Wright, so having him in its corner could go a long way for Texas. Whitfield worked with Toneil Carter and is heavily involved in the recruitments of Javonne Shepherd and Demond Demas. Herman is continuing to embrace 7v7 coaches and personal trainers. He knows the game has changed and is connecting with as many people as possible to win recruitments.

— I had an extended conversation with Whitfield on Easter Sunday. He told me that he loved every second of his experience on campus this weekend. He arrived early in the morning with Demas and rising 2020 quarterback Hunter Dunn and did not leave until late in the afternoon. He met with Herman for about 20 minutes and called him one of the most genuine coaches he’s ever met. Whitfield said the Longhorns staff is extremely welcoming and treated him like a king. He added that Demas loved the visit and felt like it was extremely personal.

— While Whitfield met with Herman in his office, he actually FaceTimed Shepherd. Herman is personally involved in that recruitment and is working extremely hard to reel him in. Whitfield is expected to bring Shepherd down to Austin for an unofficial visit this weekend. I am told that Shepherd plans to make a decision in June and that he will use spring official visits. Shepherd recently released his final eight schools, but I have reason to believe that this one is still down to Texas and Texas A&M. The official visits will be the deciding factor here.

29 minutes ago, Dummy said:

EJ: Bevo Nuggets

Reveal hidden contents

— Texas received a pleasant surprise when four-star Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal made his way to campus this weekend. I’m told the elite prospect had a great time in Austin as the Longhorns rolled out the red carpet. From everything I have been able to gather, it’s safe to say the Longhorns have the early edge in this recruitment. However, I am told by a source familiar with Leal’s recruitment that he still wants to make a couple of visits before shutting it down. Alabama and Texas A&M are the biggest threats. But all signs point to Texas as of today. He would like to make a decision before the summer.

— A factor playing in Texas’ favor in the Leal recruitment is his mother. I am told by a source close to his recruitment that his mother absolutely loves the Texas program. In fact, Leal’s mother has spent some time alone on the UT campus and has a strong relationship with the Longhorns coaching staff. Leal’s mother is also very close to Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington, who is playing a major role in this recruitment. It seems like Texas has really won over his mother, so there is half the battle. 

— Four-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson made his way to campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. But the short trip to the Forty Acres didn’t change the dynamic of his recruitment by any sense. I have my Crystal Ball on Texas for now, but Ohio State hit a homerun on its visit, and I’m told the Buckeyes have the momentum in this recruitment. Texas did a good job of immediately getting him back on campus after his trip to Columbus, but there is still work to be done, especially from a football aspect. Wilson is not sold on UT’s offense right now, which is playing a big role in his decision. With all of this said, I’m told Texas hasn’t lost any confidence here. This recruitment is going to come down to the official visits, and the Longhorns are at their best in crunch time.

— Texas also played host to another local four-star wide receiver in Elijah Higgins. It’s unclear what exactly is holding Higgins back from pulling the trigger, but it is very clear that the Longhorns have the advantage here. Higgins plans to be back on campus later this spring and was wowed by the atmosphere on campus this weekend. The only school that still seems to be a threat here is Stanford. Higgins is a high academic kid and is intrigued by the idea of heading West. But at the end of the day, we would be surprised if he doesn’t stay close to home.

— Elite defensive back Lewis Cine made his first recruiting visit since moving to the Dallas-area from Massachusetts. The fact that it was to Texas speaks volumes of the Longhorns’ chances here. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar has been working night and day on Cine since offering and was attached to his hip throughout his three-day weekend stay. I’m told that Cine found the visit eye opening and that the Longhorns are now a serious player. Cine is also a high academic kid and loved the business school. Penn State is still the leader here, but Texas has plenty of time to change that.

— Four-star offensive lineman Branson Bragg took in the Longhorns’ practice on Saturday and watched the offensive line play closely. He was impressed with how Herb Hand worked with the guys in the trenches and is quickly building a strong relationship with him. However, this was a short trip due to Texas Relays, so Bragg hardly got any 1-on-1 time with Hand. He will make a return visit at some point in the next few weeks.

