Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I hope I’m wrong man.  Just doesn’t make sense to visit ou and then commit to Texas immediately after.  Hopefully it’s just Mensa fucking with Riley but I’m more inclined to believe he’s picked SC and is enjoying these last two visits.  If he would have decided on Texas, you’d think he’d come down for the WV game.  I also don’t think Chris Steele’s decommitment will have any impact on Bru’s.  A lot of these recruiting guys say to look at the play player’s actions when trying to figure out where there head is at.  Just seems off for a guy that’s about to pick Texas to visit their rival right before committing. 

Why the hell would a kid from Cali visit ou just to burn a free trip? Hopefully you're right and Tom is fucking with Riley, very doubtful of course. If you have a free trip to burn, use it on Miami, not fucking Norman ousux oklahoma.

1 minute ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Why the hell would a kid from Cali visit ou just to burn a free trip? Hopefully you're right and Tom is fucking with Riley, very doubtful of course. If you have a free trip to burn, use it on Miami, not fucking Norman ousux oklahoma.

On top of the reasons I said on the last page why Bru would go to OU for a trip, Miami knows that it's everyone's favorite "extra" OV. Their coaches aren't idiots and need to see a lot of actual reciprocated interest before they OK burning one of them on a recruit.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

A list of potential early enrollees with Bru added 

Roschon Johnson
Jordan Whittington
De'Gabriel Floyd
Jared Wiley
Peter Mpagi
Marcus Tillman 

Caleb Johnson
DeMarvin Leal
Noah Cain
Bru McCoy
Garrett Wilson 

Whittington gonna grab the slot WR in the spring and not let go....

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

To hang out with his friend Chris Steele?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To hang out with his friend Chris Steele?

Doesn't matter his best best best friend is JT Daniels. That's a bond chris Steele can't break. Jt and bru are going to room together and then have kids and their kids will room together. It's unbreakable bond and no way does anyone get in the middle. 

On 10/17/2018 at 12:20 PM, closetojumping said:

Regarding @jimmyjazz's question about the view on this class, I'll throw in my thoughts.

QB - They got who they wanted and he looks great on film. He's going to be a guy that presses those above him.

TB - I like the Georgia TB more than others, including friends who are closer to recruiting than me and get paid to do it in some form. He looks like a guy that can move the chains, make one cut and get up field, and take a beating. He's not going to be Keontay Ingram, but he's going to be fine if he's spelling Ingram. I hope they land one of the big names, but that doesn't look incredibly promising. I've heard they're less likely to offer a back-up like Glass than they were before the season, and that is good news, IMO. 2020 is a big year for multiple backs. Texas loses Carter, Watson, Porter and Houston, so I expect them to pursue another GT.

Slot - This is the best slot haul in Texas history and is the best in the country in this class.

Outside WR - If they land Washington, Houston, and Lewis, it's an excellent unit to be bringing in. Depth is going to be an issue after this season at all WR positions, so they need to bring in 5-6 and that's what they're doing. Woodard is drawing strong reviews in practice and is someone that will be a reliable producer for the program. Eagles needs to learn how to separate and use his body and physical advantages. CJ has done this, so it's not something that can't or won't happen, but it's the risk on him as a player in development.

TE - This is the best TE haul in Texas history and will rival any in the country. Both guys are underrated.

OT - They're going to sign a future star in Johnson. The other guys they bring in will be guys they really like and fit their profile, irrespective of whether they're ranked well or not. This staff has data they're working off of regarding OL rankings and they think they're working with a competitive advantage in their approach. I do not expect Shephard to be a part of this class and he's not a part of my view at OT. Texas is developing outstanding class-by-class depth at OT and this is a spot to be excited about for the future.

Interior OL - They're short here and they know it. They're pursuing multiple options. Depth for the future is a concern for me here. We need a solution for the future at C and we need more G depth. This will not be a highly ranked part of the class and will probably include a JUCO and/or GT.

DL - Mpagi and Sweat are both excellent takes. Both are excellent evaluations. Is Alabama winning titles with guys like this? No. Our DL recruiting is below that of Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State. This is an area of concern as the roster under Herman continues to develop and grow. They need another couple of guys to keep the depth developing. I wouldn't be surprised by either GT or JUCO help.

LB - This is potentially the best LB class Texas has ever signed, provided they can land Johnson. Johnson and Floyd are both impact guys with pro futures. Tillman and Gbenda are excellent developmental guys who will actually have time to develop with this staff. 

CB - Watson is a stud who will challenge early. He's faster than the guys on the roster and that goes with him being advantaged size-wise. Caldwell is promising for depth. 

S - These guys are excellent follows to the 2018 class. Owens could wind up at LB or a hybrid and that's perfectly fine. 

I think they close with Johnson, Washington, Lewis, Powell, 2-3 OLs and a DT. Throw in a wildcard win via McCoy or Cain or something and you're at 25. I don't think they land Sanders, Catalon, or Shephard. 

