Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

Some people are just out of touch with big-city high schools these days.  Or just big-city high schools in general.  It's nothing new in the MCU either to be "diverse"- check out Peter Parker's high school (before the blip).  Prayer is pretty serious among some Muslims  just like it is among some Christians.  

As for the gay/trans stuff, I had a couple of gay teachers and several gay classmates back in the 1980s in my high school (Houston suburbs) and we were diverse racially although our rivals (particularly motherfucking Clements) weren't always that much, due to economic/location issues.  The gay classmates and teaches were mostly not out of the closet, but it was an open secret for some (they are all out now, at least the ones I'm on Facebook with).  We probably would have had trans kids, but it was a struggle for gay kids back then to just be themselves as it was.

If you really want to bitch, the cast is full of 19/20-somethings playing high school kids, and we have 5 more episodes to setup The Marvels movie.

So is this a safe space to say that "Obi-Wan Kenobi" is Xena Warrior Princess level of terribad?   I know that saying such a thing will give rise to accusations of racism, sexism, etc, but holy shit Disney has some problems and it has nothing to do with diversity.  The villain on the show is some of the worst acting seen outside of "Highlander: The Series".  And she can act, as she proved in "The Queen's Gambit".  So maybe it's the writing, direction, etc.    I believe I read that execs stepped in and stopped production mid-shoot because they thought it was "too dark".   What we ended up getting was a hamfisted cartoon.

"The Mandalorian" could get away with some of the low rent production value at times given its episodic nature (hell it is basically a modern era Xena or Highlander), but the Kenobi series should have been handled more seriously, in my opinion. Instead they wasted a legacy character.  The whole thing feels like every other film or series where executives interfere too much and you end up with something that has no clear vision.  Make it fun or make it high quality.   They managed to do neither.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

the Kenobi series should have been handled more seriously, in my opinion. Instead they wasted a legacy character. 

100% this.  I'm not going to criticize the show, b/c I love anything Star Wars, but Obi-Wan series should be their best work since the original trilogy.  That should be their bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

100% this.  I'm not going to criticize the show, b/c I love anything Star Wars, but Obi-Wan series should be their best work since the original trilogy.  That should be their bar.

I just want new stuff. 

Andor should be really interesting, because it's based on one movie (Rogue One) and it's not going to be Jedi ninja pew pew laser stuff with a bunch of Skywalkers. 

Is there a Disney property they won't revive?

I was watching some Home Improvement nostalgia videos last night, and then got curious about some Santa Claus rumors last year for another movie.

And then saw they are taking Tim Allen's Santa Claus movies and making a Disney+ series out of them.  My kids will be happy.  Production started a few months ago, so I'm guessing they are planning a December release.

Scott Calvin is on the brink of his 65th birthday and realizing that he can’t be Santa forever. He’s starting to lose a step in his Santa duties, and more importantly, he’s got a family who could benefit from a life in the normal world, especially his two kids who have grown up at the Pole. With a lot of elves, children, and family to please, Scott sets out to find a suitable replacement Santa while preparing his family for a new adventure in a life south of the pole

They are bringing everybody back it seems, including Elizabeth Mitchell drool.gif

And damn, Tim is pushing 70, I feel kinda old.

Ms. Marvel has been great.  On par with WV and Loki as far as originality of story.  

I like that they are really diving into the culture.  Kinda weird that they jumped into an Eid celebration with no indication that previous events were happening during Ramadan.  Or maybe I missed something.  Anyway… still cool to see it.  Loved the discussion of how their parents/grandparents were huge Kingo fans.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Ms. Marvel has been great.  On par with WV and Loki as far as originality of story.  

I like that they are really diving into the culture.  Kinda weird that they jumped into an Eid celebration with no indication that previous events were happening during Ramadan.  Or maybe I missed something.  Anyway… still cool to see it.  Loved the discussion of how their parents/grandparents were huge Kingo fans.  

I liked that reference too! 

Also the callback to Nat/Clint "you have to let me go" 

Edited by Js1

Saw in the comments of one of the YouTube recaps that the Eid shown in this episode is Eid-ul-Azha, which happens during the month of Hajj, not Eid-ul-Fitr, which occurs at the end of Ramadan.  So that explains why Ramadan was never mentioned and no one was fasting.  

