2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

tenor.gif

Really like seeing some young starting pitchers step up. Shit on the Arlington Mall Cops as we do, their hitting has been legit, and Urquidy and Armenteros shut them down but good.

Least favorite thing is seeing a few folks here piss on White. I can't fathom why you'd wish him anything but well. It's a shame his Cinderella story came crashing back down to Earth, but don't hate on him for that.

A close second on the "picking out flaws from a masterpiece" is wtf was up with Tuve's defensive play? Glad he's back to hitting like last year's Tuve, but since when has he struggled fielding like he's been?

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Folks are really scoreboard watching the A’s in mid-July?

The only teams I’m remotely interested in are the Yankees and Dodgers.

I'm going to bookmark this. A 6.5 game lead is nothing in July. Shit can happen.

I'm going to bookmark this. A 6.5 game lead is nothing in July. Shit can happen.

Please do. And put my shit on blast if we’re still tooling around with a ~6 game lead
(My original post we were only up 4.5 for the record.)
Maybe I didn’t learn a lesson last year when the A’s wouldn’t disappear, but I’ll take my chances.

9 of our next 20 are against the Mariners, Orioles and White Sox.... and all of those are after the trade deadline when those teams will be even more depleted than they already are and when we’ll have Correa and Diaz plus whoever else we add on the pitching side.
  • Like 1

In an interview on the Astros’ pregame show today (hat tip to the Houston Chronicle’s Chandler Rome), general manager Jeff Luhnow projected that Brad Peacock will likely be out of action until roughly the “middle of next month, realistically.”  Peacock’s recovery from shoulder inflammation hit a setback last week, and the right-hander is now looking at an injured list stint of at least six weeks (he hit the IL on June 28) if Luhnow’s mid-August timeline ends up being accurate.  Peacock’s extended absence has only further deepened the Astros’ need for pitching reinforcements, as he was expected to return from the IL last week.

Stros411.com
With Diaz coming back Tuesday the likely move will be Myles Straw. He has options. When Correa comes back the next move might upset some, as Tony Kemp is out of options. It what many want to hear but I’m making assumptions on these moves. I may be wrong, but these seem to be the most likely. Straw has a bright future you will see him later if this happens. - Brett Chancey

NOTE: If Diaz doesn’t perform like he’s supposed to there’s a chance they put Straw on the playoff roster

Edited by tx 3 putt

If they want to go with 13 position players, they can put James on the IL to activate Diaz.

The only way Kemp stays on the team is if they have 13 position players on the roster.

CLARIFICATION

When Diaz gets activated, Straw and Kemp can both stay on the roster if the Astros go with 13 position players. Or Straw can get optioned to Round Rock.

When Diaz and Correa are both on the roster, the only way Kemp stays on the team is with 13 position players.

Edited by BornOrange

Kemp will get moved for a AA-type guy as an absolute worst resort if no one else gets hurt, legitimately or not.
As bad as some of the recent roster management has been in hindsight, DFA’ing Kemp at this point would take the cake.

We’d be fine carrying 12 pitchers through the first part of August. (We could get by without a #5 starter until August 13), but after that, no way. No off days between Aug 9 and Aug 25 (17 days).