Getting old sucks

Hate

On 10/25/2023 at 8:57 AM, mininghorn88 said:

I turned 57 this past July. The randomness of ailments that can last for a few minutes, a couple of hours, or a few days are frustrating.

I am 5’-11” and around 215 pounds. I am very active but carry most of my weight in my stomach (genetics?). Try to play full court basketball 3 days a week but I travel a lot so that makes it difficult to do. I also try to get at least 10k steps in a day along with some pushups and sit-ups. Having business travels and travel food is difficult to manage.

Trying to get back down to my normal weight of 205.

Are you completing your dribble too soon? Before coming to a complete stop?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Are you completing your dribble too soon? Before coming to a complete stop?

I do not have that much inertia!

I know y’all are goofing on sentence structure but just for clarity for the lesser minds on here, I travel a lot for business hence not being consistent with exercise. My basketball skills are fairly decent for my age IMO!

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I do not have that much inertia!

I know y’all are goofing on sentence structure but just for clarity for the lesser minds on here, I travel a lot for business hence not being consistent with exercise. My basketball skills are fairly decent for my age IMO!

You’re allowed to travel when you’re old. 
king-travel-lebron-james.gif

• Haha 3

Rotator cuff surgery was 6 weeks ago, tomorrow. My surgeon showed me pictures of my tendons. They looked like someone had taken ropes and dragged them over concrete edges for a week, looking like a net full of holes instead of looking like ropes. Recovery has been the 100% polar opposite of last time. Nerve block worked perfectly. I took pain meds for 12 hours, woke up the morning after surgery without pain and have not taken any since then. Tylenol twice a day has worked perfectly fine. I have had almost no pain above a 3 or 4 since surgery, even during therapy. My therapist said I'm 2 weeks ahead of schedule so we're advancing the therapy tomorrow. If I would have known it was going to go this well, I would have had it done a year ago. It might have helped that I exercised regularly and took care of myself. I know of two other guys who are still on pain meds 8 weeks after surgery. But for whatever reason it has been easy this time around.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh. Posting this from the throne in the midst of “colonoscopy prep.”
Ain’t this a joy. Got more nasty fluid flying out of me than Spindletop.
While my wife enjoys a tasty Conan’s deep dish in the next room.
This 50+ shit ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

At least you get your butthole fingered 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

This morning I did nothing more than reach for the handle on the kitchen sink,  and my back decided to knot up behind my shoulder blade. One of those knots where you can't take a deep breath without shooting pain. I get massages on a regular basis but of course I don't have one scheduled for 2 weeks. Ugh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

This morning I did nothing more than reach for the handle on the kitchen sink,  and my back decided to knot up behind my shoulder blade. One of those knots where you can't take a deep breath without shooting pain. I get massages on a regular basis but of course I don't have one scheduled for 2 weeks. Ugh. 

How much yoga do you do?

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I’m pretty sure I strained/eventually tore something in my shoulder after sleeping wrong this summer….  It hurt a bit forever and after not doing anything too physical for a few months  I pushed thru and did some p90x, it hurt a bit and especially after but weight lifting was definitely out of the question.   Then I wrecked a scooter and landed on it and I think it might have popped?  My right shoulder now has a dip where something should be and there’s pain but nothing crazy.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m pretty sure I strained/eventually tore something in my shoulder after sleeping wrong this summer….  It hurt a bit forever and after not doing anything too physical for a few months  I pushed thru and did some p90x, it hurt a bit and especially after but weight lifting was definitely out of the question.   Then I wrecked a scooter and landed on it and I think it might have popped?  My right shoulder now has a dip where something should be and there’s pain but nothing crazy.  

Please offer your definition of “crazy”.

My definition for “crazy” is: I think it popped. My body has changed shape. It hurts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sigh.  Colonoscopy done, that was SUPER fun.  Even better, I was all polyp-y, so they want me to come back for another one in a year!  If I do better that time (no or minimal polyps), then I can go to an "every three years" schedule.

So, this time next year.....more liquid blowing out my ass before I get scoped and routed.  This aging shit is delightful.

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'm not sure what kind of anesthesia they use, but I woke up from my procedure feeling fantastic. 

Yep.  I immediately asked to be put back under.  It was my dreams just before waking —I can’t recall details but it was like I was in paradise.  I’m due for my next one in 2024 and I’m actually looking forward to it.  It’s propofol, I believe.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I woke up swinging after my colonoscopy. My first recollection was hearing someone say "Whoa, we got a fighter here!"

I also remember nearly being in tears at 6 am for the 8 am procedure because my shit wasn't clear like they require and I thought i was going ro have to do it all over again. 30 minutes later it was clear as water.

The 1st meal after starving and shitting yourself for 24 hours is pretty tasty.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

I woke up swinging after my colonoscopy.

Waking up on your stomach with a pair of hands on your shoulder will cause that…. Or was that just me? 

My last go around earlier this year I was out of there quick, barely enough time to down a juice box. 

Edited by Underdog

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Sounds like you have shitty insurance...

"where's the anesthesiologist?"

"This guy just gets the ether rag"

"Ok- hey RPM- smell this" 

"Is he out?"

"Close enough"

This is exactly what the new reaction/emoji was created for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a prostate artery embolization procedure about six weeks ago. Urinary pain was excruciating for 7-8 days but I  can now pee much better and with no pain. BPH with a prostate at 101 ml, the size of an orange. Normal is 25 ml, the size of a walnut. I carefully researched all the options and this was best for me. 

23 minutes ago, msbesq said:

Had a prostate artery embolization procedure about six weeks ago. Urinary pain was excruciating for 7-8 days but I  can now pee much better and with no pain. BPH with a prostate at 101 ml, the size of an orange. Normal is 25 ml, the size of a walnut. I carefully researched all the options and this was best for me. 

Yes, I had a severe prostate infection 5-6 months ago. Completely shut off my urinary tract.
The cute little nurse that jammed the catheter up through my peehole, through that infected, inflamed prostate, was a sadist. Felt like a red-hot rebar. Then I promptly filled up two bags.
I had that catheter in almost 2 weeks while the infection abated with antibiotics, bringing the inflammation down. That was freaking misery. 

When I wake up in the middle of the night and get out of bed and head to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever it’s like I’m super drunk. Dizzy, can’t keep my balance, etc. Goes away after a minute or three. Told my Dr. about it this morning and she acted like it’s no big deal, said something about how I’d said I’d been congested and that could be effecting me…. Lil scary.

I apparently just start to bleed spontaneously now.  My wife just asked me what I did to my arm and points out a small trickle of dried blood.  It's obviously been dry for some time, but damned if I know what I did to open up the small laceration from which it proceeds.  I don't remember any bumps or scrapes.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I apparently just start to bleed spontaneously now.  My wife just asked me what I did to my arm and points out a small trickle of dried blood.  It's obviously been dry for some time, but damned if I know what I did to open up the small laceration from which it proceeds.  I don't remember any bumps or scrapes.

This happened to me the other day.  I woke up to prepare to go to work.  I went to the bathroom for my morning pee.  I had a small burr on one of my fingernails that scratched my scrotum.  I thought I was going to bleed out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Happens to me all the time now and I have no clue how I did it.  Bruises too.  I take a baby aspirin everyday and I'm told that makes it easier to bruise.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Happens to me all the time now and I have no clue how I did it.  Bruises too.  I take a baby aspirin everyday and I'm told that makes it easier to bruise.  

I never wore gloves doing regular outside work or working on cars. Now my skin is so thin, I will bleed from 100 cuts and tears if I don't wear them. 

• Hook 'Em 1