Texas recruiting notes 2019

9 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Sounds like a mentally weak QB room if they are both scared off by competition and expect to be handed the backup role.
They should definitely look out for their best interest, but there will and should be competition wherever they go. If they are running from it now what are they going to gain? I'd be more concerned if they went somewhere without competition. How are you supposed to get better?

Mentally weak is the calling card of this generation. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

9 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Sounds like a mentally weak QB room if they are both scared off by competition and expect to be handed the backup role.
They should definitely look out for their best interest, but there will and should be competition wherever they go. If they are running from it now what are they going to gain? I'd be more concerned if they went somewhere without competition. How are you supposed to get better?

reminds me of when Sam got hurt and Shane went in , so Rising got the headset and clip board and didnt know what to do with it. 

I said it was concerning, that it showed a lack of buy in,  and got shit on for the opinion. 

Sam was jumping line in practicce to get more reps, thats buy in. 

not knowing what to do when you are the next guy up isnt buy in. so color me suprised Rising is looking to leave. He sounds and acts entitled , thinking the job is gonna get handed to him with little or no work on his part. 

not for the most buy in intensive job in college football. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

reminds me of when Sam got hurt and Shane went in , so Rising got the headset and clip board and didnt know what to do with it. 

I said it was concerning, that it showed a lack of buy in,  and got shit on for the opinion. 

not knowing what to do when you are the next guy up isnt buy in. so color me suprised Rising is looking to leave. He sounds and acts entitled , thinking the job is gonna get handed to him with little or no work on his part. 

I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next poster who says "buy in"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Unfortunately,  Herman has showed a habit of sticking with the more experienced man despite poor play. So any young player thinking he can play into a position has got to be a little disillusioned  

This thread has a lot of stupid takes, but this is the stupidest.

46 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

You deducted quite a lot from a two second shot on television of the sidelines. Maybe you should slow down and roll up your jump to conclusions board. 

47 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

FWIW..... Info from High School coach differs on Rising's prep work....

https://www.hookem.com/story/cameron-rising-texas-four-star-pledge-football-time/

"Cameron Rising — Texas’ other four-star pledge — is all football, all the time" 

29 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This thread has a lot of stupid takes, but this is the stupidest.

It may be misguided at the QB position but it’s not exactly wrong in all accounts. Wheeler and Hager should have benched in favor of just about anyone and I am sure that made at least of couple of players upset. 

• Like 1

The Stampede: Intel on remaining 2019 targets; scoop from state

The early period has come and gone, but there are still some major targets left on the board heading into the march to February. Here is a breakdown of where UT stands with remaining offered 2019 recruits as it has roughly six spots available.

RB Deondrick Glass, Katy — Texas offered Glass early and hosted him for junior day back in February. However, the Longhorns seemed to cool on him as they chased after elite prospects at the position. With Texas missing on its big fish during the early period, Glass is a back the Longhorns have circled back to. UT saw him during the early period and could host him for a January official visit. Right now, Oklahoma State is considered the favorite, but Texas could emerge if it pushes hard.

OL Bamidele Olaseni, Garden City C.C. — Not much is really known about Olaseni, but the May grad will start to take the recruiting process more seriously over the next month and a half. A four-star prospect, Olaseni has already used official visits on Auburn and Utah and is still mapping out his schedule for January. It is yet to be determined if Texas will be able to get him on campus.

OL Javonne Shepherd, Houston North Forest — Shepherd is the only commit this cycle that did not sign with the Longhorns during the early period. There was, however, some drama last Wednesday, and this one will continue to be a rollercoaster all the way until National Signing Day. This one feels a little bit like Jordan Elliott in the sense that he may end up at Texas at the end. But anything is possible here as Texas A&M remains a threat.

OL Dawand Jones, Indianapolis Ben Davis (IN) — Texas extended an offer to Jones during the contact period when offensive line coach Herb Hand flew out to see him. Hand and Jones are just starting to build a relationship, so it will be interesting to see if the Longhorns can get him on campus. Jones has used an official visit on USC, and Ohio State is sure to get one. Texas will battle for one of the remaining trips.

