Getting old sucks

Hate

On 5/3/2023 at 10:51 PM, GoPokes83 said:

When the spine Dr tells you there’s going to be a slight pinch with an injection he’s straight up lying to you. Solid 9 out of 10 on the pain scale!

Mrs. Brat had an epidural when in labor with our youngest son. 
As a result, ever since then about once a week she experiences a day or more of near-incapacitating back pain. 
The kid is 51 now.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

As a result, ever since then about once a week she experiences a day or more of near-incapacitating back pain. 
The kid is 51 now.

Haysus Christi! I've heard of a few women having minor problems for a very limited time but that's ridiculous. 

I'd be PO'd to the gills.

• Hook 'Em 2

The kid is 51 now.

That’s seriously fucked up. Damn man.

GD United health cut my 89 year old mother's rehab after 14 days when she fell and had a small brain bleed along with a broken right arm. Bastard doctors that decide this without ever seeing the patient should lose their license.

Arm was broken close to the shoulder and she has macular degeneration, but not a fall risk.

Edited by deter
Add

On 5/10/2023 at 8:50 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Fascist bastards at the insurance company denied my Dr.'s order for Synvisc One injections so just got another round of cortisone shots. Left one took forever, Doc said "Sorry man there's not really any room in there for this" 

My knee X-ray looks way better than yours and my right knee hurts like a bastard. The last set of gel shots I got late February/early March never really had any effect, except on my bank account.  I’m on track for my 2nd total knee replacement around the end of the year.  It’s a tough recovery but it’s worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I did a sleep study about 20 years ago, and they said I needed a CPAP.  I used it twice and said fuck that shit.  I'm still alive, and I doubt it's going to be a sleep disorder that eventually kills me.  I'm still trying to recover from walking my dog.  I was walking him a couple of days ago, and he jerked the leash when he saw another dog.  I must have pulled a muscle in my ribcage because it has been extremely painful to breathe, much less sneeze or cough.

Dying during sleep doesn't sound so bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Thanks. Was just asking because my mother has an issue with her tricuspid valve that they are saying they can’t replace.

Had to look that one up. Not good if it can’t be replaced. Is there any kind of other treatment they can do for her?

Mine is getting calcified, which is making it difficult to close all the way. So I am getting some backwash. Left untreated, it would be an eventual demise.
He says the “new” (previously used) valve from Bossy can last up to 10 years, but they average about six for my age group. A second one can be done if necessary, from what I’ve read.

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Had to look that one up. Not good if it can’t be replaced. Is there any kind of other treatment they can do for her?

Mine is getting calcified, which is making it difficult to close all the way. So I am getting some backwash. Left untreated, it would be an eventual demise.
He says the “new” (previously used) valve from Bossy can last up to 10 years, but they average about six for my age group. A second one can be done if necessary, from what I’ve read.

Ask for one from Bevo, not Bossie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Re: the 105 year old guy, is there an age limit to such surgeries?  Maybe it depends on the individual.  My father was basically falling apart before he passed a couple of years ago at 91.  His heart was failing and the docs basically told us he wasn’t a candidate for surgery or replacement.  The family was ok with that.  He was suffering from many ailments, including Parkinson’s, so we didn’t want to prolong a shitty existence.  

• Like 1

Re: the 105 year old guy, is there an age limit to such surgeries?  Maybe it depends on the individual.  My father was basically falling apart before he passed a couple of years ago at 91.  His heart was failing and the docs basically told us he wasn’t a candidate for surgery or replacement.  The family was ok with that.  He was suffering from many ailments, including Parkinson’s, so we didn’t want to prolong a shitty existence.  

A Dr wanted to do a double mastectomy on my 97 year old grandmother who was quickly heading into dementia when they found a few spots “just to be safe.” We declined. But if the old guy still has all his wits about him and is in otherwise good health why not? Kind of surprised insurance would cover it though.
  • Hook 'Em 2

My Grandpa has valve replacement surgery in his mid to late 80’s. He dies shortly after turning 100, but he did have some pretty good years during that time. It’s all about the brain, imo. If the person is still sharp and able minded, why not give them a shot at a few more years? 

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

My Grandpa has valve replacement surgery in his mid to late 80’s. He dies shortly after turning 100, but he did have some pretty good years during that time. It’s all about the brain, imo. If the person is still sharp and able minded, why not give them a shot at a few more years? 

Well, if my cardiologist finds out I post here, that’ll get me dropped off his list.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

An overlooked aspect of getting old is having to deal with older parents. As you are trying to figure your shit out, you have to help them figure their shit out. At some point  I'll be scheduling my doctor appointments on the same day as my mom's, so we knock it out in one day. Which means we will be at the doctor's office when they open for a 10am appointment.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 3

An overlooked aspect of getting old is having to deal with older parents. As you are trying to figure your shit out, you have to help them figure their shit out. At some point  I'll be scheduling my doctor's appointments on the same day as my mom's, so we knock it out in one day.

Yeah, it's awful trying to figure all of the old parents' stuff out. I'm learning something daily, sometimes hourly.

I think there's a thread somewhere about dealing with aging parents.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/24/2023 at 10:33 AM, HouTex said:

On 5/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, Hate said:

It's a quality of life thing - the VA gave my Grandfather a mitral valve replacement at 87, because they looked at his overall health and determined he could have a good quality of life afterwards. After recovering  for 2 months he went dancing 4 nights a week until Covid shut down the senior scene and passed away at 100 last spring. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, Armybrat said:

The aortic valve in da heart.

Doc says he uses cow valves. Says he has done about 100 per year for the past 15 years or more.

My mother had 3 mitral valve replacements in 2 years back in the 90s.