— The recruitment of four-star outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah is a tough one to read. While Notre Dame entered the weekend as the favorite, I feel like Texas did enough to pull even. The Longhorns not only impressed Osafo-Mensah but also did some major work on his mother and head coach — both accompanied him on the trip. It should also be noted that UT hosted his 7v7 coach earlier in the week. Both Todd Orlando and Oscar Giles spent extended time with Osafo-Mensah and really sold him on scheme fit as well as UT’s academics. This recruitment is going to come down to his official visits to Notre Dame and Texas before his May decision.

— On the graduate transfer front, Texas played host to former Wake Forest wide receiver Tabari Hines. I am told that right now, Texas is probably the team to beat. He does have an offer from the Longhorns and would be a take. In fact, he is the top grad transfer on the board. As I reported last week, Texas really wants some immediate help at slot receiver. If the Longhorns miss on Hines, they will make a harder push for former Notre Dame wide receiver CJ Sanders.

— It’s crazy that we’re at this point in the article and are just getting to the commitment of four-star California outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd. The Longhorns hosted Floyd all week long and felt like they had a strong chance to land him before he got on his flight back home. UT didn’t pressure Floyd but still earned a verbal pledge. The UT staff wanted him to be sure, and Floyd was. He is completely solid, and we don’t expect him to waver at this time. Floyd is pondering enrolling early and is ready to help the Longhorns recruit. Todd Orlando and the aforementioned Carrington did a tremendous job with this recruitment.

— With Floyd in the fold, the Longhorns have an opportunity to make an even bigger impact in the state of California this cycle. Tom Herman has made the Golden State a priority since arriving in Austin and will continue to do so moving forward. Floyd plays on the same 7v7 team as linebacker Spencer Lytle, who recently visited, and five-state athlete Bru McCoy, who is planning to visit soon. Floyd’s commitment could also play a role in the recruitment of five-star cornerback Chris Steele, who recently named Texas a top school.

— Texas hosted several top prospects from the state of California over the weekend as Premium Sports 7v7, which is Floyd’s 7v7 team, invaded Austin. Out of all the prospects that visited, I have reason to believe that four-star wide receiver Braedin Huffman-Dixon and elite quarterback Bryce Young, the nation’s top 2020 signal-caller have the best shot to get offered. Texas has been in contact with Young for a while, and Huffman-Dixon was blown away by his time on campus.

— Texas played host to several trainers and 7v7 figures this week and over the weekend, including Clay Mack, Joey Moss of True Buzz 7v7, the aforementioned Premium Sports 7v7, Doug Smith of Dominate the Day 7v7 and Rischad Whitfield aka Footwork King. Mack, who works with several top defensive backs, said his relationship with Texas is growing stronger and that loves what Herman and Jason Washington are doing in Austin. Moss is very close to Dylan Wright, so having him in its corner could go a long way for Texas. Whitfield worked with Toneil Carter and is heavily involved in the recruitments of Javonne Shepherd and Demond Demas. Herman is continuing to embrace 7v7 coaches and personal trainers. He knows the game has changed and is connecting with as many people as possible to win recruitments.

— I had an extended conversation with Whitfield on Easter Sunday. He told me that he loved every second of his experience on campus this weekend. He arrived early in the morning with Demas and rising 2020 quarterback Hunter Dunn and did not leave until late in the afternoon. He met with Herman for about 20 minutes and called him one of the most genuine coaches he’s ever met. Whitfield said the Longhorns staff is extremely welcoming and treated him like a king. He added that Demas loved the visit and felt like it was extremely personal.

— While Whitfield met with Herman in his office, he actually FaceTimed Shepherd. Herman is personally involved in that recruitment and is working extremely hard to reel him in. Whitfield is expected to bring Shepherd down to Austin for an unofficial visit this weekend. I am told that Shepherd plans to make a decision in June and that he will use spring official visits. Shepherd recently released his final eight schools, but I have reason to believe that this one is still down to Texas and Texas A&M. The official visits will be the deciding factor here.

