2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I’m impressed Luhnow was able to work a deal for White after the DFA.

He has practically zero leverage right?

The only leverage he has is a team with a good record near the bottom of the waiver order (like the Dodgers) wanting him and knowing White wouldn’t fall that far so you (Dodgers) offer up an AA guy and hope he (Luhnow) bites.

Actually kinda smart the more I think about it and gotta think Luhnow is attempting the same with Kemp. I don’t like the idea of Kemp going to a contender this year, though.

I can’t believe they didn’t punt another week or so and send Straw down and see if more injuries popped up that could keep Kemp on the 25 man until Sept 1.

Spurring good teams to get into a bit of a bidding war on Kemp is the only play I can think of to do this now. It may mean getting a better deal than waiting until the offseason when there is probably less incentive for teams to want to deal for Kemp.

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m impressed Luhnow was able to work a deal for White after the DFA.

He has practically zero leverage right?

The only leverage he has is a team with a good record near the bottom of the waiver order (like the Dodgers) wanting him and knowing White wouldn’t fall that far so you (Dodgers) offer up an AA guy and hope he (Luhnow) bites.

Actually kinda smart the more I think about it and gotta think Luhnow is attempting the same with Kemp. I don’t like the idea of Kemp going to a contender this year, though.

I can’t believe they didn’t punt another week or so and send Straw down and see if more injuries popped up that could keep Kemp on the 25 man until Sept 1.

Spurring good teams to get into a bit of a bidding war on Kemp is the only play I can think of to do this now. It may mean getting a better deal than waiting until the offseason when there is probably less incentive for teams to want to deal for Kemp.

Regarding Kemp, there is a good chance he could be included for a deal involving a SP or reliever.

58 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah that’s much hunch as well.
There is a longer game to this that Luhnow already has in play
No way Luhnow is running the risk of giving away Kemp for nothing over ~30 days

This.

Astros fans on Twitter seem unified about Kemp, he's incredibly popular and everyone is upset about him getting DFA'd. But few of them are thinking clearly right now and seeing what is likely to happen and you guys nailed it. 

There's a snowball's chance in hell Luhnow lets him go to another team without anything in return. Kemp is getting traded, probably along with some minor league prospects, and we're getting pitching help in return. Book it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This.

Astros fans on Twitter seem unified about Kemp, he's incredibly popular and everyone is upset about him getting DFA'd. But few of them are thinking clearly right now and seeing what is likely to happen and you guys nailed it. 

There's a snowball's chance in hell Luhnow lets him go to another team without anything in return. Kemp is getting traded, probably along with some minor league prospects, and we're getting pitching help in return. Book it. 

I'm still allowed to be sad about Kemp leaving.

• Like 1

trucker hat update:

this has consumed most of my day and i know way too much about this process already.

it looks like it's going to be cheaper to order the hats blank from a 3rd party source, then take them to a local screen printer near here in culver city.  the 2 places i was looking at online were 24-36 minimum and were gonna run about $18-$20 a hat before shipping.  fuck that noise.

also i really wanted a nissun brand hat, because i know they're made well (taiwan holler) and fit me right (fuck the rest of you).

so today i'm ordering 12 orange/white and 12 navy/white nissun blanks.  they should be here in a week or so.

i also have the culver city spot doing a rendering for me, using the logo from my old hat.  it's too expensive to do 2 different logos, but if i use the same logo, it's no additional moneys to change the hat color.  also it's local, so no ridiculous shipping costs.

i think for 24 hats it'll end up being around $280 which is reasonable.  obviously if you guys want to help me defray some of the costs, i'll allow it.  once i get the rendering, i'll post it.

It is interesting how Luhnow is timing this decision. He could have optioned Straw in order to activate Correa. That would have given him some extra time to make the decision on Kemp. Sometime in August he would have had to DFA Kemp anyway when adjusting the roster from 12 to 13 pitchers. I guess it doesn't change the Astros trade leverage in any way because teams already knew Kemp and Straw would have to be removed from the roster to move to 13 pitchers.

No, he is fully out of options for any ML team.

Yeah. A player’s “options” are specific to the player, not to the team that may happen to hold him at various points in his career.

MLB.com has a pretty good glossary on stuff like this. Clicking the link below, I learned that next year, if you’re optioned back to the minors, you have to stay down for 15 days instead of the 10 we all know and love right now. We’d have been even more screwed this month if that had been in effect this season.
http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

Sometime in August he would have had to DFA Kemp anyway when adjusting the roster from 12 to 13 pitchers. I guess it doesn't change the Astros trade leverage in any way because teams already knew Kemp and Straw would have to be removed from the roster to move to 13 pitchers.

I think you’re wrong on trade leverage.
See my post a little farther up. After July 31, Luhnow has no leverage in a DFA because of the one trade deadline this year.

Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong on my thinking about all of this, but I think DFA’ing Kemp today actually brings in more potential trade partners. Seems like a good last gasp way to stimulate the market if your only other choice is to lose him for nothing in a few weeks.
A team with a good record can’t sit back and hope he falls to them on the waiver wire so they are going to potentially bring more to the table now to avoid him going to another team. Then you (Luhnow) take that to the shitty teams and say “I’ve got a deal in hand. He won’t be there for you on the waiver wire. Give me player x/y/z if you want him”
The risk for Luhnow is that you trade him to a contender this year who comes back to haunt you in October.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

It is interesting how Luhnow is timing this decision. He could have optioned Straw in order to activate Correa. That would have given him some extra time to make the decision on Kemp. Sometime in August he would have had to DFA Kemp anyway when adjusting the roster from 12 to 13 pitchers. I guess it doesn't change the Astros trade leverage in any way because teams already knew Kemp and Straw would have to be removed from the roster to move to 13 pitchers.

Wasn't the 40-man roster full following White's DFA and Diaz's activation? If so, optioning Straw would not have opened up a spot in the 40 man, and Correa would not be able to be activated. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

Wasn't the 40-man roster full following White's DFA and Diaz's activation? If so, optioning Straw would not have opened up a spot in the 40 man, and Correa would not be able to be activated. 

We were at 39 after the Diaz activation and the White DFA.

Correa was going to bring us back to 40 had Kemp not been DFA’ed.

Optioning Straw would have done nothing to the 40 man, just shifted him off of the 25