Coffee Burr Grinder or Blade Grinder?

Asithappens

i have both. the only time i use my burr grinder is when i’m sexually frustrated. otherwise the convenience and speed of the blade is too much to ignore.

as far as burr being better, i’ve heard the same thing but my palate isn’t refined enough to tell. whether i’m using a French press, my Chemex or firing up my Breville for espresso, there’s not enough difference to tell.

Everyone that I know that is serious about coffee has a burr grinder (most of them are making espresso most of the time with a rare pour overs or french press)

Every website/review place I have read that does coffee reviews recommends a burr grinder

Burr grinders are absolutely "better" if you are seriously into it.

If you are just making drip coffee? Doubt it really matters.

If you are trying to consistently pull a shot, then from what I understand it does actually matter and isn't really close.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i have both. the only time i use my burr grinder is when i’m sexually frustrated. otherwise the convenience and speed of the blade is too much to ignore.

Yes, for me it's much more convenient to press "start" on my blade grinder than on my burr grinder.

To answer the original question:  yes, the difference is noticeable, and all I do is pourover using Chemex filters.

I’ve never owned a blade grinder but I can’t imagine it’s any simpler than my burr grinder. I dump the coffee in the hopper, I turn a knob, and it starts grinding. That’s it.  

I mean I guess you have the complication of being able to change the size of the grind. But once you set it it stays there. 

Edited by Your Mom

I’ve never owned a blade grinder but I can’t imagine it’s any simpler than my burr grinder. I dump the coffee in the hopper, I turn a knob, and it starts grinding. That’s it.  
 I mean I guess you have the complication of being able to change the size of the grind. But once you set it it stays there. 

p-1482-SkertonHandMill_600x.jpg?[v=1552605775
  • Like 2

Oh THAT kind of burr grinder.  No, I'm not hand cranking it.  Well, I am.. but thats for a different thread.  For coffee I go electric, but it's an electric burr grinder, not a blade.  When it's coffee for just one or two I use a chemex, when it's coffee for a group like a family gathering I use a big french press.  They each require a different size grind, that's why I went with a burr grinder over a blade.

I started with a Porlex and graduated to a Virtuoso.  The Porlex is outstanding and I over-researched the shit out of it when I was shopping.  It seemed superior to the Hario grinder at the time, don't remember why.  But I was always happy with it. 

Cafe_Grumpy__Porlex_Grinder__22054.15139

Treated myself to this a few years ago and love it.  Consistent grinds, any size I want, the little knob on the side gets it going.  Turn it and walk away.  10 seconds later you have grinds waiting for you.

?$web_product_hero$&160822125806&wid=625

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

p-1482-SkertonHandMill_600x.jpg?[v=1552605775

I got one of these few years ago and haven't looked back (not Surly 1%, but you can easily spend $ for a burr grinder).  There's an expensive version (~$50 Hario Skeleton) and one that is exactly the same but about half the price (~$25 Khaw-Fee HG1B).  It does a very good at getting course enough for French Press or fine enough for drip; haven't used it for espresso since my Breville has a built-in grinder.  It takes some practice at manually adjusting grind size at first, but isn't hard thereafter.  

Burr grinders generally give you a more uniform grind size, which helps deliver a better cup.  I use this for French Press and pour overs, and IMHO it helps make a better cup than the my old blade grinder, which has since been relegated to grinding spices for chili.  

Also I'll add, it does make a better pot, only in the sense that it's more consistent.  I haven't had a bad pot since I bought it, but I wasn't like "holy shit this is good" either.

https://www.amazon.com/Chefman-Coffee-Grinder-Burr-Freshly-Dishwasher/dp/B077SBFR8K/

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

I prefer the burr grinder. I am not spending $1000 on a burr grinder. But the last one I bought for 79 or whatever died after 6 months. My new one sounds like a fucking jet engine taking off in the kitchen. It scares the shit out of visitors when I punch that thing. 

9 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I have a blade grinder but have read that burr grinders are better.

Has anyone noticed a difference in taste when using a burr grinder?

I'm skeptical. 

I use a French press. Not only have I found a difference with a burr grinder, I've found a difference between flat and conical burrs. You want a conical burr grinder. You also want to use a slow grind speed that won't heat up the beans.

