If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

12 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

What are the ticket's options at this point to fill those five hours? That's a horrible position for them to be facing with the people currently on staff. It's just Donovan and then guys that host weekend shows. Brutal. 

10 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I would put money on them just letting Donovan have 10-3 permanently. 

Five hours of Donovan and anyone would be a complete asswhip.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

What are the ticket's options at this point to fill those five hours? That's a horrible position for them to be facing with the people currently on staff. It's just Donovan and then guys that host weekend shows. Brutal. 

Monty and DJ are seriously not bad. I’d pair them with Donny for 4 hours and have an hour of a rotating local celebrity like Doocy / Trahan / Aikman / Hansen / Norm in a designated day. This may be my Jump to Conclusions Mat idea and if so it was provided by Texzilla. 

2 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Kind of like your fake ratings reporting of yesteryear. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It's definitely real. As far as Dan & Jake to mornings on the Freak, being a morning guy is one thing when you're getting up, having coffee, watching last night's Rangers game. It's another thing when you have to get up like the Musers do every day. Yeah, they'll start later but it's still a grind to get up every morning to do that. I think they'll take Ben & Skin's spot. There's a reason that D Magazine article came out. It felt like Ben & Skin getting another swan song. 

Nah. BAD Radio hasn't been a thing for 2 years now. 

What article are you referencing? 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Monty and DJ are seriously not bad. I’d pair them with Donny for 4 hours and have an hour of a rotating local celebrity like Doocy / Trahan / Aikman / Hansen / Norm in a designated day. This may be my Jump to Conclusions Mat idea and if so it was provided by Texzilla. 

Kind of like your fake ratings reporting of yesteryear. 

Yeah, but now I'm a helluva photoshopper.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, threesheets said:

i like him but they are absolutely not going to give him 5 hours straight. i would expect something like donovan + ??? to afternoon, then replace the morning show with someone/something.

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

you'd listen to them over gordo?  doubtful.

I would.  Just a matter of taste and overall Dan and Jake have more segments that interest me (I can do without simple George red dirt talk and Craig obscure sports talk).  Gordo segments will be there on the app.  In reality I would probably be flipping back and forth during the commute a bunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m trying to recall what happened when Chris Arnold left, Rocco was fired, and Bob was moved to middays without a partner. Norm didn’t come till later. I think Bob did 10-3 with a rotation of guest hosts like Followill and Duck Hicks. Then Dan came in and Norm was added shortly after. So probably a lot of Donovan and _________ until they figure out the permanent 12-3.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I would.  Just a matter of taste and overall Dan and Jake have more segments that interest me (I can do without simple George red dirt talk and Craig obscure sports talk).  Gordo segments will be there on the app.  In reality I would probably be flipping back and forth during the commute a bunch.

Agreed here. I'll just set up to rip and record 6:15, 7:15, 8:40 and 9:15 for Gordo segments. On the other hand, regardless of where they end up, Dan and Jake will probably be easier for me to access on demand than the ticket ever made it. 

3 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

This current 10-3 crew is rough. I’m out. 

next week will be quite telling.

do they roll with randos at 10-3?

do they try to set up some kind of cohesive concept where the shows are split 10-noon and noon-3? even if they have donnie on both groups?

do they roll with just pulling up one of the weekend shows to a week at a time, like they do for dry dock?

do they actually put effort into finding a rotating chair to go with Donnie?

2 hours ago, NoName said:

so we are to believe that Mike Rhyner, who didn't give enough of a damn to actually work on his show, was holding it together behind the scenes?

come on.

Whatever you may think of him he was obviously highly respected there at the station by the hosts and management. His voice carried a lot of weight there for 26 years. It's not a leap to think the station falling apart soon after he left isn't a pure coincidence. 

50 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I would put money on them just letting Donovan have 10-3 permanently. 

To me the best option they have is WIP noon to 3 and find someone cheap from the outside to pair with Donovan. WIP is great on Sundays and I don't know if they can keep up the quality 5 days a week but that's really the only good option they have. 

The Cumulus position seems reasonable on not allowing separate monetization seems reasonable in a vacuum but we obviously don't know the base salary offer and how that compares with the other top hosts.  If they were trying to do something on the side to make them whole (relatively compared to their peers) I get it.  It's a big risk for them obviously.  But I'll probably listen to anything Jake puts out.  Huge blow for the big events and frankly just for football season.  Jake's college football takes were pretty much the only ones I can even stand to listen to.

A #1 nondrive time host will not make what dominating #1 drive time hosts make. They should be paid as the top midday hosts in the market. I think Dan really carried that chip as Bob went to pm drive.

