Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

36 minutes ago, cafe society said:

IIRC, the Georgia baseball player sent packing in disgrace was actually yelling for Fields to be put in the game; problem was, he was using In the Heat of the Night/Lester Maddox patois to vent his feelings.

You are correct!

Please stay in the Recruiting Board, because there are too many dipshits that drop in, don't know what the fuck they are talking about, and then start spouting off like their head isn't firmly planted 2 feet up their ass...

Seriously, please stick around. 

28 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I bet you’re a guy who claims to hate stereotypes, huh? How can there ever be progress on racial tension if we all continue to make stupid ass statements like this? 

He is the same asshole that called me racist a few times on the Shag. Just ignore him. 

how’s the USC defense?  kliff may be gone in a year but he can make an offense go.  especially in a conference unfamiliar with him. 
Would you say they're familiar with a certain pirate that may have influenced Kliffy in some small way?

But SC will be doing it with a different caliber of athlete than the pirate and Kliffy are accustomed to, I'll give ya that..

25 minutes ago, ousux said:

Would you say they're familiar with a certain pirate that may have influenced Kliffy in some small way?

But SC will be doing it with a different caliber of athlete than the pirate and Kliffy are accustomed to, I'll give ya that..

kliff doesn’t run Leach’s offense but yeah there are similarities.  forgot about the pirate in pullman 

IT team notes

With Rising, and now Casey Thompson as Luigi in the portal as well, it's not yet a done deal that either or both will leave, though smart money would be on one continuing his career elsewhere. 

One rumor on Rising is Oregon. He was always fond of Ducks co-OC Marcus Arroyo. One rumor on Thompson would be to move closer to home (he isn't homesick) but for someone from Oklahoma, options are limited.

(There are a few other guys we're monitoring as potential transfers, though we won't mention their names unless we feel it's a foregone conclusion it's going to come out)

We'll see how this plays out. The timeline has been expedited a bit. Originally they were going to see how the spring went but the advent of the portal means the player has more optionality. It's not as cut and dried as you're either transferring or you're not. There's even the chance one or both could return for bowl practices.

Speaking of which, the team just wrapped up the Austin portion of bowl prep. The team is now off until the 26th to go home for Christmas.

On Saturday they had a very brief scrimmage, where they went over situational football.

I asked how practices have been going. 
"Intensity has been okay. They're hitting the crap out of each other, but there's a difference in getting ready for a bowl and a game that's a few days away. Once they hit the ground in New Orleans there will be more energy."

Last year there were no issues with intensity.
"Missouri talked a lot of s***. Hopefully Georgia does the same [laughs]."

Any interesting developments on the depth chart?
"Ossai has been running first team B-backer. McCulloch does a good job of setting the edge but Ossai is better getting pressure. DeMarvion Overshown has been back at safety."

Overshown back at safety is a surprise. It must stem from having three linebackers arriving in January.
"Probably, but Caleb is showing up with a hurt shoulder and De'Gabriel Floyd and Marcus Tillman have a long way to go. Overshown at safety is odd because Brandon Jones will be back. They have to figure out how to get Overshown on the field. Trust me when I tell you he's too good to be on the bench."

I wonder if the staff is going to eventually re-work the secondary to make Dime the pseudo-base package. Overshown is at boundary because he lacks the coverage skills for field. I've asked about the potential of Sterns at nickel and heard back "I don't think he's physical enough to wrestle with offensive linemen and his ball skills wouldn't be as valuable." 

Sterns hasn't practiced for the bowl yet due to the bone bruise he suffered versus OU, so maybe they're just getting Overshown ready should he be needed for the bowl game, but it feels like they might be up to something else. 

Chris Nelson has also been given a lot of rest which opens the door for Gerald Wilbon and Keondre Coburn. How's Coburn doing? "Fine, he's a freshman with some potential. He'll make a freshman mistake, then make a good play. Just have to get him more consistent."

