Israel

SmokeyBear1861

I'm skeptical. It's close to effectively impossible to end terror organizations militarily. You can kill most of them, maybe, but unless you remedy the conditions that caused them to form in the first place, you're not really accomplishing anything. I hope Israel can cripple them without too many more civilian casualties, but I am very skeptical. Wars on Terror don't really work out too well, as we should all well know as Americans.
Once Israel is finished with what they're doing, I'd bet some large amount of money is in the end all it will accomplish is Israel internally turning into a worse police state than it already is (as happened in post-9/11 America), more Palestinians dying, some % of them becoming even more radicalized, and the cycle repeating itself until one or both sides is wiped out.

So, you DO get it, and why I have zero faith in humanity. Welcome aboard.

32 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Now. Right now would be a very good time. This needs to be done. 

LOL. There have been lots of opportunities over the last decade+. The "Where is their Ghandi?" people were pretty fucking quiet around here when the IDF was shooting non-violent protesters at the Gaza border fences, they have been silent as a church mouse while settlers shot innocent palestinians in the WB and bulldoze their houses, and not a fucking peep with the IDF cold blooded murders a palestinian reporter, lies and obfuscates about it and nobody is held to account. The reality is that nobody gives a fuck.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

just hope this time the Palestinians take advantage of what was left instead of destroying it. I am talking about the farms, greenhouses, irrigation. 

That would require Israel to not repeat the strategy of total economic blockade and tactics such as closing down Karni in 2006 which made agriculture financially unviable. BUt tHosE aNimAls dEsTroYEd tHe beAuTiFuL tHInGs tHe eVer BEneVoLenT isRaElIs lEfT fOr THeM. 

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

(Edit:  @Captainant Interesting that you didn't address the other, more lengthy parts of my post and concentrated on one sentence.  Why?  What do you think will or should become of Hamas?)

I don't quite get your contradictory statements of wanting "truth and reconciliation", while also advocating for total annihilation. I think Hamas is going to be turned into meat paste, along with the women and children who have been living in an apartheid state in Gaza under Israel. 

I don't know what should happen. It's a bigger fucking conflict than any of us, and it's older than western society itself. But I do know that Israel running the US antiterrorism playbook isn't going to do dick to reduce terrorism. From observation, it seems to make for more fertile ground for more terrorists. Which seems counterproductive in the long term. 

If Bibi were intelligent, he’d unilaterally start removing settlements in the West Bank and start a charm offensive there to give more space and breathing room for a major offensive in Gaza and to fracture any budding unity on this issue. He’d have more cover internationally, too. 

He’s not smart, and his domestic constituency won’t allow him to do that. One thing notable about democracies is how hard it can be to reign in the worst impulses once public sentiment is ignited. 

32 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I don't quite get your contradictory statements of wanting "truth and reconciliation", while also advocating for total annihilation. I think Hamas is going to be turned into meat paste, along with the women and children who have been living in an apartheid state in Gaza under Israel. 

I don't know what should happen. It's a bigger fucking conflict than any of us, and it's older than western society itself. But I do know that Israel running the US antiterrorism playbook isn't going to do dick to reduce terrorism. From observation, it seems to make for more fertile ground for more terrorists. Which seems counterproductive in the long term. 

Palestinian citizens (non-combatants) - T&R

Hamas - irredeemable and despicable, so  . . .

Hamas has made it impossible to separate the two from each other, but Israel has the obligation to take the most effective route to protecting their citizens.  It's going to get uglier, but you are invited to provide your solution in the space below:

Captainant's Solution: _________________________________

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

That would require Israel to not repeat the strategy of total economic blockade and tactics such as closing down Karni in 2006 which made agriculture financially unviable. BUt tHosE aNimAls dEsTroYEd tHe beAuTiFuL tHInGs tHe eVer BEneVoLenT isRaElIs lEfT fOr THeM. 

Agree, but those green houses were long gone by 2006. Even the PA called in security and it was not enough. 

Now concerning the total economic blockade. Where does Hamas get all the rebar and cement for those tunnels? I have seen heavy artillery and what it does to cities. Shit, Grozny did not collapse like Gaza does. Notice how little rebar is used? 

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

So, do you have an answer or course of action in any of that?

A) If you can't infer a course of action from what I posted there, I'm not sure you have even a superficially adequate understanding of the conflict, and thus having that conversation with you would be an utter waste of time.

B) I have done this already, you just haven't read the thread. I'm not going to hold you hand, good luck. Form an opinion for yourself.

Ok, I’ve figured out that when anti-Zionists say that Israel is “occupying”, they mean the state of Israel, within Israel’s borders, should be “Palestine”. 

