Getting old sucks

Hate

• 2 weeks later...

quick double check - you folks that work out regularly and are 50 ish - are you always sore?  in addition to nagging injuries, I'm always work out sore, it never stops. even maintaining current levels of fitness, sore. ugh.  my diet is pretty good - I may look at my Vit D/Calcium intake as I don't drink milk, but I do eat a lot of cheese - I stretch quite a bit not all the time. Fairly well hydrated. maybe I'm just getting older, but I'd love to hear I'm not the only one.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, troph said:

quick double check - you folks that work out regularly and are 50 ish - are you always sore?  in addition to nagging injuries, I'm always work out sore, it never stops. even maintaining current levels of fitness, sore. ugh.  my diet is pretty good - I may look at my Vit D/Calcium intake as I don't drink milk, but I do eat a lot of cheese - I stretch quite a bit not all the time. Fairly well hydrated. maybe I'm just getting older, but I'd love to hear I'm not the only one.

I'm in my 60s, and yes. I don't recover as quickly, and feel the ache much longer. As the title of this thread says...

• Hook 'Em 1

Pardon the titty pic, but since a few heart palpitations started up several days after the aorta valve implant, I get to wear this monitor gadget that is a lot different than those older models that would hang around the neck. 
This little bugger even came with a Samsung phone to transmit info to…… somewhere, and has a button to press in case the ticker acts up. 
Told the wife we might have to hold off on all the blowjobs for the two weeks I have to wear it. 
(j/k)

FF87792E-20DE-4856-8C67-D48651CF6586.jpeg

6A4078B1-EB39-461E-A7F3-B2DF35D8124D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

I type this getting ready for my 2nd rotator cuff surgery on Monday. I started lifting weight in '76 and have most of my life. It definitely hurts more/longer as you get older. Recovery time is much longer and unless your adding testosterone the weights get heavier. That being said, I wouldn't change anything. I had a 45th HS reunion a month ago and most of the guys were way out of shape and taking meds by the handful. Weightlifting/exercise has kept me from having to take any. My shoulders sound like I'm walking on gravel but I don't plan to stop. I'll just change what I do. 

pic.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I type this getting ready for my 2nd rotator cuff surgery on Monday. I started lifting weight in '76 and have most of my life. It definitely hurts more/longer as you get older. Recovery time is much longer and unless your adding testosterone the weights get heavier. That being said, I wouldn't change anything. I had a 45th HS reunion a month ago and most of the guys were way out of shape and taking meds by the handful. Weightlifting/exercise has kept me from having to take any. My shoulders sound like I'm walking on gravel but I don't plan to stop. I'll just change what I do. 

pic.jpg

definitely not gonna take testosterone.

I tend to be around really fit people so I forget there are unhealthy 50 year olds everywhere.

but yeah like you I'm in pretty good shape. my resting heart rate is currently 48 bpm (my doctor qualified me as an athlete so it's not considered low), my blood pressure is in normal range 110/70, and my blood and lipid panel are perfect. working through cancer screenings last year and this year, but as of right now stroke, heart attack, butt cancer, boob cancer, (need to check for skin cancer), diabetes, and other long term maladies are far away. 

I guess I'll take being sore all the time as my prize.

Goal is to be an athlete when I'm 80 - albeit a slow moving doubles tennis player only - but still an athlete. The men and women who I see on the tennis court in their 80's inspire me.

27 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm in my 60s, and yes. I don't recover as quickly, and feel the ache much longer. As the title of this thread says...

getting older fucking sucks. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Keep up the good work so you don’t have to reach the stage I’m in.

My brother worked out diligently over the decades lifting weights (could still bench press 300 in his late 50s), jogging, etc. along with healthy eating.

He’s 85 now and his only problem is his scoliosis that has him somewhat bent over from his usual 6’4” & 175 lbs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Keep up the good work so you don’t have to reach the stage I’m in.

My brother worked out diligently over the decades lifting weights (could still bench press 300 in his late 50s), jogging, etc. along with healthy eating.

He’s 85 now and his only problem is his scoliosis that has him somewhat bent over from his usual 6’4” & 175 lbs. 

yeah but you still get blow jobs so you win.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

quick double check - you folks that work out regularly and are 50 ish - are you always sore?  in addition to nagging injuries, I'm always work out sore, it never stops.

Not always, but if I don't watch the volume and switch things up the literal moment feel a tightness or impairment of any kind, it's a one way ticket on the pain train. 

