2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

If the Jazz take care of business tonight against the Thunder, it will have been a wonderful day of basketball.

EDIT: During the regular season, the largest margin of victory over the T-Wolves was 18 (happened 3 times). In this series, the Rockets have beaten them by 19 and 20 points.

Edited by UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

already has been.  fuck okc and all, but their winning and forcing a long series wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If the Jazz go up 3-1 tonight, they win in 6. I want Westbrook to lose in the first round so that we can hear the tired narrative that he has no help.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

If the Jazz go up 3-1 tonight, they win in 6. I want Westbrook to lose in the first round so that we can hear the tired narrative that he has no help.

Well, he doesn't.  Name one good teammate he's ever had.  You can't do it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Artificial Iverson said:

50 points is a record for the 3rd quarter playoffs and second most in any playoff qtr (51) in nba history. 

And the Lakers got to 51 in the 4th quarter in extended garbage time. They were down 28 after 3 to the Pistons in '62. Cut the lead to 7.

50 points in an NBA playoff game in which both teams are trying hard is insanity.

I'm still stoked about this team's chances this year, but we are gonna need to play lights out at least 1 quarter a game to get past the Warriors. They averaged something like 120 a game throughout the postseason in 2017. They are still a machine, and we need our A game to beat them. I hope we see more shit like this 3rd quarter, and get some crazy fun games. 

Jazz are very talented no doubt.  If we play them which seems likely( I know both teams still need to close out basketball gods) I think they will struggle with us defensively. The Jazz defense shuts down the midrange and the rim, but were very poor defending the 3pt line this year. The Jazz are built to beat up on teams like OKC, the warriors and rockets not so much. 

Jazz are very talented no doubt.  If we play them which seems likely( I know both teams still need to close out basketball gods) I think they will struggle with us defensively. The Jazz defense shuts down the midrange and the rim, but were very poor defending the 3pt line this year. The Jazz are built to beat up on teams like OKC, the warriors and rockets not so much. 
They're 3-1 vs golden State this year...

If Houston's hot(mvp harden, cp3, their cronies not 3/30 from deep) they're unbeatable, period.

If you get first half harden, game 2 harden, game 1 cronies, Utah can capitalize

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They're 3-1 vs golden State this year...

If Houston's hot(mvp harden, cp3, their cronies not 3/30 from deep) they're unbeatable, period.

If you get first half harden, game 2 harden, game 1 cronies, Utah can capitalize

Wow beating a starting lineup of McCaw, Looney, McGee, Swaggy P, and Cook really proves your point. You're right the Jazz are built to beat the Warriors I retract my point.....

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Nene has finally played like his age the last month and a half.. I wouldn't mind seeing Black out there once Capela checks out

No way Jose. Nene's purpose is to body up KAT. Nene is old, but he's very strong. Any points you get out of Nene are a bonus. If Black was on the floor, he'd be a defensive liability. The desire to play Nene more in the playoffs is why his minutes were so heavily restricted during the regular season.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, uoftorange said:
And the Rockets beat them 4-0 this season by 27, 11, 21 & 11

Your point? 3 of those games were before Christmas, and the jazz are playing some tremendous ball. This is a series where luc guarding Mitchell would be a huge decider if Houston cruises or Utah makes it ugly enough to be a real threat

I'm not sure how you could possibly not see my point.  Even though it really wasn't intended to be counter to yours.  More "impressive" that the Jazz have played well, but the Rockets still beat the shit out of them when they played them.  INCLUDING when they were hot.  

And since Dec 31st standings, 
Rockets 40-8
Toronto 35-13
Utah 32-13
Portland 31-16
GS 29-16
Indiana 29-17
New Orleans 29-18

They were the third best record, but lost 5 more games over that period and won 8 less than the Rockets.  And 3 of those Rockets losses were when they had already wrapped up 1st and it didn't matter.

So what is your point?  That the Rockets might not sweep them?  It can't be a thought that it's even remotely likely that the Jazz win or even take it to 7

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but fuck Utah.  Fuck the Utah Jazz.  Fuck John Stockton and fuck you, Karl Malone.

It was so fantastic when Malone went to the Lakers to try to get a fake title and failed.

Fucker.

All this..and fuck Carlos Boozer, AK 47, and Deron Williams for fucking up the Yao/TMac years

I'm not sure how you could possibly not see my point.  Even though it really wasn't intended to be counter to yours.  More "impressive" that the Jazz have played well, but the Rockets still beat the shit out of them when they played them.  INCLUDING when they were hot.   And since Dec 31st standings, 

Rockets 40-8

Toronto 35-13

Utah 32-13

Portland 31-16

GS 29-16

Indiana 29-17

New Orleans 29-18

They were the third best record, but lost 5 more games over that period and won 8 less than the Rockets.  And 3 of those Rockets losses were when they had already wrapped up 1st and it didn't matter.