What is meant when Israel is referred to as an apartheid state? Israel doesn’t control Gaza (Hamas does), nor the West Bank (PA/Fatah does). Where is the apartheid?

10 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

A) If you can't infer a course of action from what I posted there, I'm not sure you have even a superficially adequate understanding of the conflict, and thus having that conversation with you would be an utter waste of time.

B) I have done this already, you just haven't read the thread. I'm not going to hold you hand, good luck. Form an opinion for yourself.

Wow, what a cop out.  Why should I infer when you can just state it?  That way there is no doubt about it.  

I had lunch with one of my oldest friends (met in the late 1970s, so we're both in our 60s) last week. He's Jewish and considered going aliyah a few years ago.  A few things came out of this:

• He's surprised at the more supportive attitude of younger people toward Palestine,
  • He ran through the history of the region from the mid to late 1800s, the Ottoman Empire, the British Mandate, the Zionist movement, the independent state, the 6 day and Yom Kippur wars to the present situation,  
  • He said that Jews have always lived in, and owned land in, the region and the major cause of friction is the refusal of certain groups to recognize the state of Israel,
  • He's basically of the mind that the hostages are going to die.  And that for Israel this is a war of survival.  He's more concerned about Hezbollah than anything from Gaza.  The thinks Biden is going to try to force Israel into compromises that won't last and will erode their security.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If Bibi were intelligent, he’d unilaterally start removing settlements in the West Bank and start a charm offensive there to give more space and breathing room for a major offensive in Gaza and to fracture any budding unity on this issue. He’d have more cover internationally, too. 

He’s not smart, and his domestic constituency won’t allow him to do that. One thing notable about democracies is how hard it can be to reign in the worst impulses once public sentiment is ignited. 

East Jerusalem and the WB are the primary and proximal objective. Gaza is dumpster fire, as intended.   

23 minutes ago, statsman said:

Ok, I’ve figured out that when anti-Zionists say that Israel is “occupying”, they mean the state of Israel, within Israel’s borders, should be “Palestine”. 

What is meant when Israel is referred to as an apartheid state? Israel doesn’t control Gaza (Hamas does), nor the West Bank (PA/Fatah does). Where is the apartheid?

The West Bank and Gaza are under Israeli control.  Life there sucks and in particular the Gazans (Gazites?) are walled off from civilization.  However, they are violent and hateful and have fired thousands of rockets at Israel.  So, yeah, Israel got tired of them and built a wall.  So,

- Life in Israel - can be pretty nice.  

- Life in Gaza - really sucks.  

But note that around 20% of the walking around Jerusalem population is Arab. But peaceful.  That's it, in a nutshell.  

Edited by Bullneck

22 minutes ago, statsman said:

848zmd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, time to start removing the illegal settlements. In 2005 Israel did this for Gaza. So there is a roadmap, just hope this time the Palestinians take advantage of what was left instead of destroying it. I am talking about the farms, greenhouses, irrigation. 

Weren't a lot of those things destroyed by the Israeli settlers before they left Gaza?

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We’ve got “Hell Hitler” being broadcast on Atlanta highways and Jewish manhunts taking place in Russian airports, but I’m sure everything will turn cool for us Jews globally if Israel puts down its weapons.

Is your assumption Israel represents Jews worldwide? Not a single Jewish person I know believes that. If not, my mistake.

43 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Wow, what a cop out.  Why should I infer when you can just state it?  That way there is no doubt about it.  

I had lunch with one of my oldest friends (met in the late 1970s, so we're both in our 60s) last week. He's Jewish and considered going aliyah a few years ago.  A few things came out of this:

• He's surprised at the more supportive attitude of younger people toward Palestine,
  • He ran through the history of the region from the mid to late 1800s, the Ottoman Empire, the British Mandate, the Zionist movement, the independent state, the 6 day and Yom Kippur wars to the present situation,  
  • He said that Jews have always lived in, and owned land in, the region and the major cause of friction is the refusal of certain groups to recognize the state of Israel,
  • He's basically of the mind that the hostages are going to die.  And that for Israel this is a war of survival.  He's more concerned about Hezbollah than anything from Gaza.  The thinks Biden is going to try to force Israel into compromises that won't last and will erode their security.

It's not a cop out, I just don't want to repeat myself over and over. Also, I'm on vacation in Big Bear right now. I just don't have it in me at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

East Jerusalem and the WB are the primary and proximal objective. Gaza is dumpster fire, as intended.   

You keep talking about this conflict implying that Israel started it. Quite fascinating to be honest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Is your assumption Israel represents Jews worldwide? Not a single Jewish person I know believes that. If not, my mistake.

This seems like a nonsensical response. 

