Voter Suppression

Pancho

11 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

it's weird.  corporations have suddenly become the only citizens with both moral courage and power to follow it.  i don't like it.

This trend really just reinforces how out of the mainstream the current GOP is operating. I don't take this as an indictment of the state of our brand of capitalism. There are other really damning indicators, though.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, crash_davis said:

I am absolutely amazed that the only way one party seems to think they can keep power is to stymie the democratic process.

Are you really amazed at that? Really? 

Not too long ago some Republican admitted (publicly) that the GOP would not win elections (or have a very difficult time winning) if voting was basically opened up to all eligible voters. 

I'm discouraged, disgusted, and depressed. But not surprised/amazed at this at all. In fact, I'd be more amazed if the GOP weren't doing this sort of thing.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, Buzzrock said:

Let’s have a moment of silence for all the people who succumbed to hunger and thirst while waiting to vote.

Is this sarcasm? A joke?

I gotta admit, when I first read this my thought was "just what the fuck is your problem"? Making light of voter suppression? 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'll be impressed if the PGA pulls out of The Masters.  Until then....big fucking meh. 

11 minutes ago, softlynow said:

The PGA, European Tour and Japan Golf Tour could all pull out, and the tournament would go on as scheduled. IBM might pull its sponsorship, and we'd get to see TM commercial-free again. Augusta National and CBS aren't messing with that weekend anytime soon.

If Delta and Coca-Cola had stones they'd float HQ relocation plans.

Softly has it. I start paying attention until the big businesses start moving corporate headquarters. Which would be expensive as fuck, and that's not even including if they paid to relocate many of their lower age employees. So they'd be essentially hurting many of the people they're trying to stick up for by taking away their jobs. But still, I'm fucking cheering for it. But yeah, it will take these guys actually having the stones to seriously cost their stockholders money and/or take a huge financial loss by moving locations before this really gets the attention of people. 

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't follow the PGA closely.  If all those organizations pulled out of the Masters, would players still show up?  

My guess is yes, b/c probably roughly 70% of PGA fans are Trumpkins and back voter suppression.  Can't piss off the base. 

Yes, but I doubt his issue is resonating largely enough to register to even the minority of tour players who lean center or left.

The event is a money event on those tours, but Augusta National runs it, and funds the purse.

Will viewership be down? Maybe, but not much. Then again non-golfing Trumpkins and "liberal tears" could mean higher viewership.

But if you dig into the finances of the tournament, you'll realize it's actually pretty impervious to this kind of thing. Hell, if they lost all corporate sponsorship they could easily make up that lost revenue in a weekend of concessions, charging normal captive audience prices instead of the insanely low $1.50 for a pimento cheese sandwich, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Softly has it. I start paying attention until the big businesses start moving corporate headquarters. Which would be expensive as fuck, and that's not even including if they paid to relocate many of their lower age employees. So they'd be essentially hurting many of the people they're trying to stick up for by taking away their jobs. But still, I'm fucking cheering for it. But yeah, it will take these guys actually having the stones to seriously cost their stockholders money and/or take a huge financial loss by moving locations before this really gets the attention of people. 

They need to be making those overtures simply quiet that idiotic talk of retributive taxes on their operations.

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

They need to be making those overtures simply quiet that idiotic talk of retributive taxes on their operations.

No doubt, I absolutely don't think they're rattling their sabers hard enough right now. That being said, what are the safely blue states many of these guys could relocate to, that also make sense? I feel like there's not all that many. Maybe cheap real estate in Manhattan after the pandemic, but then the cost of living raises would be a bear. No one wants to relocate to fucking California. Colorado? Deleware? Philly? Boston? 

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No doubt, I absolutely don't think they're rattling their sabers hard enough right now. That being said, what are the safely blue states many of these guys could relocate to, that also make sense? I feel like there's not all that many. Maybe cheap real estate in Manhattan after the pandemic, but then the cost of living raises would be a bear. No one wants to relocate to fucking California. Colorado? Deleware? Philly? Boston? 

Why not solidify a newly captured state, and stay in the south? Plenty of room for development in Virginia. They could double down on the posturing and threaten to give DC it's third area hub by ditching ATL Hartsfield for BWI Thurgood Marshall.

2 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Why not solidify a newly captured state, and stay in the south? Plenty of room for development in Virginia. They could double down on the posturing and threaten to give DC it's third area hub by ditching ATL Hartsfield for BWI Thurgood Marshall.

I mean, that's a really good idea. You should email Delta and Coke. 

So I don't like what the GOP is doing at all, and I think company's should be free to react how they see fit, but what does it mean when half of a country is effectively issuing sanctions and embargoes against the other half and vice versa?

Yeah, it’s not half vs half. That’s kind of the root of the issue.

Delta, specifically, could easily relocate to MSP tomorrow. Of course, hyperbole, and I don’t think they would, but that avenue exists.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, it’s not half vs half. That’s kind of the root of the issue.

