2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Not a great decision by Hinch, but this guy has the pulse of a team better than any Astros manager I’ve ever witnessed. Hard for me to nitpick a single decision over a 162 game season when he’s so important to the bigger picture of having a cohesive clubhouse that can go out and win it all. All that being said, we will rue this loss during the last week of the season as we are fighting for home field. Fuck. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hinch’s Mistake was not pulling Miley after the walk to start the 9th

not bunting springer over was also piss poor baseball. 2019 Altuve needs to bunt in that situation 

our BP is full of dead arms 

Agree with this.  Was annoyed Tuve didn't lay down the bunt, to either move Springer into scoring position or possibly beat out the play.  

• Fuck You 1

Not a great decision by Hinch, but this guy has the pulse of a team better than any Astros manager I’ve ever witnessed. Hard for me to nitpick a single decision over a 162 game season when he’s so important to the bigger picture of having a cohesive clubhouse that can go out and win it all. All that being said, we will rue this loss during the last week of the season as we are fighting for home field. Fuck. 

Especially considering the outcome of the chaos I just witnessed in Minnesota.
Over 162, can’t necessarily single out one specific night that is the difference if we finish, say, 1 game back but damn if tonight wasn’t a kick to the nuts.

OK, it’s debatable whether Miley should have started the ninth or whether he should have been replaced following the leadoff BB. What makes no sense to me is removing the Astros best two bats, Brantley and Gurriel, for what purpose?

Brantley isn’t a hack in LF and Gurriel is their most valuable utility player. I doubt an inning’s “rest” really makes a difference. What’s inarguable is neither was available once Osuna did his disappearing lead act. 

Hinch makes some curious decisions .. last night’s being costly.  

10 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

OK, it’s debatable whether Miley should have started the ninth or whether he should have been replaced following the leadoff BB. What makes no sense to me is removing the Astros best two bats, Brantley and Gurriel, for what purpose?

Brantley isn’t a hack in LF and Gurriel is their most valuable utility player. I doubt an inning’s “rest” really makes a difference. What’s inarguable is neither was available once Osuna did his disappearing lead act. 

Hinch makes some curious decisions .. last night’s being costly.  

Putting in Straw for Gurriel was absolutely the right move.  We were down by 1 in the ninth and Gurriel was on first.  Straw has elite, elite speed.

Brantley?  He was pulled to get Marisnick in for defense late in the game when we had a two run lead.  It is understandable.

• Like 2

Eh, i don’t remember when Brantley left the game but I’m not faulting Hinch for pinch-running Yuli with Straw. That’s a no-brainer in that situation.

And don’t get me started with “ but, but Yuli was almost as fast as George on his inside the parker!” (For the record, I just watched the replay of both. Yuli was busting it almost immediately out of the box. springer didn’t turn it on until he started to Round first base)

Edit: Johnny beat me to it

hinch messed up twice last night - his first was to let miley start the ninth inning when Miley hasnt done once this season. you pull him out and he can only get a Win for his efforts last night, which is absolutely should have. hinch also messed up by not pulling him after his first batter walk to lead off the ninth. he should have told him if this first batter gets on, you're coming out - at the worst, you would ge a ND (which is what he ended with). after chapman gets on, Hinch is basically fucked and has no other choice to bring in osuna. he's a really good closer and I have a lot of faith in him, but that's a tough spot - 2 on, no outs with a 2 run lead, facing an teams 3-4-5. shit happens -it's baseball

the other moves are completely defensible and I would have done the same - no fucks up there. let's finish today with JV and get another series win. simple as that.

• Like 3

It was 1 bad pitch by Osuna.  He had him 0-2.....+2 fouls and fucked up 1 pitch.   Way too fat of a pitch in that count.  

sucks they lost, but I can live with that and don't really have an issue with Osuna.  Not every pitcher is going to get every single person they face out in every game.  It's baseball.  

Just not 1 good pitch there.  

Reddick stayed up late watching too much wrestling last night

For all the hate White and others have gotten this season (Yuli before breaking out), Reddick has gotten off the hook. His average is good but declining, walks are awful, little power and mediocre defense.

Also, the game is free online on MLB if you don’t have a way to watch (in the office)

Who have you been watching on defense if you think Reddick is mediocre?

Ability to reach over an 8’ wall does not make one a great outfielder.

(I’m not saying he sucks, but I do think we tend to equate amazing catches with being a great defender. Someone posted some defensive metrics on Reddick the other day that would imply he’s good but not great)