2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

59 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Before y’all start df’aing reddick and yuli, let’s make sure tucker can hit mlb pitching. His first look did not go well. After about a week in he looked completely lost at the plate.

Right...we won't know until he gets a chance. So 3 things could happen:

(1) Tucker could get that chance next year if we move Reddick, while we still have Springer/Brantley/Marisnick (and Alvarez and Straw) to fall back on; or

(2) Maintain status quo and Tucker can spend a third year in AAA and we can go into 2021, after losing all of our other OFs in free agency, penciling him in as an everyday OF with no idea whatsoever whether he can play; or 

(3) Trade Tucker either in-season or in the offseason (to patch up the rotation, for example).

To me, option 2 makes the least amount of sense. Thus, we either move Reddick (who is just OK and has 1 more year) or Tucker (who might be better than OK and has several more years) after the season (or move Tucker in an in-season trade). But it makes almost no sense to go into 2020 with both of them. 

As for Tucker - he had 72 PAs last year - absolutely nothing can be learned from that. He may not ultimately make it, but his first 72 PAs don't really tell us anything about how likely he is to excel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Geezus ... I’m missing something.

All of the gut wrenching over Yuli and Reddick .. who actually contribute .. and nothing wondering why the whole damn organization hasn’t produced a backup 1B better than that blob of double 🍔.

I must have some form of an attention disorder. 

Oh, I'm with you - 1B is a problem, both the starter and the backup. Jon Singleton and AJ Reed were both top-50 prospects once upon a time. They both turned out to be quad-A guys. Reddick isn't a problem, just may not be a good fit on next year's roster. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Michigan OF Jordan Brewer, Astros’ 3rd-rd pick is flying to Houston on Sunday, will sign Monday. “I’m beyond excited,” he said. “I can’t even put it into words right now. It’s going to be really fun, really cool. A new chapter of my life is starting and it’s going to be awesome.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvm96 said:

I'm with Hinch 

Hinch really does do anything during the games. All his players have the green light to steal and bunt(that comes from Garner). He never calls anything. He is a computer that takes input from the analytics department and can't adapt during the actual games. Once the starting pitcher gets to around 80 pitches, a subroutine inside him kicks off to get ready to take said starting pitcher out of the game.

It works when your team is hot and hitting a lot of HRs, it also makes the team look like the 2016 version when the team goes cold.

This is what I don't understand, if you want to build your team around hitting HR's, then you should probably have a lineup full of guys that can hit 25+ HRs. Even when healthy you have 3-4 guys that might hit that number combined.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Hell yes, but the Nationals are over .500 and 1.5 games out of the wild card. They aren't trading Scherzer unless they start losing a lot very soon. 

Trade deadline is going to much different this year. Not only do you only have 11 teams under .500, only 2-3 of those teams have pitching you would want to acquire.

It's a very interesting year. You have 5 teams that have separating themselves playing above or near .600, and you have 5 teams playing below .400, then you have about 15 teams competing for 5 play off spots.

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Hinch really does do anything during the games. All his players have the green light to steal and bunt(that comes from Garner). He never calls anything. He is a computer that takes input from the analytics department and can't adapt during the actual games. Once the starting pitcher gets to around 80 pitches, a subroutine inside him kicks off to get ready to take said starting pitcher out of the game.

It works when your team is hot and hitting a lot of HRs, it also makes the team look like the 2016 version when the team goes cold.

This is what I don't understand, if you want to build your team around hitting HR's, then you should probably have a lineup full of guys that can hit 25+ HRs. Even when healthy you have 3-4 guys that might hit that number combined.

Your profile picture makes this post really funny 

when our stars are struggling or injured, we bitch about our role players.  gurriel and reddick are the sam cassell and mario elie of this team.  they should be hitting 7-8-9 (with robby c).

i do agree that reddick could easily get squeezed out in 2020 based on roster construction.

also i still think bumgarner is the target.  he's way cheaper (in both ways) and that gives us flexibility to resign springer or cole or whomever.  i also think he's the type (like jv) that can elevate his game for the postseason.  scherzer is a top 1-2 pitcher in mlb, but bumgarner has a track record of being a postseason hero.