Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

26 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Oddly, there are people in charge of the university that see Texas as an institution of higher learning that also has a football team instead of a football team running a university. 

Spare me the high road nonsense. The NCAA has defacto condoned payments to player’s families, their relatives and their trainers. We are like the car in the right lane going the exact speed limit while everyone else is going with the flow of traffic. We claim everyone else is dirty for payments but if it has become legalized, is it dirty? 

If the police office not only waves you by but gives you a trophy if you go 75 in a 65 are you even breaking the law anymore? 

After it became public that Auburn paid 6 figures for Cam Newton and the NCAA acknowledged it, all bets should have been off. It’s legal to pay players families now. If we are not giving money to FWK and we lose Shepherd it’s only our fault. Not anyone else’s. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Oddly, there are people in charge of the university that see Texas as an institution of higher learning that also has a football team instead of a football team running a university. 

that's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't answer his question. If steering clear of the biggest bidding wars necessary to land game-changing recruits is worth feeling that sense of moral superiority, I guess it's a fair trade-off.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

that's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't answer his question. If steering clear of the biggest bidding wars necessary to land game-changing recruits is worth feeling that sense of moral superiority, I guess it's a fair trade-off.

I mean, yea, it probably is to a lot of people. Because it’s just football.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yet we pay our head coach 5M a year and have the the biggest most bloated athletic department in the country. The “it’s just football” argument does not apply at Texas. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sure but you can justify anything with that line, is my point. It's simplistic and doesn't address the issue.

"Why tarnish our name by arranging a delivery of $500 to a visiting blue-chip recruit? it's just football."

"Why buy a recruit from an impoverished background a $50 TV so he can watch the Big 12 title game with his family? it's just football."

"Why pay any kid anything at all that isn't above-board? It doesn't matter, it's just football."

Clearly there's a spectrum. So when did we decide on the hypothetical line we're not willing to cross while other programs are, and how is that line justified by saying 'it's just football?'

Edited by satyanash

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

And said revenue will stay the same regardless of cheating status. Not saying we shouldn’t, just saying I see where it isn’t a priority.

Im not sure you can just claim that. If we landed recruiting classes like Alabama and won more titles, I would be willing to bet our sports revenue would go up. 

Edited by Newy25

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sure but you can justify anything with that line, is my point. It's simplistic and doesn't address the issue.

I guess I just don’t see an issue that needs addressing. We are bringing in top 10 classes, continually in the top 3 in revenue, coming off our best season since I was a teenager, and likely a preseason top 10 team next year depending on this bowl. If we can continue an upward trend while (allegedly) staying above board and not risking any blowback of any kind on the university I can see where the higher ups are ok with that. That said if we paid Waddle 500k to transfer tomorrow I’d be cool with that too.

28 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I think simplism starts with the facile cynicism that college football is just another business thus pragmatism should outweigh delusions of integrity. I think the whole thing is founded in the obsession in the fan base about winning a national championship that seems to be like a heroin addiction.

I don't want Texas sucking dicks beside a dumpster to attain that wonderful high. 

The response may be that we're already cutting a few corners in the gray areas. My answer remains the same.

I don't want Texas sucking dicks beside a dumpster to attain that wonderful high.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, hornyhorn said:

wasnt chance mock paid?

A lot of players have been paid. A lot more would have been paid considerably more if we had a systematic payment system like schools in the southeast have. 

When Texas players get to the NFL and talk to teammates, they're shocked by how much money they missed on getting in college compared to top SEC/SE-ACC schools. 

Edited by Fud

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

SIAP but Herb Hand started following Desmond Bland (Nebraska JUCO commit): 

https://247sports.com/Player/Desmond-Bland-68822/

Also, started following a '19 recruit Ira Henry. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Ira-Henry-46037653/

If we could land somebody like Bland and Justin Murphy I would feel a lot better about the interior OL next year. 

Bland is athletic as hell for an interior lineman. His senior year Hudl is pretty salty. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2734238/5721dac1c124573b5483a9ac

There are shades of grey. The problem with running these programs is it’s all a case by case basis. And sometimes the details change abruptly in the middle of the recruitment. If you come across a sophisticated recruit with parents that are stable, arrangements can safely be made when there is an “ask” which is basically the price.

These people are not the norm in these scenarios. We historically won’t deal with people we believe are taking advantage of these kids. SOME schools basically sponsor those people. Paying kids is not scummy. Paying street agents or family members that are bad actors is very scummy. 

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

We  pay a coach 25 million dollars and are about to spend 200 millions on glorified club house for football but we draw the line at throwing a couple grand at some kids?

You do know some of these handlers get $10K for bringing a kid in on a visit? Keep in mind Cam Newton was $160K.

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We live in interesting times when the people saying, “Sure but you can justify anything with that line” are the ones advocating FOR breaking the rules, and not the ones against cheating.  

Point is we're likely already technically breaking some rules. In for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.

