2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Very happy for Urquidy tonight.  Man.

Revisiting this post after considering his night. It really is cool to see a guy reach the highest point to date in his chosen profession. How he must feel right now. Hopefully, he’s raised his personal bar for his future and can keep it up. 

I must have missed this yesterday. Abreu has the best curveball of Astros minor leaguers. He is also on the 40 man roster.

Astros: Bryan Abreu, RHP (No. 7) -- 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K (Double-A Corpus Christi)
In his past two outings, Abreu has been deployed alongside fellow Astros prospect Cristian Javier as a "piggyback" starter, a setup in which each works about half of the game on the mound. Last time out it was Javier who stole the show, and Friday it was Abreu. The solid outing was a sight for sore eyes among Hooks fans, as Abreu had been struggling mightily over his past four appearances, allowing multiple earned runs each time. Friday's four innings marked his first appearance of any length this season without a walk, and only his third scoreless trip to the mound in 2019.

George sits today.

I’m really surprised, after hanging on to him for ~4 months, they cut bait with White when they did and didn’t find a way to hold on to him for 6-7 more days. Basically forces Straw to be our everyday shortstop for at least a week.

Luhnow pregame comments should be interesting today.

1ea735f624e0ae457ec21198d7af4c05.jpg

25 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Too early to consider Whitley a failure.

Not career failure but yet again, his season is a failure 

I really don’t know about trading tucker for Stroman. Y’all realize that stroman is about as tall as Altuve ? Not enough return on that trade 

Straw is young and hungry, playing 7 days straight won’t kill him. They’re showcasing him 

I’m not taking about Straw’s ability to play everyday but that’s fair.
I just mean it’s not ideal from a “give your team it’s best chance to win every day.”
Although I suppose it’s not any worse than the alternative of Straw on the bench/ OF and White at first

George sits today.

I’m really surprised, after hanging on to him for ~4 months, they cut bait with White when they did and didn’t find a way to hold on to him for 6-7 more days. Basically forces Straw to be our everyday shortstop for at least a week.

They had to bring up a starting pitcher. With the recent terrible outings from replacements, they needed to keep the bullpen numbers intact. I expect Diaz to be back tomorrow so Straw won’t need to play SS after today.

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Straw is young and hungry, playing 7 days straight won’t kill him. They’re showcasing him 

How many more years is Jake under team control? I see he has an arbitration year in 2020. 

Straw is younger, cheaper, and plays more positions. Jake has better pop though. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

They had to bring up a starting pitcher. With the recent terrible outings from replacements, they needed to keep the bullpen numbers intact. I expect Diaz to be back tomorrow so Straw won’t need to play SS after today.

Is that true on Diaz?
I didn’t realize they were that close with him.
That changes everything I said

I like Boyd a lot, but the Astros should be able put together a package for him that doesn't include Whitley and Tucker. 

He’s going to be very expensive. Under arbitration control for 3 more years. It was rumored a few weeks back that they were asking for Gleyber Torres from the Yankees. He’d cost Whitley or Tucker plus others.

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s going to be very expensive. Under arbitration control for 3 more years. It was rumored a few weeks back that they were asking for Gleyber Torres from the Yankees. He’d cost Whitley or Tucker plus others.

start high, weed out the pretenders