Too many "I am told"s.  Not sure if I should believe any of it.

39 minutes ago, Dummy said:

The thought that we would lose Garrett Wilson to OSU because he prefers their offense is laughable. If we lose him it will be because of other reasons such as our OC or WR coach or roster preferences or love for Ohio not because of the offense we run.

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

I think we'll need 3 things to fall in place for Green to pick Texas.  Having aggy's DC's brother on his coaching may make it difficult for Herman.

1. Win 9-10 games

2.  Aggy needs to win 7 or less

3.  Land Sheppard.  

Good thing we don't pay you to think or for anything else you might think you could provide this board 

Edited by utfan87

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

OSU negative recruiting Texas offense is interesting considering Beck and Herman were OC's under Meyer.

"You don't want to play for that piece of shit offense.  Come play for our piece of shit offense."--Urban Meyer, probably.

• Like 1

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-monday-april-2nd/

Elijah Higgins: Texas was set to host one of their biggest Wide Receiver targets this weekend when 2019 Bowie (TX) WR, Elijah Higgins, was scheduled to take an unofficial visit to the 40 acres. He is a local guy, so he’s been on campus quite a bit over the last few months. Higgins told me he would be just stopping by for the day to spend some extra time with the staff and see how the team looks.

Higgins is a guy who has said he wouldn’t mind making an early commitment. If that is the case, Texas is in very good spot to land him. Something else to keep an eye on with Higgins is that he’s very close with Lake Travis (TX) WR Garrett Wilson. – (Andrew)

– On Saturday, Garrett Wilson dropped his official visit schedule. While he did not come out and state that he’s narrowed his list, we’ve long thought that Texas and Ohio State are the teams to beat.

The tweet announcing his official visits seems to imply that he is indeed down to those two schools.

Earlier this weekend, Wilson took another unofficial visit to Texas. With his ties to both Texas and Ohio, I asked Wilson just how hard this decision is and he said, “I’d say a ten (ten being the hardest). As far as recruiting gets, I think I’m as deep in it as possible…trying to get it (the decision) right the first time”.

Wilson is clearly torn between the two programs. So, it’s clearly an advantage for Texas that they will get the last visit before his decision.

I exchanged a few texts with Garrett’s father, Kenneth, earlier today and he seemed pleased with the offenses performance in today’s scrimmage.

This one is a tough one to call right now. – (Super K)

Stars On Campus: Texas held a scrimmage Saturday and there was a number of high profile visitors on campus.

Roschon Johnson: Johnson made it in for the scrimmage.

Garrett Wilson: Another big time visitor was on campus Saturday in 2019 WR, Garrett Wilson. Wilson was witness to what I’m told was a much improved offense in today’s scrimmage.

DeGabriel Floyd: DeGabriel Floyd has been spending the week in Austin with his uncle and was on campus today. As you all know by now he committed.

Branson Bragg: Bragg was expected on campus. We are working to confirm he made it.

Demarvin Leal: Demarvin Leal’s mother tells me that they made a return visit to Texas Saturday. This is huge. Leal’s mother had originally told me they were done with in-state visits.

Jordan Whittington: Jordan made his way to town.

Elijah Higgins: Elijah was also expected to be there Saturday, we will work to confirm whether he made it.

NaNa Osafo-Mensah: NaNa made it to Texas and in a word via text he said, “it’s legit!” – (Super K)

– Recently, Wake Forest wide receiver graduate transfer, Tabari Hines, announced that he was visiting Texas this past weekend.

Hines was a slot receiver for Wake Forest and would not be a grade risk for transferring.

– Hines tells us that the other schools he plans on visiting in addition to Texas, at some point, are Oregon, Oklahoma and Marshall.

