Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

They were up close and personal with the Rose Window. One interesting nugget is that stained glass is only made up of glass from the 13th century and the 19th century. There was no updated/renovated glass in that window for more than 500 years.

I took it that the 19th century renovations removed all other years glass except what was original 13th century and then remade panels for those pieces and that was why only glass from those two era’s.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
6 hours ago, 27-25 said:
Great video.  Still not a fan of using lead for the roof again.  I realize they want to maintain historical accuracy.  But lead in this day and age?  I would draw the line there.

What's wrong with lead roofing?

Runoff contains lead

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

does the runoff contain enough lead to cause concern?  i hadn't heard of issues with the old roof but maybe all the lead had leached out over 700 years?

The video above mentioned the problem with lead dust.  It's one of the things holding up other restoration work.  I read elsewhere that the powers that be who decided to go with a lead roof to maintain historical consistency boasted that the new runoff system will have some mechanism in place to catch and filter water.

So everyone seems to agree that lead is a health problem.  There is a slight runoff risk that will be mitigated.  The fire showed there is a great lead dust risk should another fire break out.

We don't generally insist on asbestos when renovating structures that used that in the past.  Historical accuracy should have limits of some kind.

12 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
12 hours ago, 27-25 said:
Great video.  Still not a fan of using lead for the roof again.  I realize they want to maintain historical accuracy.  But lead in this day and age?  I would draw the line there.

What's wrong with lead roofing?

Nothing.  We use lead all the time in roofing.   

Lead roof drain liners, lead-coated copper, lead soaker sheets, lead soil vent covers, lead transition details and lead in solder.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Nothing.  We use lead all the time in roofing.   

Lead roof drain liners, lead-coated copper, lead soaker sheets, lead soil vent covers, lead transition details and lead in solder.  

Yes, but now you're a drooling moron who frequently pisses himself.

I mean, I assume that's the case, since you're a Surly poster.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, but now you're a drooling moron who frequently pisses himself.

I mean, I assume that's the case, since you're a Surly poster.....

Being a drooling moron was a prerequisite for entry into the roofing industry and not an effect of being in it and around lead. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, luke duke said:

dfa82c6b0ead9ccf561571624d9f049b.jpg

It's from our Bag O'-line.  (adjusts tie), you know the kids love this.  Bag O'-Lead Paint Chips.  You know?  The kids learn about heavy metals, periodic table, what-not.  It's great, ya' know ? (adjusts tie).  Look, we're just packaging what the kids want.