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

A #1 nondrive time host will not make what dominating #1 drive time hosts make. They should be paid as the top midday hosts in the market. I think Dan really carried that chip as Bob went to pm drive.

And he should have. Mid-days was better without him and the hardline was unlistenable until gen X came over. I think that's the death knell in the little ticket. Hope Dan and Jake get a bag

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Whatever you may think of him he was obviously highly respected there at the station by the hosts and management. His voice carried a lot of weight there for 26 years. It's not a leap to think the station falling apart soon after he left isn't a pure coincidence.

yeah, at one point he was super respected. then he rode into the sunset and started a spite station.

Mike left at the end of 2019. he's been gone for all of 2020, all of 2021, all of 2022 and half of this year. 3.5 years after he left isn't "soon after he left" - come on.

but again: why would we think he was working super hard behind the scenes to keep everything together...but phoning it in on his show every day?

2 minutes ago, pops said:

And he should have. Mid-days was better without him and the hardline was unlistenable until gen X came over. I think that's the death knell in the little ticket. Hope Dan and Jake get a bag

Agreed.  Bob, Corby, Craig and George should not be making more than Dan and Jake from a talent/listenability perspective.  I don't blame the other hosts for not fighting for their $$  but, in my personal opinion, Jake was #2 talent at the station behind Gordo.  Easily top 4.  So if his comp offer still paid him #7 then I don't blame him for walking.  And like you said, from Dan's perspective, no way Bob should be making more than him (if that is the case).   It sounds like those guys tried to bridge the salary gap via separate independent content.  IMO really short sighted of the Ticket to not go down that route.  I get it would open the door for the other hosts to make the same demand once their contracts come up but I agree we'll look back that this move was the beginning of the end for the Ticket.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agreed.  Bob, Corby, Craig and George should not be making more than Dan and Jake from a talent/listenability perspective.  I don't blame the other hosts for not fighting for their $$  but, in my personal opinion, Jake was #2 talent at the station behind Gordo.  Easily top 4.  So if his comp offer still paid him #7 then I don't blame him for walking.  And like you said, from Dan's perspective, no way Bob should be making more than him (if that is the case).   It sounds like those guys tried to bridge the salary gap via separate independent content.  IMO really short sighted of the Ticket to not go down that route.  I get it would open the door for the other hosts to make the same demand once their contracts come up but I agree we'll look back that this move was the beginning of the end for the Ticket.

I suspect the pay structure is that Gordo is the highest paid followed closely by George and Craig. As it should be.

Then Corby and Bob followed closely by Dan. 

I suspect Jake and Davey are comparable and lag slightly behind Donovan. 

All this is understandable. While I agree. With your point about Jake and Dan, their are reasons for the comp structure being something like the above. 

The ticket just finally ran it's course. It had unbelievable longevity and chemistry but maybe it really was Rhyner holding it all together behind the scenes all these years. Once he left it's become dysfunctional with high turnover like every other radio station. 
Outside of just Gordo now the rest of the ticket is pretty garbage. 

Yep. All runned out. Done. I guess being a dominating #1 at a level never before seen in the history of this station and probably any major market sports station is just an anomaly? Done without Rhyner. And then kicking Rhyner’s ass. The Ticket is a unique brand in current radio driven by the genius that is Gordo. The rest of it will take care of itself. It doesn’t exist in any other market.

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

I suspect the pay structure is that Gordo is the highest paid followed closely by George and Craig. As it should be.

All this is understandable. While I agree. With your point about Jake and Dan, their are reasons for the comp structure being something like the above. 

I would speculate this is correct as well.  Which kind of makes sense from both sides why this is the net result.  If there flat out wasn't more cash available at Cumulus (which no doubt was the case) Jake and Dan trying to bridge the gap with separate content makes sense.  I still think it was short-sighted of whomever made the ultimate call at Cumulus to nix that and let them walk.  This station doesn't exist if/when Gordo moves on and I think they will take a big hit loyalty "P1" hit from this alone.  It was worth it to figure out a way to keep them in the stable.

9 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yep. All runned out. Done. I guess being a dominating #1 at a level never before seen in the history of this station and probably any major market sports station is just an anomaly? Done without Rhyner. And then kicking Rhyner’s ass. The Ticket is a unique brand in current radio driven by the genius that is Gordo. The rest of it will take care of itself. It doesn’t exist in any other market.