D'Andre Christmas has also received more work, even at 4i. "He's proving more reliable, it's been good to see. D-line is deep."

I asked about the offensive line. Have they seen any growth with the younger guys?
"Angilau is getting better. He's pretty quick and fights."

Next year will pretty much be Cosmi at LT and Kerstetter at RT?
"I don't see anybody on the roster that will unseat Kerstetter. The young tackles seem to be a year away from being ready to play, much less take anyone's job."

• Like 6

That coked up QB throwing to that 7 foot tall WR behind a Sherman OL, that Kliff OC’d, was pretty good.

Back to 19 recruiting - we just need to get Floyd through one more game without an on- field felony murder conviction and we can get him on campus preparing him for opposing big 12 offenses. Seriously though - can’t wait to see Floyd and Whittington in an All Star game.

8 minutes ago, SLChorn said:

Not sure if posted but here are our commits and the All American games that they'll play in:

U.S. Army (January 5th)

• Jordan Whittington
  • De'Gabriel Floyd
  • Tyler Owens

Under Armour (January 3rd)

• Jake Smith
  • Kenyatta Watson
  • Brayden Liebrock
  • Marcus Washington
  • Roschon Johnson
  • David Gbenda

Technically not the Army game anymore. It's the All-American Bowl presented by American Family Insurance.

2019-AAB-2019_578x540-854bc449c1.jpg

Interesting team notes. I was thinking the other day about a dime coverage for next year that looked like this:

SDE- Ta'quon Graham

DT- Gerald Wilbon

DT- Keondre Coburn

WDE- Malcolm Roach

LB- Demarvion Overshown or B.J. Foster (for this package)

CB- Anthony Cook

NB- Josh Thompson

DB- D'Shawn Jamison

CB- Jalen Green

SS- Brandon Jones

FS- Caden Sterns

A variation could also be pulling Wilbon and having both Overshown and Foster in at linebacker at the same time.

Edited by SLChorn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SLChorn said:

Interesting team notes. I was thinking the other day about a dime coverage for next year that looked like this:

SDE- Ta'quon Graham

DT- Gerald Wilbon

DT- Keondre Coburn

WDE- Malcolm Roach

LB- Demarvion Overshown or B.J. Foster (for this package)

CB- Anthony Cook

NB- Josh Thompson

DB- D'Shawn Jamison

CB- Jalen Green

SS- Brandon Jones

FS- Caden Sterns

A variation could also be pulling Wilbon and having both Overshown and Foster in at linebacker at the same time.

If dime is six "DBs" in pass coverage, I wonder what seven would be. That variation is intriguing because Foster could fall back to into pass coverage while, Overshown could spy the QB. 

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If dime is six "DBs" in pass coverage, I wonder what seven would be. That variation is intriguing because Foster could fall back to into pass coverage while, Overshown could spy the QB. 

My thoughts exactly. Overshown and Foster open up quite a few exciting possibilities for stopping the run while also being able to provide great coverage.

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

quarters already has a D meaning

half dollar sounds meh, and fitty cent seems more XFL

dollar D? D line and the 7 dwarves?

13 hours ago, futureman said:

it doesn’t justify him weaseling out of his situation.  he went to school at georgia and knew fromm was the starter and now he’s butthurt because he couldn’t beat him out so instead of going about things the way anyone else has to he’s gonna cry about one drunk college prick using a slur one time?  please. 

Just so everyone's clear, an SI writer wrote an aticle a couple days ago about why Fields should use that slur incident as a reason to be granted the ability to play immediately elsewhere. Fields himself has not said that incident is why he's transferring, and he hasn't even commented on that incident publicly to my knowledge.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 1:03 PM, NorLa Horns said:

I read somewhere lately that Shane had already graduated. 

But he likes it here, his GF is here and sitting waiting on Sam to get hurt works for him. 

Good he likes the program. Bad he is standing in other talented guys way. 

Thought Shane was also interested in coaching. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

With Rising, and now Casey Thompson as Luigi in the portal as well, it's not yet a done deal that either or both will leave, though smart money would be on one continuing his career elsewhere. 