Additionally, I asked around about where Texas is in terms of whether Hines will receive an offer from them this weekend. Was not given a definitive “yes” or “no” but was told that there is definitely some desire inside the building to do so. As such, my best guess is that Hines will be offered. – (Will & Super K)

– The Premium Sports 7v7 Club out of California paid a visit to Texas this weekend…

There are some ranked players in the group including 2020 QB, Bryce Young as well as new Texas commit, DeGabriel Floyd. I did exchange some texts with the head coach of Premium Sports and he tells me they are still waiting to find out who, if any of the guys will receive offers.

Will keep you updated. – (Super K)

– I spoke with the father of 2019 DB, Kenyatta Watson (GA). Watson is set to be in town this Tuesday (April 3rd to the 5th). I’ll have some notes on where things stand at the moment in the very near future. – (Super K)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Missing on Wilson would definitely be some buzzkill. How much impact (if any) did Baldwin signing with tOSU seem to be having on Wilson? 

This one feels like it is fairly binary. If our offense takes a step forward, he is ours. If we get Beck'd, he will go tOSU. 

Just now, Machinator said:

Nahlin doesn't think the offense was as good as reports say it was on Saturday, and says Wilson wasn't impressed either. 

He also still believes Wilson will choose Texas.

Wilson's quotes from his visit made it sound like it wasn't too impressive.  He said something that implied receivers were not making plays, but that he believed he could have made those plays.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

This one feels like it is fairly binary. If our offense takes a step forward, he is ours. If we get Beck'd, he will go tOSU. 

Is Wilson going to decide shortly after our spring game? If so, Herman needs to tell Orlando to dial the coverage waaaaaaaaay back. 

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

Is Wilson going to decide shortly after our spring game? If so, Herman needs to tell Orlando to dial the coverage waaaaaaaaay back. 

We shouldn't make a habit of altering our practices for the sake of getting a verbal from a recruit, even great ones like Wilson.

Wilson is OVing the weekend of our spring game, and said (as of right now) that he plans to commit shortly afterward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

This Wilson-doesn't-like-our-offense narrative is new to me. Did tOSU put that in his head, or has he been saying that all along?

It's been around, but OSU probably hammered that point 

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We shouldn't make a habit of altering our practices for the sake of getting a verbal from a recruit, even great ones like Wilson.

Wilson is OVing the weekend of our spring game, and said (as of right now) that he plans to commit shortly afterward.

I was being facetious...and even then referring only to the spring game, not practices. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

We're going full Washington General's style on dat O.

Edited by nycHorn

IT

A huge recruiting weekend on the 40 Acres led to a commitment from one of the nation's top linebackers, a future left tackle soon to arrive, a grad-transfer receiver speaks on his Horns visit, more practice notes, and the latest from some of UT's top targets. There's a lot of Scoop, so much so this will be a two part affair.

Here goes.

CALVIN ANDERSON

To really know UT's newest offensive lineman, you don't have to look any farther than his dad.

Father Anderson, a colonel and chaplain in the Army, is well accomplished. He's a doctor, who completed medical school (runs hospitals as a profession too) and just graduated from business school with a 4.0 GPA. He's Calvin's best friend and example of success. Calvin says they have a saying in the Anderson house; It's what we do.

"I was just blessed to be in this position, with so many options like Texas, Michigan, OU, and Auburn," said Calvin. "I leaned on my father for advice. I just wanted the best fit, and on the last day I had a hard time picking between the four. I prayed and God led me back to Austin. It was Hook'Em for me."

The 6-foot-5, 305-pounder will graduate from Rice in May and move to Austin a few weeks later. He was actually at Rice's Pro Day last week, cheering on his former teammates. Then made the drive back to Austin for Saturday's practice and Easter Sunday with his family.

For a guy that could be preparing for the 2018 NFL Draft, he's got a few things left he'd like to accomplish.

"My expectations are to chase the dream," said Calvin. "Football is the sport I love and I want to win here for UT. I want to come in with my head down, earn the trust and respect from my teammates and coaches, especially with the guys on the offensive line. I have a good plan for this season. And I don't shy away from high expectations. Nothing should be given. I have to prove my worth."