The first was a mechanical “flap” design which failed when scar tissue started to grow over it to the point that it almost completely sealed off.

The second was a mechanical “”screw” design that became infected. It took them entirely too long to identify that the source of her infection symptoms was the valve and to get back a culture that would allow them to identify the bacteria and get her on the right antibiotics. I kept asking them to assume the worst and bring out the big boy antibiotics, but they waited until the valve was rotted to the point that the surgeon didn’t even need a scalpel to remove it.

The third was a porcine (pig) valve that lasted almost 5 years until the f’n C got her.

Note:  Not trying to sound pessimistic, just pointing out that an animal valve did the trick.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

This past Friday one of our key engineers "retired" after 25 years of service to return to Pennsylvania to run the family farm.  His parents and uncles, who have been running the operation, are now getting to an age where they can no longer keep up with all of it as they manange a couple of thousand acres.

It is hard for me to believe that I had already been with the company for 9 years when he started.  There have been many other individuals that retired after decades of employment during my employment period but I did not know them their entire career.  His "retirement" hit me pretty hard and I must say that I shed a tear or two in telling him "bye" knowing too that my day is coming to retire further reinforcing that I am getting older.  Certainly there are other things to remind me that I am getting older like having a 31 year old daughter, a 28 year old son, and two young granddaughters, but this really has hit me hard.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The third was a porcine (pig) valve that lasted almost 5 years until the f’n C got her.

Note:  Not trying to sound pessimistic, just pointing out that an animal valve did the trick.

11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, my docs said there was an increased risk of strokes if they used a mechanical valve..

My Grandad had a pig valve - worked like a champ for 14 years. @Armybrat you should see if you can source your own from a feral hog.

I almost fell down the stairs here at work. Don't know if I slipped or my knee gave out. I was able to flail out and catch myself on the railing but I scraped my knuckle on the brick wall. Also, my knees are screaming from having to suddenly bend and take all of my weight. My big toe is on fire as well, I think it got caught under me.

Now, as hilarious as that is, I can't lie. After some of that nervous laughter you get after you avoid a serious catastrophe, I got scared. What if I had just smashed my face on the landing or worse, broke something? My heart was pounding like a mofo when I was telling my coworker about this. If I wasn't busy today, I'd just go home. #pussyalert 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

I almost fell down the stairs here at work. Don't know if I slipped or my knee gave out. I was able to flail out and catch myself on the railing but I scraped my knuckle on the brick wall. Also, my knees are screaming from having to suddenly bend and take all of my weight. My big toe is on fire as well, I think it got caught under me.

Now, as hilarious as that is, I can't lie. After some of that nervous laughter you get after you avoid a serious catastrophe, I got scared. What if I had just smashed my face on the landing or worse, broke something? My heart was pounding like a mofo when I was telling my coworker about this. If I wasn't busy today, I'd just go home. #pussyalert 

The above bolded is where I am.  What if...I would like to think that my abundant cautioness these days is a direct result of industry, etc. constantly preaching SAFETY by identifying risks before, during, and after and mitigating them in some way and me taking those lessons into my personal life.  In reality I am simply getting old and the agility, responsiveness, recovery time is simply not what it used to be.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:20 AM, Sandman said:

Mrs. Brat fell down a short 3 stair flight in London 5 years ago at St. Paul’s Cathedral.
 Hit the stone floor with her face….blood spattered, broke her nose, broke her left wrist (required surgery to put it back together with a titanium plate and a bunch of screws), and bruised her legs so bad she couldn’t walk for two weeks. Never mind all the swelling in her face and both hands & legs.
Pretty rough spill for a 73 year old woman. I thought briefly she had killed herself.

53602332-3094-426B-A0F5-6F2C66FAC422.jpeg

88AA1657-9AAF-4AFF-8B33-87379FBEDA24.jpeg

5961583B-706B-4A08-BE90-28EB5841B257.jpeg

424945A8-402B-4B11-B3F3-0C30941DAD10.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

There’s an entire subset of our society that make too much for Medicare,but not enough for insurance. I had Radiofrequency Ablations done in a few visits over the last 8 weeks (getting old sucks) and my copay has been under 200 bucks total, looking over some insurance stuff this afternoon and I see the doctor’s office has billed insurance around $14,500 for the procedure so far with a few follow up’s scheduled. I guess all those folks just either do without or incur crippling debt if they can find someone willing to do treatments without paying up front.

9 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

There’s an entire subset of our society that make too much for Medicare,but not enough for insurance. I had Radiofrequency Ablations done in a few visits over the last 8 weeks (getting old sucks) and my copay has been under 200 bucks total, looking over some insurance stuff this afternoon and I see the doctor’s office has billed insurance around $14,500 for the procedure so far with a few follow up’s scheduled. I guess all those folks just either do without or incur crippling debt if they can find someone willing to do treatments without paying up front.

My daughters and wife work for BCBS. I understand why everyone complains about insurance companies being heartless corporations who just want to collect your money and then not pay for anything. But the reason they fight every bill is because of crap like that. A lot of the doctors they deal with have no business acumen and hire their barely literate niece to run the billing department. They believe they can get around the limits set by insurance companies by submitting outrageously oversized bills, hoping that insurance will miss something and overpay. The submitted bill for my shoulder surgery was $52,000. They ended up settling at $11,000. The doctor still made money or he wouldn't work with my insurance. You can't believe the quack procedures and charges they try to submit. Many not based in any scientific fact but more like medicine by Facebook. The sad part is that all the incompetent quacks/crooks cause such a crackdown that innocent and well meaning doctors get hurt in the process.  

• Hook 'Em 1