As always situation is fluid, new shit can come to light. This should finish as a top 6-8 class though. 

Really hope you're right about the TE's. Saw this tweet the other day and got an instant migraine. 

I actually think Beck has a shot of getting drafted. He's just as good a blocker as Swaim was, and is a better receiver. 

Who's the best blocker in our pipeline? Seems like Brewer, Epps, and Liebrock are split-outs all the way, and who knows what the hell Leitao is (though I suppose being a good special teams player lends well to being tough, and by extension, a blocker).

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He visited last week. He's a big target for us, though we'll see if Powell getting involved changes the calculus there.

Yeah, I got that, but it seemed like everyone was convinced he was ours to lose. Now, there’s not much confidence that we land him. What changed?

15 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Really hope you're right about the TE's. Saw this tweet the other day and got an instant migraine. 

13 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Ugh

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That is like a summary of our recent recruiting misses

7 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

That stings

Kaden Smith showed very little interest in us, he'd only be considered a miss because he's from Texas, but he hardly even entertained the idea of coming here. We recruited Gentry as a QB, and given how we never moved Swoopes to TE, I'm not confident we would have moved Gentry in time for him to have any real impact. The only one that stings is Irv Smith, imo. Bama swooped in last second and took him.

• Like 1

I believe Kaden Smith is a Texan. 
Irv Smith wasn't really a miss. He was a late target after we lost Tennison, iirc.
Did we really run Gentry off for freakin' Kai Locksley? Sure, he was never gonna be a QB, but goddammit, Charlie! And that's cause Michigan always has like 12 TE's on roster.
Noah Fant was a low-rated athlete. Doubt we were ever on him. I don't even know who Albert O is.

Beck has been been a godsend t his year. So happy he's healthy and contributing. I'm not crying over those 'misses', though K. Smith and Fant are pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Irv Smith wasn't really a miss. He was a late target after we lost Tennison, iirc.
Did we really run Gentry off for freakin' Kai Locksley? Sure, he was never gonna be a QB, but goddammit, Charlie! And that's cause Michigan always has like 12 TE's on roster.
 Noah Fant was a low-rated athlete. Doubt we were ever on him. I don't even know who Albert O is.

Beck has been been a godsend t his year. So happy he's healthy and contributing. I'm not crying over those 'misses', though K. Smith and Fant are pretty awesome.

Irv Smith was definitely a miss. He was a silent for weeks and was half the reason we took Aucoin that class.

Kaden was #1 on our board but was Stanford or bust from day one. 

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Kaden Smith showed very little interest in us, he'd only be considered a miss because he's from Texas, but he hardly even entertained the idea of coming here. We recruited Gentry as a QB, and given how we never moved Swoopes to TE, I'm not confident we would have moved Gentry in time for him to have any real impact. The only one that stings is Irv Smith, imo. Bama swooped in last second and took him.

Way to be rational.  It still stings.

And losing a kid from this state to anyone OOS is always considered a miss, just because it was a foregone conclusion that we didn’t spend much time thinking about doesn’t make it feel better when you here the announcers talking about how great the player from Texas is.

Watching Stanford v ASU and keep seeing/hearing about Smith, Little and Benjamin (even though we passed on him) sucks.

7 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Irv Smith and Major Tennison were not even the same class, and I'm pretty sure Gentry decommitted well before Locksley committed. We didn't run anyone off, Locksley was the back-up plan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Way to be rational.  It still stings.

And losing a kid from this state to anyone OOS is always considered a miss, just because it was a foregone conclusion that we didn’t spend much time thinking about doesn’t make it feel better when you here the announcers talking about how great the player from Texas is.

Watching Stanford v ASU and keep seeing/hearing about Smith, Little and Benjamin (even though we passed on him) sucks.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just don't think there are any regrets when it comes to Kaden Smith, I don't even think us winning would've gotten him off Stanford, he was very locked in and committed super early iirc. Some kids just aren't going to come here. Little and Benjamin sting more to me because they involve self-inflicted wounds (especially Benjamin who we just passed on in favor of Toneil Carter). 

1 minute ago, SuckitKevin said:

If Morris is selling that shit show in Fayetteville, I still don’t get it. 

First year records for head coaches are shown not to matter that much - it's an easy sell: "How much did that loser's players suck? Come here and start for me right away in our glorious new era."

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, I hear ya. I just don't think there are any regrets when it comes to Kaden Smith, I don't even think us winning would've gotten him off Stanford, he was very locked in and committed super early iirc. Some kids just aren't going to come here. Little and Benjamin sting more to me because they involve self-inflicted wounds (especially Benjamin who we just passed on in favor of Toneil Carter). 

We passed on Benjamin for Carter + Young (not that that's really worked out 100% better). The staff wanted two backs and Benjamin was apparently extremely angsty about being a solo RB1 take.

Edited by texifornia