Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

You don't know that and probably neither does anyone else. This is a young man who is 17 and being pulled in different directions by grown ups.  Maybe he doesn't have a good support system like many kids so. Maybe his school doesn't have great resources to give him extra academic support like many schools do.  We have had kids suspended. Are they flakes?  You have had kids in college and the pros that have committed crimes.  Is this kid that bad. Why is he a drama queen. Because he hasn't picked our school yet? Some kids honestly don't know what to do. This may be the young man's first major life decision and all of this is new to him.

Why don't we give this young man a chance. Regardless of where he goes, lets see if college works. Lets see what he does when he has a support system. Lets see what happens when he has academic support and lets see what happens when he is around teammates and coaches that will give him a hug when appropriate and will kick his ass when he needs it.

Having said that, if you or anyone else actually knows the young man well, I will defer to you.

Maybe......Maybe.......Maybe????

Don't you realize that you are talking to a bunch of experts here on Surly?

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Ouch... was not the QB I wanted of those two looking at transferring 

Yeah I thought TFB was dead wrong because lately they've been running with just anything. Turns out there was actually a fire behind this smoke. Hope Casey Thompson doesn't add his name to the transfer portal too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I guess the new standard is that if you're not starting by the end of your freshman year you should transfer.

Or knows he is in a 2 QB class that best case he waits one more year for the current starter that bleeds burnt orange to leave early so he can be in a 3 man QB competition, without including the possibility of a grad transfer.

Woukd have hoped Thompson, because Rising is the better QB right now, but we all knew one of them was going to eventually transfer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

He sees two more years of not being the starter.  He’s not wrong.  When he came here Sam was not seen as an answer.  

He would have been a redshirt freshman next year. By the time he would have been an upperclassman the QB spot would have been his for the taking, especially with the rumours of Casey Thompson looking to leave.

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Fair enough. Glanced at fairly quickly and saw the Lil'Jordan at the top and assumed it was the guy with that name, not a nickname. You'll have to forgive me for assuming it was typical futureman post rather than an actual observation. My apologies to alphahorn for leading him astray.

it’s big of you to admit when you’re wrong.  

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bummer though, kid's real good.

11 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Woukd have hoped Thompson, because Rising is the better QB right now, 

Rising hasn’t seen the field in major college football and saturdays are a little different than practice.  y’all have absolutely zero idea if he is better than CT. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, futureman said:

it’s big of you to admit when you’re wrong.  

Rising hasn’t seen the field in major college football and saturdays are a little different than practice.  y’all have absolutely zero idea if he is better than CT. 

One is known for his arm and ability to read the D, the other his legs. I would prefer the thrower just for some diversity 

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Anybody know the updated B12 rules on in-conference transfers??   

I read in the past, that in-conference undergrad B12 transfers lose a year of eligibility...... that's why the special walk-on B12 Transfer Rule (Baker Mayfield) had to be created......

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Anybody know the updated B12 rules on in-conference transfers??   

I read in the past, that in-conference undergrad B12 transfers lose a year of eligibility...... that's why the special walk-on B12 Rule (Baker Mayfield) had to be passed.....

Are you suggesting that Rising could possibly transfer within conference? 

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Are you suggesting that Rising could possibly transfer within conference? 

Think it may be possible now.... Not sure though??  Think rule for staying in B12 was give up a year of eligibility..... and have to sit out a year too so usually players transfer to schools outside B12.....

Also in past Head Coach could block in-conference transfers...... but that may go away too??

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Think it may be possible now.... Not sure though??  Think rule was give up a year of eligibility..... and have to sit out a year too so usually players transfer to schools outside B12.....

I would imagine Herman would restrict transferring to schools we're scheduled to play for the next four seasons.

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

I read somewhere lately that Shane had already graduated. 

But he likes it here, his GF is here and sitting waiting on Sam to get hurt works for him. 

Good he likes the program. Bad he is standing in other talented guys way. 

I disagree. After a redshirt season, Rising could have beaten out Buechele for QB2. Rising is bigger, slightly more mobile, and was purposefully recruited by Herman for this offense.

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I would imagine Herman would restrict transferring to schools we're scheduled to play for the next four seasons.

Hope Herman can still place transfer restrictions under B12 rules..... just not sure if that B12 Transfer Rule will continue to exist or not??

Edit:  Lot's of pressure for more freedom of movement for players from school to school via transfer....

Edited by LTtxfan

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly if we keep Casey in the boat, with RoJo redshirting (and hey, maybe Shane wants to finish his degree), we're still looking pretty solid. Bummer though, kid's real good.

Yep. He looked promising as hell, but you never know. Sam and Shane ahead of him with Roschon coming up behind probably made the odds of ever starting look slimmer than he was comfortable with. Plus he'd likely have to wait two more years.

I will say that those who follow recruiting too closely are likely to get caught up in their roster projections based on high school performance. Rising was assumed to be the next thing, but we do that every class.

What will Casey and Roschon look like in two years? Who else will be in the QB room by then?

I wish he'd stayed, but I'm not going to sweat our 2021 starter at QB just yet.