He reported antisemitic slurs, and how he feels threatened as a Jew. I don’t understand your criticism. 

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

This seems like a nonsensical response. 

He reported antisemitic slurs, and how he feels threatened as a Jew. I don’t understand your criticism. 

There’s a a lot to criticize the government of Israel for, and also there’s a lot of anti-Semitism masquerading as said criticism. People have really dug their heels in on refusing to acknowledge the latter for fear it will discredit the former. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The people who want to kill Jews do not differentiate, which is the point I’ve made repeatedly in this thread.

Yeah, the Hamas terrorist that called his dad said, “I killed ten Jews! With my own hands!”, and not “I killed ten Zionist colonizers!” Or even “I killed ten Israelis!”

31 minutes ago, F250 said:

Weren't a lot of those things destroyed by the Israeli settlers before they left Gaza?

Yes, and those that were rebuilt with donated funds (substantially from Jewish donors, btw) were successfully producing crops that could not be exported and ultimately were left to rot, because the state of Israel has had and still has an economic noose around Gaza's neck. The population, mostly fucking children and minors, have no employment, education, or other options. They get to wallow in subjection, mental illness, and hopelessness. But hey, they had it coming to them. Park a couple aircraft carriers off the beach and make sure nothing gets too distasteful. Great foreign policy take we got here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, statsman said:

I guess that’s a satisfying answer for you, but not for me. “Apartheid” has a definition. It requires a formal and codified rejection of “The Rule of Law” (the idea that laws apply the same to everyone). 

Holy shit, I think that you are actually serious. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Holy shit, I think that you are actually serious. 

This schtick is really tired. For as good as your posts in the food threads are, your condescension and ad hominem posts in this forum really diminish. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Lulz.  You’re like the Animal Tobacco guy who 99% of the posters constantly tell him they hate him and he needs to die in a fire - to which he does nothing - but then he snaps at the mild respectful criticism instead.
Everyone: “Anastasis’d!  Put the contrarian edgelord on ignore before he ruins another thread!  He’s the worst!”
Anastasis: [usual noncommittal condescending blather that ultimately says nothing].

DDD: “I actually like your posts elsewhere, but I think your condescension and ad hominem attacks here diminish you.  You’re better than that.”
Anastasis: “Hey, fuck you, buddy!  I don’t like your posts anywhere, guy!  Why don’t you go play in traffic, friend!”

Maybe they need to go fuck or something…..

If you’re looking for exactly how far some are willing to dig their heels in not to see antisemitism, exhibit A is the way the AP framed a mob of enraged people in Dagestan who stormed an airport because they heard Jews were landing there as a “protest.” 

If only there were some Russian loanword to describe something like this…..

image.thumb.jpeg.ecbdda8d1167fd3c99aceb1a79ff24d6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

51 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lulz.  You’re like the Animal Tobacco guy who 99% of the posters constantly tell him they hate him and he needs to die in a fire - to which he does nothing - but then he snaps at the mild respectful criticism instead.

Everyone: “Anastasis’d!  Put the contrarian edgelord on ignore before he ruins another thread!  He’s the worst!”

Anastasis: [Usual noncommittal condescending blather that ultimately says nothing].

DDD: “I actually like your posts elsewhere, but I think your condescension and ad hominem attacks here diminish you.  You’re better than that.”

Anastasis: “Hey, fuck you, buddy!  I don’t like your posts anywhere, guy!  Why don’t you go play in traffic, friend!”

Congrats on stringing that many words together and hitting submit. Longest post from you on this thread, about me. Its funny when you give a little glimpse into your delusional inner dialogue. 

If he did that, hamas and other terror organizations would take that as a sign that terrorism gets shit done.

It's a difficult situation to maneuver, to do what some may feel is the "right thing" yet not reinforce that belief

Yes, and those that were rebuilt with donated funds (substantially from Jewish donors, btw) were successfully producing crops that could not be exported and ultimately were left to rot, because the state of Israel has had and still has an economic noose around Gaza's neck. The population, mostly fucking children and minors, have no employment, education, or other options. They get to wallow in subjection, mental illness, and hopelessness. But hey, they had it coming to them. Park a couple aircraft carriers off the beach and make sure nothing gets too distasteful. Great foreign policy take we got here.  
If only hamas took those 100s of millions of dollars it gets and reinvested it into propping up their people instead of buying weapons to attack its neighbors
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Smax said:
3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If only hamas took those 100s of millions of dollars it gets and reinvested it into propping up their people instead of buying weapons to attack its neighbors

How much money do their neighbors get?

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

How could anybody not include the lack of a two state solution as a causal factor in the ongoing violence in the region?