2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, HoustonFrog said:

So is the prospect cupboard basically empty after Tucker and Whitley? Do we officially have a window of opportunity now?

I think they still have a number of guys on the pitching side who look like potential big leaguers. The position player side is thinner, though. 

There was getting to be a glut of pitching prospects that needed to be cleared out between AA and AAA.  Yuli is still signed for next year, so they have time to figure out 1st base.  Rojas doesn't have a place to play, so he has no effect on the Astros' plans.  It works out for both teams.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You do whatever to win a title THIS year and worry about "two years from now" later.

Actually, the reason Luhnow is so good at this, is because he balances immediate and long term concerns. They just improved this team, without giving up either of their 2 best prospects, and mitigated against losing Cole for next year.

He’s trying to win a title now AND two years from now.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You do whatever to win a title THIS year and worry about "two years from now" later.

No you don't

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think the Stros just passed the Dodgers for odds on favs to win it all.

Nah, I think it's still harder going through the AL.  There's no Yankees equivalent that the Dodgers have to get through.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:03 PM, Scraps said:

Yep...mentioned before but id rather have Greinke.

I don't want to be locked into Cole for the # of yrs he is gonna get.

Plus I personally don't think he is gonna sign here....I think a team like SD is gonna throw stupid money at him

roll back to 7/6 

I got massive wood at the moment.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 8:54 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

We talked about this before the season, but I wonder if Grienke will be available this month, and if the club would have any interest?

Cons: he's old (almost 36) and he's owed a lot of money (I think north of $65 million over next 2 years)

Pros: he's still good (3.20, 3.21, 2.73 ERA in 2017-19; 3.34, 3.44, 3.61 xFIP); if acquired, we'd have 2 full years for him to compliment JV, plus give you a front 3 of J/Cole/Grienke this year; he profiles as a guy that should age fairly well.

AZ is only a game under .500, so not sure if they'd move him...but they're buried in that division, so at best they're playing for a 1-game wild card berth. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting rid of that salary, and they seem unlikely to challenge the Dodgers in the next couple of seasons (plus, Grienke figures to have declining value over the remainder of the contract). 

Obviously, if AZ wanted top-end prospects, they'd have to eat some of the money. Like, if they wanted Tucker, I'd be open to that, provided that they pay it down some. 

I think the team will be looking for a guy that has some years left to fill the likely vacancy Cole will leave after the season. I ordinarily wouldn't be interested in an older guy like Grienke but we have a window here so it makes some sense. 

Damn, Chinaski!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

So is the prospect cupboard basically empty after Tucker and Whitley? Do we officially have a window of opportunity now?

It's getting thin.  On the hitter side we still have Toro, Dawson, Lee and Brewer from this year's draft, and Nova but he's pretty far away.

26 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah, we've got to win the next 3 W.S. then when JV and Greinke retire we've got spend that money on two more aces.  

We've really got to maximize these next 7 seasons or so before the offense gets old.