Edited by satyanash

Btw, the recruiting game has changed quite a bit in state. It’s cleaner but more sophisticated. Herman, Jimbo, and Riley all know how to play it very well. Jimbo has been extremely efficient at setting up his infrastructure in state. The ags are more organized than us. Used to be all about the hs coaches. All I’ll say is 7 on 7 is very popular in Texas these days.

10 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Btw, the recruiting game has changed quite a bit in state. It’s cleaner but more sophisticated. Herman, Jimbo, and Riley all know how to play it very well. Jimbo has been extremely efficient at setting up his infrastructure in state. The ags are more organized than us. Used to be all about the hs coaches. All I’ll say is 7 on 7 is very popular in Texas these days.

Adidas and boosters looking to sponsor 7v7 has a lot to do with it, jimbo did not set those steps up. He has taken that set up to a new level.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It doesn't matter whether we think should pay or not.

What matters is that the powers that be don't want to (not to the extent that the other schools are, anyway). So unless we see a change at the top, this is the way it's going to be.

Then we need to accept that we are going to lose a lot of recruiting battles and need to avoid wasting resources on those types of recruitments.

Edited by Not a Sock

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Adidas and boosters looking to sponsor 7v7 has a lot to do with it, jimbo did not set those steps up. He has taken that set up to a new level.

Like I said, the ags are more organized than us right now. Not saying we aren’t competitive. Just saying they’re currently set up to benefit from this model more than we are in state and that’s going to be frustrating. We need massive help in D/FW.

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Like I said, the ags are more organized than us right now. Not saying we aren’t competitive. Just saying they’re currently set up to benefit from this model more than we are in state and that’s going to be frustrating. We need massive help in D/FW.

They’re cheating pretty heavily. They’re currently attempting to outbid LSU and Alabama for Devonta Lee.

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

They’re cheating pretty heavily. They’re currently attempting to outbid LSU and Alabama for Devonta Lee.

Depending on that actual situation they’re doing exactly what they should be doing. As long as its straight up pay for play and the money is going to the kid or his family then I don’t have a problem with it. Obv they don’t care if that’s the case or not but neither do LSU and bama.

Just now, Caddox said:

Depending on that actual situation they’re doing exactly what they should be doing. As long as its straight up pay for play and the money is going to the kid or his family then I don’t have a problem with it. Obv they don’t care if that’s the case or not but neither do LSU and bama.

giphy.gif

I always enjoy when someone tries to link dudes paying athletes to some kind of altruism. I don’t see them paying needy kids/families that suck at sports. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

giphy.gif

I always enjoy when someone tries to link dudes paying athletes to some kind of altruism. I don’t see them paying needy kids/families that suck at sports. 

Who is talking about altruism? I’m talking about paying kids for their football abilities and preferring that the actual kid or their family gets the money and not some creepball like Willie Lyles.

10 minutes ago, Caddox said:

No. They're doing exactly what they have always done when their program has had any type of success. After they are busted, they will go away for 10+ years before they engineer another scheme with foundational cracks. Were you around during aggies fedex days? Hell, 2012 was amateur hour and they got away with it.

Now they have a master of fraud in Johnny Sharp leading the mob. Playing with relief money, making sure all contracts go to friends of the program who will re-invest. Jimbo can run wild for a few years but we've all seen this movie.

Edited by Goodman

Just now, Goodman said:

No. They're doing exactly what they have always done when their program has had any type of success. After they are busted, they will go away for 10+ years before they engineer another scheme with foundational cracks. Were you around during aggies fedex days? Hell, 2012 was amateur hour and they got away with it.

Now they have a master of fraud in Johnny Sharp leading the mob. Playing with relief money, making sure all contracts go to friends of the program who will re-invest. Jimbo can run wild for a few years but we've all seen this movie.

Anybody who thinks the NCCA is going to do shit is going to sorely disappointed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Anybody who thinks the NCCA is going to do shit is going to sorely disappointed.

Yep. Jimbo knows how to play the game. As long as you have someone like him to keep the retards in line it’s very hard to fuck up. The NCAA just gives a ton of leeway now. The SEC is a protected brand. We could absolutely get away with what we want around here. We are a protected brand as well. It just takes the right guy. I trust Herman to know how far to take it. Not sure he has the same booster support but that will come with time as long as we are convinced this is worth a long term investment and some reasonable exposure.

13 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Yep. Jimbo knows how to play the game. As long as you have someone like him to keep the retards in line it’s very hard to fuck up. The NCAA just gives a ton of leeway now. The SEC is a protected brand. We could absolutely get away with what we want around here. We are a protected brand as well. It just takes the right guy. I trust Herman to know how far to take it. Not sure he has the same booster support but that will come with time as long as we are convinced this is worth a long term investment and some reasonable exposure.

I really doubt we get into paying kids anytime soon.

Unfortunately it’s going to take a slap to the face of some sort. If aggy ever has success I’m certain that will be enough. Rich people don’t like to be needled by their peers.