S Jalen Catalon, Mansfield Legacy — Catalon was thought to be a Texas lean early in the process, but this one has taken a drastic turn. Arkansas is considered the favorite, and head coach Chad Morris has a great personal relationship with Catalon and his family. There have been some TCU rumblings as well, and he will make an official visit there next month. Texas hosted Catalon a couple of weeks ago and made an impression, but the Longhorns are facing an uphill battle in this recruitment.

ATH Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Calif.) — As far as we know, McCoy has yet to sign his letter of intent as he prepares to make a decision on Jan. 5 at the All-American Bowl. McCoy is an early enrollee, and has already been accepted into both USC and Texas — his two remaining finalists. Texas has worked extremely hard in this recruitment and had a ton of momentum this fall. But USC has always been the favorite, and the hiring of offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury was a game changer. — EJ Holland

The Horns247 staff spent the weekend at AT&T Stadium for the Texas high school football state championships. Here is what we were able to gather on Texas targets.

—Texas remains in a good spot for 2020 Duncanville starts Ja’Quinden Jackson and Chris Thompson. Texas offered both players very early and recruited them aggressively. The Longhorns have a built-in advantage with Ra’Shaad Samples on staff. Samples is the son of Duncanville head coach Reggie Samples, and he’s an older brother figure to both players. Texas will face competition from Texas A&M, LSU and a few other schools for Thompson, but he’s got a great relationship with safeties coach Craig Naivar. Oklahoma State appears to be the only competition for Jackson at this point, but he does hold a big list of impressive offers.

—Talking about leaders with five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans at this point is a fruitless endeavor, but Texas remains in the thick of things. Texas did a great job of recruiting his brother early, and the entire staff is involved in the effort to land the generational prospect. His recruitment is likely to stretch until February of next year, and Texas will face competition from Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia and Oklahoma among others. Evans visited Texas more than any school this year and will likely have the Longhorns in his final group.

— Four-star 2021 North Shore WR Shadrach Banks holds an impressive offer list, but Texas hosted him a few times during the year. Banks is the top-ranked athlete in the nation in 2021, and the Longhorns will face competition from Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

— Four-star 2020 North Shore offensive lineman Damieon George looks like he’s headed to the SEC. He’s high on Florida, Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU and Alabama. If there’s one school that can keep him from heading to the SEC, it’s Texas. George was offered during the fall, and he visited Austin on a few occasions. George is the teammate closest to Zach Evans, and it could be a two-for-one deal for the schools fortunate enough to land them.

—Four-star 2020 Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah came up big as the defensive MVP in the state title game. Texas made a big impression on him during the season, and they hosted him on campus a few times. Oklahoma is a threat early in this recruitment, as is Arkansas because of Chad Morris’ ties to Highland Park. Oscar Giles is making him a huge priority, and there’s reason for some optimism in his recruitment.

—Aledo running back Jase McClellan is solidly committed to OU, but he does have some ties to Texas. His cousin is former Longhorn Jonathan Gray, and his mother loves the education Texas can provide. The Longhorns were an early leader for the five-star back, but they chose to wait to offer him. We have no reason to believe he plans to move away from his Oklahoma commitment, but he has discussed visiting Texas and Georgia in the spring.

— Rising 2021 wide receiver JoJo Earle arrived during the 5A-DII state championship game. The slippery slot prospect made several exciting plays and scored on a late touchdown pass. Earle said after the game that Texas is recruiting him “extremely hard," and he has a great relationship with Bryan Carrington and Ra’Shaad Samples. Earle named the Longhorns his number one school, but he wants to wait until his senior year to make a commitment. It’s early, but Texas has to like where they stand with him.

— Four-star 2020 Fort Bend Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby was an early offer for Texas, and the staff loved his upside. Hornsby liked Texas early on, and the Longhorns were up there for him with Texas A&M. Hornsby had discussions with Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck as recently as a few weeks ago, and with several on-campus quarterbacks considering a transfer, Texas might choose to up their pressure on him. We’ve heard that Hornsby is still leaning towards Texas A&M, but there is a long way to go in his recruitment.

—Longview quarterback Haynes King could also become an option if Texas decides to take two in 2020. Area recruiter Derek Warehime recently spent some time in Longview checking out the lanky passer. King is not focused on recruiting, and he will start to make visits during the spring. Arkansas is thought to be an early leader for him because of the East Texas ties to Jeff Traylor. LSU could also be a threat due to family ties to Louisiana.

