2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Give me a fucking break. That’s not a foul on PJ. Can’t beat the Warriors if they are getting all the calls 

Yup. Why I stopped watching the nfl too. Its just sloppily rigged. At least the nfl has it down where they can make it kind of exciting.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Well, we're not out of anything yet.  CP3 can do a lot more and make some damned layups.

Win game 2 and get a split in GS and we're fine.

Really hope so. D'Antoni is going to have to make some changes on the fly. The Warriors are defending the ISO well enough to win.

I always thought it would be a tall order to win this series; however, I thought we’d win Game 1. This is really disappointing. Worse feeling than when the Astros lost 3 straight in NY to the Yankees. I am calling it a night. I’m not going to watch the postgame show and watch Charles slob the knob of thevWarriors

tonight is deflating because if you had told me before the game that harden, paul, capela and gordon would combine to score 91 points on 34/61 shooting, i absolutely would have expected the rockets to win the game.

i'm not giving up, but everyone is going to have to contribute in order to beat the warriors.  

• Like 1

I think another big issue I want to see get better is in the big games like tomorrow will harden rise above or after one or two games think they can’t win the series so fuck it and throw in the mental towel. We brought cp3 in to change that with his vocal leadership so I want to see them play balls out. 

Obviously none us can see it because the warriors seem completely unbeatable and that is true until someone proves otherwise. When they added KD they created a super team that won’t ever be beaten in a 7 game series barring injury or salary cap changes and they lose key parts. Pretty depressing knowing the entire league is on the outs tonone team for the next 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
10 hours ago, Chapo said:
When you let Klay shoots 15! 3s you arent gonna win the game

this was it. and 12 of them were wide-tha-fuck open.

Not surprisingly, Klay did alot of damage after Ariza went to the bench with 5 fouls

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Luc and PJ need to come to play

Yep. Warriors didn't care about them shooting... so, if your shot isn't falling, you have to erase the closest guy every time down the floor... or you're Ryan Anderson.

https://theundefeated.com/features/houston-rockets-guard-eric-gordon-game-1-loss-to-warriors-this-is-going-to-be-different/

“I definitely would like to get the ball more for me to be aggressive and get good looks,” said Gordon, who took 13 shots. “Offensively with everybody, we really don’t get real good looks. … We can’t isolate as much against a good defensive team. I don’t care who you are. We have some of the best isolation players out there. But against a team like that, it’s going to be too tough.”

He'll be traded after this season... but he's right.

So... here's my simple analysis...  for the Rockets to win, they have to be able to find the best 2-on-2 matchup each time down the court.  GSW is going to switch everything, so the goal has to be not only to switch and get an on-ball advantage, but also an advantage at the next pass.

The obvious man-on-man advantage is going to be whomever vs. Curry - whether it's against the ball handler or the next pass. Find Curry.  If Harden or CP3 get Curry, go to work immediately and force GSW to help/rotate.

GSW knows this and will try to hide Curry on Ariza or PJ.  Don't care, put the ball in their hands and let them shoot over Curry.

Harden is going to get Thompson or Looney or KD... they're going to put bodies on him and hope he works his ass off for 40 points while not making others better.

imo, CP3 should be the primary ball handler, because he's going to get Thompson... make Thompson defend CP3 and let Harden and Capela get open looks as the next best 2-on-2 option. If Curry is on CP3, go to the lane and shoot a jumper.

GSW will counter the Curry abuse by going to a better defender.  That's fine.  Whomever replaces Curry is going to be less of an offensive threat.

Harden getting 40 is not as important as what happens when the ball leaves Harden's hands.  The next best option will almost never be whomever is guarded by Thompson or Green... unless it's Thompson on Capela at the rim) and it may not be whomever is guarded by KD (unless it's CP3 with an open floor).

Chris Paul needs to be Point God and set up Harden and Capela...  GSW is not going to let Harden facilitate. They'll let him be high percentage by himself.

BTW, the Celtics defend just like GSW (strategically, that is).  They're going to beat CLE, so even if Houston beats GSW, the defense of the Celtics is going to look similar, making points more difficult.

I could be wrong, but if the Rockets don't figure out how to get a 2:2 mismatch game going, this series won't make it back to Houston. If they do figure it out, the Rockets could still win (it all).