Even though he's still a Rice Owl, there's some Austin pride in his voice.

"Hopefully this year, we accomplish what's in front of us," Calvin explained. "Then it prepares me for the draft next spring. I want to give my city something special. This team has something brewing. It's real."

After attending Saturday's scrimmage, Calvin is still doing his homework.

"I'm already learning the offense," Calvin said. "It's coming around, practice after practice. Coach Hand hooked me up with Thundercloud (program for the players to watch, breakdown film). (Hand) has been invaluable already. There's just something about those offensive line coaches. He's such a well-rounded, versatile man. He loves food, and was once on the reality TV series Chopped."

It's no secret the impact coach Hand has had in his short time on the 40 Acres. Besides landing Anderson, he's flipped the script on supposed A&M leans, Javonne Shepherd (more later) and Kenyon Green. He's working hard on Branson Bragg (more later) as well.

"He's the biggest reason I chose Texas, said Calvin. "He was the very first coach to come see me. He was with Auburn at the time. We went to IHOP and I've been sold ever since."

For now, Calvin is awaiting his next challenge. And like his father, he's constantly trying to better himself. It's what they do.

TABARI HINES

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound slot receiver and soon to be graduate from Wake Forest University was on a UOV to Texas this weekend. He got the red carpet treatment.

“Man, coach Herman is great,” said Hines. “It’s a big family at Texas from the fan base to the coaches to the former players.”

Hines is in a great position, not unlike Calvin Anderson. He put together solid numbers in his final season in Winston-Salem, almost 700 yards on 53 catches, and seven touchdowns. He even did well against the Aggies in the Belk Bowl. So he's off to a goo start with the Austin faithful.

The visit was better than expected for the natural slot receiver, a position UT needs to upgrade.

“It was great really,” Hines said. “Practice was smooth and it just reminds me of playing in the back yard against your brother. Everyone likes when everyone makes plays. It's a brotherhood in Austin."

He's still weighing his options, and like he told us on Friday, his decision timeline will likely be in late April. He's still got Oregon, Oklahoma, and a handful of other schools on his radar. Like Anderson, he's weighing all his options.

What will be the biggest factor in him picking his final school?

“Player-coach relationships.”

BRANSON BRAGG

The “Big Intellectual” from Crandall was competing at the Texas Relays last weekend.

“I did alright," said Bragg. "I made the finals against some really good throwers but just didn’t have a great day overall. Finished 8th.”

More importantly, the 6-foot-5, 300-pounder headed over to see the Texas coaches and catch spring practice. Notably, to get to know Herb Hand better.

“I spent a couple hours Saturday watching meetings and practice," said Bragg. "It was great getting to be around (Hand). It’s almost like you can feel his knowledge of the game just by being in his presence.. if that makes any sense.

Bragg enjoyed his time with Hand so much, he's considering a job in coaching down the road.

"No doubt I would," said Bragg. "It seems like something I might want do after my playing career ends.”

The key here was the budding relationship between the 4-star offensive lineman and UT's newest OL teacher. Stanford still has the edge, IMO. But Texas will continue to chip away at this Cardinal tree, one chop at a time. Bragg says he's a maybe for the Orange-White scrimmage and wants to spend more time with Hand.

One swing of the ax at a time.

DEGABRIEL FLOYD

The newest Longhorn had a good idea he’d was going to be a Longhorn when he got on the plane from California Monday night.

The Westlake Village (CA) 4-star linebacker stayed four days during UT's Junior Day weekend and came back to spend time in the ATX for his Spring Break. But this trip wasn't just to see family. It was to join a new one.

“I just felt the way I felt the first time I came to UT," Floyd said. "The same vibes, the same love but 10x more because now I’m committed. My relationship with the players and coaches was just like usual. My bond with the coaches was just as strong. I was still in love, so I just said to myself 'stop wasting time, there’s no better place for you.'"

