Texas recruiting notes 2019

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

EJ says Washington is over his cold feet and back in the fold after the in home

I have always wondered about these guys thinking about a last minute change because they want to stay closer to home.  What is their plan if they end up being good enough to play in the NFL?  They won't be picking the city that is closest to home.

E.J. before dark

— I did some extra checking around on four-star Texas wide receiver commit Marcus Washington, and there just isn’t much there. Washington did have a little cold feet, but I’m told all of his questions were answered on Tom Herman’s in-home visit with him last week. We are still expecting Washington to sign with the Longhorns during the early period.

— Sebring (Fla.) running back DJ Williams is still deciding on where he will make his official visit this weekend. Georgia’s Kirby Smart made an in-home visit with him this week, and it looks like he's leaning towards heading to Athens on Friday. At this point, I would be surprised if he makes his way to Texas.

— Penn State became the latest school to offer fast-rising Indianapolis Ben Davis (IN) offensive lineman Dawand Jones. The three-star prospect is pushing his decision back to the late signing day, but it’s going to be a fight to get him on campus. Jones only has a couple of official visits left and recently used one on USC. UT offensive line coach Herb Hand recently saw him and will do his best to make waves after December.

— JUCO cornerback AJ Hopkins is reporting a Texas offer on social media. I’m told that is not a legitimate offer. Nothing to see there.

3 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Your post from TFB about 2 pages ago holds the answer.

My question was with respect to what EJ was reporting, but we have our answer:

— I did some extra checking around on four-star Texas wide receiver commit Marcus Washington, and there just isn’t much there. Washington did have a little cold feet, but I’m told all of his questions were answered on Tom Herman’s in-home visit with him last week. We are still expecting Washington to sign with the Longhorns during the early period.

Edited by Machinator

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Rhamondre Stevenson received a USC offer.

he goes to school about 30 min away from the USC campus, listed USC a "warm" on his interest level (despite not having an offer until now) and is a target at RB

if you don't think him getting a USC offer is relevant, you must not be paying much (any) attention

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Hey, all you new guys from the football board should try reading a few of Hank Scorpio's posts before you go responding to him. Also, you are the equivalent of Orangebloods posters on this board....or even worse, futureman. Carry on.

Half of your username checks out.

2 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Hey, all you new guys from the football board should try reading a few of Hank Scorpio's posts before you go responding to him. Also, you are the equivalent of Orangebloods posters on this board....or even worse, futureman. Carry on.

I enjoy taking it seriously though. I've been doing it on Surly and Shaggy for years. Don't know why I find it fun but sometimes I do.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not a Drayton fan?

I said this on Sept 4 while pissed as fuck but I stand by it. 

I closed the football board in the middle of the 2nd qtr, for my own health, I'm sure it's been discussed but I feel like I need to post this, for all the talk of Warehime and Meh the assistant coach that sucks the most on this staff is Stan Drayton. Fuck that guy. The next good thing he does or decision he makes will be the first at Texas and don't give me Ingram, he'd have come to Texas if Traylor had been retained or probably just about any other RB coach. 

ZERO recruiting impact. Beyond idiotic rotation. Complete lack of development or improvement at the position, in fact he appears to remove good instincts and has the RBs thinking instead of just fucking running. 

fuck. that. guy. 

recruiting related because he's not going to get Cain or Evans nor has he started moving on secondary or tertiary guys that could fill specific roles in the offense. he's fucking worse than worthless. 

(E.J. Holland) Coffee Corner: How will Texas fill remaining 2019 spots?

With the early signing period just a week away, one of the more popular questions has been: how will Texas fill the class? Well, right now, Texas has 21 verbal commitment and is looking to finish with around six more recruits. The Longhorns would like to stay at 27 but of course, there could be some variables that could change that. For now, lets stick with six as a starting point and assume Texas keeps all of its commits.

Texas has one running back commit in Buford (GA) product Derrian Brown. The Longhorns really want two backs in this class and are still after big fish like Trey Sanders and Noah Cain. Guys like DJ Williams and Rhamondre Stevenson appear to be in the next tier. Stevenson, specifically, could become very intriguing in the late period depending on how things shake out. A JUCO prospect, Stevenson is set to graduate in May.

The Longhorns already have a talented wide receiver class but would love to add another outside wide receiver. Of course, five-star recruit Bru McCoy is at the top of the board, but the Longhorns are in a heated battle with USC. Things don’t look great with Elijah Higgins, who is considered a Stanford lean, so if McCoy stays home, Texas could make Melissa’s Kennedy Lewis more of a priority if he waits until the late period. Baylor is pushing him to sign early.

Texas has two offensive line commits in Javonne Shepherd and Tyler Johnson but is looking to add two or three more at the position. With four-star tackle Isaiah Hookfin seeming very likely to join the class, the focus is on bringing in immediate help. The Longhorns are evaluating several JUCO and grad transfer options. The UT staff may also take one more defensive lineman. The Longhorns brought in IMG Academy’s (Fla.) Antoine Whitner over the weekend and are monitoring other guys that could be a fit at nose.

With Gary Johnson set to graduate, Texas is once again looking to bring in a JUCO linebacker. Fullerton College’s Caleb Johnson is by far the biggest priority, and Texas is in a great spot to land him ahead of his Monday decision date. Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon, who is being looked at as a nickel, maybe the biggest target left on the board during the late period, but the Longhorns are playing catch up as Arkansas has the edge. If Texas misses on Catalon, it could explore other nickel options, take best available or simply save the ship.

10 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
12 minutes ago, Machinator said:
Would love to hear about what makes a talent elite in your eyes.

Generally top 100 composite type player.

So you don't think Chris Adimora, Kenyatta Watson, Brayden Liebrock, Marcus Washington, or Roschon Johnson are championship-caliber players?