If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

I always remember Gordo making plugola for payola jokes about Greggo so I'd imagine that 500K involved a lot of under the table money. I'm sure it was salary+live appearances+live spots/endorsements. I'm not sure how the final part works but it's possible back when the HL brought in monster ratings that they were getting ridiculous amounts back in the heyday of the industry. 

Edited by mdmost

6 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Dan was so good at negotiating he took $100,000 less 

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

100K less than what?

If that is at all true then he definitely would have been pissed when they got split apart and Bob bolted to the Hardline for more pay and he got left behind. 

That's one zen mother fucker if he wasn't pissed. And we all know that mother fucker ain't zen. 

I hope this works out for them. The person I really worry about more though is Jake. Dan will be fine as he's done it long enough. That video didn't strike me as Jake being a  guy who was really sure of this move. Maybe he is but he's just given up a 15 year journey for the great unknown. It's a hell of a risk. So I guess a podcast in the interim and see how they feel about the Freak in 6 months? 

I just hate that a great era of the Ticket is finally over and what this might bring about going forward. I guess I'll have 10-3 freed up to listen to music now depending on what the replacement is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well that sucks.  Wonder if part of the "no hard feelings" talk is hoping for a light touch around the non-compete with Cumulus (i.e, if we continue to say good things and promote the Ticket on the podcast (i.e., not competing with the Ticket), maybe they don't enforce if it's a grey area in the non-compete language).

Agreed this seems like a much bigger risk for Jake.  Hope it works out for them.   Regardless, I still think a short-sighted move by Cumulus, particularly in light of Norm's retirement (so cost savings combined with needing to fill a slot).  Cumulus basically just decided to say fuck it outside of Musers/Hardline.  Which effectively means The Ticket is done once these guys retire.  I'll definitely listen less.

31 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well that sucks.  Wonder if part of the "no hard feelings" talk is hoping for a light touch around the non-compete with Cumulus (i.e, if we continue to say good things and promote the Ticket on the podcast (i.e., not competing with the Ticket), maybe they don't enforce if it's a grey area in the non-compete language).

Agreed this seems like a much bigger risk for Jake.  Hope it works out for them.   Regardless, I still think a short-sighted move by Cumulus, particularly in light of Norm's retirement (so cost savings combined with needing to fill a slot).  Cumulus basically just decided to say fuck it outside of Musers/Hardline.  Which effectively means The Ticket is done once these guys retire.  I'll definitely listen less.

Cumulus appears to be cost cutting on talent like ESPN did. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time hosts are squeezed and low-balled when their contracts are up. Could be the beginning of the end

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's some fucked up bullshit laws that allow a company to keep you from working for a competitor when your contract is over. Fucking Texas. 

I’m not a law expert but wouldn’t the non-compete only apply if your contract has not expired?  like if you resigned or quit?  how could they have any control over you if you were not under contract?

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I’m not a law expert but wouldn’t the non-compete only apply if your contract has not expired?  like if you resigned or quit?  how could they have any control over you if you were not under contract?

None of us know how their non-compete reads but it almost certainly extends beyond their employment.   There is a reason why both Sirois and Danny didn't pop up at The Freak until around 6 months after they were done at The Ticket.

I’m gonna take a contrarian stance here.  They’re supposed to do the show for the P1, obviously.  But their egos are bruised so they are taking something away from a big chunk of the metroplex that loves and supports the ticket and the hang zone.  They’re making it about themselves when it’s always been about us, the P1s.

now, firebomb me. 

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

None of us know how their non-compete reads but it almost certainly extends beyond their employment.   There is a reason why both Sirois and Danny didn't pop up at The Freak until around 6 months after they were done at The Ticket.

Sirois and Danny both quit did they not?

Edited by futureman

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Cumulus appears to be cost cutting on talent like ESPN did. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time hosts are squeezed and low-balled when their contracts are up. Could be the beginning of the end

Yeah, to the extent Dan and Jake have any success, you wonder if other hosts might consider exiting Cumulus employment and either doing their own thing or linking back up.  I'll be surprised if this remotely resembles the "rally the troops" approach to The Freak.  

Just now, Skipper said:

As Sirois and Danny weren't hosts did they have contracts? Or were they at-will employees?

It's ridiculous if it's legal in this state for a non compete to last past the final date of the contract. You would think with these negotiations going on for months that if they could they would have had a move lined up for right at the beginning of July. Especially with 2 other local stations that would kill to get the ratings this show got. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I’m gonna take a contrarian stance here.  They’re supposed to do the show for the P1, obviously.  But their egos are bruised so they are taking something away from a big chunk of the metroplex that loves and supports the ticket and the hang zone.  They’re making it about themselves when it’s always been about us, the P1s.

That sounds like a "fan" of the team expecting a hometown discount.  It's business.  Not to mention it sounds like Dan has already turned down higher offers before and sounds like they have basically fucked Jake over comp wise ever since he was promoted.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, to the extent Dan and Jake have any success, you wonder if other hosts might consider exiting Cumulus employment and either doing their own thing or linking back up.  I'll be surprised if this remotely resembles the "rally the troops" approach to The Freak.  

It was a bad sign when the company refused to take care of the non hosts at the start of the pandemic and left it to the talent to put up money to help those folks survive their wage cuts. That was a terrible look, and when you add it to the stuff Sirois said on his way out and now this it's apparent they aren't wanting to pay anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

It's ridiculous if it's legal in this state for a non compete to last past the final date of the contract. 

I don't keep up with it as not my practice area but it's pretty settled law.  Although I know the FTC proposed a rule earlier this year that would kill it but haven't followed where that went.  The concept is obviously extremely pro-employer/anti-worker. 

Just now, Skipper said:

That sounds like a "fan" of the team expecting a hometown discount.  It's business.  Not to mention it sounds like Dan has already turned down higher offers before and sounds like they have basically fucked Jake over comp wise ever since he was promoted.

yeah you’re still talking about dan and jake.  this situation is about the P1s and what is being taken from us.  jake wasn’t getting millions but he was compensated.  the end of all this is just no more hang zone for thousands of people every day.  those guys are selfish as fuck. 

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

Ben and Skin both tweeted about the video.

They are going to be on the Freak.

I'm not sure Ben and Skin should be thrilled with that since it would be their show that gets removed. It's a lot easier to put Dan and Jake at their old time and make them a lead in to Rhyner. Sure, they could do mornings but they're not beating the Musers, no matter how much Reddit says they'll move over to the Freak if that happens.