After a stellar 2018 class, it's difficult to think 2019's could match it. But so far, it's on that path. Floyd is a prime example. Texas never pushed or pressured, or tweeted how "LIT" the state's capitol city was. They just put all the cards on the table. After Floyd got to see how Todd Orlando would use him in burnt orange (B-backer and/or Rover), this one was basically done.

It'll be interesting to see the impact of Floyd's commitment on the west coast targets. Not to blow his own horn, but DeGabriel has some stroke in his region. And he's already gone to social media to recruit. In this day and age where the prospects often recruit each other, joining forces with Jordan Whittington is a winning a lottery ticket.

MORE NOTES....

Garrett Wilson - "I'm taking official visits to Ohio State and Texas, then committing afterwards." This isn't news to the IT membership. We've written as much in the last few months. GW has two schools in his sights and will make his decision right before the summer. This is a two-horse race with the Horns and Buckeyes.

He's from Columbus and his family has ties to the state. But he's also a full-fledge Texan and his relationships locally are stronger than oak. It's no secret he wants to see UT throw the football consistently. He'd probably already be committed if he saw more from the passing attack last fall. I'll give the Texas the slight edge because of proximity and relationships with Texas players and commits. But Ohio State is a legitimate threat and should be acknowledged as such.

Javonne Shepherd - The 5-star OT from Houston North Forest will visit Texas this weekend. It'll be the second time in two months, and I believe his family will join him on this trip. Two months ago I thought this was all A&M, but in recruiting, anything can happen. Like Herb Hand and Yancy McKnight winning over players and parents will straight truth and results.

DeMarvin Leal - The state's top player made a surprise visit to Austin on Saturday. The 6-foot-5, 285-pound defensive lineman is a quiet kid that rarely opens up too much. He'll tell you all the schools - UT, Alabama, A&M, and Oklahoma State (they offered first) - have a shot at the 5-star's signature. But more and more, Oscar Giles is making progress here. The key component might be his mother. She absolutely loves the Texas staff and the idea of DeMarvin staying close to home.

There's scuttle he could be close to a decision, but I don't think that's the case just yet. He's told me Texas, Bama, and A&M will get official visits. At the moment, the Horns look to be putting some separation between themselves and the competition. He's also a maybe for the spring game. I'll have more on Leal later in the week.

Elijah Higgins - This recruitment seems to be getting closer and closer to completion. The local 4-star pass-catcher attended Saturday's scrimmage and continues to lean Texas. It certainly helps when Roschon Johnson and Garrett Wilson are there to share thoughts with. We still have Texas as the team to beat, and like Floyd, wouldn't be surprised if something happened before the end of the spring.

Premium Sports - The 7v7 club team from California brought a bunch of prospects to Austin this weekend on their Texas Tour. Of the names, two to watch for UT are Mater Dei (Corona, CA) teammates QB Bryce Young and WR Braedin Huffman-Dixon. Both are 2020s that "loved Austin and UT" and I could see the Texas staff continuing its pursuit of the west coast duo.

It's no secret Tom Herman has California love. It's where he grew up and the state is full of elite athletes and prospects. Floyd's pledge on Saturday caught a few recruits attention, like OLB Spencer Lytle and ATH Bru McCoy.

SCRIMMAGE STORY

Texas RS sophomore receiver Davion Curtis was in the background with brace on arm due to shoulder he hurt diving for a ball previous practice. He could barely lift his arm. He had a green jersey on, but after being called out by Kris Boyd, saying he lucky he was wearing a non-contact shirt on, and Yancy McKnight asking if he was being soft, he took off the green non-contact jersey and played on Saturday. He had no drops with basically full use of one arm.

Herman approached him after the scrimmage, told Curtis he really surprised him. He didn't think Curtis was going to go on Saturday, but he showed Herman something this weekend. He told Curtis they need a lot more of that from everyone, per my source.

The culture is taking shape. Staying the course might yield profits this fall.

