2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Wasn't the 40-man roster full following White's DFA and Diaz's activation? If so, optioning Straw would not have opened up a spot in the 40 man, and Correa would not be able to be activated. 

No. Diaz never left the 40 man roster. Tomorrow we’ll be at 39, leaving a spot open for a trade addition.  

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I think you’re wrong on trade leverage.
See my post a little farther up. After July 31, Luhnow has no leverage in a DFA because of the one trade deadline this year.

Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong on my thinking about all of this, but I think DFA’ing Kemp today actually brings in more potential trade partners. Seems like a good last gasp way to stimulate the market if your only other choice is to lose him for nothing in a few weeks.
A team with a good record can’t sit back and hope he falls to them on the waiver wire so they are going to potentially bring more to the table now to avoid him going to another team. Then you (Luhnow) take that to the shitty teams and say “I’ve got a deal in hand. He won’t be there for you on the waiver wire. Give me player x/y/z if you want him”
The risk for Luhnow is that you trade him to a contender this year who comes back to haunt you in October.

What I meant is that it would seem the Astros would have more leverage if Kemp was still on the roster.

Kemp would appear to be more valuable because the Astros wouldn't HAVE to trade him.

After the DFA, teams know the Astros have to trade him, therefore they can get him at a discount. They may even get him for free if the Astros can't trade him.

However, and what I tried to explain earlier, Luhnow probably figured teams could already determine that by looking at the Astros roster and knowing that he would lose Kemp anyway in August when the Astros are going to need 13 pitchers so that is why he DFA'd Kemp now.

Addition after edit

I think you make a good point about DFAing Kemp may actually increase the leverage.

Edited by BornOrange
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Right. Optioning Straw, even if just to buy time, doesn't solve the 40-man issue. The DFA of Kemp is some indication that the teams expects to make a trade. 

Kemp doesn't solve anything with the 40 man. It's at 39 right now... He is being DFA'd for Correa who will take his spot because Correa was on the 60 day IL. 

Kemp doesn't solve anything with the 40 man. It's at 39 right now... He is being DFA'd for Correa who will take his spot because Correa was on the 60 day IL. 

If I’m reading you post correctly, you’re wrong. White DFA took it to 39. Kemp DFA to 38. Correa activation back to 39.

12 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

At 39 now. If they had elected to option Straw and activate Correa, they go to 40 on 40-man, leaving no room for a player acquired via trade unless they trade/DFA someone on the 40. By DFA'ing Kemp, the 40-man stays at 39, and they can add a player acquired via trade without having trade or DFA someone on the 40 (e.g. JBB and Beer for ???).

At one point, I thought optioning Straw, even for just one week, might help in dealing with issues leading up to 7/31, but as others have said, DFA'ing Kemp actually gives Astros more leverage in trading him and helps with the 40-man issues, should a trade take place

Edited by Jacob McCandles

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If I’m reading you post correctly, you’re wrong. White DFA took it to 39. Kemp DFA to 38. Correa activation back to 39.

I stand corrected. I misread the post I quoted regarding the 40 man issue. 

Worst deadline trades

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/Buster201907251/revisiting-worst-deadline-trade-your-team-ever-made

Overall the Astros have made out better than worse...

Initially when I read the article I was thinking Joe Morgan & Kenny Lofton were worse trades but then I realized I cannot read as neither was traded at the deadline.

• Like 1

Marc Carig of The Athletic gets the "impression" the Mets will seek a Top 30 prospect and a "couple of other solid pieces" in a trade for Noah Syndergaard.

This comes on the heels of Buster Olney's report that the Mets are "fully intent" on moving Syndergaard ahead of Wednesday's trade deadline. The 26-year-old is in the midst of arguably his worst season but anyone expecting the Mets to sell low on their prized right-hander would be mistaken. New York is understandably asking a lot for the ace, though with Madison Bumgarner and Trevor Bauer likely staying put, Thor might be the best arm available right now. With rumors swirling, it's becoming more and more likely that Wednesday's start against the Padres was Syndergaard's New York swan song.

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Mets are "fully intent" on dealing Noah Syndergaard ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.

At least that's what Olney is hearing from "rival evaluators." One source even implied that Syndergaard's departure was a done deal, telling Olney, "It's beyond listening. They want to move him." At one point in time it seemed like contract-year hurler Zack Wheeler was a goner but now the Mets seem more keen on trading Thor, who has pitched to a relatively disappointing 4.26 ERA in his 20 starts this season. The 26-year-old is arguably among the most talented right arms in baseball, though he hasn't quite lived up to his full potential in New York. A change of scenery might be just what he needs. Obviously the Mets aren't going to part with Syndergaard without getting back a king's ransom.

Edited by henrygandorf

Go strong and put it out there for Syndergaard.  With what the Astros do for pitchers, the team control, and with Cole likely leaving after this season?  Have to do it.

Miley is FA as well. Who knows what you’ll get with McCullers. Our 2020 payroll will limit who we can go after in the offseason. This is almost a do at any cost deal.

I'm willing to trade Ted if we get dominant Thor. Honestly if we get dominant Thor we should push all the chips in this off-season, give Cole his deal and try to win two more rings with JV/Cole/Thor being this decade's Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

If it takes Tucker, I say no.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Id definitely trade Whitley at this point. Id rather hang on to Tucker

Same, same.  Selling low on Whitley would hurt though.

10 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:
1 hour ago, formermav43 said:
If it takes Tucker, I say no.

Flags fly forever

More flags>fewer flags. Tucker is a key to that. And I’m not convinced Syndergaard (he hasn’t been “Thor” for 3 years) moves the needle that much on one this year anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

More flags>fewer flags. Tucker is a key to that. And I’m not convinced Syndergaard (he hasn’t been “Thor” for 3 years) moves the needle that much on one this year anyway.

Who are you advocating we go get, or roll with Miley as our 3rd gun? Tucker can hit, we think.

8 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Or Tucker becomes the next AJ Reed instead of Bregman, especially when you have stacked up corner bats and have shown the penchant to go out a sign veteran corner bats.

Syndergaard is projected to have 1.5-1.7 more WAR this season, and solves a real problem on this team moving forward past this season, proven MLB starting pitching under team control.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, Mez2 said:

Who are you advocating we go get, or roll with Miley as our 3rd gun? Tucker can hit, we think.

I think they clearly need another SP given all the injuries. I don’t think that necessarily needs to be TOR guy given Verlander/Cole and the asking price in a seller’s market. I know it’s unsatisfying from a fan’s big splash perspective, but they can win a WS by making a marginal upgrade, and I think that’s a smarter long term play.

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I think they clearly need another SP given all the injuries. I don’t think that necessarily needs to be TOR guy given Verlander/Cole and the asking price in a seller’s market. I know it’s unsatisfying from a fan’s big splash perspective, but they can win a WS by making a marginal upgrade, and I think that’s a smarter long term play.

Why not, what if Verlander or Cole get hurt? What is your fascination with not wanting the absolute best team in baseball given that Tucker isn't a 100% sure thing.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

What are the marginal upgrade options? 

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Why not, what if Verlander or Cole get hurt? What is your fascination with not wanting the absolute best team in baseball given that Tucker isn't a 100% sure thing.

I think they’ll have the best team in baseball anyway (acquiring Syndergaard isn’t a 100% sure thing to guarantee that either, by the way). And they can maintain that status longer by hanging on to Tucker. My “fascination” is with winning more than just this year.

Not sure why a simple difference of opinion causes such hostile responses. But I’m glad the front office generally balances long and short term concerns instead of mortgaging the future for a single title.

Edited by formermav43