Beto 2020

bad_teammate

If he wins he really, really needs a killer as his VP, someone who has chops and knows how to fucking scrap. Warren would be good for him.
"Go up there and shake your ass, cutie, I've got real work to do."
- "Yes ma'am.... *to crowd* I'm SO MOTHER FUCKIN' PROUD OF YOU PIECES OF SHIT!"
Dick Cheney brings gravitas to the ticket.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

No chance the Dems run another white guy in 2020.  Neither Biden or Sanders will make it through either but Beto has the smallest chance of the three. The brand of the democratic party is primarily focused on women and minorities of which he is neither. 

He is going to have to defend his  "phenomenally large breasts and tight buttocks" comments during the primaries and the other nominees aren't going to take the highroad.  Beto has the burglary, dwi and fleeing the scene of an accident charges too.  Not a big deal when you are running against the zodiac killer, but Beto is 2020's John Edwards. They haven't even started pulling the skeletons out of his closet yet.

Any skeletons Beto may have would be pulversized to dust by the crushing weight of skeletons the GOP nominee possesses.

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Any skeletons Beto may have would be pulversized to dust by the crushing weight of skeletons the GOP nominee possesses.

Nope.  Perhaps you didn't get the memo.  Standards of decency and conduct apply only to Dem candidates.  If you stole a lollipop in 3rd grade, you should be shunned and driven from society.  But if you're a GOP official, it doesn't matter what you've done, even bragged about doing.  Just call the discussion a "political witch hunt" and go about your business, completely unscathed.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

What is that ticket's electoral map?

Do either of them appeal to the Blue Wall states that we need to get back to win? Do either of them appeal in Florida or Ohio?

I think both would appeal across the country.   Obviously, CA, OR and WA are going red so Kamala's impact out there is not much.   But I think Harris helps a lot on the midwest and Beto would score points with Florida (and other southern) voters.

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I think both would appeal across the country.   Obviously, CA, OR and WA are going red so Kamala's impact out there is not much.   But I think Harris helps a lot on the midwest and Beto would score points with Florida (and other southern) voters.

I assume you mean blue?  And I actually think Beto would appeal more in the midwest.  Harris would appeal to African-Americans.  Beto to blue collar white males, white females and some Hispanics.  Would they move the needle enough?  No idea.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

22 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Fill me in on Harris/midwest and Beto/Florida. Why?

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Ivy league educated.

Wealthy family.

White.

Male.

Both born to powerful/rich men who groomed their sons from an early age to take power and maintain status in the elite.

Both rejected that mantle in their youth and rebelled. (Beto went by "Robert" in NYC b/c "Beto" is a nickname his dad chose to make him electable as a white Irishman in El Paso - Imagine that. Imagine your parents giving you an ethnic-sounding nickname when you were a baby specifically because they wanted  you to run for office later in life.)

Both were mildly self-destructive; both drunk drivers.

Both came back like the prodigal son and realized that the destiny their fathers outlined for them was legitimate.

There are definitely breaks in the parallel. As mentioned above, W was more successful (which is much easier as a Republican, obviously) and Beto is running the Rich Boy Peter Principle track of failing upwards.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

giphy.gif

In a way, all of us have a Pendejo to face in life.  In this case, it's a Bendejo named Trump.  

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Fill me in on Harris/midwest and Beto/Florida. Why?

Both born to powerful/rich men who groomed their sons from an early age to take power and maintain status in the elite.

Both rejected that mantle in their youth and rebelled. (Beto went by "Robert" in NYC b/c "Beto" is a nickname his dad chose to make him electable as a white Irishman in El Paso - Imagine that. Imagine your parents giving you an ethnic-sounding nickname when you were a baby specifically because they wanted  you to run for office later in life.)

Both were mildly self-destructive; both drunk drivers.

Both came back like the prodigal son and realized that the destiny their fathers outlined for them was legitimate.

There are definitely breaks in the parallel. As mentioned above, W was more successful (which is much easier as a Republican, obviously) and Beto is running the Rich Boy Peter Principle track of failing upwards.

is this true or just your opinion? Or someone else's opinion?

43 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What is that ticket's electoral map?

Do either of them appeal to the Blue Wall states that we need to get back to win? Do either of them appeal in Florida or Ohio?

We don't need some dude to pander to the Midwest. We were literally what like 60k votes away from the Presidency with Hillary Clinton as the candidate after getting swiftboated by the Russians. We can win them with a decent candidate not from that area.

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

. Imagine your parents giving you an ethnic-sounding nickname when you were a baby specifically because they wanted  you to run for office later in life.

Imagine railing against the dishonesty of the dotard day in and day out and doing the exact same thing as soon as it is politically in your favor to.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Yes, I meant blue.   Any D is going to pull the African American vote.  But Harris could appeal to blue collar midwesterner by appealing to their wallet.   Keep jobs on Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania instead of sending them offshore.   Those jobs might still go offshore (or to the South like SC or GA) but shes a solid D and not a carpetbagger like Hillary.   Dont kid yourself....   Hillarys insane desire to be POTUS rubbed a lot of moderate Ds the wrong way. 

Beto might be a D but he's not a scary AOC or even a little more moderate Pelosi D (in the eyes of Rs.)  He'll be able to paint himself as southerner regardless of his background, marriage and connections.   He can put on cowboy boots and a pearl snap shirt and drink Coors Light with one crowd and then put on a suit and drink an expensive Cab without another but not alienate either side because he's likeable.  He's also  knowledgeable without coming across as condescending.  He comes across as a straight shooter and that's going to really appeal to A LOT OF PEOPLE in 2020.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So original.

i was watchign one of his FB feeds where he and his staff were @ whataburger.  He told the story of how the Beto sign came into being, from one of his best friends imagination, and denied it was a WB ripoff. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

It's what his dad said.

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

11 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

We don't need some dude to pander to the Midwest. We were literally what like 60k votes away from the Presidency with Hillary Clinton as the candidate after getting swiftboated by the Russians. We can win them with a decent candidate not from that area.

So it's not that Harris has any particular appeal in the Midwest, we're just going to win it because... inertia?

(I wish I could think of a presidential election recently where the Democrats lost because they assumed victory... oh well.)

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

i was watchign one of his FB feeds where he and his staff were @ whataburger.  He told the story of how the Beto sign came into being, from one of his best friends imagination, and denied it was a WB ripoff. 

Which is a story that would have credibility if he hadn't titled his tax plan "#4 with extra jalapenos."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's what his dad said.

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

So it's not that Harris has any particular appeal in the Midwest, we're just going to win it because... inertia?

(I wish I could think of a presidential election recently where the Democrats lost because they assumed victory... oh well.)

Holy shit.

Fuck that guy. How fucking cynical.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

This thread stole all my likes and I want you all to know that I love all of your posts and I love all of you.

My favorite thing is giving Beto shit, but I'm so glad he's in the race.

It's finally getting fun.

That story about his father makes me want to punch things.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That story about his father makes me want to punch things.

lol and that son is going to muscle a few women, minorities, and a gay out of the "ANYONE BUT BERNIE!" lane

America fuckin' rules

(none of it matters because Yang is coming and is going to get that bag in 2020)

Edited by bad_teammate