I'm still working on practice info and a handful of interviews. I'll have NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Lewis Cine, Dylan Wright (hopefully), Ainias Smith and Zach Evans info, plus team news later today or in the AM.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 35dimes said:

EJ works hard and all, but god damn if he isn't a fucking little bitch. It makes it so hard to like him. The only thing 247 has going for it is Mike Roach.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, irishtexan said:

I've drank too many glasses of pre-season Kool Aid only to learn that it was a cup of warm piss. I'm just gonna sit back and see what happens before I get my hopes up again. 

Eh, EJ has his place. He generates content, and it's often good content.

I think you have to put all of the $9.95ers in their own context to understand them. I even liked Higdon, in context.

23 minutes ago, Orangechipper said:

Regarding Wilson "But he's also a full-fledge Texan and his relationships locally are stronger than oak. "

NO.  DOOMED.    Has he not seen Jerry Maguire?

we signed an hour ago.  you were in the lobby... with the black fella. 

Cine update from 247 ::

Lewis Cine is adapting well to his new home.

The four-star defensive back recently made the move from Massachusetts to Texas and is enjoying his time in the Lone Star State — so much so that he is now seriously considering some of the best programs in the state.

Cine made his first recruiting visit since arriving in the Dallas-area as he spent a few days at the University of Texas, where he watched the Longhorns practice and got an in-depth look at the program.

“It went great overall,” Cine said. “Seeing the campus and the facilities was a major favorite part of the visit. What stood up to me was that they have some real dogs on defense and are still recruiting the top guys. And secondly, everything there is massive and new.”

Cine also got to spend some time with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar, who offered him as soon as he transferred to Trinity Christian Cedar Hill. The two had an opportunity to bond during his three-day stay in Austin.

“We talked what type of defense they played and how I’d be involved,” Cine said. “I like that he is energetic, and he kept things real with me with numbers and facts and not just words.”

Cine is high on schools further north like Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, which is his leader at this point in the recruiting process. But Cine was quick to admit that his first visit to Texas was an eye-opener.

So where exactly do the Longhorns stand now?

“I’ve been very interested in UT,” Cine said. “That’s the main reason I headed there this weekend. Now, I see what the coaches are like and what type of environment I would be in. I like it.”

Cine plans to make a return trip to Texas down the line.

At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Cine is ranked as the No. 3 safety and No. 37 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

This Wilson-doesn't-like-our-offense narrative is new to me. Did tOSU put that in his head, or has he been saying that all along?

Read the practice reports. Our offense so far has struggled after struggling all last year. Why would tOSU need to put anything in his head when he can see for himself?

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Read the practice reports. Our offense so far has struggled after struggling all last year. Why would tOSU need to put anything in his head when he can see for himself?

Because the tOSU offense hasn't been great and its best offensive coordinator in at least a decade is now the head coach at Texas.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Exactly. Or just look at our offense since 2010. 

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Classic Sarv Sat. The website may change, your username may change, but your unbridled pessimism never will.

Like other said, tOSU's offense has not been good for WRs, either. Just ask BC.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

22 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Classic Sarv Sat. The website may change, your username may change, but your unbridled pessimism never will.

Actually satyanash was his original handle. Allegedly, he forgot his password after he changed computers and thus became sarvanaash. Subsequently after the demise of the Shag, satyanash was born anew on the Surly. But he is still the same glass half empty fellow that he always is - except when it comes to Roger Federer.

So far, it appears to me that in recruiting, Herman drank half your damned water, and he would have drunk the other half too, if he'd wanted, and there's not a damned thing you could do about it.

Being gloomy on the football board is one thing -- since 2010, it's justifiable -- but being gloomy on the recruiting board is insane.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

They may not produce numbers, but they produce draft picks...

2017: Curtis Samuel and Noah Brown

2016: Michael Thomas and Braxton Miller

2015: Devin Smith

The only WR drafted from UT since 2010 is Marquise Goodwin. Completely understandable looking at our QB situation since Colt, but let’s not pretend Ohio St offense is on par with ours.