Is there a setting on d+ to make the volume output higher? Netflix, Amazon, hbo, PlayStation and everything else I put the volume on 15-25. D+ I turn it up to 45 and still have trouble hearing it. And it doesn’t get louder after about 45

• Rage+1 1

2nd episode of Ms Marvel was really solid. I had to watch the Screencrush video about all the Easter Eggs to get the Bollywood references. They are doing a great job at creating a grounded, well written show that's about as close to a comic jumping off the page as has been done so far in the MCU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/13/2022 at 3:32 PM, Samson's Wig said:

So is this a safe space to say that "Obi-Wan Kenobi" is Xena Warrior Princess level of terribad?   I know that saying such a thing will give rise to accusations of racism, sexism, etc, but holy shit Disney has some problems and it has nothing to do with diversity. 

i'm sure this place is safe enough, but you'll have a better discussion on the obi-wan thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Is there a setting on d+ to make the volume output higher? Netflix, Amazon, hbo, PlayStation and everything else I put the volume on 15-25. D+ I turn it up to 45 and still have trouble hearing it. And it doesn’t get louder after about 45

It's very frustrating.

2 hours ago, rantanamo said:

Surprised Ms Marvel isn't getting more love.  The show its actual well done,and it actual feels like a genuine earthbound superhero origin story. 

Lots of streaming stuff taking up nerd time. Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. plus stuff in theaters - Lightyear, Jurassic Park, Top Gun, etc.

Hell, I’m still behind on Obi-Wan.  

And Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is hitting Disney+ this coming Wednesday.

But also what Buzzrock said. Minor character that’s new.

Minor character, no big name star (Moon Knight drew due to issac), and it is geared toward a slightly younger audience. My 10 yo old girl loves it, and I’m happy to have something in the MU she’s exited about to watch with her. Beats the hell out of how to train your dragon that she really likes (the Netflix tv series, movies are good)

Edited by UT_OB1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Kids were visiting the grandparents, so just watched ep3. Good episode and good show. Surly demographics probably not aligned with the target audience otherwise it might have its own thread. 

I’m liking this one the most out of all of them, actually 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, UT_OB1 said:

On 6/17/2022 at 8:39 PM, David Dennison said:

It's very frustrating.

Same whether on Roku, Android, etc.

I’m wondering if it’s because they know a lot of kids are watching it with headphones on and keep the volume low on purpose, in case they have shitty headphones, or headphones that aren’t volume-limited.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 6/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Kids were visiting the grandparents, so just watched ep3. Good episode and good show. Surly demographics probably not aligned with the target audience otherwise it might have its own thread. 

On 6/29/2022 at 9:27 PM, Js1 said:

I’m liking this one the most out of all of them, actually 

Great-Grandma Aisha….

2175289-mehwishpsl-1584085783.jpg

Tex Avery Vintage Animation GIF

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

AHH AHH THEY SAID IT!!

Reveal hidden contents

Mutants! 

Spoiler

Yes, very interesting if this is how they introduce mutants to the MCU. Also, I guess The Marvels is going to be a nod to the 80s adult/kid body switch movies? 

On 7/17/2022 at 7:57 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Watched the flick Rise. About nba greek freak.

i liked it. Got me in the feels when it ended and we got real footage of mvp speech. Got hella dusty

Yes. Posted on the wrong thread probably, but to repost:

Rise, the Disney + Giannis Antetokounmpo biopic.

Really good, really schmaltzy, but also family friendly with a good message and story. 10/10 for family movie nights with tween kids or young basketball fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, a Percy Jackson series that is actually getting the age right.  I've been impressed with the staying power of the Percy Jackson series.

Has the potential to be their Harry Potter with the right cast and money, with multiple offshoots (the Romans, the Egyptians, the Celts, the Norse series) and how they intersect.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Has the potential to be their Harry Potter with the right cast and money, with multiple offshoots (the Romans, the Egyptians, the Celts, the Norse series) and how they intersect.

Our oldest got into them last year in third grade, and he’s devoured them, as have a lot of kids we know in that age range, as well as the offshoots, and he’s begging us to send him to the Camp Halfblood thing here in Austin next year.  They sold out this year I believe, and sell out most years.

I heard somewhere that Riordan shopped the book series around to a ton of publishers until Disney/Hyperion picked it up, so this is basically an in-house IP for Disney.

• 1 month later...

not sure why. but i binge the heck out of Big Shot Sn 2 . this weekend - i liked it.

I couldn't find anything about Big Shot Sn 1 in here..... and i watched that as each episode dropped.- i swear i thought i posted something about it already... oh well.

John Stamos coaches HS girls basketball. 

Disney+ Announces Big Shot Season 2

awesome - can't feel bad. most of the main chicks are in the 20 range

sara echeagaray - @saraecheagaray - @sofiaecheagaray, @waltercollection,  @ryanpatrosofficial | Instagram Analytics by Analisa.io

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Drool 1