Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure how Whittington isn’t a 5 star. Scary thing is he might be better on defense. 

I too came into today thinking Whittington's ceiling was at DB. But now? Keep him as far away from the defensive backfield as possible. He reminds me of the blOU WR who would kill us all the time on tunnel screens, Manuel Johnson or something like that.

Edited by satyanash

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Here's the story on the Hookfin recruitment from someone with sources on the Baylor side.

Hide contents

They were pissed off about the negative recruiting BUT what they failed to mention is that IH’s family (not sure if a parent or who) was provided with screenshots of old Zach Smith tweets. They also used the JP and Pat Hudson flips as “evidence” of where he might go to sit on the bench for four years. 

They used a chronically injured player and one who isn't a good football player as evidence Hookfin will sit on the bench?

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I too came into today thinking Whittington's ceiling was at DB. But now? Keep him as far away from the defensive backfield as possible. He reminds me of the blOU WR who would kill us all the time on tunnel screens, Manuel Johnson or something like that.

you're thinking of ryan broyles.  no manuel johnson, no mark clayton, no marquise brown, no sterling shepard, no dede westbrook, no jalen saunders, no juaquin iglesias, no malcolm kelly, no mark bradley.

fuck me.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Here's the story on the Hookfin recruitment from someone with sources on the Baylor side.

Hide contents

Here’s the Hookfin story from the way it’s been told to me. Keep in mind this comes from the Baylor side so some of the “facts” may be skewed a bit in their favor. 

Originally, (I don’t have a specific time frame but I’m sure you can dig back into the IT vault and get a good idea based on Justin and Eric’s notes) Hookfin gave Texas a silent commitment which stuck for a bit. 

Baylor had been recruiting IH for a while longer than Texas but Texas is Texas so IH gave the silent to Texas. Baylor’s big pitch to recruits when Texas comes at them late in process is that they’re all backup plans and will all sit for 2-3 years at least. They promised IH he would get on the field for at least four games next season. Texas gave him plans to redshirt and put weight on. 

A handful of weeks ago, Baylor’s staff was able to convince IH to go ahead and take an OV to Waco for a weekend. 

During the weekend (the week before his OV to Texas) they showed IH Texas’ highly ranked commits at tackle and told him of Texas’ plans to find JUCO or grad-transfer help in the short term until these two tackles are ready to go. They basically told him he’d never find meaningful playing time in Austin. Keep in mind they’re telling him all of this while having a tackle commit and also recruiting and eventually signing on NSD a Juco All American tackle. 

During the OV to Baylor, they flipped his silent in favor of Baylor. 

IH went on to Texas for his OV, had a good time but didn’t mention he had flipped to Baylor to the Texas staff. These were Baylor’s instructions to him to keep him from getting the pressure. 

Fast forward to signing day, Texas had heard the rumors of his interest in Baylor but had not been indicated anything from IH and his family, this from what I’ve been told. It doesn’t really all add up to me.

IH had his Baylor LOI ready to sign and tipped off all the Baylor reporters of when he was going to sign but asked them not to disclose the signing as he wanted it to be a surprise. This dip**** from Baylor’s rivals site decides he wants to break the news and tweets that IH will sign with Baylor at whatever time. IH sees the tweet, gets royally pissed off at the reporter and delayed his signing until later that afternoon. 

In the meantime, Texas calls him and his folks at the perfect time when tempers were flared and informs them that Shepherd isn’t planning to sign with Texas during this period and may be looking at other options. They also inform the family that Baylor may be looking at significant NCAA sanctions (some of the Baylor folks are saying that he was told of the death penalty... I heard Bowl bans) and that Rhule is bolting to the Big 10 as soon as he gets his first decent opportunity. I’m sure there were much more to these conversations but these are the bullet points I was given. With this information in hand, IH completely calls off his signing to re-evaluate things. 

He had further talks with both Baylor and Texas, while also getting a call from Alabama sometime during the day to gauge interest. That didn’t get too far. He kicked around the idea for a bit of holding off to NSD2 but didn’t. 

Last night, you saw the Baylor staff go crazy on twitter making noise after he informed them he was signing with Texas. They were pissed off about the negative recruiting BUT what they failed to mention is that IH’s family (not sure if a parent or who) was provided with screenshots of old Zach Smith tweets. They also used the JP and Pat Hudson flips as “evidence” of where he might go to sit on the bench for four years. 

Anyways, yesterday he decided to sign with Texas and make it official.

Sorry, but if Baylor is using Pat Hudson as evidence of sitting the bench then that is as big of a lie as anything else. He was injured all last year but had fought his way into the 2 deep and almost fucking died this year of a heat stroke and has been in recovery ever since. Stay classy Baylor. Urquidez was just a bad take and bad eval by Charlie.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

A lot of us have been pretty consistent in saying that you cannot even count Shepherd as a commit because of the high likelihood that he either a) will not qualify b) decommit or c) flame out even if he does qualify. 

