2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I got stuck with these 2 slappies when I was an Astro Buddy

spacer.png 

spacer.png

I got to throw out the first pitch when I was 11.  Which was awesome.  In the Dome in 87.  Jim Pankovits caught me and signed the ball.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

From mlb.com :

GCL relevance in the Majors

The Astros’ ability to pursue particular high-impact trades may hinge, to a small degree, on the result of a Friday game in the Gulf Coast League. Forrest Whitley, ranked as the club’s No. 1 prospect and No. 9 overall in baseball by MLB Pipeline, is scheduled to pitch.

Whitley has thrown fewer than 80 innings since the start of last season, due to suspension and injury. He’s currently on the Triple-A injured list with shoulder fatigue, pitching with the GCL Astros on a Minor League rehabilitation assignment.

Rival clubs interested in acquiring Whitley are sure to monitor his performance on Friday -- especially his control. Whitley has issued 18 walks in 26 innings this season overall. If he can’t show improved location, it’s difficult to envision him carrying significant value in a trade.

The Astros are looking for a starting pitcher on the trade market, but they may have difficulty assembling the best offer in a competitive negotiation, since Whitley’s value has dropped while fellow pitching prospect Corbin Martin will miss more than one year with Tommy John surgery.

On ESPN:

The Houston Astros are not happy about scheduling that has them making a quick turnaround ahead of Friday night's home game against the Texas Rangers.

The Astros played the final game of their series against the Los Angeles Angelson Thursday night. The team was estimated to arrive back in Houston about 5:15 a.m. CT -- only 14 hours prior to first pitch for Friday's game.

"To censor myself, it's BS. I don't think one person is happy about the night game travel," Astros outfielder Josh Reddick told the Houston Chronicle. "I think it's a complete misjudgment on how they make a schedule. It's absurd, really.

"Look at us, we don't do that to anyone. We don't ever give them a [getaway day] night game unless it's Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. It makes no sense. It really makes no sense. A lot of guys aren't happy about it, myself included. It's going to be a long day, but this is what we get paid to do. We suck it up and hopefully take it as a little spark to fire us up."

The Astros lead the AL West by 5.5 games over the Oakland Athletics after Thursday's 6-2 win over the Angels. The Rangers are 10 games back in third.

Astros manager A.J. Hinch said Justin Verlander flew back to Houston early ahead of his scheduled start against the Rangers on Friday.

"It'll be brutal," Hinch said of the quick turnaround. "It's one of those things that I hope they address in the next CBA ...

"It's on our schedule. We're going to play, and we need to win. We're going to play our normal guys [Friday], and I'll address any sort of rest over the weekend."

It's because he will be

As he should be.

Such a Biggio vibe with him (sans position change).
Both leadoff hitters. Both NE guys. NY vs CT. Sunshine Kids vs SAY
George will be 1 year older than Biggio was if he hits free agency.

If he has the rock bottom slumps figured out, go give him a Blackmon or Upton-like deal and lock him up through his mid-30s

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

From facebook:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story, Jenn, it made our day! Just one of the MANY reasons we love working with the amazing George Springer! 

We live in Southern California, and wanted to share a story about George Springer. My son just turned 6, and he has been managing a stutter for a few years now. He never lets it get him down, but nonetheless, doesn’t know anyone else who has one. He is a big Houston Astros fan, (even though we are in Angels territory!), and he recently learned that George Springer stutters and does work with your organization. He has been genuinely excited to learn someone like that stutters, too. So off we went, two nights in a row to the Angels vs Astros game in Anaheim to try to meet Springer. Tonight he saw my son with his poster, came over and talked to him for several minutes and told him it is okay to stutter, autographed a baseball card and took photos, then went back into the dugout and came back to give my son a pair of his batting gloves. Others were commenting it was the nicest signing they’d ever seen a player do, and I agree. Springer gained some new fans tonight for sure, and definitely made a little boy’s night! Thank you, George Springer and SAY for all you do!
Jenn Harris Kelly

P.S. He slept in Springer’s batting gloves all night 😍

67401862_10156600375837998_2804624703828

67709776_10156600375872998_8181585512566

66987299_10156600375847998_1314430378223

gettin dusty in this office 

• Like 1

btw, as someone who goes to 2-3 angels/astros games per year (all on the road, obv) i can tell you that this group especially is very responsive to the visiting fans near the dugout.  the "friends and family" section is appropriately above the astros dugout, and a ton of astros fans always congregate there before and even during the game (in between innings when kids run down the aisles).  and if the guys are warming up, or wandering around near the railing, they're always mixing it up with folks in astros gear - i've overheard full conversations.

i'm sure it's harder at home when everybody wants a piece, but you can really see their personalities come out on the road - obviously it helps when you're up 11-2 and everyone is happy and chilling.

a few years ago when we were right up front, the wife got colby rasmus to sign a ball for her (i haven't had the heart to tell her he no longer plays for us).  then, the following year, we had the same great seats, and she got into an ongoing conversation with gary pettis that must've lasted 5-6 innings.  he was so nice and hilarious, and didn't get shitty about the fact that she was bugging him forever.  she really wanted another ball - but she wanted springer to sign it.  springer wasn't starting that game, so he was lurking around, and it seemed actually possible (although they're not officially supposed to sign balls and throw them to fans).

anyhow, as the game got later, it was close, and springer came in to ph.  he walked, and then promptly got picked off first (shocking i know).  anyhow, mrs g was like, "oh good, he's coming back, maybe i can-" and i was like, "yeah, i'm gonna stop you right there.  if he was in a good mood before, he isn't right now, so let's back off."  but she persisted with pettis, and wasn't leaving without a signed ball.  and so finally, around the 8th inning, she got her ball.  signed by gary pettis.

i'm sure i told that story on the old board, but it's still one of my favorites.  we got a great bunch, right down to the clubbies and the coaching staff.

now let's go fuck up those guys from arlington.

• Like 3

My csb autograph story isn’t as cool as HG’s but my photo timeline tells me 3 years ago today my little dude got Bregman’s autograph in Round Rock. (Makes me want to take him back tonight and get Correa’s.)

I remember, depending on who you were to believe, Breg’s was supposed to make his Astros debut the next day but then opened his month about it being against an “A” team and they left him in Fresno another week.

b9f755a92abff845ebce52b45370aaa5.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

god i hate our lineups vs lefties.

brantley hitting .320 this season vs lhp.

reddick hitting .343 this season vs lhp.

kemp hitting .286 this season vs lhp.

i get marisnick, for defense when jv pitches, but this is ridiculous.

on this note, im damn tired of hearing we need a long start because the bullpen is tired / over extended / over used / .........

We have Armenteros listed as Sunday's starter and TBD for tomorrow.  Sneed was optioned on July 12, so he's not eligible to come back up yet.  Urquidy went down on the 8th, so he's eligible but I think I'm good there.  Any other guesses?  I haven't heard an update on Peacock.  I wish they would start to stretch out McHugh or even James.

Edited by WBT