—Speaking of Longview, another prospect to watch is 2020 defensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch. At 6-foot-4, 265 yards, Goram-Welch has the size and motor Texas looks for on the defensive line. He visited Austin during the season when Texas took on TCU, and he said that he would love to see an offer from Texas. Goram-Welch is an A&M legacy, but he’s wide open at this point in his recruitment. He currently holds an offer from Lousiana Tech, but his stock should rise during the fall. — Mike Roach

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm stoked to have him, and am very high on his ceiling if he puts in the work. I felt really bad for him on nsd when our own fans were tweeting some really shitty things about him after we whiffed on Cain. I'll be rooting for him to serve up the crow on a silver platter. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I'm stoked to have him, and am very high on his ceiling if he puts in the work. I felt really bad for him on nsd when our own fans were tweeting some really shitty things about him after we whiffed on Cain. I'll be rooting for him to serve up the crow on a silver platter. 

He certainly looks the part to be a durable workhorse. That said, I haven’t really followed him as much as I should have. What kind of back is he? Bullet points from those in the know would be appreciated, por favor. (Too lazy to hudl, looking for opinions). Thx.

Edited by Wishbone

You are so fucking stupid.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I bet the unfortunate reasons for the backlash was the lack of interest by local uga. Why should we be interested in a guy that uga didn't want? 

If uga could have a do over would they push for brown? The perception would have changed dramatically here. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

He certainly looks the part to be a durable workhorse. That said, I haven’t really followed him as much as I should have. What kind of back is he? Bullet points from those in the know would be appreciated, por favor. (Too lazy to hudl, looking for opinions). Thx.

One cut and go from what I've seen. Very Tre Watson like but Brown is taller so his stride looks crazy long by comparison 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I’d respond but I don’t know how to make bullet points 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Lmao at this generation being “mentally weak.” As opposed to what generation before it. Kids have opportunities now, if they don’t wanna be in Austin, let em leave

fully agree.  if you could transport kids these days back to 1939 there is little doubt they could have taken down hitler and the japs.  

• Like 2

Lmao at this generation being “mentally weak.” As opposed to what generation before it. Kids have opportunities now, if they don’t wanna be in Austin, let em leave
Let's look at it another way. Parents have some a great job providing a great environment for kids to grow up safely and pursue their opportunities.
Along the way, they forgot that adversity and competition does more to mold you than practice and repetition.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, futureman said:

fully agree.  if you could transport kids these days back to 1939 there is little doubt they could have taken down hitler and the japs.  

They're fighting wars in Afghanistan (soon to be America's longest ever!), Iraq, and (for a bit longer) Syria. Yeah, this generation can fight.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

trickett.gif&f=1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vtaenz said:

I agree with this. Did they think coming to Texas they would be handed the job without ever having taken a snap in a college game? They're either blind or coddled. I don't care if Sam had a shit season, he was a true frosh that made some mistakes, but it's not like we got blown out. It's my personal opinion that Shane move on or do the GA thing. He's not good enough to win games by himself. He's weak and fragile. Tom should, imo, let him know that the backup role is up for grabs, not handed. Put them all through the same tests against the first team D and see who handles it well enough and with confidence. I expect mistakes from younger guys, Shane is 21 and shouldn't be making those same mistakes. 

5 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Same. He's going to surprise a lot of people. Kid is a workhorse. He's a smart kid, too. Fuck Cain and Sanders. We got a great RB in Georgia's backyard. Let those other two sit for 1 year and transfer out of their programs because more talented guys are and will be aheas of them. Brown's only competition (if you can even call it that) is Ingram, and one is a great North/South runner, and the other handles his business catches passes out of the backfield, AND can run North/South. He chose wisely. 

• Like 2

IT

TARGETS HEADING TOWARDS NSD II 

On Bru McCoy... To our knowledge, the 5-star athlete from Cali didn't ink during the first signing period. That means Texas gets another two weeks to convince McCoy that Austin is the place. I've heard he's still leaning USC, but there's something to him waiting. I don't think he's convinced of SC's stability and trajectory. Texas signee De'Gabriel Floyd recently spent time with McCoy, and is recruiting the elite playmaker like it's his job. 