Noted.  The 40% that love them some Trump are still a large enough portion of the country that the country is effectively divided.

Also, Delta and Coke are posturing. If they actually cared they’d have opposed the bill before it passed. They only reworked their stance after the public called them out. Fortune 500s and the GOP are on the same team.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Also, Delta and Coke are posturing. If they actually cared they’d have opposed the bill before it passed. They only reworked their stance after the public called them out. Fortune 500s and the GOP are on the same team.

Imo, you're asking way too much of corporations if you expect them to oppose legislation before it's passed. Why would they want to get down in the political mudhole?

And imo recently it seems that the GOP and Fortune 500 aren't always on the same team.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I believe that's a precursor to civil war.

Yep.

• A minority of the 40% tried to violently overturn the election on Jan 6th, which failed
  • The whole of the 40% enacted laws to limit the ability of the other 60% to choose their governance
  • Then the 60% started waging economic war on the 40% in response

There's only one logical end to a continuation of that cycle.

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

They don’t need to do that. They just need to cut off donations to GOP politicians who support voter suppression and donate everything to their opponents. Thanks to conservative activist judges on the Supreme Court, corporations are people now and money is speech. So just force Kemp and his cronies out. They’ll cave in a heartbeat because the GOP has decided that money is everything in politics and if you threaten their lifeblood, they have nothing left.

It’s why the Republicans are so confused because their calculation is that if they keep corporate taxes low, those corporations will give them the money they need to stay in power so they think that anything they need to do in order to stay in power will be welcomed by the special interests they represent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They don’t need to do that. They just need to cut off donations to GOP politicians who support voter suppression and donate everything to their opponents. Thanks to conservative activist judges on the Supreme Court, corporations are people now and money is speech. So just force Kemp and his cronies out. They’ll cave in a heartbeat because the GOP has decided that money is everything in politics and if you threaten their lifeblood, they have nothing left.

It’s why the Republicans are so confused because their calculation is that if they keep corporate taxes low, those corporations will give them the money they need to stay in power so they think that anything they need to do in order to stay in power will be welcomed by the special interests they represent. 

I find this optimistic. Corporations know many Rs will win so they will donate anyway while sending our press releases saying voter suppression is bad. They’ve been mostly successful at having it both ways the last 50 or 150 years. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I find this optimistic. Corporations know many Rs will win so they will donate anyway while sending our press releases saying voter suppression is bad. They’ve been mostly successful at having it both ways the last 50 or 150 years. 

Call me Billy Mumphrey.

Okay, donate to their primary challengers. I know they need to play both sides. But the point is that they don’t need to move their operations or their HQ’s. They can use the donation strength given to them by the GOP against the ones who are threatening our democracy. Thanks to Citizens United, the more money you have to spend, the more speech you have. Exercise the power.

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Call me Billy Mumphrey.

Okay, donate to their primary challengers. I know they need to play both sides. But the point is that they don’t need to move their operations or their HQ’s. They can use the donation strength given to them by the GOP against the ones who are threatening our democracy. Thanks to Citizens United, the more money you have to spend, the more speech you have. Exercise the power.

I haven’t seen it happen yet. I see threats to do it. There was a period and a few statements saying corporations would withhold from politicians who supported the insurrection as well. Get back to me on that shit closer to 2022

18 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll take them closing the campaign donation spigots to all things GOP related as a starter.

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hey so would I. Waiting for that to happen. I wont hold my breath as ive stated above. 

I’ll hold my breath until they use shifts in campaign donations, or the threat to do so, in order to make a change. You hold your breath until they move their headquarters out of state in order to force a change. Let’s see which one of us is more likely to survive. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll hold my breath until they use shifts in campaign donations, or the threat to do so, in order to make a change. You hold your breath until they move their headquarters out of state in order to force a change. Let’s see which one of us is more likely to survive. 

Clearly you misread the part where I said I'm not holding my breath on any of this shit period. But you feel free to hold yours and we can see who survives.

Answer: Probably not democracy. 

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I haven’t seen it happen yet. I see threats to do it. There was a period and a few statements saying corporations would withhold from politicians who supported the insurrection as well. Get back to me on that shit closer to 2022

Many corporations made that promise in January. You'll be shocked to find out they're already walking it back.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Clearly you misread the part where I said I'm not holding my breath on any of this shit period. But you feel free to hold yours and we can see who survives.

Answer: Probably not democracy. 

No, I saw that. But you were talking about moving headquarters out of state. I was talking about something that could actually happen in practical reality. Maybe it won’t, but at least it could. So when you respond with, ‘Nope! Dream on, that will never happen,’ I’m not sure where you’re coming from nor why you brought up the notion of moving HQ’s in the first place. If it’s a competition between possible solutions that won’t work, I think I’m the winner here. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

No, I saw that. But you were talking about moving headquarters out of state. I was talking about something that could actually happen in practical reality. Maybe it won’t, but at least it could. So when you respond with, ‘Nope! Dream on, that will never happen,’ I’m not sure where you’re coming from nor why you brought up the notion of moving HQ’s in the first place. If it’s a competition between possible solutions that won’t work, I think I’m the winner here. 