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Not always, but if I don't watch the volume and switch things up the literal moment feel a tightness or impairment of any kind, it's a one way ticket on the pain train. 

what do you and you others do to recover?  right now I focus on water, hot baths, and stretching. It doesn't help that much. I try to avoid ibuprofen but sometimes break down and take 200-400 once or twice a week for a break.

1 minute ago, troph said:

what do you and you others do to recover?  right now I focus on water, hot baths, and stretching. It doesn't help that much. I try to avoid ibuprofen but sometimes break down and take 200-400 once or twice a week for a break.

about the same on all counts, but when I do use an NSAID, I take 600mg of IB before bedtime and apply Voltaren gel locally. 

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

about the same on all counts, but when I do use an NSAID, I take 600mg of IB before bedtime and apply Voltaren gel locally. 

I use my own cbd topical brand for localized soreness it works great but I may have to look at Voltaren. my biggest problem with ibuprofen is it's general and I don't need it running through my whole body (or more specifically my liver).  I take 200-400 during the day or at night as well if my soreness is going to lead to insomnia. sometimes instead of ibuprofen I actually knock my ass out with 250 mg of hemp (no THC) before bed if I'm sore.

12 minutes ago, troph said:

I use my own cbd topical brand for localized soreness it works great but I may have to look at Voltaren. my biggest problem with ibuprofen is it's general and I don't need it running through my whole body (or more specifically my liver).  I take 200-400 during the day or at night as well if my soreness is going to lead to insomnia. sometimes instead of ibuprofen I actually knock my ass out with 250 mg of hemp (no THC) before bed if I'm sore.

Ibuprofen messes up your stomach. Acetaminophen ruins your liver. That’s why a lot of these pain med addicts end up with cirrhosis and liver failure—a lot of the opiates are paired with acetaminophen. 
But yes, better to avoid the systemic stuff. 
In particular prednisone. Stay off that at all costs. It screws everything up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

250MG of CBD? I've never taken a dose that big. How is it?

Our hemp oil is pretty spectacular and with no THC it’s fine. I hate THC. Clinical doses of CBD for all the studies out there start at 200 mg. 25-50 mg doesn’t do shit. YMMV.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Ibuprofen messes up your stomach. Acetaminophen ruins your liver. That’s why a lot of these pain med addicts end up with cirrhosis and liver failure—a lot of the opiates are paired with acetaminophen. 
But yes, better to avoid the systemic stuff. 
In particular prednisone. Stay off that at all costs. It screws everything up. 

I try to stay away from it, I’ll go months without taking ingestible pain relievers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Well, 10 gummies would prolly put you to sleep, no?

That’s likely with THC. Our hemp oil is minimally processed, non-detectable THC levels (effectively no THC). I hate THC it makes me feel groggy, slow, and fatigued the next day. And that combo makes me feel depressed too. So THC es no bueno para mi. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

250MG of CBD? I've never taken a dose that big. How is it?

sorry for the serial posts I'd merge but it's too late. I don't do it every day, only when I know I'm going to have a hard time sleeping or I need to ensure I sleep really well. again, ZERO THC and no melatonin or other crap. just pure softgel oil. I wake up fine no side effects or hang over. I generally sleep well. I probably do that 2-3 times a month and take nothing the other nights. I probably have another 2-3 nights a month where my sleep sucks and I just went to bed without doing anything. a lot of those times it's stress or aches/pains.

55 today. Don’t really get sore after workouts. I mean I can feel that I’ve worked out, but would t really call it sore. I don’t work out super intensely though, but it is regular. Usually p90x stuff. I’m more about just trying to get the oxygen and blood following , and muscles used and stretched on the reg than winning any CrossFit competitions. Fwiw.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

55 today. Don’t really get sore after workouts. I mean I can feel that I’ve worked out, but would t really call it sore. I don’t work out super intensely though, but it is regular. Usually p90x stuff. I’m more about just trying to get the oxygen and blood following , and muscles used and stretched on the reg than winning any CrossFit competitions. Fwiw.

Thanks for responding. I think I sometimes go too hard but I’m also afraid I only have a few years left of going all out. And I really enjoy pressing it hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I take Qunol Tumeric on a daily basis, and I can definitely tell the difference when I forget for a couple of days. It isn’t a pain reliever, but it is an effective anti inflammatory. I have also taken the Tumeric sold at Sam’s. The description of ingredients is similar to Qunol’s which indicates that they both contain the concentrated form that is superior to plain Tumeric. All I know is the arthritis in my e and h knuckles is better when I take it, as is my general joint pain.

