Getting old sucks

Hate

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Pretty good on exercise. Could be better, but during a normal schedule (which has been anything but this summer), it's 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes a pop.

My diet... so-so. On the plus side, my wife is vegetarian so I just can't eat a "plate full of brown" anymore as she calls it. Fast-food hamburgers, BBQ, and the like are a 3-4x a month thing, and I tend to just feel gross afterward. But it's not like I'm eating salads every meal. For instance, yesterday I had Fuego for lunch and Freebirds for dinner as we headed down to New Braunfels. Not a bunch of fried, but not exactly health food.

But sweets, got damn I can't stop those. 

Good news is that as of now my weight is fine. I've gained about 10 pounds since high school, but that seems to be primarily just filling out in my 20s. Haven't really gained anything in about a decade. I also feel good and the body works well, apart from knees that act up when on my feet all day. I've had that since high school/college due to injuries and it hasn't gotten worse.

It's more of a "what's around the corner?" mentality where I don't want to be 65, overweight, and complaining about how bad I hurt all the time. I've seen enough of that from people to last a lifetime.

When I was 14, I weighed 300 lbs. As soon as I started playing HS football I dropped 60. In college I hit 185. 45 years later I'm at 190. I watched a lot of family gain weight and die of weight related problems. If you put on 3 lbs a year, in 20 years your 60 lbs overweight, so my goal is to stay close to the same weight as I age. I don't stick to any specific workout or diet, I just do what I feel like to keep my weight constant. A lot of walking and old man (light) weights now.

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

For some reason I’m guessing she misses it less than you do

When I got my first "finger" exam, my fairly young, female urologist said " Now comes the unpleasant part, please bend over". I told her that the most unpleasant part was probably her view.  

True story.

Awhile back, finishing up after a more-or-less-yearly checkup, Doc's PA, an extremely attractive lady, said she wanted me to come back in a couple of weeks for a digital prostate exam. I said, okay, as long as it's mutual. She asked me what that meant. I told her, "Well, if you're gonna stick your finger up my backside, I should get to stick my finger up yours." She laughed and said she wasn't really going to use her finger. I said I wasn't, either. Still waiting for that exam...

• Haha 2

Had to explain neuropathy to a coworker this morning when I "all of a sudden" started yipping like a fucking chi hua hua /lessnessman when my right heel started firing off.

Reminded me of the time back in December when I was standing around waiting on the guy I was releaving

Edited by RPM

30 minutes ago, RPM said:

Had to explain neuropathy to a coworker this morning when I "all of a sudden" started yipping like a fucking chi hua hua /lessnessman when my right heel started firing off.

Reminded me of the time back in December when I was standing around waiting on the guy I was releaving

You’d left him before?  Why’d you reunite?

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Reunited, and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited 'cause we're reunited, hey, hey

So you’re a perfect fit with your male co-worker. Reminds me of the Irish joke:

Have you met the new gay couple that moved in? Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick!

• Haha 1

Fuuuuuuck. Pulled some weeds Sunday morning. Heat was fine I was done by 1030am. The problem? Today. My hamstrings might as well have been cut to shreds. The soreness is unrelenting, like 8 out of 10 in terms of pain when I massage my leg. And I bike and play tennis 3-5 days a week and am generally active otherwise.  

I woke up in the middle of the night the other night panicked that I’m 48 and my wife is 52 and we will be 53 and 57 when my kids graduate high school and we can do whatever.  I mean that’s not that old but holy shit it seems awfully close.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

Had my spine injection about 4 weeks ago. Felt great. Even had a couple of work outs doing light squats and deadlift.  Embarrassingly light, but I’ve popped my back out just picking up my 40 lb kid. 

Been meaning to build a small shed to stored bikes and tools to clear out garage. Felt great Sunday 10 days ago, so got up and went and got 20 80 lb bags of concrete mix. Van was at edge of driveway when I started unloading because it was too loaded down to go up driveway without scraping, so I think that made me curl my back awkwardly to get to the bags. Back just went boom on second bay. Had to get wife to help me in to house. Couldn’t do more than crawl around the house.  Tried to stand up to shower off and got stuck not being able to move but also being in unbearable pain, and wife couldn’t hold me up. She was ready to take me to ER at that point. Talked her out of it, but it was worst pain I’ve ever experienced.  Took 10-12 days of prednisone and Tylenol 3 to stop hurting. 

Also, since I had to call her outside to bring me in, she discovered that I used her minivan to grab the concrete, it was all over her car (I think a bag busted), and she had to unload it all. I’m pretty sure that is going to come up later in life. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If I had a left nut, I would have given it to be 57 when my daughter graduated high school.