Linemen are the hardest to project because they need someone to dedicate themselves to their craft for 2-3 years sometimes before they can really contribute and that requires humility, discipline and determination and those traits tend to be absent in guys like Shepherd. His need for constant gratification and attention are directly at odds with what is required mentally for him to develop into a tackle. 

it’s really comical how little you know about this stuff. 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve made 2 posts on the same subject in the last week.  I don’t post in recruiting much, so I guess technically that is correct. 

I don’t think they are stellar. I think they are good enough that if Bama trips they could make some noise, if everything fell in place.  And I think the bag hag and Jimbo are dirty af.  I’ve also met personally 2 men in the last 6 months (1 with good $$, 1 with fuck you $$$) that both claim they’ve put out $$ to kids. These guys are tired of not winning. We all remember Cam Newton?  So yeah, it’s bullshit seeing shit like FWK and Shepard. The NCAA isn’t going to do shit to any program larger than Baylor, or even them really.  That ship has sailed  

Unfortunately, they are going to have to beat Bama 2-3 times in rapid succession for them to get a shot over the bow from their conference mates.  I think it’s more likely LSU drops them in the grease eventually, but who knows  

I know roller coaster blah blah but seriously thru scheduling their floor is about 5-6 wins no matter how hard this board hopes for 2-3. Then it’s up to a flake AUB, State, Miss group to determine what kind of year it is. 

I was on the scat site under the same handle since ‘12 or so, lurking since ‘08 when Llano Estacado, offshoreag, and UTMike and I all shared a bullpen office.  I am not an aggy fan. 

Ill go back to my hole in the hobbies forums but seriously, is there no concern of what *could* happen with 3-5 years of stacked classes due to, whatever means. 

I think you’re right about other SEC teams looking the other way on bagmen.  The problem a&m is going to have is when they recruit against former Big XII teams.  If Patterson, Riley, Herman, etc ever gather enough evidence to turn it over to the NCAA, I don’t think they’ll hesitate.  This is probably something a&m hasn’t thought of.  I can see them walking right into this.  Let’s not forget Chip Kelly and Willie Lyles.

10 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

I think you’re right about other SEC teams looking the other way on bagmen.  The problem a&m is going to have is when they recruit against former Big XII teams.  If Patterson, Riley, Herman, etc ever gather enough evidence to turn it over to the NCAA, I don’t think they’ll hesitate.  This is probably something a&m hasn’t thought of.  I can see them walking right into this.  Let’s not forget Chip Kelly and Willie Lyles.

Isn't  Sabans buddy/ ex boss running the NCAA now?  They seem to ignore a whole lot of smoke that comes out about the SEC in regards to dirty recruiting; unless, it is one of the nobodies in the SEC like Ole Miss.  Would they consider A&M a nobody or turn a blind eye?

Edited by Ramdiesel

5 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

I hope so, fuck them  

What gave me even more pause is thinking at some point, I could see SEC “helping” them should Saban step on his dick (some recruit self reports etc) and LSU just doesn’t have it that year. It’s all about the $$$ and the at the end of the day, half of Texas wears maroon glasses and would flood them with as much as they want. Evidenced by LSU being a potential fly in the ointment before the aggy game, and well there wasn’t any way they were walking out with a W that night.   WWE over there.  Gotta keep up that SEC brand in Texas  Bama never needs it, but the ball still bounces their way 9.5/10 times   

and Jimbo v Saban story lines for herbstreit can jizz his pants on every broadcast for weeks leading up etc. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Maybe somebody in the know can answer but I’m curious if it’s a big deal when future Longhorns break Eric Dickerson‘s records? 

Based on what I’ve seen posted from TexAgs, nah, it’s no big deal. The guy sucks. 

3 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

The lack of self awareness knows no bounds.

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

The (lack of) self-awareness (LOSA) seems to be an ongoing theme with aggy and other schools as well.  If they could give a trophy for LOSA, I'm pretty sure aggy would have it in their hall of champions.

funny!

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There is some dumb shit said over there, but that had to be satirical?

Let me direct you to aggypedia. No, it most definitely did not have to be satirical. Unless the entire existence of Texas A&M is some sort of twisted performance art piece, which I suppose is possible.

• Like 1

Okay... Just watched these highlights of Whittington.  That kid is ridiculously good.  Don't forget, he was a 5 star when the year started and dropped down for no reason because of his injury.  Same with Marcus Washington.  That guy had OSU, BAMA, Texas fighting for him hard.  And then there is Jake fucking Smith.  

If you watch the highlights of these guys, it's been a while since we had WRs that could be this elusive in the slot and in space.   This class paired with last years (Eagles, Moore, Woodard) is going to be solid competition. 

• Like 2