Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Thought Shane was also interested in coaching.Ā 

If I were Herman, I would make it clear that the backupĀ QB role is up for grabs. I think Thonpson or Rising would win out and relegate Shane to third, which paves the way for him to become a GA and get into coaching. He simply cant be allowed to let us lose Rising and Thompson by sitting around taking up a spot from a high ceiling guy with average QB play.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If I were Herman, I would make it clear that the backupĀ QB role is up for grabs. I think Thonpson or Rising would win out and relegate Shane to third, which paves the way for him to become a GA and get into coaching. He simply cant be allowed to let us lose Rising and Thompson by sitting around taking up a spot from a high ceiling guy with average QB play.

Unfortunately,Ā  Herman has showed a habit of sticking with the more experienced man despite poor play. So any young player thinking he can play into a position has got to be a little disillusionedĀ Ā 

18 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Unfortunately,Ā  Herman has showed a habit of sticking with the more experienced man despite poor play. So any young player thinking he can play into a position has got to be a little disillusionedĀ Ā 

Did you see how many freshman we played this year? Hell we had two Freshman All-Americans.

• Like 4

This is true. Now, I understood it this year, but going into next season it needs to be open....

....but then do you do the same thing with Roschon as with Cam and Thompson this year? Roschon seems to really love UT, so can't say I expect him to want to bail if Cam rises nopun, but I dunno. Thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know some folks still wished that Shepherd had signed LOI with Texas last week.....Ā  Has Shepherd been accepted at Texas yet??

Interesting note I just saw on a Team's 25 Roster count for a recruiting class:

"Whatā€™s important to remember is that anyone who signs a National Letter of Intent is considered an initial counter (first-year student-athletes receiving financial aid for the first time), of which the NCAA allows a school to have no more than 25 per year. Where that impacts a school is if a player signs and doesnā€™t qualify or for any reason doesnā€™t enroll in school, he still counts against the number (the Longhorns wouldā€™ve run into that situation hadĀ Junior AngilauĀ not put off his two-year mission)."

So if a player signs LOI and doesn't qualify, he still counts against the School's 25 Class number for his recruiting class.....

CRAZY....

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Know some folks still wished that Shepherd had signed LOI with Texas last week.....Ā  Has Shepherd been accepted at Texas yet??

Interesting note I just saw on a Team's 25 Roster count for a recruiting class:

"Whatā€™s important to remember is that anyone who signs a National Letter of Intent is considered an initial counter (first-year student-athletes receiving financial aid for the first time), of which the NCAA allows a school to have no more than 25 per year. Where that impacts a school is if a player signs and doesnā€™t qualify or for any reason doesnā€™t enroll in school, he still counts against the number (the Longhorns wouldā€™ve run into that situation hadĀ Junior AngilauĀ not put off his two-year mission)."

So if a player signs LOI and doesn't qualify, he still counts against the School's 25 Class number for his recruiting class.....

CRAZY....

what was the source? Ā your twisted brain?

12 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I bet youā€™re a guy who claims to hate stereotypes, huh? How can there ever be progress on racial tension if we all continue to make stupid ass statements like this?Ā 

sensitive ass it was a joke. i cant believe how many of you got butthurt from that post. sad!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thatā€™s not true. SEC used to sign more than 25Ā all the time, until a couple of years ago when the conference capped it at 25 LOIs per year.Ā 

Pato.... Maybe consider reading a little more about Recruiting......

1 hour ago, futureman said:

what was the source? Ā your twisted brain?

fm..... Username not a fit.....

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Early-Signing-Period-2018-scholarship-numbers-Tom-Herman-126540492/#126540492_1

Edited by LTtxfan

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

That might be the reason. Help him keep his head on straight.

overshown update

I mentioned it earlier bc itā€™s something that he was thinking but it sounds like the coaches are doing everything possible to find him a spot in the starting lineup.

Ā 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

good for you for providing a link, but sadly only after being called out for plagiarism. Ā 

and patoā€™s not wrong. Ā schools sign more than 25 all the time.Ā 

Ok I googled. Apparently starting in 2018 the rules were changed so that non qualifiers or otherwise not enrolled LOIĀ signees do count as part of the allowed 25. Ā Ā 

Most of the discussion of this that I found is taking place on recruiting message boards like the link provided by ltx Ā and those are hardly what Iā€™d consider reliable.Ā 

It did say hey you can assign initial counters to a future class in some instances, so I wonder if Howe is wrong about angilau in that his count could be moved to the 2020 year if he went on his mission.Ā 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

25 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Let me add some insight on a few things...and I apologize for the length of the reply, too many words, etc.

Fields - his sister will attend Georgia to play softball and that family has been all Georgia FOREVER.Ā  His transfer is strictly playing time related and the racism cry is just an excuse.