So what is your point?  That the Rockets might not sweep them?  It can't be a thought that it's even remotely likely that the Jazz win or even take it to 7

My point is Utah's a better team than the Wolves. Maybe the individual talent isn't as good but they play better together. Outside of the third qtr yesterday and 2nd qtr of game 2, Houston has a lot left to be desired for their fans to be claiming "I ain't scurred". 

I still think Houston wins but they need to put together more complete games than the first 4 vs minny

Especially when you count on games that happened months ago to be any sort of burden of how it'll turn out next week

The narrative that you have to win every qtr to be viewed as "good" is dumb. The Rockets won A LOT of their games this year by being able to have explosion of points, That's their biggest advantage over everyone and what makes them equal to a GS. 

"Utah is better than the wolves". By one fucking game! And that's with Jimmy Butler missing how many games to even slide into 8th, so no I honestly don't think Utah is THAT much better than Minnesota, matter of fact after Houston and the Warriors I think the next 6 in the west are all pretty equal separated by a game or two. 

Like I said in a earlier post, The wolves were the 3 seed right as butler got hurt. They are not the traditional 8 seed.

I think Rockets vs. Jazz could very well be a tough series.  I'd much rather play Portland, NO, OKC, SA, or Minnesota.

Winning at Utah will not be easy at all. Gobert will make it more difficult for Houston to score in the paint.  Probably have to put Ariza on Donovan Mitchell, as we don't want Harden running around too much on D.  

The Jazz starting 5 is pretty salty. They don't have much of a bench outside of Crowder and O'Neal, but Rockets shorten their rotations as well and you don't really need more than 8 guys playing in the postseason.  Utah's been playing great team basketball for a few months now. 

56 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think Rockets vs. Jazz could very well be a tough series.  I'd much rather play Portland, NO, OKC, SA, or Minnesota.

Winning at Utah will not be easy at all. Gobert will make it more difficult for Houston to score in the paint.  Probably have to put Ariza on Donovan Mitchell, as we don't want Harden running around too much on D.  

The Jazz starting 5 is pretty salty. They don't have much of a bench outside of Crowder and O'Neal, but Rockets shorten their rotations as well and you don't really need more than 8 guys playing in the postseason.  Utah's been playing great team basketball for a few months now. 

You are either a fucking retard, or posting stupid shit to reverse some jinx. You obviously haven't been watching the Rockets much in the playoffs if you are thinking they have a short bench.

1 minute ago, Mack Tripper said:

Well we did have a 35 point lead at one point, with the entire 4th period being garbage time, and Joe Johnson and Tariq Black only played 2 minutes each and that's with Mbah a Moute out. 

He's routinely played 9 guys double digit minutes in this series with a major rotation piece out with injury, and Anderson missing the 1st 2 games.

You are either a fucking retard, or posting stupid shit to reverse some jinx. You obviously haven't been watching the Rockets much in the playoffs if you are thinking they have a short bench.

Good lord you spaz out. Half of your fan base wants to crucify ego for bricking 3s, Gerald green had 1 good game, ryno is getting his feet wet, Nene will get you 2 ppg.

Utah pretty much plays 2 or 3 starters at all time. Snyder has a hell of a rotation with jerebko, onealle and exum

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The Rockets have a much deeper bench than in years past, no doubt.  But generally D'Antoni likes to keep his rotations pretty tight in the postseason, as he's used mainly 7 or 8 man rotations in Phoenix and Houston.  Two of these games the Rockets were up 20+ heading to the 4th (Games 2 and 4), and Minny was up double digits after three quarters in Game 3.  Game 1 was only matchup so far where the score was close for the majority of the game, and that's been our tightest rotation of the series. 

Nene gets PT based on matchups, and I doubt he sees the court very much if we make it to WCF vs Golden State.  I'd guess we go to the smaller lineups with Anderson at 5 when Capela is on the bench. Will be interesting to see if they play Nene much vs. Utah, as the Jazz don't really run many plays for Gobert.  That's assuming Anderson stays healthy.

Gerald Green is taking Mbah a Moute's minutes right now, not sure he would be getting much PT with a healthy Luc. He obviously provides an offensive spark and I want him in if we're struggling to score. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Former Death Row Records CEO Suge Knight picked the Houston Rockets to win the 2018 NBA Finals while sitting in a courtroom. 

Per Marisa Gerber of the Los Angeles Times, after Knight was told to return to court in May for a criminal threats proceeding, the judge asked who he thought would win the NBA title.

"Houston," Knight answered.

The judge responded by telling Knight the Rockets are a "good pick."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772518-suge-knight-predicts-rockets-will-win-2018-nba-finals-when-asked-by-judge