2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So where does Diaz play to keep his bat in the lineup? The Stros are deep 1-8. The only weak spot is catcher, but Chirinos does a lot of other things well. 

He’s #1 bat off the bench and spot relief in the infield 

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s #1 bat off the bench and spot relief in the infield 

I guess he could spell Correa at shortstop,  Altuve at second, and Bregman at third. I believe he's played some first as well. That'd get Diaz up to 4 starts a week. I guess Margo was around that when everybody was healthy and he wasn't needed in left field. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Also this tidbit about Cole:

Cole fanned Matt Olson on a 98 mph four-seam fastball in the fourth inning of the 11-1 win over the A’s for his sixth strikeout of the game, giving him 200 in 2019. He reached the milestone in 133 1/3 innings, which is the second fewest behind Randy Johnson (130 2/3 innings) in '01.

Predictions from Mike Petriello from mlb.com (yeah what the fuck does this guy know though huh?)

Jake Diekman, RP, Royals
Prediction: Astros.

For all the talk about Houston's need in the rotation, they don't really have a lefty reliever, as they've tried Framber Valdez, Reymin Guduan, and Cionel Perez with relatively little success from any. In fact, only four teams have had worse performance from lefty relievers, so while this may not be the need, it's definitely a need. Maybe that's Watson or Roenis Elias instead, but it seems reasonable to expect they'll try to get someone, and if they can help Diekman tamp down his 5.2 per nine walk rate without hurting his 13.4 per nine strikeout rate, maybe they can even find a way to make him better

Zack Wheeler SP, Mets
Prediction: Astros.

The Astros don't just need better starters, they need starters, because they really only have three in Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Wade Miley; they're going to try to ride a four-man rotation out through the Trade Deadline.

There's a risk here, obviously, in the fact that Wheeler is currently on the IL with shoulder fatigue, though his Sunday bullpen session went well and he's expected to be back to start before the Deadline. If so -- and if Houston can't pull off a far more entertaining swap for Noah Syndergaard -- Wheeler certainly fits the mold of a talented pitcher who could be made even better by the Astros. His 4.69 ERA belies the fact that his strikeout rate is a career-high 25.6%, while his walk rate is down to a career-best 6.7%. He'll be a free agent at the end of the year, which doesn't help a 2020 Houston rotation that may lose both Cole and Miley, but that might be a problem for another day.

AND this great one.  How sweet would it be to hit a walk off homer off this dildo to win the World Series:

Ken Giles, RP, Blue Jays
Prediction: Dodgers.

The Dodgers could sure use another reliever or three, and they don't seem likely to be mesmerized by the good-not-great peripherals behind Shane Greene's shiny ERA and saves. A more likely fit seems like Giles, who has rebounded from a bad finish to his Houston career by becoming one of the more dominant relievers in baseball this year for Toronto, both by traditional metrics (1.64 ERA) and advanced (his 43.2% strikeout rate is baseball's second-highest, and his Statcast quality-of-contact metrics are top five.) Though he did miss some time with nerve inflammation in his right elbow, he was healthy enough to strike out three Tigers while nailing down a save on Saturday.

Lol so back in 2013 I found a large piece of bone or some shit in my Starkist Tuna and wrote them a letter.....of course the Astros were a big part of it.  It is always fun looking back on how shitty we once were.  Thank god times have changed.  Here is an excerpt for your reading pleasure:

So I cook up my Tuna Helper and eat some of it the night of 7-21-13. I end up putting the rest in the fridge to save for a later date because what is better than some reheated tuna helper??

So this brings me to yesterday 7-22-13. I decided to go to the Houston Astros game. Yes the team with the worst record in the majors. They are terribad. I mean I don't know if Charlie the tuna follows baseball, but if he did I am sure he wouldn't be an Astros fan. Its pretty rough. So anyway I go to this game where the Astros blow yet another lead and lose late(but my buddy did get a homerun ball so that was pretty cool....i guess). At the game I ended up getting 4 free Whataburger coupons for filling out a survey from some little hottie. On the way home I am thinking, "Man I am hungry I should stop and get me a Whataburger since I got these free coupons," but then it hits me....I have Tuna Helper waiting for me at the house. I start getting excited.

So I rush inside and get about half of my Tuna Helper out of the fridge and end up heating that bad boy up. I can barely contain myself as I wait for the 1 minute and 24 seconds to go by while the smell of this greatness starts filling my condo at 11:30pm. I pop that door open and start to dig into the smelly goodness. I get deep in there and all of a sudden something catches my eye.

It is a semi circle with fangs. WTF yo! I don't know what this thing is, but I pull it out of the smelly goodness and rinse it off. It's hard to clean because of all the juices that are on it, but I manage to get it done. I take a look at it and am pretty sure if I would have swallowed this thing that the two fang like parts would have slide down my esophagus, managing to shred the sides of my esophagus, which would have caused internal bleeding, which would have left me lying on my kitchen floor and I would most likely die since no one lives with me. What a crappy way that would have been to go out. I mean it was bad enough I saw the Astros blow another freaking lead(their bullpen needs to choke on some tuna parts so maybe yall can send them a few cans of StarKist).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Honestly, I don’t have feelings either way about resigning Correa but damn we better resign Cole. If he leaves, it won’t be because of money 

Why don't you think it will be because of money? Lunhow clearly has a value (dollar figure and year total) tied to everyone...he's not going to get into a bidding war if the contract terms go beyond what his projections dictate.