One rumor on Rising is Oregon. He was always fond of Ducks co-OC Marcus Arroyo. One rumor on Thompson would be to move closer to home (he isn't homesick) but for someone from Oklahoma, options are limited.

(There are a few other guys we're monitoring as potential transfers, though we won't mention their names unless we feel it's a foregone conclusion it's going to come out)

We'll see how this plays out. The timeline has been expedited a bit. Originally they were going to see how the spring went but the advent of the portal means the player has more optionality. It's not as cut and dried as you're either transferring or you're not. There's even the chance one or both could return for bowl practices.

Speaking of which, the team just wrapped up the Austin portion of bowl prep. The team is now off until the 26th to go home for Christmas.

On Saturday they had a very brief scrimmage, where they went over situational football.

I asked how practices have been going. 
"Intensity has been okay. They're hitting the crap out of each other, but there's a difference in getting ready for a bowl and a game that's a few days away. Once they hit the ground in New Orleans there will be more energy."

Last year there were no issues with intensity.
"Missouri talked a lot of s***. Hopefully Georgia does the same [laughs]."

Any interesting developments on the depth chart?
"Ossai has been running first team B-backer. McCulloch does a good job of setting the edge but Ossai is better getting pressure. DeMarvion Overshown has been back at safety."

Overshown back at safety is a surprise. It must stem from having three linebackers arriving in January.
"Probably, but Caleb is showing up with a hurt shoulder and De'Gabriel Floyd and Marcus Tillman have a long way to go. Overshown at safety is odd because Brandon Jones will be back. They have to figure out how to get Overshown on the field. Trust me when I tell you he's too good to be on the bench."

I wonder if the staff is going to eventually re-work the secondary to make Dime the pseudo-base package. Overshown is at boundary because he lacks the coverage skills for field. I've asked about the potential of Sterns at nickel and heard back "I don't think he's physical enough to wrestle with offensive linemen and his ball skills wouldn't be as valuable." 

Sterns hasn't practiced for the bowl yet due to the bone bruise he suffered versus OU, so maybe they're just getting Overshown ready should he be needed for the bowl game, but it feels like they might be up to something else. 

Chris Nelson has also been given a lot of rest which opens the door for Gerald Wilbon and Keondre Coburn. How's Coburn doing? "Fine, he's a freshman with some potential. He'll make a freshman mistake, then make a good play. Just have to get him more consistent."

D'Andre Christmas has also received more work, even at 4i. "He's proving more reliable, it's been good to see. D-line is deep."

I asked about the offensive line. Have they seen any growth with the younger guys?
"Angilau is getting better. He's pretty quick and fights."

Next year will pretty much be Cosmi at LT and Kerstetter at RT?
"I don't see anybody on the roster that will unseat Kerstetter. The young tackles seem to be a year away from being ready to play, much less take anyone's job."

Rumor is homesick.  I’m sorry wtf is going on with kids. Jesus everyone is homesick is the fear of being away from mommy that powerful.  

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Rumor is homesick.  I’m sorry wtf is going on with kids. Jesus everyone is homesick is the fear of being away from mommy that powerful.  

It's possible. Although it's worth mentioning Thompson was also seriously considering Pedo State before committing to Texas.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Im worried about this qroup. The lack of imagination is reahing agg tu levels. If we are gonna name a new defense it should obviously be the " tree fiddy"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Modessit said:
1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Or maybe they just want to get back to where they were treated like the big fish and could get all the pussy without even trying.

And you really think life for a UT football player is any different?

7 minutes ago, Nope said:

So basically with the new RS and transfer rules, every true FR who doesn’t get to play in 4 games is going to take a hard look at a transfer? Is this the new normal?

It’s basically another recruiting season...honestly, I think that benefits Texas more than others. If we have holes to fill outside South Austin’s mom, we’re pretty good at the whole recruiting thing.