Rising and Thompson (and possibly Overshown)Ā - welcome to a new generation of athlete and kid.Ā  This portal stuff will be the worst thing to happen to college athletics in a long time.Ā  Some will call it entitled, and to a degree it is, but this generation of kids is used to instant gratification, in all facets of life.Ā  Patience is a word that does not exist in this generations vocabulary.

The Portal - I have pretty intimate knowledge with it and how it works.Ā  I can tell you that currently, in one small female NCAA D1 sport, there are 160ish players on the portal, today.Ā  That is for a non-revenue, no life after college, female sport.Ā  I can't imagine what Football, Basketball and Baseball look like.Ā  Here are some facts on how the portal works:

• A student-athlete does NOT have to inform their coach of an intent to transfer.Ā  They can walk into the compliance office and request to be put on the portal.Ā  Once that request is made, the compliance office has 48 hours to put the student-athletes name on the portal.
  • Once the student-athlete requests to be put into the portal, all contact from any sport coach to that athlete is cut-off.Ā  So in this case, no football coach can contact Rising or Thompson directly.Ā  That athlete can contact coaches, that is ok, and a coach can request a meeting with the student-athlete but it has to be done through the compliance office and a compliance office official must be present during the meeting.Ā  This is assuming the player went in without telling the coach.Ā  If the coach was notified prior, the student-athlete can waive the no contact rule.
  • Once on the portal, a student-athlete can be contacted by any coach in the country...it's free reign.Ā  And every coach has access to the portal.
  • Yes, a student-athlete can start taking visits, including official ones, if they have any remaining from their original recruitment.Ā  Remember, you only get 5 paid official visits.
  • Student-athletes on the portal are not required to sit out a year automatically.Ā  The conference transfer rules will be applied to the student-athlete...coaches may NOT individualized transfer rules to be applied to individual student-athletes.
  • Once a student-athlete enters the portal, their future financial aid cutoff.Ā  So, if you do it before the beginning of the spring semester, you will not be on scholarship in the spring.Ā  So essentially Rising and Thompson have forfeited their scholarships for the spring.Ā  Also, your access to athletic facilities, trainers, etc. is immediately terminated.Ā  The coach from the sport can ask for that sanction to be waived - so if Rising and Thompson went to Herman and gave him a heads up, and he's ok with it, he can tell compliance that he would still like for them to have access to athletic facilities and such.Ā  This is how they can be currently practicing with the team while on the portal.
  • Athletes on the portal do not fall under the same recruiting guidelines as first time recruits when it comes to contact period, dead period, quiet period, signing period, etc.Ā  They can be contacted any time after their name shows up on the portal.
  • Football is the only sport that has a set game number to determine a redshirt.Ā  All other sports operate as any participation constitutes using a year of eligibility.Ā  If you're going to redshirt in non-Football sports it has to be declared before the season begins.Ā  The shirt can be pulled at any time, but one can not be applied after the start of the season.

Ā 

Hope this helps give a little bit of clarity on how this thing works.Ā  I have no idea how this thing came about, but it really is an awful thing to have right now.Ā  I know that several sports have already proposed legislation to change the portal drastically, or to get rid of it all together.Ā  But those things only happen every two years, so this will be the model for at least two years.

Holy shit. This is a long post

Sounds like a mentally weak QB room if they are both scared off by competition and expect to be handed the backup role.
They should definitely look out for their best interest, but there will and should be competition wherever they go. If they are running from it now what are they going to gain? I'd be more concerned if they went somewhere without competition. How are you supposed to get better?
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok I googled. Apparently starting in 2018 the rules were changed so that non qualifiers or otherwise not enrolled LOIĀ signees do count as part of the allowed 25. Ā Ā 

Most of the discussion of this that I found is taking place on recruiting message boards like the link provided by ltx Ā and those are hardly what Iā€™d consider reliable.Ā 

It did say hey you can assign initial counters to a future class in some instances, so I wonder if Howe is wrong about angilau in that his count could be moved to the 2020 year if he went on his mission.Ā 

I believe that this was covered on The Shag about 8 to 12 months ago.Ā 

If not, it's been covered here every once in a while over the first 700+ pages of this thread.

@FUTURE - I'm fairly certain that you're kidding.

Thanks you texashorn13 for the intricacies of "the portal".

Since the spring semester doesn't start until ~January 22nd, Rising & Thompson have a month to look around and listen to offers if they are going to return to UT without having to pay shit. They simply withdraw their name from the portal before January 22nd and everything's kosher. If they decide to transfer, the the other school picks up the tab immediately. It is only if they leave their name in the portal after January 22nd that they'd have to pay something out of pocket.