I don't own it and don't manage it so I don't give a shit about ratings. I'm talking about quality and it's pretty bad right now. With such a loyal following it could take quite a while for ratings to drop after the quality drops considerably. Little by little people will siphon off. 

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, at one point he was super respected. then he rode into the sunset and started a spite station.

Mike left at the end of 2019. he's been gone for all of 2020, all of 2021, all of 2022 and half of this year. 3.5 years after he left isn't "soon after he left" - come on.

but again: why would we think he was working super hard behind the scenes to keep everything together...but phoning it in on his show every day?

I never said he was working hard to keep it together. Just his presence at the station and reverence the other hosts had for him kept things in line. Sort of like in a family dynamic when the patriarch/matriarch die the bonds with the siblings tend to get worse and they outright fight or othwrwise drift apart. He was the founder of the station. The patriarch of it all. Once he left what reason was there to keep it all together? 

Bob and Dan turned down more money elsewhere to stay a decade ago and they stated the family feel of what Rhyner started was the reason. Once he left that shit left with him. 

• Like 1

I really want to like Donny because he’s probably been one of the hardest working guys in Ticket history, but I find his shows pretty boring. They need to find the right pairing for him. If they can make Simple George work, Donny should be easier. 

35 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I see the problem and a solution. 2 outa 3 are overpaid and the money needs to be spent elsewhere. Corby is not drive time host material. He's a decent yuck monkey at best. He's the Ticket version of Big Head from Silicon Valley. Bob needs to rely more on his side gigs writing where he doesn't have to deal with heat from bad HSO's.

Edited by RPM

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

I see the problem and a solution. 2 outa 3 are overpaid and the money needs to be spent elsewhere. Corby is not drive time host material. He's a decent yuck monkey at best. He's the Ticket version of Big Head from Silicon Valley. Bob needs to rely more on his side gigs writing where he doesn't have to deal with heat from bad HSO's.

I disagree with them being overpaid. They both annoy me at times and I like them at times. Bob got shitcanned from The Athletic. 

56 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I really don't get the monetization for separate content.

The Ticket always says that they have more streaming listeners than any other radio station.  That's great.  Good for them.  But they can't seem to sell ads on their stream.  There are times when they just play some 10-second instrumentals for 30 or 60 seconds because of a lack of ads.

And that's really wild to me, because as a listener, it's very easy for me to switch stations on the radio when ads come on.  I just hit one button on my car steering wheel to switch to the next preset station.  It's a lot harder for me to change stations while streaming.  So more often than not, I just suffer through the ads while streaming--something I would never do while listening to over-the-air radio.

And by the way--this isn't just a phenomena with the Ticket.  I've noticed this same thing while streaming Rangers and Stars games on Bally's.  And yes--I'll acknowledge that Cumulus and Bally's are not the best-run companies in the sports-entertainment space.  But ESPN streaming also has a lot fewer advertisers than its cable/satellite service.

And I just really don't understand that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Ticket always says that they have more streaming listeners than any other radio station.  That's great.  Good for them.  But they can't seem to sell ads on their stream.  There are times when they just play some 10-second instrumentals for 30 or 60 seconds because of a lack of ads.

The SportsDay app is much different. 2-3 commercials per segment and 2 after.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And that's really wild to me, because as a listener, it's very easy for me to switch stations on the radio when ads come on.  I just hit one button on my car steering wheel to switch to the next preset station.  It's a lot harder for me to change stations while streaming.  So more often than not, I just suffer through the ads while streaming--something I would never do while listening to over-the-air radio.

And by the way--this isn't just a phenomena with the Ticket.  I've noticed this same thing while streaming Rangers and Stars games on Bally's.  And yes--I'll acknowledge that Cumulus and Bally's are not the best-run companies in the sports-entertainment space.  But ESPN streaming also has a lot fewer advertisers than its cable/satellite service.

Having worked in the biz, I can say with relative certainty that there are still a lot of AEs with broadcast background who can sell traditional radio ads all day long, but can't seem to figure out how to attractively market the value proposition of streaming ads.  

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They sell ads all over their streams. On each and every one. Ads have increased from 15-30 second to 1-3 minutes at the beginning of a podcast, always have them in the middle of the podcasts, and are all over live streaming.  Their ad revenue hasn’t been adversely affected by the rise of streaming, I would wager. 

I don't own it and don't manage it so I don't give a shit about ratings. I'm talking about quality and it's pretty bad right now. With such a loyal following it could take quite a while for ratings to drop after the quality drops considerably. Little by little people will siphon off. 