I would say there is as much a difference between flat burrs and a blade grinder as there is between a blade grinder and pre-ground coffee, and that again for the difference between conical and flat. I found the difference pretty vast. For French press, it really makes a difference.

I got one of these. It's lasted me for years and years and it isn't terribly loud, all things considered. I did have to fix the lid, only because I dropped it. Just do remember to be careful with the mechanical dial. My only complaint with it is that it's kind of hard to clean.

Edited by Rimbo

• 2 years later...

bump

I have a Hario Skerton Pro. It works fine, but I'd like to be able to stop grinding by hand. I bought and returned two Baratza Encores. On the first one, the plastic impellers broke off during manual cleaning after it clogged on the third use. The second one clogged after the first use. I don't believe I overfilled it and I was grinding a Tanzanian peaberry. I'm not sure that's oily enough to cause major problems after a single use. I prefer a finer grind to go with my Aeropress. Any suggestions on a reliable and easy-to-clean burr grinder?

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the Solis Scala burr grinder last month, and I'm loving it. Check out the Seattle Coffee Gear review on YouTube.
I'm unboxing my new Moccamaster this weekend, so I can't wait to play with the grind settings. 

Still like the Scala? I have a Virtuoso that is good but not amazing. Do all burr grinders accumulate half ground beans that never get processed? Maybe I just have too high expectations.

Also I’m waiting for my current coffee maker to kick the bucket to get a Moccamaster.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, nycHorn said:

Still like the Scala? I have a Virtuoso that is good but not amazing. Do all burr grinders accumulate half ground beans that never get processed? Maybe I just have too high expectations.

Also I’m waiting for my current coffee maker to kick the bucket to get a Moccamaster.

Yes, I'm happy with the Scala. There is a small post grind static issue but I've read that's a issue among lots of grinders. Yes, there are some leftover grind, I tilt it forward and tap the back, (like burping a baby) before removing the dispenser. It is less expensive than the Encore. 

Yes, I'm happy with the Scala. There is a small post grind static issue but I've read that's a issue among lots of grinders. Yes, there are some leftover grind, I tilt it forward and tap the back, (like burping a baby) before removing the dispenser. It is less expensive than the Encore. 

Nice. Thanks. How are you liking the Moccamaster? What did you have before?

On 7/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, nycHorn said:

Nice. Thanks. How are you liking the Moccamaster? What did you have before?

I was doing French Press almost exclusively. 

The Moccamaster is pulling out new and different flavors from the beans. I fell in love with the design at first, but reading and watching videos sold me.  My girlfriend complains that her coffee is not hot enough, and I tell her that's because she used to her cheap drip boiling her coffee.

Did you guys find that the moccamaster makes a weaker cup? My girlfriend and I have been drinking french press and aero press and the moccamaster I got has not really impressed us. My girlfriend complains the coffee is watery compared to French press. I have the baratza encore so it’s a fine grinder for press and drip.

Do I need to change up the grind size? I played with that some but didn’t have much luck. 

Did you guys find that the moccamaster makes a weaker cup? My girlfriend and I have been drinking french press and aero press and the moccamaster I got has not really impressed us. My girlfriend complains the coffee is watery compared to French press. I have the baratza encore so it’s a fine grinder for press and drip.
Do I need to change up the grind size? I played with that some but didn’t have much luck. 
Adjust the bloom/soak time and drip rate with the basket controls. Of course, grind adjustment will also make a difference.

We have a technivorm and make our coffee very strong with this setup.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I'm not using a Moccamaster, but Id think it would apply as well.  This has helped me dial in french press and pour overs.

spacer.png

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

My Encore is set on 12.  I use 6 Tb grounds to 1 liter water.  Suits me just fine.  

If that helps at all...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/25/2019 at 6:51 AM, SurlyORama said:

I know it's just what everyone says about them, but burr grinders give a much more consistent grind. I prefer the coffee or espresso that I get using my burr grinder (Rancilio Rocky) vastly over the blade grinders I had before.

I also have the Rocky, and it's amazing. The thing is built like a tank. Have had it for 20+ years, and still works exactly like new.

Quoted my own post, apparently I need coffee.

Edited by SurlyORama
  • Haha 1