2019 MLB thread

spystud13

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

no man meta GIF

I do not care for most of her stuff, but those two are polar opposites. Gardner still has a country song for his walk-up. Seeing him step out of character for once would be humorous. Baseball as a whole could use some humor. It is easily the sport that employs the most athletes, and also has the most fans, with a stick up their ass.

Edited by UpperWestside

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I believe Baltimore has now given up 35 homers in 8 home games and three innings to the Yanks after the three solo shots in the 3rd, with somehow none of them being hit by Gleyber. Seeing Baltimore and Detroit in the majors makes me wish MLB was able to relegate teams. 

I think I read that the Yankees have hit more homers in Camden Yards than Detroit has hit in their own park.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

The Yankees have the best analytics department in baseball. Castoffs like DJ LeMe, Urshela, Voit, and Tauchman have been huge difference makers for them. Count Mike Ford in there too even though he came up through the farm. 

They’ve done wonders with the starting pitching staff. 

On 8/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, Beau Vine said:

That's only a problem if those teams start winning.  AZ just traded their ace.  SF is flukier than the Mets.  PHilly and Milwaukee are a mess.  The only team they need to chase is WAS, who is led by Dave Martinez.

Not saying the Mets are going to make the playoffs, just that they're far from dead.  They're winning today, and then they have 7 in row against PIT and MIA.  I could easily see them finishing that 7-1 and ahead of the Brewers in the WC standings.  I could also see them turning back into the lolMets. 

Bump.  

Passed AZ and SF, now 2 out of WC, half-game behind MIL.  Wheeler has 15 shutout innings since the trade deadline.  1 more game left with MIA before they play WSH and ATL.  

• Like 1

Furk.

Tweet deleted, but incredible

That is what’s always to amazing me about shitty teams. I get sucking at pitching and hitting but the shitty teams are terrible at the one thing that everyone should be able to do at that level. Catch the ball. I’m not talking about making outrageous plays, but even just the basics they seemingly can’t do

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I saw the Dodgers in person in the ravine last night. I dunno what they will do with Houston if both get there but that’s a fucking strong ass baseball team.

Enjoyed watching them dismantle Wacha-aggy and grabbed a foul ball too for my troubles...clearly juiced.

ac4231ca4d5d692cfbf6052864d67815.jpg

There’s a big part of me that feels like a team that good can’t possibly lose 3 WS in a row. They have to get there, and baseball is a funny game, but they’re so far ahead of the pack in regards to talent and record in the NL. If they make it, I think they do it this year. I know I’m contradicting myself based on what I said at the trade deadline, but if this really is the best version of that team...

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I think I read that the Yankees have hit more homers in Camden Yards than Detroit has hit in their own park.

That sounds like a true statement. They have 38 in 9 games there after the six they hit last night. 

Another fun stat is that the Dodgers, Astros and Yanks all have more wins than Detroit and Baltimore do combined. 

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Kershaw gives up one run over 7 innings last night.  11-2 with a 2.77 ERA.  Reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

That translates for Kershaw to about a 4.77 ERA in the playoffs, using his historical norms.  He's like the Warren Moon of MLB.

Edited by Johnny Sack

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That sounds like a true statement. They have 38 in 9 games there after the six they hit last night. 

Another fun stat is that the Dodgers, Astros and Yanks all have more wins than Detroit and Baltimore do combined. 

Albert Pujols' career average now sits at .300, and it's a near certainty that by the end of this season it will be several points below that mark, which is a shame. The last time Pujols' career average was below .300? April 7th, 2001, when Albert was heading into his 5th career game with St.Louis. 

48 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I said it before, and I’ll say it again. Jack mother fucking flaherty has found his groove. Dude is just cruising through every tough matchup he has like he’s facing the tigers or something.

7 IP, 10 Ks, 1 BB, 4 hits, and 0 runs allowed. But he doesn’t get the win. Somewhere, Michael Wilbon is screaming that’s a bad start because he didn’t get the win lol

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Albert Pujols' career average now sits at .300, and it's a near certainty that by the end of this season it will be several points below that mark, which is a shame. The last time Pujols' career average was below .300? April 7th, 2001, when Albert was heading into his 5th career game with St.Louis. 

Are you familiar with Mickey mantle’s career avg and his last season avg?