I was 44, 47, and 51 when my kids graduated HS. I’m looking forward to our first grandchild this October, and am still in my 50s. I have a couple of friends that started second families at this age. I think they’re crazy. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a cousin that remarried after his first wife passed. His son was 18 and graduated from high school. He and his new wife had twins and now are expecting another one. He’ll be 55 when this one is born. I think he’s crazy but I’ve never seen him happier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

I woke up in the middle of the night the other night panicked that I’m 48 and my wife is 52 and we will be 53 and 57 when my kids graduate high school and we can do whatever.  I mean that’s not that old but holy shit it seems awfully close.

I'll be 54 when my last kid graduates high school.  Older that I would've liked to have been, but not as bad if I (a) stay in shape to make the next decade more manageable, and (b) am able to retire from this law shit sometime before 65.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'll be 54 when my last kid graduates high school.  Older that I would've liked to have been, but not as bad if I (a) stay in shape to make the next decade more manageable, and (b) am able to retire from this law shit sometime before 65.

same plan mostly.

to that end, I'm now rotating the following for breakfast and lunch - peaches, apples, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, yougurt with no added sugar, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, pecans, raisins, dried cranberries, raw vegetable juices (kale, lettuce, celery, other greens), avacados with olive oil, oatmeal with cinnamon (I control the additives (a dash of sugar and a smidge of butter).  I sneak in an occasional sandwich but try to limit chip intake.  maybe 1-2 times a week instead of a sandwich I'll do an HEB prepared meal but it's fish and veggies mostly.

I try to rotate dinners on and off again from healthy (vegetable focused) to fun and yummy on a day to day basis. weekends are cheats for breakfast tacos and yummy dinners but I try to keep up my intake of the good stuff, just make it ancillary to the fun stuff.

I've ceased adding salt to food at the table.

I drink one matcha tea per day.

supplements include coQ10, omegas, green food supplements, an NAD+ supp, probiotic, and full spectrum hemp.  liquid supplements include ginger and tumeric low calorie no sugar added fruit juices.

I drink a shit ton of water (but not too much) daily.

I try to work out 3-5 days a week.

I try to limit alcohol to 3-4 days a week, 2 drink max.  I enjoy some NA beers now as well.

loooooooong gone are the days of doing whatever the fuck I want. If I deviate from the diet and exercise above I feel like hot garbage and my mood is darkAF.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, troph said:

loooooooong gone are the days of doing whatever the fuck I want. If I deviate from the diet and exercise above I feel like hot garbage and my mood is darkAF.

Same.  I'll have my cheat days on weekends, but depending on how far I stray, I'll feel it the next morning like I never did even 5 or so years ago.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Same.  I'll have my cheat days on weekends, but depending on how far I stray, I'll feel it the next morning like I never did even 5 or so years ago.

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Every now and then I still do, but damn do I pay the price.

honestly guys I'm not even talking about drinking too much, I flat out don't do that at all anymore. I'm talking about if I eat pizza, burgers, and tacos all weekend with 1-2 drinks per day, Friday through Sunday, then Monday I'm shot to hell and lethargic and depressed and anxious. If I'm good on my diet, I'm ok. I *wish* I could indulge a sixer or a whole bottle of wine again, but that's a path straight to hell.

• Like 1

Welp, the clinic called this morning to say that yesterday’s ECHO scan showed the aorta valve stenosis has entered the severe stage and if I am experiencing any shortness of breath, to call them so they can move up my Tuesday appointment with the cardio surgeon. 
Then he will discuss how soon he will do the valve replacement. Sounds kinda dire.
Am not really experiencing shortness of breath but do get chest pains after doing little things like moving the sprinkler hose around in the yard.

• Like 7

Called them back to say what I was experiencing, and they said to stick with the Tuesday appointment but not to do anything that would crank up the chest pains.
If they came back, then head to the ER.

We have curbside at HEB at 11, then are supposed to meet our happy hour group for some TexMex. 

55 minutes ago, nnm said:

And stay away from the IPHB forum. 

Can’t fap?

Chest has been getting more uncomfortable. Maybe I’m getting psyched out hoping to not drop dead before the surgeon can schedule me for the TAVR.