You realize if a station could play your farts 24/7 and maintain #1 share that is what a station would play. Ratings drive rates and audience numbers; Chris Chris from sales is the real important person ver talent or show quality. The ratings say this group of shows has a dominating run on top share. That means revenue is growing. Whether you like it or not is your problem not theirs. They have a big hole in the middle of the day to bridge from Musers to HL. We’ll see if they can solve it. Norm was a big factor whether you liked him or not. Advertisers lived himX

28 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

They sell ads all over their streams. On each and every one. Ads have increased from 15-30 second to 1-3 minutes at the beginning of a podcast, always have them in the middle of the podcasts, and are all over live streaming.  Their ad revenue hasn’t been adversely affected by the rise of streaming, I would wager. 

I'm sure that's right.  But my point is that ad revenue should be much higher because of streaming.

I just don't understand why any advertiser would buy an over-the-air ad and not a streaming ad (particularly on a station with a signal that is as weak as the Ticket).  To @sasquatch69's point above, that seems like a failure of the sales department.  But it seems to be a phenomenon across the industry.

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Bob got shitcanned from The Athletic. 

...you make this sound like it was personal. They laid off 4% of their newsroom and restructured another 4+% of their staff. they closed a ton of beats, fired their sports business team, fired a number of general sports reporters, somehow fired some NFL beat writers, got rid of a bunch of NHL writers and now have a ton of MLB teams without writers.

For 7 years I've been paying $13.10 per month to stream all the Ticket shows on demand on USaveit, via the Unticket. If Hang Zone is gone, I'll probably un-subscribe. Sturm is annoying on the HL.

The Ticket is on the downside of the long bell curve, and Rhyner's leaving in 2020 started its demise, no matter their ratings. It's Cumulus' fault.

I love Rhynes and the Ticket gang at the Freak, but I never ever listen. If Dan and Jake end up there that will change.

as official as it's going to get: https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/07/the-ticket-kemp-mcdowell-1310/

From the moment Norm Hitzges announced his retirement last month, the biggest point of conversation surrounding The Ticket is who will replace the legendary radio man at a station that has so rarely had an open chair.   

Now there are three, after Jake Kemp and Dan McDowell of The Hang Zone, KTCK’s noon-to-3 show, resigned yesterday. McDowell came aboard in 1999. Kemp joined the station 10 years later. The duo has broadcasted together since 2020, when McDowell’s former co-host, Bob Sturm, moved to evening drive time to replace the retiring Mike Rhyner, and Kemp replaced him in the early afternoon slot.

Here’s where we’ll address the elephant in the room: Jake writes for us at StrongSide and will continue to do so uninterrupted. As far as his other job goes, he can’t say anything just yet. Hopefully we’ll be able to share more later.

In the meantime, all eyes are on The Ticket and how it addresses the most upheaval the station has faced since the station launched in 1994.

let's see what's next - PMan said they aren't going to the freak, so if that's the case then they are going down the podcasting/patreon route?

Edited by NoName

If their contracts were up then there wouldn't be a non compete issue. My guess is they're hammering out the details of their move to whatever place offered them more money to leave the ticket and the announcement will come of their move when it's all signed and delivered. I would think the new place would want them on for Cowboys season probably no later than mid August. Jake was solid on Cowboys talk, probably the next best in market after of a couple of guys on the Fan. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Jake was solid on Cowboys talk, probably the next best in market after of a couple of guys on the Fan. 

He was far and away their only voice on the Mavs worth listening to. No one else even close in that dept. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

In hindsight, Dan has often spoke admiringly of his "brother in law" Clay Travis risking it all, branching out on his own, and leaving his local Nashville station. And judging from some of the topics that Dan routinely hit on during his "Business Tuesday" segments he's at least thought a little about ways to go about monetizing a show independently from media company like Cumulus. 

Is this just poster BS?

from MTC

They're Freak bound. They've been Freak bound since the inception of The Freak. Whitt was dead on correct. The demands they were making were laughable. They knew their demands were laughable. The entire negotiating process that began in December was a farce. It was a farce because there should not have been any negotiations going on in the first place. They began the process of trying to renegotiate their contracts with the intent on coming to an impasse in order to resign and in doing so not coming off as the bad guy because we all know it's always The Man's fault.

21 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Well holy shit now…

You gotta feel like Bob was always the one to talk Dan into coming back when they were on the verge of leaving a couple years ago. I remember Bob mentioning having a long talk with George which did a lot to persuade dissuade him from leaving. If my inclinations are true and it was really Bob who prevented them from leaving you've gotta wonder how Dan reflected back on that time after Bob left for the Hardline only a few years later.