• Like 1

Just had some sort of cardiac “event” - bp was 164/126 with 116 pulse rate. Chest was pounding for about 15 minutes before it started slowing down.

wasn’t doing anything strenuous at all, just walking from one room to another.

45 minutes later bp is 128/83 pulse rate 81.  
First flare up since the aorta valve implant over 2 weeks ago.

Feeling ok now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Just had some sort of cardiac “event” - bp was 164/126 with 116 pulse rate. Chest was pounding for about 15 minutes before it started slowing down.

wasn’t doing anything strenuous at all, just walking from one room to another.

45 minutes later bp is 128/83 pulse rate 81.  
First flare up since the aorta valve implant over 2 weeks ago.

Feeling ok now.

Sounds a lot like afib. Hope you get it checked out soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Don't know where to post this but I figured this was as good a place as any....such an amazing look at a byegone era. I bet Austin Powers was somewhere off camera working on shagging some minx. Special shout-out to the babe in tbe short white dress with black belt. Mesmerizing 

I’m diggin’ the brunette in the black skirt to her left. They don’t show her enough. 

On 10/13/2023 at 9:34 AM, troph said:

Have you asked your PCP or a PT about this?  I'm 61 and I work out every day during the week with cardio and weights and on the weekends I'll do a physical activity like golf (walking 18 holes), tennis, etc.  I've been doing this since my middle 40's.  At my annual physical my doctor will give me some tips and a lengthy handout showing various stretching and foam roller or lacrosse ball exercises to help with occasional sore joints and muscles.  If I play golf several days in a row I may experience some minor back soreness, but it goes away quickly.  Otherwise, I am rarely sore after working out.  Maybe it's because I don't push it too hard.  I'm almost 6' 2" and weigh 176 and my goals are to maintain body weight and strength and keep my heart healthy.  I'm not trying to build muscle mass as if I were a younger man. 

20 hours ago, nnm said:

Sounds a lot like afib. Hope you get it checked out soon. 

Yep -caused by some small blood clots on the lung -BS&W ER ran a bunch of scans & tests. 
Didn’t sleep a wink in the ER last night. Just got in a regular room today. 
7 or 8 cardiologists checked me out - new meds are clearing out the clots and I feel fine.

However the electro-cardiologist team & my main cardio doc said I need a pacemaker. 
They’ll install it Friday.

Sweet nurses up here, but no pics. Don’t want them using dull rusty needles on me. 
Nice view of the roof top though.

A52AF782-AA65-4EBC-84BE-E1DF42AD00C7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yep -caused by some small blood clots on the lung -BS&W ER ran a bunch of scans & tests. 
Didn’t sleep a wink in the ER last night. Just got in a regular room today. 
7 or 8 cardiologists checked me out - new meds are clearing out the clots and I feel fine.

However the electro-cardiologist team & my main cardio doc said I need a pacemaker. 
They’ll install it Friday.

Sweet nurses up here, but no pics. Don’t want them using dull rusty needles on me. 
Nice view of the roof top though.

A52AF782-AA65-4EBC-84BE-E1DF42AD00C7.jpeg

Hang in there.  We need you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to the trampoline park to jump with my 2 kids last night. I’m 38 and felt like my knees could explode on any given bounce. Meanwhile 11, 12, 13 yr old boys are climbing up onto top of wall tramps, jumping down and doing front/ side cool looking flips. lol
I miss my younger days when my bones were rubber and could do anything.
  • Like 2

3 days post op for rotator cuff surgery. Hardly any pain at all right now. I took hydrocodone and tramadol for the first 24 hours and hated that shit. I'd rather hurt like hell than go through Tramadol withdrawls again.  I don't know how you get addicted to that crap. It makes me sick. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just had a decent omelette, toast & jam, banana, and chocolate pudding.

Hordes of doctors, nurses, lab techs, & unknown passersby have traipsed through my room starting at 3am.
Am now waiting for the primary cardiologist to come by to discharge me before 11am.
J has been here since 7:30am.
I must have three score holes in my carcass . Everybody wanted their share of gore.

B457D1D5-7D4E-4EA1-9F5C-4A681878378B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3