An acquaintance in Wisconsin just had the same procedure done Tuesday and has been home recovering since Thursday. His wife says he is tired, but feeling great except for the soreness where they stuck the cath in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Chest has been getting more uncomfortable. Maybe I’m getting psyched out hoping to not drop dead before the surgeon can schedule me for the TAVR.
An acquaintance in Wisconsin just had the same procedure done Tuesday and has been home recovering since Thursday. His wife says he is tired, but feeling great except for the soreness where they stuck the cath in.

Good vibes man
  • Hook 'Em 1

On the prostate exam vs. PSA comments, my doctor stopped the digital exams 8-10 years ago. I thought he forgot one year, but my doctor wife asked him, and he said the PSA was standard now.

Regarding exercise, I am also doing higher reps with moderate weights. But, I lose ground much more quickly these days. For example, one thing I was doing fine up until the week of my daughter’s wedding in late July, but then I missed 3 full weeks due to that plus traveling/laziness. I started back this week and experienced at least a 1/3 decrease in reps. That would never happen when I was in my 30s or 40s. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 8/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, GoPokes83 said:

Call and ask them to hook you up with a Cologuard test. Other than carrying that box with poo in it into the mail place and everyone knowing what’s in it it’s painless, and gives you some peace of mind.

I did this and I soooooo wanted to tell the ups store guy my poo poo was flying to Cleveland. Poop jokes never get old. 

• Like 1

A fellow on another board explained how the aorta valve replacement goes, and I guess the cardio surgeon will elaborate at my appointment with him this afternoon….

It is called a TAVR-Trans catheter (a small tube inserted in your groin or elseware) Aortic Valve Replacement. Edwards Lifesciences usually is the valve system used. It is a very refined procedure, performed in a cardiovascular lab setting. A cardio-thoracic surgeon is there, an interventional cardiologist is there along with a whole team of reps, CV staff, and Anesthesia. They access the area usually (but not always) thru the notch in your groin, to the side of your stuff, and thread guidewires up your outflow tract (arteries) until they get in just the right place. They use Fluoroscope's, (X2) to make sure it is in the right spot, along with a TEE (trans-esophageal echo) very accurate! The CT surgeon deploys the valve, pushing the old one out of the way. It seats in place, they check it carefully to make sure it is performing, and off you go! They use anticoagulants during the procedure, use another drug to reverse them, and check the ACT (Active coagulation time) to make sure you are within the given parameters. The other version is cutting your sternum and cutting the heart open and replacing it that way. Both have + and -'s. The TAVR's are rather elegant and much easier to recover from. Follow what they say, relax and let the pro's do their thing, be forthright with Anesthesia and the interventionalist and you will be back on the range before the price of ammo goes up! Best of luck! 38 years in the business, I am a Cardio-Anesthesia tech and see these done all the time!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 1:02 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

On the prostate exam vs. PSA comments, my doctor stopped the digital exams 8-10 years ago. I thought he forgot one year, but my doctor wife asked him, and he said the PSA was standard now.

Regarding exercise, I am also doing higher reps with moderate weights. But, I lose ground much more quickly these days. For example, one thing I was doing fine up until the week of my daughter’s wedding in late July, but then I missed 3 full weeks due to that plus traveling/laziness. I started back this week and experienced at least a 1/3 decrease in reps. That would never happen when I was in my 30s or 40s. 

My doctor still does the digital and he closely monitors my PSA.  My dad beat prostate cancer twice and my grandfather also had it.  So maybe it’s different with family history.  I hate the exam.  Something you never get used to.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

I have a 4 years old.  I will be 62 when she graduates.

I did enjoy myself quite a little bit and got married at 38.

What I really need to do is get snipped.

I had a cousin whose youngest graduated HS when he was 38. He had a vasectomy the year she was born. They were going to be home/kid free by 42. Then his dumbass wife wanted another, so he paid to have his vasectomy reversed and she had a kid at 40. 

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, HouTex said:

My doctor still does the digital and he closely monitors my PSA.  My dad beat prostate cancer twice and my grandfather also had it.  So maybe it’s different with family history.  I hate the exam.  Something you never get used to.  

No family history of prostate cancer, so maybe that makes it standard practice for me. Or, perhaps my simpleton mind interpreted it that way. 

Did you father have radiation or surgery the first go round?

Left the sports medicine clinic earlier today. I went because I was having constant shoulder pain. At first he kept saying probably a bone spur. Wrong. Torn rotator cuff and he said if I wait more than a couple of months it will be irreparable. I ask him how it happened because I take a ton of precautions to protect it after surgery on my other shoulder. He said arthritis and bone spurs just shredded it over the years. Last time it was hell. Someone please tell me they had rotator cuff surgery and it was easy.