Beto 2020

bad_teammate

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's what his dad said.

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

So it's not that Harris has any particular appeal in the Midwest, we're just going to win it because... inertia?

(I wish I could think of a presidential election recently where the Democrats lost because they assumed victory... oh well.)

I mean I'm not assuming we win it by default. What I'm saying is that a good candidate can win it without being born there or having a specific personal connection if they can speak well and/or have decent policies that get people excited.

Just now, TheFlyingBoat said:

I mean I'm not assuming we win it by default. What I'm saying is that a good candidate can win it without being born there or having a specific personal connection if they can speak well and/or have decent policies that get people excited.

I agree with this 100%. We don't need a white guy in a hard hat and moustache (RIP IronStache, I'll always love you) to take back the blue wall, but the message needs to be right and messenger can help. After all, Obama won all that shit and he was a gay Kenyan named Hussein who sucked dick for money in a limo* because he knew how to talk to them and he made them feel good because he was a really nice black man.

Part of the primary, though, is finding out who is most likely to have the message that appeals and the ability to convey that message effectively. (Obama checked both boxes.)

(* - Not really, but many working class whites believed this.)

19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's what his dad said.

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

So it's not that Harris has any particular appeal in the Midwest, we're just going to win it because... inertia?

(I wish I could think of a presidential election recently where the Democrats lost because they assumed victory... oh well.)

Ugh, well I should've known it was true as soon as Dennison said it wasn't with such confidence.

All I can tell you is that Mrs.LL has been watching Beto on CNN all day. It’s the first time in years CNN hasn’t enraged her. And Maddow tonight—which is apparently stop-down programming in my house—will be all Beto.

Yeah, gents—I’m getting laid tonight.

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Hard to get excited about a guy that doesn't really want to run, but is doing it because he rather not have to raise his kids.

Oh c’mon, just imagine how totally gnarly it would be to have a skateboarder in the White House. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Oh c’mon, just imagine how totally gnarly it would be to have a skateboarder in the White House. 

It could literally be Dennis Rodman running and you motherfuckers wouldn't have an inch of leg to stand on.

Don't be a hypocrite.  It's one of the worst qualities. 

Edited by threesheets
  • Like 1

lol at that fucking Fox News graphic.

I’ve got my own question - who made that terrible looking shit? A graphic design professional employed by a major cable network or Karen, the 52 year old who just taught herself PowerPoint off YouTube tutorials?

58 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Maybe if he raped his wife it would get you excited enough to take a shit on the Constitution.

Nah he can just drive drunk and nearly kill innocent women. I mean the only thing from really keeping from being the "mexican" Kennedy is the girl in his truck that night actually lived.

Going to be hilarious reading through this thread after Robert Francis loses again.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nah he can just drive drunk and nearly kill innocent women. I mean the only thing from really keeping from being the "mexican" Kennedy is the girl in his truck that night actually lived.

Going to be hilarious reading through this thread after Robert Francis loses again.

Lol. That’s a saint compared to our current president.  I must have missed where you criticized that grifter son of a bitch?  

• Like 1