Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You know this means that if you decide to join the design competition, you're now obligated to show it to us here on surly.

If I win y'all will be the first to be notified....  Already started a bit of research on the topic. Lots of factors, history, iconography, symbolism (religious and cultural), structural systems, cost, materials, style.  The new spire should say something thru symbolism about the fire.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So the question is:  

Is this a slavish historical restoration or do they re build using modern technology, materials, and re interpretive design concepts  ?  I'm not really sure I wanna see a Disneyesque recreation. I want to know what's original/old and what's post fire.

The main stone structure seems to have escaped structural failure, but I'm betting the heat has caused undiscovered issues.  What do they do with the roof ?  The long span timbers, and shaped bents needed on that roof aren't just laying around. Where does one source the acres of timber you'd need to reconstruct just the complex roof.

Architects can be annoying.  So simply rebuilding what was there is sniffed at as 'Disneyesque'?  So hoi polloi.  The kind of attitude that wants to replace Storm Trooper white with Oregon style abominations.

Thank goodness Frank Gehry isn't French.

cleveland-clinic-lou-ruvo-center-for-bra

Edited by clapclapclap

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

This is why many hate architects.  So simply rebuilding what was there is sniffed at as 'Disneyesque'?  So hoi polloi.  The kind of attitude that wants to replace Storm Trooper white with Oregon style abominations.

Thank goodness Frank Gehry isn't French.

cleveland-clinic-lou-ruvo-center-for-bra

No, that's not what I mean. I don't want to walk into a historical site and see a slavish recreation of a building that once stood there.  Using the style, language, materials, and scale are all things to be considered when renovations and or additions to old structures are designed.  Providing visual cues that they aren't original, but still compliment and maintain the original design intent is part of the challenge.

In most residential historical districts they discourage and sometime flat out reject slavishly carried out additions and renovations to older homes that make it impossible to tell old from new.  I work on a few of these each year. Maintaining an architectural fabric that speaks to the original structure, but allows for a modern interpretation to clearly define old from new is what they want typically.  

On 4/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, BlueGreySky said:

The tower is close to 4 miles away from Notre Dame.   That seems shopped.

Check out Eiffel's assistant's first sketch of the Tower.  Looks pretty much to scale, judging by this (Notre Dame is on bottom right)!

Maurice_koechlin_pylone.jpg

1 hour ago, LongestHorn said:

Let's start by making the two towers of the cathedral the same size as the one on the right is clearly smaller.

Notre-Dame-de-Paris-04-%C2%A9-French-Mom

That's by design.  Almost every cathedral is like that.  The towers are designed to be asymmetrical.  Do you know why?

Edit in case my sarcasm meter needs adjustment...

Edited by phdhorn

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

so CM2Hill is in charge of rebuilding already? 

Probably.  I just saw an article where the City of Austin did this big expensive study of changing some city agency and among the recommendations is that it would need to change 240 light bulbs, but that it would take a year and cost a few thousand dollars.  No question they got the original Notre Dame contract... maybe they're working with CM2Hill and should have it done by 6743... if Jesus isn't fed up with the project and comes back first.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If I win y'all will be the first to be notified....  Already started a bit of research on the topic. Lots of factors, history, iconography, symbolism (religious and cultural), structural systems, cost, materials, style.  The new spire should say something thru symbolism about the fire.

If you work in some 4loko imagery it might help your cause. I think it used to be the official beverage of the 4th arrondissement. 

Inevitable... First Official "I See Jeeezusssss In The Fire!!!11!" pic.  Lady claims to see Our Lord and Savior hanging around the conflagration, twit-ters blowz up "Yes YES I SEE HIM!!!"  The Second Person of the Triune God in the red circle:

aW1hZ2VfdXJpPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGcy55aW1n

Maybe, but he seems like His head is 21 sizes too small for that NBA Shawn Bradley corpus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No, that's not what I mean. I don't want to walk into a historical site and see a slavish recreation of a building that once stood there.  Using the style, language, materials, and scale are all things to be considered when renovations and or additions to old structures are designed.  Providing visual cues that they aren't original, but still compliment and maintain the original design intent is part of the challenge.

In most residential historical districts they discourage and sometime flat out reject slavishly carried out additions and renovations to older homes that make it impossible to tell old from new.  I work on a few of these each year. Maintaining an architectural fabric that speaks to the original structure, but allows for a modern interpretation to clearly define old from new is what they want typically.  

Why do you hate Slavs?