Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

(E.J. Holland) Quick hitters: JUCO OL on campus; UT wowing key target

— Texas is making a full court press with 2019 defensive lineman Myron Warren. We felt like Texas led heading into this visit, and it appears the Longhorns are in putting themselves in a position to close. We are still worried about LSU offering, but if Texas can get him to shut it down sooner rather than later, then that won't matter. Warren is really enjoying his time on campus and is falling in love with the program.

— There are some reports that five-star Aledo running back Jase McClellan is on campus. I'm not sure where these are coming from. McClellan wasn't scheduled to visit, and his mother told me he is not there. I also confirmed with sources on the Texas side that he is not at the game.

— JUCO offensive lineman Garrett Nickelson is on campus for an unofficial visit. He is the younger brother of former Texas offensive lineman Tristan Nickelson. Garrett holds a couple of FCS offers but is starting to command attention from Arizona and Houston. He is worth monitoring as Texas wants a junior college offensive lineman in this class.

— We didn't mention him in our preview but 2021 Houston Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Luis Chavarria is on campus for the game. He holds early offers from Vanderbilt and Syracuse and is definitely one to know. 2021 Brentwood (Calif.) quarterback Cole Lourd is also on campus for a visit. He has an early offer from FAU.

E.J. Holland: Recruits react to UT's win over Iowa State

Texas notched a key victory over Iowa State in front of several key recruits. Here is what they had to say about the win.

QB Cole Lourd, Brentwood (Calif.) (2021) — "It was surreal to soak in a game day at UT. The stadium was so live and had such a good vibe. It was easy to see why they’re improving so rapidly, and I can’t wait to come back."

RB Zachary Evans, North Shore (2020) — “It was a good game, and they executed.”

OL Garrett Nickelson, Blinn JC — "I really enjoyed the game, and I was very impressed on how explosive the offensive can be. It was a great experience."

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, FB Kempner (2020) — “It was great. I loved it. The linemen went off.”

DL T’Vondre Sweat, Huntsville — “We’re not done yet.”

We'll add more as they come in.

53 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

one victory away from big 12 game   

Yes. No matter what any individual recruit does, Herman is bringing the Horns back.  This team is playing night and day better than it was against Maryland and Tulsa.  Sam is a natural born killer.  This team is on the way UP.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Recruits react to UT's win over Iowa State

Hide contents

Texas notched a key victory over Iowa State in front of several key recruits. Here is what they had to say about the win.

QB Cole Lourd, Brentwood (Calif.) (2021) — "It was surreal to soak in a game day at UT. The stadium was so live and had such a good vibe. It was easy to see why they’re improving so rapidly, and I can’t wait to come back."

RB Zachary Evans, North Shore (2020) — “It was a good game, and they executed.”

OL Garrett Nickelson, Blinn JC — "I really enjoyed the game, and I was very impressed on how explosive the offensive can be. It was a great experience."

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, FB Kempner (2020) — “It was great. I loved it. The linemen went off.”

DL T’Vondre Sweat, Huntsville — “We’re not done yet.”

We'll add more as they come in.

Lulz Evans, just let yourself fall in love with Texas bro 

On 11/16/2018 at 8:05 AM, closetojumping said:

They like Epps as something like LJH and not as a TE.

I was wondering why they've been playing him at WR the past couple of game. This is an interesting idea on the part of the staff. I also think it could wind up being brilliant - our WRs this year definitely show the benefits of creating huge mismatches with two 6'5" receivers against 5'10" DBs. I'm very curious to see how it turns out. I'm guessing Epps doesn't have the same kind of quickness as LJH (who, at that size, does though), but I sure he brings some interesting skills to the table besides just being massive and fast.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:32 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

" ***A JUCO running back to keep an eye on is Rhamondre Stevenson (Cerritos College). The Sooners recently offered Stevenson and when I checked on him I discovered that Texas has actually been in touch with him for bit, as well."

5'11" and 235 pounds for that JUCO RB.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Rhamondre-Stevenson-81020/

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1887108/5a10eb344bb2d509fc0e3b41

Interesting looking prospect. Great balance, but did anyone else feel like the film on the first run of highlights looked like it might have been sped up a little? Still, I already think I like him better than Danny Young. Kind of reminds me or Bergeron a bit. Not sure why we're talking to him now - backup plan in case Cain falls through, maybe?

40 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Interesting looking prospect. Great balance, but did anyone else feel like the film on the first run of highlights looked like it might have been sped up a little? Still, I already think I like him better than Danny Young. Kind of reminds me or Bergeron a bit. Not sure why we're talking to him now - backup plan in case Cain falls through, maybe?

Or maybe, we are just covering our bases, looking for more talented role players, and are fucking sick of seeing the gooners bring in stud Joco players out of nowhere and kicking our asses with them.

• Like 1

Just now, Sejjr said:

Or maybe, we are just covering our bases, looking for more talented role players, and are fucking sick of seeing the gooners bring in stud Joco players out of nowhere and kicking our asses with them.

Hope you're right - we can't ever have enough bad asses. I also wonder if they see him as a kind of hybrid blocking back. No matter what, I feel like Herman and co. have definitely earned my trust for this kind of thing after our near-miraculous offensive improvement this year. So if they like the kid, I think he's phenomenal. 

I have a feeling we're landing RIngo. Beck and Herman have made in-roads to Arizona, and those kids love them. Also seeing how well our DB's are playing, and Jason Washington coach g them, with Naviar, he's in the bag. Not to mention he has Bryant Westbrook as his DB coach, and he seems very genuinely interested in Texas that he makes it a point to talk about Westbrook and DBU. 

7 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Anyone who can merely take a handoff, get tackled and keep the ball off the carpet I like better than Young. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I was wondering why they've been playing him at WR the past couple of game. This is an interesting idea on the part of the staff. I also think it could wind up being brilliant - our WRs this year definitely show the benefits of creating huge mismatches with two 6'5" receivers against 5'10" DBs. I'm very curious to see how it turns out. I'm guessing Epps doesn't have the same kind of quickness as LJH (who, at that size, does though), but I sure he brings some interesting skills to the table besides just being massive and fast.

Epps is a basketball player with soft hands. A slightly slower Malcolm Butler is likely his ceiling if he sticks at receiver.

I was perusing some of the threads in the "Trojan Huddle" of WeAreSC's site and nearly everyone wants Helton gone.

But interestingly, many people want to see what Sears can do at QB, because JT doesn't seem to have what it takes. Some also are pissed about JT's reliance on St. Brown. They would like to see him not rely on his high school buddy when the guy is double-covered. One suggested that WSU would be a better place for JT, which would be interesting...

...Bru know what I mean?

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok so he’s a big dude. With roomto fill out. 

I was listening to Nahlin podcast and he said that Hermans plan with the DL is similar to OL.  Grow them. Take good frames and RS them.  And see how they look when they're mature 21years olds and let them battle with younger weaker OL.

Of course they still want freaks but in the absence of that they'll let them wait.