Lol so back in 2013 I found a large piece of bone or some shit in my Starkist Tuna and wrote them a letter.....of course the Astros were a big part of it.  It is always fun looking back on how shitty we once were.  Thank god times have changed.  Here is an excerpt for your reading pleasure:

So I cook up my Tuna Helper and eat some of it the night of 7-21-13. I end up putting the rest in the fridge to save for a later date because what is better than some reheated tuna helper??

So this brings me to yesterday 7-22-13. I decided to go to the Houston Astros game. Yes the team with the worst record in the majors. They are terribad. I mean I don't know if Charlie the tuna follows baseball, but if he did I am sure he wouldn't be an Astros fan. Its pretty rough. So anyway I go to this game where the Astros blow yet another lead and lose late(but my buddy did get a homerun ball so that was pretty cool....i guess). At the game I ended up getting 4 free Whataburger coupons for filling out a survey from some little hottie. On the way home I am thinking, "Man I am hungry I should stop and get me a Whataburger since I got these free coupons," but then it hits me....I have Tuna Helper waiting for me at the house. I start getting excited.

So I rush inside and get about half of my Tuna Helper out of the fridge and end up heating that bad boy up. I can barely contain myself as I wait for the 1 minute and 24 seconds to go by while the smell of this greatness starts filling my condo at 11:30pm. I pop that door open and start to dig into the smelly goodness. I get deep in there and all of a sudden something catches my eye.

It is a semi circle with fangs. WTF yo! I don't know what this thing is, but I pull it out of the smelly goodness and rinse it off. It's hard to clean because of all the juices that are on it, but I manage to get it done. I take a look at it and am pretty sure if I would have swallowed this thing that the two fang like parts would have slide down my esophagus, managing to shred the sides of my esophagus, which would have caused internal bleeding, which would have left me lying on my kitchen floor and I would most likely die since no one lives with me. What a crappy way that would have been to go out. I mean it was bad enough I saw the Astros blow another freaking lead(their bullpen needs to choke on some tuna parts so maybe yall can send them a few cans of StarKist).

We are witness

Seriously, a man that could survive 6!years after eating re-heated tuna helper? #legend
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don’t have feelings either way about resigning Correa but damn we better resign Cole. If he leaves, it won’t be because of money 

If he leaves it will be all about the money. He’s a Boras client and I would expect he’ll ask for and probably get 7/$210mm.

For 2020, the Astros already have $121mm committed for only 7 players. (JV, Altuve, Bregs, Reddick, Brantley, Pressly and Yuli.) Springer and Correa will command, at least, another $25mm, combined, in arbitration. The other arb eligible and pre arb players probably take another $30mm. So that’s $175mm in payroll in 2020 with several holes still needed to be filled, mostly pitching. Cole, Smith, Miley, McHugh, Rondon, Harris and Chirinos will all be free agents.

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Cole is going to test how committed teams are to the new world order of contracts.  I expect someone is going to cave and throw him a semi-ridiculous offer.

Agreed...and somebody will.

ATL seems likely to go all-in on Cole - they're good, they have some of their best players on team-friendly deals (Albies, Acuna) or rookie deals (Soroka, Riley), they have $$, etc. NYY have Sabathia coming off the payroll; CHC may want to load up for a last push before their Bryant/Rizzo/Baez window closes; PHI can add payroll; maybe the Angels make a push for the southern California guy while they have Trout/Ohtani and Adell about to come up, with the Pujols albatross contract another year closer to ending...SD, BOS, TEX all make some sense too.

Someone is going to give him crazy money, and I really doubt it will be the Astros. 

my scoretracker app had a story about us going after thor.

these stories are all the fuck over the place.

gonna be an interesting next week.

Yeah I’m surprised at how few deals seem to have happened so far

Maybe there have been more than I realize and just not big names, but I thought we’d see more happening earlier with the 1 deadline

I guess it doesn’t help that all but 4 teams in the NL are within 5 games of a wild card spot. That makes for a whole lot of potential demand and not a lot of supply.

I would be a little annoyed if I’m a Giants fan right now though... picking 2 weeks before the trade deadline to go on what will certainly be their hottest stretch of the season. 9-1 L10 and only 2 back of 2nd wild card spot.

Clearly speculation, but since this is the only trade deadline now I think sellers have a huge advantage in waiting until the very end to get the best deal possible.  Some teams will fucking panic(probably Cashmans dumbass) and end up trading away a shit ton in a deal.  

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Pretty fun little simulator: https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Ray for Bukaukus and Beer seems pretty fair based on the values the simulator assigns. Who says no?

Bukauskus, Beer, and Valdez gets you Stroman according to the simulator. Have to think another team would be willing to pay more. 

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Giles would get to finish what he didn’t get to start in 2017... pitching game 6 or 7 in Dodger Stadium... and the result would be the same it was HAD he pitched in those late games in 2017

No, if he had pitched those games in 2017 the Astros lose and the Dodgers win.

If he pitches those games in 2019 for LA, the Astros win and the Dodgers lose.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

If he leaves it will be all about the money. He’s a Boras client and I would expect he’ll ask for and probably get 7/$210mm.

For 2020, the Astros already have $121mm committed for only 7 players. (JV, Altuve, Bregs, Reddick, Brantley, Pressly and Yuli.) Springer and Correa will command, at least, another $25mm, combined, in arbitration. The other arb eligible and pre arb players probably take another $30mm. So that’s $175mm in payroll in 2020 with several holes still needed to be filled, mostly pitching. Cole, Smith, Miley, McHugh, Rondon, Harris and Chirinos will all be free agents.

I would love to keep Cole, but I think Crane has said he wants to avoid the luxury tax. The threshold will be $208mm.

I'm sure the Astros will play up the fact that they developed Cole into a dominant pitcher and will be a contender for the near future.

But Boras is his agent.