You seem to be missing my overarching point, so let me put it another way: The likelihood of a HQ moving out of state OR them shutting down funding are about equal in likelihood in my estimation. I'm not sure in what world you think a corporate entity shooting itself in the dick politically in gerrymandered red states is any more likely than spending money to relocate their HQ. Can you quantify why your scenario is more "likely" and support with facts or maybe scholarly articles? Wait, nevermind, I don't fucking care. Because they're both not fucking happening. Hence my, "Wake me up when" and "I won't hold my fucking breath" comments. 

I brought up moving  HQ  as an illustration of "I'm not taking any of this seriously until _____________." It's not some fantastical thing I think is going to happen. It's literally the opposite, me giving an outrageously unlikely scenario to illustrate just how little I believe their current actions mean. Like, "Wake me up when Kate Beckinsale calls me up for a marathon fuck weekend" or "I'll believe America is fundamentally improving when the state of Ohio stops being full of backwards fuckholes." See how that works? But I'm glad you think your plan is more likely to happen than my illustration that was specifically brought up to emphasize how likely their current actions matter. So...congrats?

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You seem to be missing my overarching point, so let me put it another way: The likelihood of a HQ moving out of state OR them shutting down funding are about equal in likelihood in my estimation. I'm not sure in what world you think a corporate entity shooting itself in the dick politically in gerrymandered red states is any more likely than spending money to relocate their HQ. Can you quantify why your scenario is more "likely" and support with facts or maybe scholarly articles? Wait, nevermind, I don't fucking care. Because they're both not fucking happening. Hence my, "Wake me up when" and "I won't hold my fucking breath" comments. 

I brought up moving  HQ  as an illustration of "I'm not taking any of this seriously until _____________." It's not some fantastical thing I think is going to happen. It's literally the opposite, me giving an outrageously unlikely scenario to illustrate just how little I believe their current actions mean. Like, "Wake me up when Kate Beckinsale calls me up for a marathon fuck weekend" or "I'll believe America is fundamentally improving when the state of Ohio stops being full of backwards fuckholes." See how that works? But I'm glad you think your plan is more likely to happen than my illustration that was specifically brought up to emphasize how likely their current actions matter. So...congrats?

I think you’re arguing just for the sake of argument at this point. I think we’re done here. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think you’re arguing just for the sake of argument at this point. I think we’re done here. 

Agreed. But thanks for your rabbit hole of "My impossible fantasy is way more likely than your impossible fantasy" fan fiction accounting.

Edited by SydneyCarton

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Agreed. But thanks for your rabbit hole of "My impossible fantasy is way more likely than your impossible fantasy" fan fiction accounting.

But.....my wife and I are still gonna spend a sexy time weekend with Sela Ward, right?  That's still happening, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hard to say. I think we'd need to see pics of your wife. 

Picture Sela Ward.

I mean, I'm not saying that's really what my wife looks like.  I'm saying "picture Sela Ward," because she's awesome, and picturing her should put a smile on your face.  And I, as always, am here to be a ray of sunshine.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Picture Sela Ward.

I mean, I'm not saying that's really what my wife looks like.  I'm saying "picture Sela Ward," because she's awesome, and picturing her should put a smile on your face.  And I, as always, am here to be a ray of sunshine.

Nice. But I believe the point I was attempting to make is that your wife’s attractiveness is probably the lynchpin to your dream weekend. Because it’s probably not yours, sir. Sela has standards. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nice. But I believe the point I was attempting to make is that your wife’s attractiveness is probably the lynchpin to your dream weekend. Because it’s probably not yours, sir. Sela has standards. 

It's definitely not his.

• Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your point is fair, and accurate, but deeply hurtful and therefore I will ignore it and continue my weekend planning.  Gotta find someplace quiet and private, with a hot tub.....

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Your point is fair, and accurate, but deeply hurtful and therefore I will ignore it and continue my weekend planning.  Gotta find someplace quiet and private, with a hot tub.....

you forgot access to snacks. Allow me to suggest:Allsup's is keeping its name, no layoffs or price changes expected after  sale to Yesway » Albuquerque Journal

5f7ALEpO3D45V_7MG8iO2xJhpwenj5Yej1EwIaXj

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

We’ll know this latest trend is real if the SEC starts making noise about the SECCG and the Kickoff Classic.

I ain’t holding my breath though,

BRING IT HOME TO LEGION FIELD, COWARDS.

Lol.  The SEC will refuse to play games in any state that doesn’t enact Jim Crow laws.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2