On Deondrick Glass... Last spring, if Texas wanted Glass, he was in. They chose to wait and hunt bigger game. And after missing on Sanders, Cain, and Stevenson, they might be regretting that decision. As of now, Glass is still open and willing to listen to the Horns sell. He'll take an official visit in January. Oklahoma State has done a great job recruiting Mr. Glass, I bumped into him on the sidelines when Texas visited Stillwater this season. This isn't the slam dunk it once was, but the staff can make up the ground if it so desires. 

On Bamidele Olaseni... The Garden City CC (KS) offensive lineman is a May graduate who could come in and push for playing time. But Texas has to get him on campus first. The four-star has seen his stock rise recently, with Auburn and Utah already getting OVs. I can the UT staff pushing harder in January. They don't have much choice, in my opinion. 

On Jalen Catalon... When the future college defensive back took his official to Austin two weeks ago, it went about as well as expected. Him and his family spent a lot of time with Tom Herman and Craig Naivar. They broke down how he'd be used and the family atmosphere that is Texas Football heading into 2019. The only problem is Arkansas and TCU still are ahead of the Horns. He's capable of competing early from the nickel role, but the depth chart and competing seem to be the holdup. That, and other schools filling his head with negativity. He'll OV to TCU in January and decide shortly after that. 

On Dawand Jones... The gigantic o-lineman from Indianapolis is a kid Herb Hand spotted late in the cycle and started following. And while there isn't a visit currently scheduled to Austin, the staff will continue to push through NSD2. USC and Ohio State are thought to hold the lead down the stretch. 

And Javonne Shepherd... Nothing new from his camp but even though Shepherd is currently committed to the Longhorns, the staff must still recruit him as if he isn’t. I’ll leave it at that. 

The Texas staff is purely focused on its Sugar Bowl bout with Georgia. After New Years Day, they’ll amp up the recruiting efforts towards finishing the Class of 2019. They’ll probably take anywhere from five or six more prospects in this cycle. And there will be new names pop up after the new year. 

Beat the Bulldogs in SEC country on the first day of 2019 and this thing could be a fun finish. 

THE RECORD BREAKER ATX BOUND

Wednesday, December 19th, 2018 was a big day for Jordan Whittington. He was able to make his commitment to the University of Texas official through his letter of intent. 

It was a big deal, but it wasn’t the biggest deal for Whittington and the rest of the Cuero community.

“Signing, that was another dream that came to reality,” Whittington said Saturday. “It was special of course, but this was the main thing I was worried about this week.”

Whatever he did to focus on Cuero’s UIL 4A Division II championship game against Texarkana Pleasant Grove worked. Whittington broke records held by greats when he rushed for 334 yards and five scores, caught three passes for 43 yards and a score, and added 11 tackles on defense in Cuero’s 40-28 victory.

Whittington and several other Gobbler seniors had been building up to this game for their entire careers. They had been close on previous occasions, but the elite athlete made sure Cuero would return home with its fourth state championship.

The performance from Whittington was dominant. Cuero lined him up in the wildcat constantly. He was asked time and time again to move the ball upfield for the Gobblers, and time and time again he was able to accomplish that feat.

“In this game here, he had the hot hand,” Cuero head coach Travis Reeve said postgame. “That’s the thing that’ been special about this team. Tonight, he was a man on a mission. He was working for us. To his credit and his team’s credit, we saw it through for a win.”

He was dominant in the first half, adding touchdown runs of 69 and 54 yards and a touchdown reception at the end of the first half from 26 yards out. 

The second half wasn’t as explosive, and Whittington’s scores are evidence of that. His second half scoring touches were from 1, 12, and 20 yards out. They were tough yards gained over the course of steady, grinding drives.

“I told the linemen if each one of you blocks somebody, you can leave one, and one-on-one we’re going to make it happen,” Whittington said. “All credit to them.”

Whittington’s final 20-yard run was the game-sealer, putting the Gobblers up 12 with about three minutes left. If his play prior to that run didn’t guarantee he would be the game’s offensive and defensive MVP, that final jaunt assuredly did. 

“We went in the game with the mentality of ‘you’re not going to beat us,’” Whittington said. “We didn’t come this far to come this far. That was our quote the whole weekend. Credit to them, I love everybody. I love every single one of them, the crowd, everything. I’m glad we got it.”